Providing sexy answers, or a little mesmerised by bigger Bristols? BWFC v Bristol City 2/2/2018 8pm.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Providing sexy answers, or a little mesmerised by bigger Bristols? BWFC v Bristol City 2/2/2018 8pm.

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:10 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:33 pm
Amazing result. Just about deserved, simply because we dug in so well.

There is no way on earth we can get away with that team for the rest of the season. Would love to see a target man signed now. If we play 3 at the back Clough, Ameobi, Walker, Le Fondre all need someone to play off.

Also are there any midfield players out of contract? Cos our midfield is dreadful. And what happens if one of them, especially Henry gets injured. We are desperate for someone in there and not sure who we intend to use in there as cover.

Get a target man and I think we can cause problems. But without it's going to be a very hard slog because Sammi cannot do that every week. Though I'd like him up front with another as I think he looked like he enjoyed it. And he does make the ball stick.

Finally. Parky is the best thing we have at this club. Give that man a long term deal now. And give him some fedking money to spend.
I can read you like a book. One of those books infants have to help learn the alphabet.
If we'd have lost it was because we didn't have Madine, if we win it's because Parkinson is so brilliant he outshine's Einstein.
Hardly just the opinions of one person. I think 99% of people would have said this. Bit of an irrelevant simile saying you can read him like a book when you are literally reading what he is saying like a book.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Providing sexy answers, or a little mesmerised by bigger Bristols? BWFC v Bristol City 2/2/2018 8pm.

Post by Winter Hill White » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:34 am

In no particular order:-

Ameobi - Legend. Love him and all that. But surprisingly crap in the air. Didn't win a lot of the headers that he looked like he should have done. What an awesome goal though.

Zach - Legend. Love him and all that. But that was a bad miss. Glad it didn't matter because that would have preyed on his mind.

Antonee - Hope he's not the one Flanagan replaces. I like Antonee a lot - I know he's not the finished article, but I think he's going to be a great player, and I think a good run in the team is doing him the world of good.

Good relatively sustained and relatively stadium-wide bit of singing/chants around the hour mark. Not heard it like that for a while.

Looked a pen to me when Alnwick took their boy out.

Tyler Walker - meh.

How hard did Derik tw@t that pass to Antonee on the wing!

Not usually a fan of messed around kick-off times, but must say a Friday night win feels fantastic!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:58 am

Winter Hill White wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:34 am
In no particular order:-

Ameobi - Legend. Love him and all that. But surprisingly crap in the air. Didn't win a lot of the headers that he looked like he should have done. What an awesome goal though.

Zach - Legend. Love him and all that. But that was a bad miss. Glad it didn't matter because that would have preyed on his mind.

Antonee - Hope he's not the one Flanagan replaces. I like Antonee a lot - I know he's not the finished article, but I think he's going to be a great player, and I think a good run in the team is doing him the world of good.

Good relatively sustained and relatively stadium-wide bit of singing/chants around the hour mark. Not heard it like that for a while.

Looked a pen to me when Alnwick took their boy out.

Tyler Walker - meh.

How hard did Derik tw@t that pass to Antonee on the wing!

Not usually a fan of messed around kick-off times, but must say a Friday night win feels fantastic!
On Robinson. He’s getting better. But he’s still at times the soft spot defensively. Ipswich targeted him. Bristol City didn’t so much but still at times he got sucked out into the wrong position and caused our midfield to get dragged across to cover.

If Flanagan is to play then for me it’s there. Because Little is absolutely superb and my player of the season.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:06 am

Someone said they've been a long ball team for the past 10 years under every manager. It's the only way they can play etc. I didn't notice any speculative hoofs out of defense at all last night... after "20 minutes of training"! One definitely needs a target man if you're going to hoof it down the middle every time, but if you have someone a bit sticky (Ameobi) who you can pass to, that might be an alternative. If Bristol get a penalty in the 7th minute and it's 0-1 then it's a cricket score and it's back to the hoof. Which might happen anyway.

I remember games in the Prem where they couldn't pass to a teammate, there wasn't a huge amount of that really last night.

Thought Dervite did well. Walker did some good stuff, the wingbacks did some good stuff.

Ameobi... amazing but that post match quote... "I'm just taking one game at a time. We'll see what the future holds." Glad window's slammed shut already!
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14 am

Noticeable that the goal came on the floor through the middle, albeit it was a one man counter-attack rather than a carefully crafted team move.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:43 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:37 am
Not a hope in hell we can win this one. We're a 1 man team. We're domed.

Oh :roll:
Even a blind man with a half a brain cell could see that!

Oh.......... eh? :D
:D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 pm

Robinson is starting to develop into a pretty decent full back/wing back. I can't see him making it in the prem with Everton but I could see him become a very good championship player. Would be great if it was with us
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 pm
Robinson is starting to develop into a pretty decent full back/wing back. I can't see him making it in the prem with Everton but I could see him become a very good championship player. Would be great if it was with us
If we were to have that stalwart of the Sunday League side's end of season awards - 'Most Improved Player' then Anthoneeeeeeeeee wins it by a mile. Still not the finished article but to see his game now compared with that of the frightened kitten that first came in lie poles apart. All boding well with this boy. Quick, tell Allardyce that he's shit. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:42 pm

Robinson is a great athlete, that is getting him out of trouble with his naive defending and positioning. At wing back he is perfect, his defensive deficiencies are minimized and his ahtleticism is precisely what is needed.

I slightly disagree with those saying last night not working long term. Our opponents last night have had their better periods this season without a recognized striker, and without scoring many goals. Bobby Reid has never been thought of as a striker until this season, and was playing as an attacking midfielder until Dhiedou got injured in September. Yet he has operated as their furthest forward player for much of this season. Chelsea, at top6 Prem level, at times look excellent with Hazard, Willian and Pedro in their front three. If we can keep it solid, which I believe we can with our squad, Ameobi, Clough, Walker and Vela offer more mobility and are definitely capable of creating enough chances for us to get points. And I can definitely see us doing better away from home playing this way. It would be nice if we had better passers of the ball in our midfield but equally I don't believe a target man is essential.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Yeah I'm not convinced that we'd definitely be better off with some lampost up front, just because.

If Kramer comes and is a better option than Wilbraham then great, but the key to the rest of this season will getting the ball to the feet of Ameobi and Clough.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:22 pm

Really enjoyed the actual football being played for the 1st time in a while last night - it didn't seem as much of a chore....massive change not seeing aimless long ball hoof after aimless long ball hoof. Decent atmosphere 2nd half after Clough came on, he lifted the fans.

Personally I thought that we never looked like losing - Wheater was an absolute rock, but the other 2 CB also played well & Little was fantastic - we are light in midfield, and need more energy - I actually thought that Henry & Derik were poor, especially Derik his passing was shocking IMO....I can't actually see what he brings to the team.

Clough makes a big difference in the way we play, because of his movement & intelligence on the ball - plays the No10 role well and brings others into the game, and is a perfect link man - Ameobi's goal was a goal of the season contender for me & the passing & movement for Clough's chance near the end was excellent - we do need another striker ASAP but like others have said it doesn't have to be another lamp post, we can play decent football on the floor - we also probably have others like Noone, Buckley, ALF who may play better now the team has to play on the floor more now the default pass isn't the long aimless hoof to Madine.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:23 pm

I thought we did really well, considering. Bristol are full of confidence at the minute and we took a real hit with Madine going. I think if they'd scored one early on they'd have rolled right over us, but we put a real shift in and deserved a result on effort if not on overall play. We showed we can play 3-at-the-back and it did let us play in a different way from the usual "hoof it to Gary" thing we've become reliant upon. That's not saying we didn't miss Madine - there were a few times in that game where we'd have either created a chance or got an effort on goal with him up there - but Sammy drifting out onto the fullback gave us a long ball option and there was some decent stuff played at feet. I'm not convinced by Josh that far up the pitch, but he had his moments and he gives us legs up there.

This squad has options to win games, if we can improve the midfield cover for the back three. If they can find a player on a free who can put the ball in the net a few times before the end of the season then we should be okay. Even if not, we should be able to scrape through.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:08 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

There is no way on earth we can get away with that team for the rest of the season. Would love to see a target man signed now. If we play 3 at the back Clough, Ameobi, Walker, Le Fondre all need someone to play off.

Also are there any midfield players out of contract? Cos our midfield is dreadful. And what happens if one of them, especially Henry gets injured. We are desperate for someone in there and not sure who we intend to use in there as cover.

Get a target man and I think we can cause problems. But without it's going to be a very hard slog because Sammi cannot do that every week. Though I'd like him up front with another as I think he looked like he enjoyed it. And he does make the ball stick.

Finally. Parky is the best thing we have at this club. Give that man a long term deal now. And give him some fedking money to spend.
I can read you like a book. One of those books infants have to help learn the alphabet.
If we'd have lost it was because we didn't have Madine, if we win it's because Parkinson is so brilliant he outshine's Einstein.
Hardly just the opinions of one person. I think 99% of people would have said this. Bit of an irrelevant simile saying you can read him like a book when you are literally reading what he is saying like a book.
Sorry for the irrelevant simile. Just trying to point out what a totally tedious fxcking time of it we are all in for, for the rest of the season.
Instead of a redundant simile, as 99% of people understand this, can I help us all out and make the following announcement on BWFCi's behalf for every fxcking game to the end of the season.
If we win: Parkinson is brilliant, he should be crowned Queen of England.
If we draw: Parkinson did his best but if Anderson had been a better owner we wouldn't have had to sell Madine and therefore we could have scored the Goal That Transforms The Season.
If we lose: It's because we needed Madine.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:10 pm

I happen to think all three statements are bollox, but I've always been comfortable being in the under 1% of life's unfortunates.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:21 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

...and actually, now I've re-read what you wrote you've confused me.
Please confirm which one of the following you meant:
A) 99% of people agree that if we'd lost it's because we didn't have Madine etc etc
B) 99% of people know that BWFCi holds the opinion that... etc etc.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:41 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:21 pm
Feeding off knock downs/hold up play thirty yards out is one of the most effective ways to get it to Ameobi and Clough's feet. From there we've seen previously that they can cause defender's headaches, especially when we have Little and Robinson on the overlap. Equally as effective is playing on the counter, which worked devastatingly well yesterday and was when we were at our most dangerous. But I find it surprising that people watched last night and think that we can pass it about because when we tried to we didn't get very far.
We've got a few players who have clearly had a decent footballing education. Clough, Walker, Vela, Ameobi etc all understand off-the-ball movement and where the ball needs to go at certain times. Their execution isn't Premier League level, but there were flashes of match intelligence from all of them. We lack a passing player of real class, though, that the players can give the ball to and rely on.

When you look at Nick Powell at Wigan, for example, you have a player who makes everyone around him look good because he reliably plays the right ball at the right time. We'd not have got a player of that ability, but we could probably have found someone "good enough" to give us a decent chance of staying up if we'd known earlier that Madine was leaving. With Madine here Parky wouldn't have felt the need for that sort of midfielder. I'd hope he does now, but sometimes managers get tunnel vision when a key player goes and all they can see is the need to go like-for-like. That's what happened with Megson when we sold Anelka. He just saw a big Anelka-shaped hole and had no bloody clue how to deal with it other than to try and spend big on a forward - hence us spending three times as much as Elmo was worth.

I don't think there's anyone on the market now who can do precisely what Madine did for us. There might be a couple of freebies out there who can each offer us something new, though. This isn't a hard league to stay in. You need a united, organised squad (we have that) and some basic tools. We're not far off having a decent Championship team and that's all we need.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 pm

We already are a decent championship team - our results post October 2017 say so
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm

nelson66 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 pm
We already are a decent championship team - our results post October 2017 say so
We relied on Madine for those results. What we are now is up in the air.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm
nelson66 wrote:
Enough of this shite please.

Last I looked football was a team game. Madine did his bit for us this season no doubt but those results you speak of couldn't have been achieved without the other 10 behind him.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm
nelson66 wrote:
Enough of this shite please.

Last I looked football was a team game. Madine did his bit for us this season no doubt but those results you speak of couldn't have been achieved without the other 10 behind him.
I don't think anyone is suggesting Madine played on his own. The fact remains that we built our attacking play around him and we'll have to see if we can find another way to reliably get the ball in the back of the net. We've scored 27 goals this season, I think I'm right in saying that Madine scored 10 of those and made 5 more. You can call it "shite" if you like, but we've been relying on Madine and now he's gone it remains to be seen who is going to step up and get us the goals we need to keep the points coming in.