Can we find our cutting edge and blunt the Blades? Sheffield Utd v BWFC 30/12/2017

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Can we find our cutting edge and blunt the Blades? Sheffield Utd v BWFC 30/12/2017

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:51 am

So we wearily trudge to Bramall Lane tomorrow, hoping to improve on a Championship away record which over the last 37 games currently reads W0 D9 L28. This seasons record of W0 D5 L7 is actually a roaring success compared to the debacle of 2015/16. The defeat to Middlesbrough on Tuesday highlighted our problems. We create very few chances, don't take the very few we do create, and are vulnerable to conceding all kinds of goals in defence, and are particularly vulnerable to any kind of pace and sharpness. And if our opponents initial plans don't work we are always good for an individual mistake.

Chris Wilder is a bit of a phenomenon at Sheffield Utd. A fan of the club who apparently sports a tattoo of the club badge, he comes across as very down to earth, very blunt, tells it at as it is, not obviously a deep thinking type. However what happens on the pitch suggests otherwise. His teams play a 3-5-2 system, but seem to it differently to everyone else. The wide centre backs have responsibility for both venturing into midfield to help the team dominate possession, and also to bomb down the wings when the wing backs have the ball in wide positions, creating an overload that often results in crosses coming into the box, and strikers and attacking midfielders and wing backs all in there looking to finish things off. The two holding midfielders are meant to drop deeper if necessary to maintain the shape. One might think the fact that nine of the ten outfield players are focused on attacking or keeping the ball, they could get caught out at the back, and certainly the scoreline of 4-5 v Fulham suggests this happens at times, but clearly not enough to prevent a team of mostly L1 players (in terms of experience at least) getting themselves into the Championship play off positions following last seasons emphatic promotion from L1. Things actually seemed to have faltered a little recently, coinciding with an injury to hitherto virtually ever present midfielder Paul Coutts. They went on a six match run of W0 D2 L4, before seeming to sort things out on Tuesday with a 3-0 win over Sunderland.

We have an important game at home to Hull less than 48 hours after the end of this game, so it would not be a surprise to see Parky tinker with the starting line up. It seems a lot to ask of Henry at 35 and Pratley at 32 in particular to play all four of these games in nine days, without being substituted. He might even change the shape to match up our opponents as he did for the home game in September, although we had had been playing that shape more often in that part of the season. Personally I can't see anything but a defeat here, but I hope to be proved wrong. 2-0 to them.
Last edited by bristol_Wanderer3 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Can we find our cutting edge and blunt the Blades? Sheffield Utd v BWFC 30/12/2017

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:37 am

Interesting read that, particularly with regards to their formation and attacking intent. A quick, incisive passing side could probably exploit the inevitable gaps that they leave at the back. Our slow, dimensional approach surely can't give us our first away win can it?

0-3 :(
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Can we find our cutting edge and blunt the Blades? Sheffield Utd v BWFC 30/12/2017

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:53 am

Did you know that it was Sheffield Wednesday who were "The Blades" way back in time and United were "The Cutters?" Well, if you didn't, you do now. :wink: Anyway, the Blades league position is a bit enviable compared to our own right now, but they haven't really had our problems of a few sorts, of late. It's a bit of a tough ask to collar the points here in Yorky land (it's only fifty odd miles away anyway) but it's not mission impossible. We probably won't be bookies' favourites to win, but like the chances of rain in Australia ruining a test match, you never know..oh, hang on a minute... :shock:

Ah well, just give a big COME ON YOU WHITES....er, shirts that is, not roses and....oh well whatever.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:33 am

I'd rest a few for this. Can't afford any suspensions or injuries going into the Hull match.

First team will get beat, so may aswell let a second string get beat
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:53 pm

This and the Derby match are my two 'home' fixtures, but I'm unfortunately still stuck darn sarf.
Nice intro Brizzle, but the pedant in me must point out that they play at Bramall Lane, not Bramhall (which is next door to Cheadle Hulme donchaknow!).

I don't see us winning, having a guess at 2-0 them.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:53 pm
This and the Derby match are my two 'home' fixtures, but I'm unfortunately still stuck darn sarf.
Nice intro Brizzle, but the pedant in me must point out that they play at Bramall Lane, not Bramhall (which is next door to Cheadle Hulme donchaknow!).

I don't see us winning, having a guess at 2-0 them.
Thanks, corrected.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:18 pm

By heck, looks a bit grim to be bart t'at round Ilkley Moor. Is the weather I've just seen on T.V around Huddersfield likely to affect the game? Will our hosts do a Sam and "forget" to switch the underfloor heating on? Gripping drama in't footy, by gum. :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 am

Taylor definitely out, also expected to be without Ameobi, Noone and Buckley. Sounds to me like a chance for Parky to play 4-4-2, give ALF a go, watch us get overrun in midfield and battered 5-1 - but “at least ALF offers us a goal threat” (The Bloke Behind You).

Not that I mind ALF, in fact I like him a lot, but his kind of box-only striker is increasingly hard to justify in yer modern game, Jamie. Take Jordan Rhodes, £12m or whatever, but the majority of his appearances for Struggling Wednesday this season have been from the bench.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:55 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 am
Taylor definitely out, also expected to be without Ameobi, Noone and Buckley. Sounds to me like a chance for Parky to play 4-4-2, give ALF a go, watch us get overrun in midfield and battered 5-1 - but “at least ALF offers us a goal threat” (The Bloke Behind You).

Not that I mind ALF, in fact I like him a lot, but his kind of box-only striker is increasingly hard to justify in yer modern game, Jamie. Take Jordan Rhodes, £12m or whatever, but the majority of his appearances for Struggling Wednesday this season have been from the bench.
Are those injuries or just restees DSB?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:58 am

Sammi out will be a massive loss. He's become a hub of setting things off and we don't really have anybody to touch his skills, at least as I can see. Parky reckons Alfie's game doesn't suit us and it's going to be hard going. If there's anything in your house still made of wood, touch it and hope.... :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:58 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:55 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 am

Are those injuries or just restees DSB?
Injuries and illness, per Iles in BN: Sammy swollen knee, Buckley thigh, Noone flu, Taylor calf. But PP has also mentioned the need to shuffle:

"The fixtures at this time of year are relentless and we need to have a good look at the freshness of players in the squad. We felt Saturday-Tuesday, under normal circumstances the lads would be ready to go again. We made one change [at Boro: Noone for Buckley] but I think we’ll have to think carefully going into Sheffield United and Hull.”

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:50 am

3-1 to Sheffield United.

Predictable team selection expected without Ameobi or Taylor.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:51 am

But we're usually such a threat away from home.

Play some of the kids, get everyone right for Hull.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:51 am

spot on

some of our fringe players and kids must be so desperate for a chance to prove/showcase themselves - that it could be a really interesting game
provided of course that parky makes some meaningful changes
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:15 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:51 am

spot on

some of our fringe players and kids must be so desperate for a chance to prove/showcase themselves - that it could be a really interesting game
provided of course that parky makes some meaningful changes
If he makes changes that don't work he'll get the blame for bad choices. If he doesn't make changes he'll be accused of bad management. Ih he makes changes that work, he'll be a hero....till next week. :lol:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:17 pm

:shock:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:28 pm
If he makes changes that don't work he'll get the blame for bad choices. If he doesn't make changes he'll be accused of bad management. Ih he makes changes that work, he'll be a hero....till next week. :lol:
Sooner than that: we play again in 48 hours, a six-pointer that could drag Hull right into it or see them over the horizon. And it's perhaps with that in mind that PP has made five changes.

Alnwick, Burke, Wheater, Beevers, Robinson, Morais, Pratley, Henry, Cullen, Le Fondre, Madine
Subs Turner, little, Vela, Buckley, Derik, Armstrong, Wilbraham

3-5-2?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Could Madine and Alf do a Toshack/Keegan, Quinn/Phillips up front? "You nod em down, I'll bang em in".....Anyway, we need to keep Billy Sharp and co quiet and I hope Vela and Little being out won't hurt us too much (although both are on the bench) . Sammi is a real blow, but hopefully we'll have a special delivery or two from the Mailman. So...COME ON YOU WHITES.. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Is that a 3-5-2?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:58 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:54 pm
Is that a 3-5-2?
Probably not. Maybe 1.9.1.... :wink: