Providing sexy answers, or a little mesmerised by bigger Bristols? BWFC v Bristol City 2/2/2018 8pm.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Providing sexy answers, or a little mesmerised by bigger Bristols? BWFC v Bristol City 2/2/2018 8pm.

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 am

After the annual drama of January transfer deadline day, it is time for BWFC to get back on it as we take on 5th placed Bristol City in a televised Sky Sports game tomorrow (Friday) at 8pm.

It has been excellent season thus far for Bristol City. After last season's struggle against relegation which they only avoided with a shock win at promoted Brighton in the penultimate game of the season, few pundits expected anything but another struggle this season, particularly as 23 goal striker Tammy Abraham was returning to Chelsea. They spent £5.3m was spent on striker 6ft2in Famara Dhiedou to replace Abraham, and bought 6ft2in Nathan Baker from Aston Villa to add solidity to a shaky defence. It was the impact of the latter, together with existing players stepping up their game that has made the difference. Formerly unheralded names such as Aden Flint, Joe Bryan, Korey Smith, Jamie Paterson and Bobby Reid are now well known due to an excellent Carabao cup run, which included defeats of Premier League Watford, Stoke, Crystal Palace, then victory against big boys Man United and a credible performance in the semi final against untouchable Man City. The cup run seemed to affect their league form when they had three defeats and a draw over the turn of the year, but they got back to winning ways last week with a 2-0 win over QPR. What is clear they have a number of physical players who can handle the physical nature of the Championship, with 6ft5in Flint excellent in both boxes with head and feet, allied to some decent players who can handle the ball. They have few weaknesses.

For us it will be our first game under Parky without Gary Madine. It is a question being posed by many as to whether Parky can operate without a target man, something he rarely did at Bradford, and something he struggled to do here when Madine was injured at the end of last season. We have replaced Madine with smaller, quicker players in Forest loanees Zach Clough and Tyler Walker. So loads of questions, not least of which is how we will we line up and what shape we will play. Walker is 5ft 11in and is quick and so might able to handle the physical side of the game as a lone striker, and so replace Madine in our regular 4-5-1 system, with Clough replacing Buckley on the left side as a goalscoring option on that side. Or we may choose to go 3-5-2 and decide that we forego our wingers and use two of Clough, Walker or ALF in a 3-5-2. Both Wilbraham and Little will be facing their former club should they play.

Impossible to know how this will pan out after yesterday, so I say 1-1 with some questions still unanswered, both on and off the pitch.
Last edited by bristol_Wanderer3 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Providing sexy answers, or a little mesmerised by bigger Bristols? BWFC v Bristol City 2/2/2018 8pm.

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 am

I'll be tuning in!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Providing sexy answers, or a little mesmerised by bigger Bristols? BWFC v Bristol City 2/2/2018 8pm.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:11 am

3-0 win. A young vibrant attacking line up with more solidity down that left side. It'll be like watching Brazil. The performance in front of the cameras will have businesses flocking to pump money in and all our worries will be over
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 am

0-8. Domed completely

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:26 am

Vela and Clough linking up again: 3-1 to us. Madine would've been completely anonymous against those two massive centre backs anyway.

Gerry Sweeney for them!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:29 am

We'll lose. Probably be bright for 20 minutes, before they overrun us in midfield. Watched them against Man Utd and Man City. They are a very, very decent side.

Wilbraham will start. Nailed on.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 am

Genuinely intrigued. And genuinely irked that I'll miss the livecastbeamback, as I'll be in transit.

We may well lose, because Bristol City are a good team who haven't lost a key man and been forced to change their style in one training session. But we may well have lost anyway, with the squad as at Dec 31 or even slightly augmented. What's arguably more important than this specific result is what this game might tell us about the near future. Buckle up.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 am
Bristol City are a good team
They are - certainly from what I've seen of them. Their strength seems to be in running at the opposition (something they did incredibly well against City) and I really rate young Bobby Reid in midfield.
I do think though that as a defensive unit they're wholly reliant on the two massive centre backs though, and overall they don't strike me as a cohesive defensive unit.
I really rather think that we'll be better served having ALF / Clough up front tomorrow than we would have been by knocking it up to Madine (providing we don't try to simply nice person it up to ALF/Clough).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am
They are - certainly from what I've seen of them. Their strength seems to be in running at the opposition (something they did incredibly well against City) and I really rate young Bobby Reid in midfield.
I do think though that as a defensive unit they're wholly reliant on the two massive centre backs though, and overall they don't strike me as a cohesive defensive unit.
I really rather think that we'll be better served having ALF / Clough up front tomorrow than we would have been by knocking it up to Madine (providing we don't try to simply tw*t it up to ALF/Clough).
This keeps getting said. But nobody has an answer for how we take Wheater/Beevers/Henry/Pratley/Vela being our central defence and midfield and suddenly become a passing team playing out of our own half in an effective way?

Had we got Chungy as well, he could have perhaps been the player to link some of the play. As it is, I'm struggling to see how we're good enough to go through midfield effectively and break teams down.

I agree that we cannot keep lumping it long given there is no effective target. But a lot of the time we go long because having tittied it around for 5 minutes and got nowhere Wheater/Beevers or whoever end up having to play a long diagonal.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:56 am

The Scouse Cafu is gonna have a field day tomorrow down the right, linking up with Ameobi and Clough.

4-2

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I really rather think that we'll be better served having ALF / Clough up front tomorrow than we would have been by knocking it up to Madine (providing we don't try to simply tw*t it up to ALF/Clough).
This keeps getting said. But nobody has an answer for how we take Wheater/Beevers/Henry/Pratley/Vela being our central defence and midfield and suddenly become a passing team playing out of our own half in an effective way?

Had we got Chungy as well, he could have perhaps been the player to link some of the play. As it is, I'm struggling to see how we're good enough to go through midfield effectively and break teams down.

I agree that we cannot keep lumping it long given there is no effective target. But a lot of the time we go long because having tittied it around for 5 minutes and got nowhere Wheater/Beevers or whoever end up having to play a long diagonal.
It's called Management. Big Phil has the answers. He will give them tomorrow night.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am

Pratley and Henry can Ray Wilkins the ball and one of Clough, Ameobi or the other fellas can drop deeper, pass it forward, give n go and with a bit of luck and movement from the players something might arise other than watching the ball sail over a short arses head.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:12 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am
Pratley and Henry can Ray Wilkins the ball and one of Clough, Ameobi or the other fellas can drop deeper, pass it forward, give n go and with a bit of luck and movement from the players something might arise other than watching the ball sail over a short arses head.
Its fantasy land in my view. Henry, Pratley Vela are grafters. Not pass and move. Ameobi will link well with Clough in the opponents half. Its working the positions and space in the first place.

Hopefully the pace of Walker and putting it in the channels will be the outlet. Because I don't for a second believe we're going to be effective going through midfield.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but you seem to have forgotten the Vela / Clough link up play of yore.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I hear what you're saying, but you seem to have forgotten the Vela / Clough link up play of yore.
But a lot of that revolved around Vela picking up the ball after Madine held it, or picking up the knockdown.

Once we get up into their half quickly I think Clough, Ameobi, Walker and Vela can hurt teams. The trouble is getting there quickly before teams are set with 10 behind the ball. Thats where I'm not sure we'll find it that easy. I remember the Burton game where we inexplicably tried to pass our way through them all game and barely created a chance.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:08 pm

They've got loads of pace (we don't do well against that), move the ball very quickly (we don't do well against that) and play with a real aggression (not tackling wise, but certainly in the way they press and we don't do well against that)

We'll get spanked
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 pm

We'll lose. I'll plump (or is it plumb) for 2-0. Having said that we'd have lost 2-0 in our Maxine United incarnation.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Quite simply,without the washing machine component, we're going to have to utilise some basic football items (shock, horror). With an influx of new parts we may actually find ourselves a football team rather than a one man army. By now, almost everybody and his agent have sussed out how we play (played) and a new format may give a few opposition managers some headaches. I fail to believe that any of them are so certain of their superiority that they don't even bother sourcing the opposition. Doing that will be a new ball game (pardon the pun ) and might just be an advantage especially against those we've played recently. We might even hand out a few shocks. Ameobi, Vela, Clough, and the new lads surely won't just be taken for granted. From where we stand at the foot of the hill, what have we got to lose by taking it to em, all of them?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:14 pm
Quite simply,without the washing machine component, we're going to have to utilise some basic football items (shock, horror). With an influx of new parts we may actually find ourselves a football team rather than a one man army. By now, almost everybody and his agent have sussed out how we play (played) and a new format may give a few opposition managers some headaches. I fail to believe that any of them are so certain of their superiority that they don't even bother sourcing the opposition. Doing that will be a new ball game (pardon the pun ) and might just be an advantage especially against those we've played recently. We might even hand out a few shocks. Ameobi, Vela, Clough, and the new lads surely won't just be taken for granted. From where we stand at the foot of the hill, what have we got to lose by taking it to em, all of them?
Absolutely. The hun cannot take cold Zachs up 'em. C(oywm)haaaaaaarge!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 pm

It’s my wedding anniversary tomorrow, so I’ll miss this in the name of romance. As we got married on 02/02/02 at 2pm, I’ll go for 2-0. Let’s see who scores first: me or Zach.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!