Climbing the Championship tree, or mauled by Tigers? BWFC v Hull 1/1/2018 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Climbing the Championship tree, or mauled by Tigers? BWFC v Hull 1/1/2018 3pm

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm

The last time we won on New Years Day we went on to the Premier League via the playoffs.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Climbing the Championship tree, or mauled by Tigers? BWFC v Hull 1/1/2018 3pm

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:42 pm

What a game! Brought tears to my eyes at the final whistle because the team gave everything they had and it wasn't easy. Happy for the players and happy for the Manager. He needs KA to support him during the TW.

Madine was colossal. Based on how he is playing, he is now worth at least 8M if not more. Beevers and Burke were amazing and someone said on this Forum that Morais was not a Championship player. Well I tell you, he played the No. 10 roll very well today. Lots of energy in midfield with Vela and Cullen. Now we will struggle to keep Madine in January. He was THAT good.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Much kudos to the two Joshes. Disproved the thesis that they couldn't dig in and play in the deeper role. Notable furthermore that despite the notion that the only way to a clean sheet was with the massed experience of Henry/Pratley in front of Wheavers, we got this nil with (for the most part) only one of those four chaps, and the least heralded/experienced at that. No Plan B? Not on this evidence.

Credit to PP and staff for getting two very different 1-0s with two very different XIs, one by choice then one by circumstance. We'll now spend the thick end of a fortnight out of the drop zone and have two feasibly winnable games immediately thereafter. COYWM.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Madine has been great this season but that performance today was outstanding. Absolutely brilliant hold up play. Typical Gary though, he had to miss a sitter late on just to remind us of his shortcomings!
He had to miss a sitter to allow us to keep him. If he scores bags of goals and plays the way he is doing he'll become a big target.He has to have a few short-comings or off he'll go. He's essential to the game we play. They had Frazer Campbell up front who's no duckegg, but we won.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 pm
Someone has over done the sherry.
No. Goal scoring target men in the championship. Look how much they go for nowadays. Worth way more than 5M. He’s pretty much single handedly giving us a chance.

Of course it’s a great team effort. But he’s critical.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

Madine was absolutely immense. He made two really good defensive headers from corners really late on before he missed the sitter at the death. His all round game was superb.

Burke was superb, didn’t put a foot wrong.

I don’t think we played particularly well today and we were lucky to win - a draw was a fair result given the circumstances. Hull missed two MASSIVE sitters.

Our lads gave their all, there was some tired legs on show today - I’d give the squad two days off before Huddersfield.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:44 pm

We looked out on our feet at the end. To win that with the two big injuries in the first half, in that weather as well, fair play.

Having said that a second goal would have killed them - I thought they were rubbish. Definitley two teams that will be in the relegation mix. Shame we couldn’t get another, some of our build up play is decent at times when we don’t resort to aimless aerial stuff.

Thought Burke was top man. I said he was a waste of a squad place before so fair enough I was wrong. I would keep him in Jan. Cullen doesn’t do enough for me, I thought he looked lightweight again. We need better still in my opinion. Vela showed maturity as holding midfielder when Pratley went off. All defenders decent, Madine excellent again though f*ck me how he missed that one at the end!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:33 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
No. Goal scoring target men in the championship. Look how much they go for nowadays. Worth way more than 5M. He’s pretty much single handedly giving us a chance.

Indeed he is, in tactical terms but also in output. If we don't score we don't win, and bar Sammy's 3 in a four-game purple patch, nobody else has scored more than 2 in the league. He's scored 9 of our 25, and almost all of them have been relevant – that is, either levelling or putting us in front.

One of the unexpected effects of the internet age is that you don't often see scorers next to results. I grew up with the Saturday BEN listing all Wanderers' results complete with scorers (or absence thereof..) and when the season's info was displayed thusly, you knew just how reliant you were on one or two players - a JT, Tony P or Walker (others may well recall other names). It looked something a little like this: https://web.archive.org/web/20091027151 ... page9.html

So for fun, here's how this season's results look. For legal reasons I'm not allowed to list the opponents but I'll put the result, score and scorers...
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 19.10.54.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 19.10.54.png (30.78 KiB) Viewed 10788 times
I don't think there's any doubt that Madine is vital. Parky still needs to sign a striker in the window, but no longer necessarily as a replacement or an upgrade: more as an alternative or a rest option. If the newly teetotal Gaz should get injured (or suspended: he's on five yellows) we might end up in the same situation as last spring, except we'd be relying on the has-been Wilbraham rather than the never-will-be Conor Wilkinson - who on Boxing Day, by the way, managed his second goal in 16 tier-three games for Gillingham; strike partner Tom Eaves has scored nine...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:19 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Indeed he is, in tactical terms but also in output. If we don't score we don't win, and bar Sammy's 3 in a four-game purple patch, nobody else has scored more than 2 in the league. He's scored 9 of our 25, and almost all of them have been relevant – that is, either levelling or putting us in front.

One of the unexpected effects of the internet age is that you don't often see scorers next to results. I grew up with the Saturday BEN listing all Wanderers' results complete with scorers (or absence thereof..) and when the season's info was displayed thusly, you knew just how reliant you were on one or two players - a JT, Tony P or Walker (others may well recall other names). It looked something a little like this: https://web.archive.org/web/20091027151 ... page9.html

So for fun, here's how this season's results look. For legal reasons I'm not allowed to list the opponents but I'll put the result, score and scorers...

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 19.10.54.png

I don't think there's any doubt that Madine is vital. Parky still needs to sign a striker in the window, but no longer necessarily as a replacement or an upgrade: more as an alternative or a rest option. If the newly teetotal Gaz should get injured (or suspended: he's on five yellows) we might end up in the same situation as last spring, except we'd be relying on the has-been Wilbraham rather than the never-will-be Conor Wilkinson - who on Boxing Day, by the way, managed his second goal in 16 tier-three games for Gillingham; strike partner Tom Eaves has scored nine...
Saw a stat the other day that he’s either scored or assisted in 58% of our goals this season. It will be a higher percentage now than even that.

He’s also won more headers than any other player in the division.

There will still be people who try and deny how crucial he is to us. But it’s plain as day.

If we sell him we will go down. I’d not consider 5M. No chance. We will lose more if we go down. And thanks to Madine we have a chance now. A real chance. January is a huge month in more ways than one. I hope Ken can find some cash.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:04 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:44 pm
We looked out on our feet at the end. To win that with the two big injuries in the first half, in that weather as well, fair play.

Having said that a second goal would have killed them - I thought they were rubbish. Definitley two teams that will be in the relegation mix. Shame we couldn’t get another, some of our build up play is decent at times when we don’t resort to aimless aerial stuff.

Thought Burke was top man. I said he was a waste of a squad place before so fair enough I was wrong. I would keep him in Jan. Cullen doesn’t do enough for me, I thought he looked lightweight again. We need better still in my opinion. Vela showed maturity as holding midfielder when Pratley went off. All defenders decent, Madine excellent again though f*ck me how he missed that one at the end!
I'm shocked at you being critical of Cullen and praising Vela. Cullen I thought was excellent today when he came on. A real handful, offering both creativity and getting his foot in when it mattered.

Vela was fine today but I don't think he's developed into the player he can be yet. He's busy and puts the opposition under pressure but he needs to add more creativity /goal threat.

Only disappointment for me today was Buckley. There's a good footballer in there somewhere but it's just not happening for him at the mo. Young Robinson had a good second half after a very shaky first 45 minutes
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 pm

Agree with the above. I’m not sure what Buckley is but currently he’s useless. Young Robbo was awful 1st half but second half actually defended well. Also agree about Vela and Cullen. Vela went missing in midfield but Cullen offered something.

Tough calls now as to whether we extend loans for Cullen and Burke. Both good today. Burke would be a sensible one for me. Cullen I’m not sure can carry midfield in the way Pratley and Henry do, for me he’s best in a proper three man midfield, and with doubts over Pratley and Henry I wonder if he has to be sacrificed for some more senior cover?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:55 pm

Any ideas on how serious Pratley and Henry's injuries are? Both are pretty robust normally so it won't be an elestoplast and sponge down the shorts stuff. Hope neither is very serious and can get back for the next game.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Thought Vela was poor until he dropped back when Pratley went off, he then made some decent interceptions and put the yards in harrying. Cullen I just don’t get. He put his foot in a bit but didn’t do much with the ball. Seemed to lose his man a bit as well. I dunno, nothing major but not buying he was as good as some of the reviews. I wouldn’t extend his loan, I’d like to get someone better. If we could get a midfielder on loan who could use the ball and put his foot in a bit (someone like bannan when we had him) I’d take that over Cullen.

Interesting stuff on Madine, I still did my nut in when he picked up the ball for the free kick though! 😳🤭

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:06 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:56 pm
Thought Vela was poor until he dropped back when Pratley went off, he then made some decent interceptions and put the yards in harrying. Cullen I just don’t get. He put his foot in a bit but didn’t do much with the ball. Seemed to lose his man a bit as well. I dunno, nothing major but not buying he was as good as some of the reviews. I wouldn’t extend his loan, I’d like to get someone better. If we could get a midfielder on loan who could use the ball and put his foot in a bit (someone like bannan when we had him) I’d take that over Cullen.

Interesting stuff on Madine, I still did my nut in when he picked up the ball for the free kick though! 😳🤭
He played better than Vela. Josh was constantly out of position. He works hard, is an honest lad is Josh, but he's not a central midfielder.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:55 pm
Any ideas on how serious Pratley and Henry's injuries are? Both are pretty robust normally so it won't be an elestoplast and sponge down the shorts stuff. Hope neither is very serious and can get back for the next game.
Parky said Henry's was a tight hammy so isn't too serious. Pratley's is an injury to the ankle he injured last season and potentially could be more serious. He's having a scan tomorrow.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:40 pm

So glad (and relieved) that the two Josh's stood up so well in centre mid today as we were diabolical down either side. On the left Buckley had as poor a game as I've ever seen anyone have. Awful, and Anthoneeeeeeeeee reverted to novice mode once again. On the right Ameobi couldn't get his feet from under his newborn foal type legs. Little at right back though was coolness personified. Very impressive. Madine is now showing that he actually is the player that we hoped he might be for so long, but blimey Charlie - that header late on :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm
14 heroes out there today. So proud of my team tonight.

Madine has been great this season but that performance today was outstanding. Absolutely brilliant hold up play. Typical Gary though, he had to miss a sitter late on just to remind us of his shortcomings!

Big shouts to Little, Burke & Cullen who helped ensure Henry going off wasn't the bad news it might have been.

Very happy Wanderer here tonight :oyea:
This captures my overriding emotion. Once Pratley and Henry had gone off with an hour still to go, I expected 1-3 or 1-4. To be fair if they had taken that chance where they hit the post rather than tucking it into an empty net early in the second half, we probably would've lost. But we battled really well and put our bodies on the line to hold on. A really heroic effort, and huge credit to Parky for fostering that kind of spirit, and huge credit to the lads, particularly Vela, Cullen and Morais, who fought really well in the makeshift midfield. Our defence was immense. Burke motm for me. And Madine!! I still haven't come to terms that he can take world class free kicks! He has to be worth £10m. Doesn't get injured, leads the line really well, creates goals, scores goals. He is even developing a clever footballing brain and starting to look to find teammates in the box with clever passes. I just wish he wouldn't try to be clever with headers from two yards out. He could have saved us five minutes of nail biting.

I couldn't really figure out whether Hull are poor or not. They have a lot of decent players, knock it around well, but have no cohesion at all and look like eleven good individuals who have been brought together recently, and haven't really got to know each other yet. Why they insisted on passing the ball their defence in injury time when they desperately needed a goal I have no idea. It would've really annoyed me if I was one of their fans. It is possible they could be one of those teams who go down, despite being in the "too good to go down" bracket. Lets hope so.

This is going down to the wire. It sounds like Henry isn't seriously injured, but Pratley could possibly be. Obviously I hope they are both ok, but if one of them is to miss some games, then it is better to be Pratley rather than Henry. I don't think we could cope without Henry for a long period. Our spirit is great, and could be the key ingredient that keeps us up. FIngers crossed!

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:44 pm

I'm starting to believe again. We just need to win all our remaining games and we are up :lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:01 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I'm not disputing that he's crucial to our team due to the way we play. I'm not disputing he has exceeded expectations and deserves credit. But as usual, you're in absolutely amazing best thing since sliced bread or shitest thing ever. You're getting carried away. He's had half a good season at this level after being arguably the most useless in the division last time (ok, probably not, but not that far off).

I agree we shouldn't sell unless significant money is offered, but that's different to him suddenly being an 8m player. For me, he needs to stop missing the barn door from 3 inches as regularly as he does before he gets classed as a goalscorer...or at least bag 15-20 a season regularly.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:09 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:01 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

I'm not disputing that he's crucial to our team due to the way we play. I'm not disputing he has exceeded expectations and deserves credit. But as usual, you're in absolutely amazing best thing since sliced bread or shitest thing ever. You're getting carried away. He's had half a good season at this level after being arguably the most useless in the division last time (ok, probably not, but not that far off).

I agree we shouldn't sell unless significant money is offered, but that's different to him suddenly being an 8m player. For me, he needs to stop missing the barn door from 3 inches as regularly as he does before he gets classed as a goalscorer...or at least bag 15-20 a season regularly.
It does seem like hyperbole, or people getting carried away, but it is real. He is improving leaps and bounds almost from game to game at the minute. He had already made huge strides with his performances earlier in the season. But just in the last few games, he has added the ability to strike the ball better, and to become a leader, a bigger influence on the pitch. And he is getting himself in positions to get the chances, and he is putting a decent percentage of them away. Yes he still misses sitters, but all strikers should, because it takes mental bravery to keep getting into those positions. He has 9 in 26. He will get 15-20 this season the way he is going. And he has good workrate, he assists and clears danger in defence. And how many big target men don't get injured or suspended?? Hugill at Preston was the subject of an £8m bid in the summer, Zohore at Cardiff subject of a £10m bid. Right now Madine is better than both of them.