When Saturday Comes....it's Wednesday, but will the Owls know what day it is? Wed v Bolton 10th of March. 3-0'clock.

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

When Saturday Comes....it's Wednesday, but will the Owls know what day it is? Wed v Bolton 10th of March. 3-0'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Is their manager playing early mind games to catch us unawares at the Hillsborough Stadium, and can we twitter the Owls? Who's to watch out for and will we go new look team or no?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: When Saturday Comes....it's Wednesday, but will the Owls know what day it is? Wed v Bolton 10th of March. 3-0'clock

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:51 pm

WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: When Saturday Comes....it's Wednesday, but will the Owls know what day it is? Wed v Bolton 10th of March. 3-0'clock

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Help.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Without a doubt if I'd'a composed the thread title, not only would I'd'a'not given it two variations but I'd'a referenced Luhukay/Lucky in there somewhere. :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Without a doubt if I'd'a composed the thread title, not only would I'd'a'not given it two variations but I'd'a referenced Luhukay/Lucky in there somewhere. :D
Compose a good title and I'll swap it. :wink:
"When Saturday Comes" was a football film based around Sheffield(United actually), made back in 1996 and starring Sean Bean, and what with the Owls being Sheffield Wednesday..and, oh, never mind..on with it... :D

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 am

I quite like the thread title. It was so good it spawned its own offspring :)

We should have a chance in this game. Sheffield Wed have made a couple of puzzling appointments in Katrien Meire as chief executive and Josh Luhukay as manager. Meire was hated at Charlton as part of the loathed ownership duo along with Roland Duchatelet as between them they appointed a number of foreign managers who didn't adapt to the English game and lasted a very short space of time. Charlton have ended up in L1. And now there is a sense of history repeating at Sheffield Wed with Luhukay's experience being mostly in the German second division. Five successive defeats and the manager declaring the team has no confidence does not look good. No Bannan, no Forestieri, no Hooper, no Fletcher, no Kieran Lee, no David Marshall in goal. They look a different team completely than the one that nearly got promoted twice under Carvahal.

The 2000 whites fans to come home jubilant as the classified score reads Sheffield Wednesday 1 Bolton Wanderers 2 #hoorah

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:31 am

I had no idea about this one :oops: Looks like it's sold out or it's too late to buy tickets. Any pay on the gate?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:25 am
The 2000 whites fans to come home jubilant as the classified score reads Sheffield Wednesday 1 Bolton Wanderers 2 #hoorah
Theirs presumably scored by Jordan Rhodes, earning his £35,000 a week by scoring against us as usual. He's scored 8 in 11 appearances; at a total of 842 minutes against us that's one every 105 minutes. So maybe he'll score on an empty pitch just as the jubilant away end empties... :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 pm
"When Saturday Comes" was a football film based around Sheffield(United actually), made back in 1996 and starring Sean Bean,
And was 4ucking shit - as is every attempt to ever make a film about football, and as is anything with Sean Bean in it as he's a shit actor.

He's one of these who, like Ray Winstone, only ever plays himself in everything he's in.

Other than for that, when Saturday afternoon does come we'll lose 1-0.

And with that I'll bid you all a good morning. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 pm
"When Saturday Comes" was a football film based around Sheffield(United actually), made back in 1996 and starring Sean Bean,
And was 4ucking shit - as is every attempt to ever make a film about football, and as is anything with Sean Bean in it as he's a shit actor.

He's one of these who, like Ray Winstone, only ever plays himself in everything he's in.

Other than for that, when Saturday afternoon does come we'll lose 1-0.

And with that I'll bid you all a good morning. :)
Apart from GoT. But yes WsC was a dreadful, dreadful film. Entirely unrealistic as well. Which for a film that was mean to be "gritty and realistic" is an issue.

Agree on the result too sadly.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 am

Football films are very hard to get right. Even if you can get the acting right, football writes its own narratives, and they aren't very often structured in the traditional build-to-a-climax way. For every Liverpool-Arsenal 89 there's a thousand ground-out 1-0 wins which are celebrated enthusiastically but not calibrated cinematically.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:52 am

I thought it was a superb film, especially the bits featuring the kestrel.
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 am
Football films are very hard to get right. Even if you can get the acting right, football writes its own narratives, and they aren't very often structured in the traditional build-to-a-climax way. For every Liverpool-Arsenal 89 there's a thousand ground-out 1-0 wins which are celebrated enthusiastically but not calibrated cinematically.
The book fever pitch is how you do it narrative justice IMHO.

ITV also did a drama with Neil Morrissey around the Euro 96 (the football was tangential to the story) but I thought it was quite good. Probably wasn't in hindsight, but certainly how I remember it.

However, the damned united has to be the pinnacle both book and film form were top, top class.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 pm

That one with Pele was alright, and that one with the Indian lass was okay too.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 pm
Ended as the most obvious draw ever. To beat Germany in reality mut be hard to take for them, to do it in a film and World War III would have broken out immediately. It was reasonably enjoyable because the film wasn't just about football, and then again, how could you have such a film without an American being the hero, and Sylvester Stalone at that. :wink:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:11 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:44 pm
Ended as the most obvious draw ever. To beat Germany in reality mut be hard to take for them, to do it in a film and World War 111 would have broken out immediately. It was reasonably enjoyable because the film wasn't just about football, and then again, how could you have such a film without an American being the hero, and Sylvester Stalone at that. :wink:
They invented cinematography. It's a little known clause of their Hollywood trademark that an American must always be the main hero (like whatsisface on the motorbike in the Great Escape - if they'd have played football whilst spreading dirt, dug up by the Limeys, from their shorts he'd have scored a goal, probably while wearing his baseball mitt just to underline his impeccable American fortitude).
PS all this film talk is admirably diverting my attention away from the usual pre-match nail biting tension. Excellent thread title choice, sir.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Got a feeling in my waters we'll win this.

Though my waters don't have the best track record.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Let's hope to God your waters aren't about to break.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:18 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:34 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Let's hope to God your waters aren't about to break.
His water's frozen. The snowflake :D

2-1 win and we all breathe a little easier
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"