Can we get out of Gaol at Reading, or will we go home Wilde? Reading v B.W.F.C, 6TH March 8-0'clock.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we get out of Gaol at Reading, or will we go home Wilde? Reading v B.W.F.C, 6TH March 8-0'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:01 pm
Apparently Alfie was excellent last night - Might disappoint a few
I hope he keeps it up. I've felt he's not put the work in this season when I've seen him play. I'm not sure that is controversial really as he patently hasn't. At least before Madine left, perhaps he was sulking. Since then he's definitely upped his energy. I still think as a one up front he can do more, but I accept that isn't really his role.

I don't think players like Le Fondre fit into many teams anymore. Just the way it is.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we get out of Gaol at Reading, or will we go home Wilde? Reading v B.W.F.C, 6TH March 8-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am
boltonboris wrote:
I hope he keeps it up. I've felt he's not put the work in this season when I've seen him play. I'm not sure that is controversial really as he patently hasn't. At least before Madine left, perhaps he was sulking. Since then he's definitely upped his energy. I still think as a one up front he can do more, but I accept that isn't really his role.

I don't think players like Le Fondre fit into many teams anymore. Just the way it is.
I was utterly delighted to see Alf score at Reading. He had already spooned a decent chance embarrassingly over the bar (a rugby conversion he repeated down our end in the second half) and had one good chance well saved. He's easily our best chance-completer but he still might need two or three in a game.

He also had the benefit of playing against the worst defence I've seen this year, excepting ours early doors. The 17=year-old they played at centre-back was so awful, The Legendary Flanners and I were wondering if Stam would withdraw him at half-time (although we figured this would be too risky a mea culpa for a man under pressure). The kid couldn't even run – Alf was quicker with the ball than he was without it - and got little help from his more experienced team-mates. In short, it's possibly the easiest ride Alf could have had in a league game.

That said, he - and we - made it work. As Marc Iles' stats suggest, the ball wasn't wanged at (or over) his head nearly as much as previously. This was hopefully due to tweaked tactics but perhaps also personnel: Kirchhoff and Flanagan were less likely to lump it cluelessly forward, while Darren was further forward doing his No.10/target-man hybrid thing. Burke in the back line also tended to look for the alley-ball down the sides rather than the lofted "target man" ball.

But Alf worked hard. And he won some headers. It looked like it might work, certainly more so than any other attacking plan post-Madine.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:35 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am
boltonboris wrote:

I was utterly delighted to see Alf score at Reading. He had already spooned a decent chance embarrassingly over the bar (a rugby conversion he repeated down our end in the second half) and had one good chance well saved. He's easily our best chance-completer but he still might need two or three in a game.

He also had the benefit of playing against the worst defence I've seen this year, excepting ours early doors. The 17=year-old they played at centre-back was so awful, The Legendary Flanners and I were wondering if Stam would withdraw him at half-time (although we figured this would be too risky a mea culpa for a man under pressure). The kid couldn't even run – Alf was quicker with the ball than he was without it - and got little help from his more experienced team-mates. In short, it's possibly the easiest ride Alf could have had in a league game.

That said, he - and we - made it work. As Marc Iles' stats suggest, the ball wasn't wanged at (or over) his head nearly as much as previously. This was hopefully due to tweaked tactics but perhaps also personnel: Kirchhoff and Flanagan were less likely to lump it cluelessly forward, while Darren was further forward doing his No.10/target-man hybrid thing. Burke in the back line also tended to look for the alley-ball down the sides rather than the lofted "target man" ball.

But Alf worked hard. And he won some headers. It looked like it might work, certainly more so than any other attacking plan post-Madine.
I think Pratley in the old role Lennon used to play him in (attacking midfield player competing for headers etc) could be of use to ALF if he plays on his own.

Like you say he had a good game against inexperience. Different when he's up against two experienced 6ft bruisers perhaps? I'll say that for it to work, he has to improve his finishing as his main asset is finishing off chances and if he doesn't he's a passenger in the main.

Could it work playing Pratley, Ameobi and Clough behind him in some sort of system? Perhaps even Pratley from the left and Ameobi the right to win headers/hold it up and Clough to feed ALF?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:29 am
Could it work playing Pratley, Ameobi and Clough behind him in some sort of system?
Yes, it could. I know Pratley is nobody's idea of a No.10 but Kirchhoff is a much better defensive midfielder, so we could use Dazzler's physicality and big gormless enthusiasm a bit further forward - as long as there are actual creatives alongside him (like Zach 'n' Sammy).

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 am

Use creative as a noun again, DSB, and we'll fall out. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 am
Oh, you prescriptives. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:12 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 am
Oh, you prescriptives. :wink:
:lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way