Whites barrier to hold against the Fulham surge? BWFC v Fulham 10/2/2018 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Whites barrier to hold against the Fulham surge? BWFC v Fulham 10/2/2018 3pm

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:10 pm

For the second week in succession we host the Championship's fifth placed team on Saturday, with Fulham being the visitors after claiming fifth from last weeks visitors Bristol City after our wonderful 1-0 victory.

Fulham play their home games within metres of the Thames, a river that at times has its flow to the sea interrupted by the Thames Barrier in order to protect London from incoming North Sea tidal surges. Fulham's current form represents a surge of its own. They are top of the recent form table with five successive wins, and seven wins and a draw from the last eight. All this after a shaky start which belied their pre-season rating as one of the favourites for promotion. Bankrolled by billionaire Shahid Khan, Fulham had the luxury of spending £20m on three strikers in the summer, who have all generally under-performed, and were also able to rebuff £12m bids for midfielder Tom Cairney, and 17 year old left sided star Ryan Sessegnon. Sessegnon looks an outstanding prospect and is currently top scorer with eleven goals. They have also added quality in the January transfer window with £14m Newcastle striker Alexandr Mitrovic joining on loan, alongside defenders Cyrus Christie and Matt Targett.

For us, life after Madine started well last week. Parky showed his adaptability by changing the shape the day before the game to a 3-4-3/3-5-2 system. We looked very solid, limiting a dangerous Bristol City side to just a couple of chances, and thanks to Sammi Ameobi's wonder goal we sneaked it 1-0. It is likely we will see a similar line up again, and maybe a similar game, with Fulham utilising a similar attractive, passing style. Lets hope for a similar result!! COYW,

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Whites barrier to hold against the Fulham surge? BWFC v Fulham 10/2/2018 3pm

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:13 pm

I've possibly/probably seen us play Fulham on more occasions than I've seen us play anyone else.

Memorable moments? Bobby Moore getting sent off in a League Cup replay at Burnden in 76 and being followed off by all his stroppy mates. I was 10.

That is all!

As such, and in preference, this weekend I'll be running around in Jersey with a bandaged knee.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Whites barrier to hold against the Fulham surge? BWFC v Fulham 10/2/2018 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:33 pm

Feel this will be one game where we will definitely miss some physicality up front. Fulham are a good side and have some very good players in. I think normally we'd have a chance of bullying them out of it. Harder when we'll have to play a game we're less suited to against a side who are far better at it than we are.

The adrenaline of the occasion helped against Bristol City. Fascinated to see how we fare in the cold harsh light of day sans Madine.

Big test. A point would be decent.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:33 pm
Feel this will be one game where we will definitely miss some physicality up front. Fulham are a good side and have some very good players in. I think normally we'd have a chance of bullying them out of it. Harder when we'll have to play a game we're less suited to against a side who are far better at it than we are.
The adrenaline of the occasion helped against Bristol City. Fascinated to see how we fare in the cold harsh light of day sans Madine.Big test. A point would be decent.
Hows about forgetting about Madine and concentrating on those we have? He's gone, we've paid our tax bill and Clough's back (for now, at least) .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Iles: "Buckley (hamstring), Darby (head injury), Wilbraham (calf) and Burke (back) all doubts for Fulham game"

File under "we'll manage"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:38 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The adrenaline of the occasion helped against Bristol City. Fascinated to see how we fare in the cold harsh light of day sans Madine.Big test. A point would be decent.
Hows about forgetting about Madine and concentrating on those we have? He's gone, we've paid our tax bill and Clough's back (for now, at least) .
Seconded.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Fulham are my (our?) bogey side. I must have seen us play them several times in the last 5 decades and can only recall 1 win. A 3-1 win at the reebok under Todd.

Memorable 'disasters';

1978 - 0-0 draw. We lift the 2nd div title but couldn't beat them

1983 - we're unbeaten in 13, pulling ourselves clear of relegation then we lose 0-1 to them at Burnden . We win only 2 or 3 games more all season and get relegated.

2000 - we're utterly destroyed by Tiganas wonderful side in a flattering 0-2 defeat. Still, to this day, the best display ive seen by an away side at the reebok.

2011? - Damien Duff tears us and Marcos Alonso a new one in a 3-0 gubbing

Away this season we put in an excellent counter attacking performance before a last minute goal gives them an undeserved point.

1-0 win. Sammi strikes again
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 pm
Fulham are my (our?) bogey side. I must have seen us play them several times in the last 5 decades and can only recall 1 win. A 3-1 win at the reebok under Todd.
Whether you remember it or not, we've beaten 'em eight times since the millennium :D They fell to sides managed by Allardyce, Coyle, Lennon and even Lee; on the other hand Megson drew two and lost two, while Doogie's death warrant was signed by a flaccid 4-0 at Fulham – if memory serves, we had Tim Ream lost in central midfield while Prufrock stabbed himself in the eyes with forks.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 14.50.50.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 14.50.50.png (185.71 KiB) Viewed 8100 times

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:58 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:46 pm
Whether you remember it or not, we've beaten 'em eight times since the millennium :D They fell to sides managed by Allardyce, Coyle, Lennon and even Lee; on the other hand Megson drew two and lost two, while Doogie's death warrant was signed by a flaccid 4-0 at Fulham – if memory serves, we had Tim Ream lost in central midfield while Prufrock stabbed himself in the eyes with forks.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 14.50.50.png
Not a pretty record though. Lost to them 15 times in the same period.

Bogey side.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Bogey side.
Tooting the bassoon again, I see... :D

No, obviously we've struggled against them. Indeed, since the start of the 2000/01 season they've beaten us more times (in all comps) than any side bar Chelsea, Liverpool, the rags and Arsenal.

But there are two or three sides, besides the obvious Big Clubs, who we've struggled more against – and none of them are in the Premier League. We've lost 14 times out of 30 to Fulham but there's another side who've beaten us 13 times in 27 since Euro 2000. There's another team against whom we've played nine times in that period and never won. And another we've faced 13 times and only won twice, for a 15.4% win ratio which is far shabbier than our 23.3% against the Cottagers.

Any guesses? I'll come back in a bit.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Fulham have two wingbacks that can run the length of the pitch in 10.5 seconds. I'll take a draw right now.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Bogey side.

No, obviously we've struggled against them. Indeed, since the start of the 2000/01 season they've beaten us more times (in all comps) than any side bar Chelsea, Liverpool, the rags and Arsenal.

But there are two or three sides, besides the obvious Big Clubs, who we've struggled more against – and none of them are in the Premier League. We've lost 14 times out of 30 to Fulham but there's another side who've beaten us 13 times in 27 since Euro 2000. There's another team against whom we've played nine times in that period and never won. And another we've faced 13 times and only won twice, for a 15.4% win ratio which is far shabbier than our 23.3% against the Cottagers.

Reading is one, I think? Maybe the final one as I can recall a couple of wins this century. Ipswich maybe another? Don't think we've beaten them in the league since we sent them down in 2002.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:51 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:43 pm
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Bogey side.

Reading is one, I think? Maybe the final one as I can recall a couple of wins this century. Ipswich maybe another? Don't think we've beaten them in the league since we sent them down in 2002.
Probably totally wrong, but Middlesbrough? For the first one as I know we've beaten them a few times but certainly our recent record against them is awful!
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

The adrenaline of the occasion helped against Bristol City. Fascinated to see how we fare in the cold harsh light of day sans Madine.

Need some physicality up front to deal with who? Tim 'dandelion clock' Ream? Reet oh!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Need some physicality up front to deal with who? Tim 'dandelion clock' Ream? Reet oh!
Precisely, a physical striker would have unsettled them.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Precisely, a physical striker would have unsettled them.
We won't need one.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:30 pm

We haven't got one, whether we need one or not.
Anyway, with our big lump free side, whether they be bogeys or snot, I predict we'll devastate the fxckers 2-0
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Flippin eck, Zachary could blow a kiss at Timmy Ream and it'd probably knock him over.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 pm
Flippin eck, Zachary could blow a kiss at Timmy Ream and it'd probably knock him over.
I'll have you know that's our double Player of the Year you're talking about!!!! (Christ....)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:08 pm

We have three big lads we can send forth when needed. Sort out our set piece mode and remember how well it worked last season between Wheater and Beevers goals-wise.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?