When Saturday Comes....it's Wednesday, but will the Owls know what day it is? Wed v Bolton 10th of March. 3-0'clock.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: When Saturday Comes....it's Wednesday, but will the Owls know what day it is? Wed v Bolton 10th of March. 3-0'clock

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:20 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:43 pm
... so we've had Alf and Wilbraham score in two games. Two players who Insano insists are crapper than shit masquerading as crap. And how many goals has the washing machine scored since he left for the land of plenty?
What, nil!? None, zip, fxck all.
Puts hand to ear and hears the plaintive wail of "where are the goals coming from?"
We're not scoring 1 a game. Whilst its good that Wilbraham scored, its still true that he's 38 and most certainly not very good anymore.

Its also true that the last two games were winnable if we could score more than one goal. Spirit is helping us dig out results, but come on, we'd be better off with a proper striker. No doubt about that.
Alf is a proper striker. If his bicycle kick effort hadn't been saved everybody would have been shouting "wonder goal". We also had a couple of creditable efforts well saved. The Owls, like us are fighting for their lives and, unlike us have at least had a few bob to spend. The reason we don't have much choice isn't hard to figure out. We don't have the luxury of buying. They can afford to leave Rhodes on the bench (pity they didn't) and, since we were playing away and were robbed of three pounts by bad officials, we can consider ourselves a bit unlucky to say the least. If there weren't other teams on the field with similar ideas to us, scoring would be easy.
Before bemoaning the fact he was offside.....

Look, the issue with ALF is he doesn't really suit playing up front on his own. He's making the best of it, but would definitely be happier alongside a striker.

You could argue that we'd have won at Reading if ALF hadn't missed an absolute sitter. We're doing ok, but absolutely would be better if we'd either kept Madine or added another proper and fit target man into the mix. Having said that right now it looks like we might get away with it. Kudos to Parky and if we do, then we can see what happens in the summer.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: When Saturday Comes....it's Wednesday, but will the Owls know what day it is? Wed v Bolton 10th of March. 3-0'clock

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:20 am

Only me struggling to see what the fuss was with their goal? Only saw it the once from one angle but looked like a fairly standard "modern" interpretation of the offside rule to me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:20 am
Only me struggling to see what the fuss was with their goal? Only saw it the once from one angle but looked like a fairly standard "modern" interpretation of the offside rule to me.
Think it was the fact the flag went up and Rhodes did initially move towards the ball.

You can argue it either way and I'm not convinced that Parky's claim that VAR would have resulted in the "clearly correct decision of disallowing the goal" would be the case.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:58 am

Ah didn't realise the lino had flagged.

Tough one those. On the one hand I get the argument that it should still be the refs decision and there have been mistakes fixed where the ref has correctly seen someone flagged offside and not otherwise interfering hasn't touched the ball and so correctly overruled the lino.

On the other, whilst you're taught to play to the whistle I'm not sure the distinction between flag and whistle is that obvious and almost all defenders almost all of the time stop when they see a flag.

Tbf don't think any of ours stopped (I didn't even notice he'd flagged) and don't think he was actually offside (though I think he should be).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 am

You could argue that we'd have won at Reading if ALF hadn't missed an absolute sitter. We're doing ok, but absolutely would be better if we'd either kept Madine or added another proper and fit target man into the mix. Having said that right now it looks like we might get away with it. Kudos to Parky and if we do, then we can see what happens in the summer.
Just how many times does the point have to be made that without selling Madine we'd have been in even deeper shxt than we are? Nobody wanted to sell and not replace a decent striker (because that's all he was, decent, not a modern day Eusabio, but just a striker who had a good spell after a pretty inneficient one) , but, despite the disappointments, he had to go. More to the point, he's gone and constantly bemoaning the fact won't change a thing. Parky's doing the best he can, but magic wands don't come as standard managerial issue. "If" is still a very large two letter word at The Macron.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:59 am

Just how many times does the point have to be made that without selling Madine we'd have been in even deeper shxt than we are? Nobody wanted to sell and not replace a decent striker (because that's all he was, decent, not a modern day Eusabio, but just a striker who had a good spell after a pretty inneficient one) , but, despite the disappointments, he had to go. More to the point, he's gone and constantly bemoaning the fact won't change a thing. Parky's doing the best he can, but magic wands don't come as standard managerial issue. "If" is still a very large two letter word at The Macron.
I guess it might depend how many times people try and argue we're currently "better off". I accept financially we had to sell him. But it was a huge footballing risk, that we might, just might get away with.

But on the pitch we're absolutely not better off, just because 38 year old Wilbraham finally scored a goal.

We've got amazing spirit that might just pull us through and a damn fine manager. But in the summer, he (GM) will absolutely need replacing.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:10 pm
But in the summer, he (GM) will absolutely need replacing.
And I'd love us to land that big fella at QPR. Right up Parky's street that lad, and seemingly struggling to get a game down there.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
And I'd love us to land that big fella at QPR. Right up Parky's street that lad, and seemingly struggling to get a game down there.
Don't you start, I've got Flanners in my ear for every away game. Matt Smith this, Matt Smith that. I see Tom Eaves has scored 13 for Gillingham... :D

Clearly not the same sort of striker but I wonder whether we'll chuck our hat in the ring to borrow Ashley Fletcher off Boro next season. He ain't getting in their team, whether they go up or not. There'll be plenty others around. Like yer man Charlie Wyke at Bradford, who must be wondering what the hell happened there. Not a giant but he's scored 21 in 53 for that lot; he's got a year left after this season, but they might be willing to sell if he's unwilling to extend.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Yep. Or just recruit some real pace into the front line. With a bit of strength too, but I think pace will be critical. As much as a big target man as well would be nice, building a team that can consistently hit on the counter tends to produce good results in this league.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:49 pm

I still don't understand why Clough only got ten seconds... again.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Don't you start, I've got Flanners in my ear for every away game. Matt Smith this, Matt Smith that. I see Tom Eaves has scored 13 for Gillingham... :D

Clearly not the same sort of striker but I wonder whether we'll chuck our hat in the ring to borrow Ashley Fletcher off Boro next season. He ain't getting in their team, whether they go up or not. There'll be plenty others around. Like yer man Charlie Wyke at Bradford, who must be wondering what the hell happened there. Not a giant but he's scored 21 in 53 for that lot; he's got a year left after this season, but they might be willing to sell if he's unwilling to extend.
My apologies, however, I don't think I'm familiar with Flanners. Knows his onions though ;)

Matt Smith. You know you're getting old when you can't remember a guy's name and it's as simple as Matt Smith. Yeah, though - very impressed by him when we played them down there.

Tell Flanners he's clearly a salt-of-the-earth type (unless he too uses adjectives as nouns) :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:31 pm
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

My apologies, however, I don't think I'm familiar with Flanners. Knows his onions though ;)

Matt Smith. You know you're getting old when you can't remember a guy's name and it's as simple as Matt Smith. Yeah, though - very impressed by him when we played them down there.

Tell Flanners he's clearly a salt-of-the-earth type (unless he too uses adjectives as nouns) :D
Flanners is Chris Flanagan: FourFourTwo writer, hardest-working man in football media, author of Who Put The Ball In The Munich Net?, and general top bloke whom it's a privilege to know. Even if he's slightly obsessed with Matt Smith :D

(We're more likely to get fellow QPR striker Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, who's out of contract, out of the first team picture and 6ft3in)

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:34 am

Urgh. I remember JET being particularly inept for Gillingham against us last season. Just disinterested, fat and shit.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:30 am

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:34 am
Urgh. I remember JET being particularly inept for Gillingham against us last season. Just disinterested, fat and shit.
Aye, definitely seems like one who could have all the physical attributes but not the psychological ones.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 am

Flanners is Chris Flanagan: FourFourTwo writer, hardest-working man in football media, author of Who Put The Ball In The Munich Net?
Ahhh

Alas, Flanners. I know of him, Horatio.