Plundering the capital, or capital punishment? QPR v BWFC 17/2/2018

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Plundering the capital, or capital punishment? QPR v BWFC 17/2/2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 pm

I've never liked Ian Holloway; nothing's changed. Parky claims he was appealing for everything and all over the ref at half-time. No surprise there. I wish I could claim we deserved something, even a lucky break, but we looked as threatening as a blancmange hand grenade and created next to nothing except a lesson in back passing. Man of the match for us was Ben Alnwick, and once Henry got yellow it always looked iffy. Little's sending off killed any chance of us taking anything from this. In truth, they were all over us, looked faster and fitter and wanted it. It was painful to watch. I've not seen us bullied as bad as that as long as I can remember. The turf in their halves shouldn't need any attention as it was empty for most of the game. It isn't just a Madine type striker we need; we need somebody to do something a bit different than wallop hopeful balls at their defenders via the ariel route. The defence were beseiged and the attack toothless. That's about it as I saw it. I pity the poor faithful who made the trip. Going to bed sick as a parrot.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 pm
I've never liked Ian Holloway; nothing's changed. Parky claims he was appealing for everything and all over the ref at half-time. No surprise there. I wish I could claim we deserved something, even a lucky break, but we looked as threatening as a blancmange hand grenade and created next to nothing except a lesson in back passing. Man of the match for us was Ben Alnwick, and once Henry got yellow it always looked iffy. Little's sending off killed any chance of us taking anything from this. In truth, they were all over us, looked faster and fitter and wanted it. It was painful to watch. I've not seen us bullied as bad as that as long as I can remember. The turf in their halves shouldn't need any attention as it was empty for most of the game. It isn't just a Madine type striker we need; we need somebody to do something a bit different than wallop hopeful balls at their defenders via the ariel route. The defence were beseiged and the attack toothless. That's about it as I saw it. I pity the poor faithful who made the trip. Going to bed sick as a parrot.
I can say the faithful turned up in decent numbers and gave their team great support, particularly after we went down to ten men.

I agree with most of the above. Alnwick was our man of the match by a distance. He had way too much to do, but he did everything well, and had no chance for the goals.

The only positives I can take, is that Walker looked a decent outlet up front, way better than ALF against Cardiff. He has pace and makes good runs in behind defenders. Karacan came on at half time for Vela. I am interested to know if that was tactical or not as Vela has been poor recently. Regardless of that Karacan had a decent 2nd half.

I am wondering if this formation is going to work for the rest of the season. The way we play it is too rigid imho. Derik is basically a defensive midfielder on the right side, and Vela a defensive midfielder on the left side. Ameobi and Walker/ALF are isolated. We spend whole games defending. I think 4-2-3-1 with Walker up front might work better against Sunderland, because I can't see us breaking down anyone who defends in numbers against the 3-5-2. Also Little is going to be out for three games, and I think Flanagan would be better at right back in a four rather than Morais as a wing back without the energy to get up and down.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:10 am
I am interested to know if that was tactical or not as Vela has been poor recently.
Ankle injury apparently. Could be a few weeks out for young Josh.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 am

malcd1 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:56 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
I am interested to know if that was tactical or not as Vela has been poor recently.
Ankle injury apparently. Could be a few weeks out for young Josh.
Looks like Pratley comes back into things at a critical time. Bad news for Josh. We're really not getting much luck right now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 pm
I can say the faithful turned up in decent numbers and gave their team great support, particularly after we went down to ten men.

I agree with most of the above. Alnwick was our man of the match by a distance. He had way too much to do, but he did everything well, and had no chance for the goals.

The only positives I can take, is that Walker looked a decent outlet up front, way better than ALF against Cardiff. He has pace and makes good runs in behind defenders. Karacan came on at half time for Vela. I am interested to know if that was tactical or not as Vela has been poor recently. Regardless of that Karacan had a decent 2nd half.

I am wondering if this formation is going to work for the rest of the season. The way we play it is too rigid imho. Derik is basically a defensive midfielder on the right side, and Vela a defensive midfielder on the left side. Ameobi and Walker/ALF are isolated. We spend whole games defending. I think 4-2-3-1 with Walker up front might work better against Sunderland, because I can't see us breaking down anyone who defends in numbers against the 3-5-2. Also Little is going to be out for three games, and I think Flanagan would be better at right back in a four rather than Morais as a wing back without the energy to get up and down.
Sunderland is a massive, massive game. Our home form is way better than our away form. We cannot go 1 up front with the options we currently have (is why we simply had to adequately replace Madine either in or out the window and the fact we haven't is criminal).

But the 3-5-2 got us two good results at home recently so I'd stick with it. ALF/Clough/Walker and Ameobi have to step up and start scoring regularly. As I said when Madine went we aren't suddenly going to be able to become Man City. They will have to make the most of the same sort of service Madine had. We generally create, 2/3 genuine chances a game and we're not going to change that.

If we can't beat Sunderland we'll be in huge trouble. Ken is at fault for this. Sell your best player at the very last minute with no replacement secured...we've seen it all before I'm afraid.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am

Unless we push up and take the game to them, it's quite likely going to be the same game as Saturday, ie, too much possesion to them and too much play in our half. We're supposedly defending well, yet soft goals are being scored against us regularly. We need to get a bit/lot more muscular and stop being pushed around. To be honest, if you took Sammi away right now we'd probably never get out of our half if Saturday is anything to go off. I love Bolton, always have done and supported them from being a young kid, but I'm seeing a Bolton I don't know any more. Come on you Whites, get stuck in.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am
Unless we push up and take the game to them, it's quite likely going to be the same game as Saturday, ie, too much possesion to them and too much play in our half. We're supposedly defending well, yet soft goals are being scored against us regularly. We need to get a bit/lot more muscular and stop being pushed around. To be honest, if you took Sammi away right now we'd probably never get out of our half if Saturday is anything to go off. I love Bolton, always have done and supported them from being a young kid, but I'm seeing a Bolton I don't know any more. Come on you Whites, get stuck in.
We've been poor all season away from home. I'm not sure you're seeing a "different Bolton".

We lost the top scorer and focal point to the team. That was never ever, ever going to improve us. Inspite of the ridiculous rhetoric from a few on here.

We were flying by the seat of our pants as it was.

If we can't beat Sunderland then we deserve to go down.

Someone is going to have to answer this question...to stay up we'll probably need to score at least a goal a game, till the end of the season as an average. Who is going to score those goals? Right now, unless ALF/Clough are suddenly able to man up and show some consistent form, I struggle to see us getting even half the goals we need.

Sunderland is make or break. It will be 1-0 either way I think. We just need to make sure its us with the 1 against our name.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am

^ I agreed with your previous post Insaney but then you complain of ridiculous rhetoric from others before saying Alf and Clough have to either man up or show some consistency.

You're right, we ain't going to turn into Man City overnight, but launching the ball at two small strikers as if they're direct replacement's for Gaz won't work. We'll have to work the channels a lot better than we have, to get the best out of them. They'll only find consistency when they get a run of games and we play to their strengths.

My worry is that Parky may go with Walker as the Madine-lite option
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:34 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am
^ I agreed with your previous post Insaney but then you complain of ridiculous rhetoric from others before saying Alf and Clough have to either man up or show some consistency.

You're right, we ain't going to turn into Man City overnight, but launching the ball at two small strikers as if they're direct replacement's for Gaz won't work. We'll have to work the channels a lot better than we have, to get the best out of them. They'll only find consistency when they get a run of games and we play to their strengths.

My worry is that Parky may go with Walker as the Madine-lite option
You say "work the channels". Neither Clough or ALF are particularly good at that. Which I think is the idea behind playing Walker who does have pace. He's not in anyway a target.

My issue has always been you can take Madine out, but that doesn't turn Wheater, Beevers, Henry, Pratley, Vela or Derik into pass and move footballers.

The balance of the whole team relied on an outlet, getting Vela around that outlet and Ameobi and A another drifting in from outwide. I'm struggling to see how we fundamentally adjust that, without quality additions in midfield (that we didn't make).

When I say man up, Clough had a cracking chance against Fulham that he put straight at the keeper. ALF scored a cracker against Fulham then spent his time at Cardiff shrugging his shoulders...we don't have a side to lay goals on a plate, he has to make something happen. Same with Clough. At this level, both players are going through an extended period of poor form. Clough is younger and his move clearly didn't help. Ironically I think he'd have been a superb addition behind Madine if GM was still here. As it stands I'm not sure how we get Clough involved consistently. Though I think he's probably our best bet as he is, when on form, capable of scoring a goal out of nothing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 am

Tell you what. Insaney; let's see how many goals Gary Madine scores at Cardiff, supposedly a much better side than us. As for the rest, Josh Vela is generally felt, it seems, to be having an off patch, so now, while he's injured, is a good time for Pratley to step back in and add some beef in midfield. Yes, we need something up front, that's undeniable, in whatever shape it comes, but (repeat) we need to take the fight to the other side. Last season Wheats and Beevers scored something like 15 goals? between them. They're central defenders. What happened there? Matt Smith walked all over them Saturday. Just how many threatening attacks did we have? It doesn't need a giant to score with headers, two of the best at it were Jurgen Klinsmann and Dennis Law; neither exactly heavyweights, they just knew how get ariel by being mobile and not flat-footed hopeful jumps. We can't keep saying the next game is "massive"; it shouldn't be different, they're all (or should be) massive, and where we are right now is as much down to us as our opponents.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 am
Tell you what. Insaney; let's see how many goals Gary Madine scores at Cardiff, supposedly a much better side than us. As for the rest, Josh Vela is generally felt, it seems, to be having an off patch, so now, while he's injured, is a good time for Pratley to step back in and add some beef in midfield. Yes, we need something up front, that's undeniable, in whatever shape it comes, but (repeat) we need to take the fight to the other side. Last season Wheats and Beevers scored something like 15 goals? between them. They're central defenders. What happened there? Matt Smith walked all over them Saturday. Just how many threatening attacks did we have? It doesn't need a giant to score with headers, two of the best at it were Jurgen Klinsmann and Dennis Law; neither exactly heavyweights, they just knew how get ariel by being mobile and not flat-footed hopeful jumps. We can't keep saying the next game is "massive"; it shouldn't be different, they're all (or should be) massive, and where we are right now is as much down to us as our opponents.
We're not as good relative to our opponents as we were last season. So we can't just "throw men forward" without being exposed, we win less set pieces, our midfield is barely, barely competitive at this level.

If I'm honest its a miracle we are where we are, especially after our start.

What Madine does or doesn't do at Cardiff is neither here nor there. What he was doing here, is what we needed to, in some way replace. We haven't. If we'd signed the next Jurgen Klinsmann or Dennis Law or even someone a tenth as good as those players, we'd be fine. Fact is we haven't. We've signed players who are off form and could not get in a "not exactly stellar" Forest side.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

Our form away has been dreadful, absolutely. However, have you seen Sunderland at home? Truly horrendous, especially in the first half. Saw a dejected Coleman (like he was ever the right man for the job) mentioning changes in his post match on Saturday. This would be a must win at the best of times, but there surely can't be a better time for us to play them away than just now, can there?

BTW - BWFC-I. Matt Smith for QPR on Saturday. Now that's exactly how I expect a big lump up top to play. Utterly unplayable.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am
Our form away has been dreadful, absolutely. However, have you seen Sunderland at home? Truly horrendous, especially in the first half. Saw a dejected Coleman (like he was ever the right man for the job) mentioning changes in his post match on Saturday. This would be a must win at the best of times, but there surely can't be a better time for us to play them away than just now, can there?

BTW - BWFC-I. Matt Smith for QPR on Saturday. Now that's exactly how I expect a big lump up top to play. Utterly unplayable.
Decent player Smith. Sort we should have been in for when selling Madine.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:46 am

I don't see how you can go through an extended period of poor form when you've started 1 game in 3 months.

I wasn't at Cardiff so I can't comment on Alfs non performance. It doesn't sound like anyone in the side has covered themselves in glory these last 2 matches
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm

Obviously he ripped us a new one but before Saturday, Matt Smith had scored three goals in five months. Mind, he's only started eight games this season, so obviously he's being kept out of the first XI by QPR's plethora of attacking talent.

Anyways, we might get a Big Man Up Top tomorrow night: Wilbraham's back in training.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm
Obviously he ripped us a new one but before Saturday, Matt Smith had scored three goals in five months. Mind, he's only started eight games this season, so obviously he's being kept out of the first XI by QPR's plethora of attacking talent.

Anyways, we might get a Big Man Up Top tomorrow night: Wilbraham's back in training.
Well, he's a good player on his day. I suspect that he's inconsistent or as you say he'd play for QPR week in week out.

I think we'd be a far better side with someone like that than without. Especially since the without includes the dreadful prospect of Wilbraham playing tomorrow....

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am
(is why we simply had to adequately replace Madine either in or out the window and the fact we haven't is criminal).

And go on then, for the umpteenth time, rather than complain about us not replacing Madine, and accusing the club of being "criminal" in not replacing him, who should they have got? What would you have done differently?

And don't just say "kept hold of Madine". It was never going to happen. The club has no cash and had 1 sale-able asset, so he was going regardless. However, I'm more intrigued as to which of the many affordable, willing and capable target men that were available in January we should have signed?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:50 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:03 am
(is why we simply had to adequately replace Madine either in or out the window and the fact we haven't is criminal).

And go on then, for the umpteenth time, rather than complain about us not replacing Madine, and accusing the club of being "criminal" in not replacing him, who should they have got? What would you have done differently?

And don't just say "kept hold of Madine". It was never going to happen. The club has no cash and had 1 sale-able asset, so he was going regardless. However, I'm more intrigued as to which of the many affordable, willing and capable target men that were available in January we should have signed?
There is one we played Saturday who hasn't started much for QPR, for example.

If the argument is we had to sell him to keep the club afloat (and its a reasonable assumption) and he was impossible to replace as you suggest, then it seems odds on we're going down, will lose the additional 5M of revenue and be absolutely worse off in the long term.

So my argument is that it makes little sense to sell him, and not be able to replace him adequately, given the detrimental effect that was likely to have. And given we sold him (reportedly) for roughly the money we are likely to lose should we be relegated.

He would still be under contract for the following season so a summer sale IMHO made more sense. Perhaps KA could have invested some of the money he promised to (as part of the original takeover and subsequently when he said "I'll put my money in once the Holdsworth shares are sorted") but never actually has to at least keep things stable till the summer?

I appreciate that Madine wanted to go, (who can blame him) but I don't buy that Parky couldn't have managed him had we kept him.

If the situation is that we literally had no choice, then fine, but still its incredibly frustrating as a fan. And I repeat, what happens come the start of next season when further loan repayments have kicked in and the 6M is gone? Especially if the 5M income is lost as well?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am

We're not as good relative to our opponents as we were last season. So we can't just "throw men forward" without being exposed, we win less set pieces, our midfield is barely, barely competitive at this level.
If I'm honest its a miracle we are where we are, especially after our start. What Madine does or doesn't do at Cardiff is neither here nor there.
Then why bring him up every post? And where exactly are we? Last time I looked we were four points above bottom spot and two clubs below us have games in hand. Whatever we're doing right now isn't exactly modus operandum excellente, is it? Won one away game all season and can hardly get out of our own half, and your beloved Front man didn't change that while he was here. He's only been missing for a couple of games.
We can play better; have played better and we need to stop re-enacting Rourke's Drift in football uniforms and do that. When your goalie is M.O.T.M, that should say something about the artillery. Take a leaf from Rochdale's book.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:53 am

If I'm honest its a miracle we are where we are, especially after our start. What Madine does or doesn't do at Cardiff is neither here nor there.
Then why bring him up every post? And where exactly are we? Last time I looked we were four points above bottom spot and two clubs below us have games in hand. Whatever we're doing right now isn't exactly modus operandum excellente, is it? Won one away game all season and can hardly get out of our own half, and your beloved Front man didn't change that while he was here. He's only been missing for a couple of games.
We can play better; have played better and we need to stop re-enacting Rourke's Drift in football uniforms and do that. When your goalie is M.O.T.M, that should say something about the artillery. Take a leaf from Rochdale's book.
We're overachieving, given we've spent nowt in the past 56 years and were for most of the summer limited to not only signing unwanted souls, but ones who'd play for a free rub down and packet of crisps only.

We had an appalling start. To be where we are now is a miracle and testament to Parky.

But with our resources and quality, we're a bottom three team, especially when our top scorer has been flogged to pay the cleaners.

Not sure bottom of league one Rochdale are anything we want to be "taking a leaf from" to be honest.