Climbing the Championship tree, or mauled by Tigers? BWFC v Hull 1/1/2018 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Climbing the Championship tree, or mauled by Tigers? BWFC v Hull 1/1/2018 3pm

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:27 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:09 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:01 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:33 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 pm
Someone has over done the sherry.
No. Goal scoring target men in the championship. Look how much they go for nowadays. Worth way more than 5M. He’s pretty much single handedly giving us a chance.

Of course it’s a great team effort. But he’s critical.
I'm not disputing that he's crucial to our team due to the way we play. I'm not disputing he has exceeded expectations and deserves credit. But as usual, you're in absolutely amazing best thing since sliced bread or shitest thing ever. You're getting carried away. He's had half a good season at this level after being arguably the most useless in the division last time (ok, probably not, but not that far off).

I agree we shouldn't sell unless significant money is offered, but that's different to him suddenly being an 8m player. For me, he needs to stop missing the barn door from 3 inches as regularly as he does before he gets classed as a goalscorer...or at least bag 15-20 a season regularly.
It does seem like hyperbole, or people getting carried away, but it is real. He is improving leaps and bounds almost from game to game at the minute. He had already made huge strides with his performances earlier in the season. But just in the last few games, he has added the ability to strike the ball better, and to become a leader, a bigger influence on the pitch. And he is getting himself in positions to get the chances, and he is putting a decent percentage of them away. Yes he still misses sitters, but all strikers should, because it takes mental bravery to keep getting into those positions. He has 9 in 26. He will get 15-20 this season the way he is going. And he has good workrate, he assists and clears danger in defence. And how many big target men don't get injured or suspended?? Hugill at Preston was the subject of an £8m bid in the summer, Zohore at Cardiff subject of a £10m bid. Right now Madine is better than both of them.
That's the key bit, lets see if he's still consistently doing it by end of season or this time next year. At the moment he's had a good season and been exceptionally good for the last few games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Climbing the Championship tree, or mauled by Tigers? BWFC v Hull 1/1/2018 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:30 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:27 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:09 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:01 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:33 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 pm
Someone has over done the sherry.
No. Goal scoring target men in the championship. Look how much they go for nowadays. Worth way more than 5M. He’s pretty much single handedly giving us a chance.

Of course it’s a great team effort. But he’s critical.
I'm not disputing that he's crucial to our team due to the way we play. I'm not disputing he has exceeded expectations and deserves credit. But as usual, you're in absolutely amazing best thing since sliced bread or shitest thing ever. You're getting carried away. He's had half a good season at this level after being arguably the most useless in the division last time (ok, probably not, but not that far off).

I agree we shouldn't sell unless significant money is offered, but that's different to him suddenly being an 8m player. For me, he needs to stop missing the barn door from 3 inches as regularly as he does before he gets classed as a goalscorer...or at least bag 15-20 a season regularly.
It does seem like hyperbole, or people getting carried away, but it is real. He is improving leaps and bounds almost from game to game at the minute. He had already made huge strides with his performances earlier in the season. But just in the last few games, he has added the ability to strike the ball better, and to become a leader, a bigger influence on the pitch. And he is getting himself in positions to get the chances, and he is putting a decent percentage of them away. Yes he still misses sitters, but all strikers should, because it takes mental bravery to keep getting into those positions. He has 9 in 26. He will get 15-20 this season the way he is going. And he has good workrate, he assists and clears danger in defence. And how many big target men don't get injured or suspended?? Hugill at Preston was the subject of an £8m bid in the summer, Zohore at Cardiff subject of a £10m bid. Right now Madine is better than both of them.
That's the key bit, lets see if he's still consistently doing it by end of season or this time next year. At the moment he's had a good season and been exceptionally good for the last few games.
We are in a transfer window now. He’s scored more this season than Hugill who Preston turned down 8M for. And Cavaleiro who Wolves signed for 7M.

He has 9 goals and 5 assists. He’s amongst the top strikers in this division on those stats alone.

If your argument is we sell him for 5M cos he’s been not very good in that past then that makes no sense. In the current window and current season, Madine is showing form that has for other players attracted bids well in excess of 5M. So we shouldn’t be selling for that amount.

He was very good last season too and is just getting better all the time. Target men tend to mature later and it’s clear in addition that Madine has needed a manager to sort his head out. Plus seems like he’s got rid of the long term back injury that restricted him last year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 am

Interesting words from Pratley after the Blades game. Obviously you'd expect the skipper to talk up a team-mate but it sounds like Gaz is making sensible decisions - starting with knocking the booze on the head. If that's true, he's making impressive sacrifices for the sake of self-improvement. Although he didn't score in the first three games after his latest (last?) arrest, he's scored five in the subsequent seven. Tangible rewards?

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... s_skipper/
That’s eight goals for him this season [after scoring at Bramall] and I don’t see why he can’t get 10-15 and establish himself as a Championship goal-scorer. He was brilliant today. Gaz has been really professional. He had a bit of trouble not too long ago but I think he’s gone teetotal – it can only be good for us. When we went out for the players’ Christmas do Gary didn’t come and that wasn’t the manager’s decision, it was his own choice. He’s focused and he hasn’t had a drink since that day and I think he’s reaping the rewards for it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 am

Christ, he's had a good month. He was wank two years ago, and inconsistent last year. Until a few weeks ago this season the main attributes getting him in our team was that he was 6ft tall and born this side of Suez.

I've been top of the list slagging him since he signed and so am more than happy to say how well he's been playing the last few weeks. He's always had the ability but it's between the ears that's held him back. Fair play on the dedication he is showing but it's easy to knock the booze on the head for a few weeks, and play well when things are going well. His problem in the past had always been how he's coped when things don't go his way. Let's see.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:05 am

By the way, I know we aren't the best supported side on earth and this isn't in anyway meant as a snide barb, but I thought we might have expected one or two more from Humberside yesterday.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:05 am
By the way, I know we aren't the best supported side on earth and this isn't in anyway meant as a snide barb, but I thought we might have expected one or two more from Humberside yesterday.
Aren't some of them boycotting until the Allams are gone?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:22 pm

At the moment he's bang on it. Playing with confidence and long may it continue. Pat on the back for him and great to see. We're a good side, when he's playing well
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
At £30/35 a head, plus watching that shite I can forgive them. Shame - we were 3000 light on Scunthorpe last season which was the NYE game.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:10 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Aren't some of them boycotting until the Allams are gone?
Thought that was just home games (could well be wrong though)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
At £30/35 a head, plus watching that shite I can forgive them. Shame - we were 3000 light on Scunthorpe last season which was the NYE game.
True, but I thought the importance of the game may have taken precedence.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:51 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
True, but I thought the importance of the game may have taken precedence.
Suspect Hull fans are just in the angry ‘how has this gone so wrong so quickly’ phase.

Rather than seeing our game as a big game.

It’s where we might have an advantage over them and Sunderland. Whatever those teams do now, short of winning every remaining game it’s a failure. We finish 4th bottom and considering where we were and our resources it’s a miracle to be celebrated.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm
Suspect Hull fans are just in the angry ‘how has this gone so wrong so quickly’ phase.

It’s where we might have an advantage over them and Sunderland. Whatever those teams do now, short of winning every remaining game it’s a failure. We finish 4th bottom and considering where we were and our resources it’s a miracle to be celebrated.
Balls to that, we ain't going backwards now

All we need to do is maintain our Christmas-rush form of 2.25ppg over the remaining 20 games and we'll finish on 70pts - just outside the play-offs :D

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Balls to that, we ain't going backwards now

All we need to do is maintain our Christmas-rush form of 2.25ppg over the remaining 20 games and we'll finish on 70pts - just outside the play-offs :D
Just like you two said ..... we've turned it round - and that started back in October....... we were so far adrift after 12 games everyone has written us off .... and no ones noticed that we're picking up the points again..
Absolute miracle that Parkys performed to get us to where we are and I can see a comfortable mid table finish if we dont sell Madine/Vela/Amoebi in the next month
I know its too early to celebrate etc but I actually look forwards to our games again now.......... Bolton beating the odds - effin magic ! :oyea:
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm

:|

I shall bookmark this in my diary of despair. When I revisit it in March I'll know more or less who's right. I suspect, to my chagrin, it will be me, but we'll see, and I'll acknowledge my unbridled pessimism and vow to change if I'm wrong.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:19 pm
:|

I shall bookmark this in my diary of despair. When I revisit it in March I'll know more or less who's right. I suspect, to my chagrin, it will be me, but we'll see, and I'll acknowledge my unbridled pessimism and vow to change if I'm wrong.
Right or wrong what? We’ve got a chance. Nobody is seriously suggesting we are definitely staying up. I’m certainly not. We are an injury away from finishing rock bottom. As always. Luck and a fair wind and we’ve a decent chance.

All people are saying is this is about all we could expect given what we’ve spent (nothing) and our terrible start. We started the season knowing 4th bottom was success and we are a place above that in January.