Bottom feeders: wounded Wanderers v sinking Sunderland 20/2/18 8pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Bottom feeders: wounded Wanderers v sinking Sunderland 20/2/18 8pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Watching a duffer like Lee Cattermole strolling around the park with all the time in the world picking out passes like Beckenbauer, should tell us something ain't right
He's better than anyone we've got, I'd have him in our side in a heartbeat.

Our midfield is definitively our weak area. It has been for a long time and continually goes unaddressed. Sounds like Karacan had a good game last night though and if he finds some form he'll add something extra in there.
Is he balls! He's gash. Complete and utter gash. Someone who shouts and points a lot to cover up his playing inadequacies. My worry is we made him look reasonable last night because of the time we allowed him on the ball.

Parkys worked miracles in difficult circumstances but we could have seriously used a central midfielder with the cash we've spent on Buckley, Noone, Wilbraham, Charsley & Flanagan who have had less than half a dozen starts combined
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Watching a duffer like Lee Cattermole strolling around the park with all the time in the world picking out passes like Beckenbauer, should tell us something ain't right
He's better than anyone we've got, I'd have him in our side in a heartbeat.

Our midfield is definitively our weak area. It has been for a long time and continually goes unaddressed. Sounds like Karacan had a good game last night though and if he finds some form he'll add something extra in there.
Is he balls! He's gash. Complete and utter gash. Someone who shouts and points a lot to cover up his playing inadequacies. My worry is we made him look reasonable last night because of the time we allowed him on the ball.

Parkys worked miracles in difficult circumstances but we could have seriously used a central midfielder with the cash we've spent on Buckley, Noone, Wilbraham, Charsley & Flanagan who have had less than half a dozen starts combined
Respectfully disagree. He's no world beater. But better than anyone we've got. He's played a lot of premiership football. Doesn't make you good like, but suggests he's a class above our lot.

Anyhow, sounds like we might be adding a midfield player into a mix...a good one at that, if somewhat injury prone.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Really? Who's that then? I saw we were linked with a former Sunderland centre half - Kirkhoff (?) not seen anything about a midfielder
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Think that's who he means. Sam converted him into a destroyer type.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm
Really? Who's that then? I saw we were linked with a former Sunderland centre half - Kirkhoff (?) not seen anything about a midfielder
He can play centre back or midfield. Allardyce played him in midfield for Sunderland - which is where I'm sure he'd play for us. If fit, he's exactly the sort of commanding midfield presence we need. IF fit. Its a big if, given his history.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... f-10828348

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:42 pm

10 minutes of highlights here. You have to sign into iFollow, but only at the free-subscription level that gives you access to a certain amount of content. Worth it, if perhaps not for this...

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/februa ... underland/

Or there's a two-minute YouTube cut:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:33 pm
Think that's who he means. Sam converted him into a destroyer type.
Him and Henry in midfield would certainly be interesting. Can't see many getting through that easily.

Dogs of war ahoy!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 pm

Kirchhoff's interesting. 6ft 5in. Still only 27. Signed by Bayern at 23 after doing well for Mainz, but his career's stalled since – loaned out to Schalke, dropped to Bayern's reserves, then 18 months at Sunderland, Sam-signed in January 2016.

Debut at centre-back was the most calamitous since Woodgate's for Madrid, but he found his role at the back of midfield after Sam pulled the old Warhurst/Campo/Hierro trick.

Managed 14 consecutive appearances to help them stay up, but then lost most of 2016/17 to various injuries: hamstring for five weeks, back for three weeks, hamstring for two months, back for a fortnight, torn cartilage out for six months – and that's the end of his contract and Sunderland's top-flight spell.

Since then (last summer), nowt. He was linked with Hannover when they had an injury crisis in October, but nowt came of it. Nixon says the big fella had a trial, impressed Parky, watched the game last night and might get a contract for the rest of the season.

He's Premier-class if fit and on form, so it's that "if" that gives us an in. Wouldn't surprise me if canny Ken works out a contract which is low basic but topped up with appearance bonuses, so we're not saddled.

He'd also add a generous amount of height for set-pieces at either end, and could naturally slip back as an extra centre-back when game management demands – something Parky seems to like in a defensive midfielder (see also Derik this season and Thorpe last).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:04 pm

I reckon 13 0-0s would do it...

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 pm
Kirchhoff's interesting. 6ft 5in. Still only 27. Signed by Bayern at 23 after doing well for Mainz, but his career's stalled since – loaned out to Schalke, dropped to Bayern's reserves, then 18 months at Sunderland, Sam-signed in January 2016.

Debut at centre-back was the most calamitous since Woodgate's for Madrid, but he found his role at the back of midfield after Sam pulled the old Warhurst/Campo/Hierro trick.

Managed 14 consecutive appearances to help them stay up, but then lost most of 2016/17 to various injuries: hamstring for five weeks, back for three weeks, hamstring for two months, back for a fortnight, torn cartilage out for six months – and that's the end of his contract and Sunderland's top-flight spell.

Since then (last summer), nowt. He was linked with Hannover when they had an injury crisis in October, but nowt came of it. Nixon says the big fella had a trial, impressed Parky, watched the game last night and might get a contract for the rest of the season.

He's Premier-class if fit and on form, so it's that "if" that gives us an in. Wouldn't surprise me if canny Ken works out a contract which is low basic but topped up with appearance bonuses, so we're not saddled.

He'd also add a generous amount of height for set-pieces at either end, and could naturally slip back as an extra centre-back when game management demands – something Parky seems to like in a defensive midfielder (see also Derik this season and Thorpe last).
IIRC he was a big part of Sam's miraculous salvation of Sunderland. As DSB said he did very well in the Campo role.
I did not know about his injury history, but if he can come on a pay as you play deal he could be a real asset.
What goes around may still come around

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm
IIRC he was a big part of Sam's miraculous salvation of Sunderland. As DSB said he did very well in the Campo role.
I did not know about his injury history, but if he can come on a pay as you play deal he could be a real asset.

I see Kirchhoff has started for the U23s tonight and is not listed as A Trialist.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:44 pm

The consesus among Sunderland fans seems to be; Premiership level player but very injury prone.

Of course, a lot of high profile players at Sunderland seem to become very erm injury prone when up there. If we sign him lets hope he falls into that category. We never signed a Henry cover in the TW so this would at least be that, if not someone who can play in there alongside Henry and pass the ball better than anyone we have now.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... d-14321418

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:49 pm
bw@bw wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 pm

I see Kirchhoff has started for the U23s tonight and is not listed as A Trialist.

This post was brought to you by the numbers 2 and 5.

Kirchhof played for an hour. The U23s eventually won 1-0 with the winner coming from AN Other-Trialist (Nigerian international Chinedu Obasi). That win extends their lead at the top of their league to 3 points.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Really top stuff from Bolton News, our local media flag flyer. . Under the Wanderers heading they announce the result as Bolton 0- Sunderland 0. Well done lads.... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 pm

Spot the timing of ALF's header.
Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 12.39.29.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 12.39.29.png (20.73 KiB) Viewed 16672 times

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Expected goals is my Kryptonite. That and your % chance of each team staying up from the other week. Pseudo-scientific worthless rubbish, football's equivalent of the "science" graphic in a toothpaste advert.

But yeah, ALF should've scored :D.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 pm
Expected goals is my Kryptonite. That and your % chance of each team staying up from the other week. Pseudo-scientific worthless rubbish, football's equivalent of the "science" graphic in a toothpaste advert.

Aye, I remain to be wholly convinced by either, but I find the concept worthy of consideration if taken with a salt-pinch.

I'm aware this lack of monochrome certitude makes me unsuitable for the internet, but frankly I care not. :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm

On
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 pm

Aye, I remain to be wholly convinced by either, but I find the concept worthy of consideration if taken with a salt-pinch.

I'm aware this lack of monochrome certitude makes me unsuitable for the internet, but frankly I care not. :D
At least your lack of monochrome certitude is backed up by dodgy statistics, whereas the monochrome certitude of some we could name is wholly dependent on voices only they can hear.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Love this "monochrome certitude" bit. Sounds like a Laurel and Hardy film script. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?