We've been to Elland back, but the great escape is on! Leeds v BWFC 30/3/18 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

We've been to Elland back, but the great escape is on! Leeds v BWFC 30/3/18 3pm

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:31 pm

We return to action with a trip to Elland Road to face the (once) mighty Leeds United on Good Friday.

The season has turned into a bit of a let down for Leeds. Hopes for this season were high, as after last seasons seventh placed finish, new chairman Andrea Radrizzani endeared himself to the home faithful by repurchasing the stadium as well as spending around £11m on a number of mostly foreign players. Despite losing manager Garry Monk and striker Chris Wood (£15m to Burnley) they started well with a convincing victory on the opening day here at the Macron and on boxing day, after a 2-1 victory at Burton, their fourth win in succession, they were primed for a long awaited and craved for return to the Premiership sitting 5th in the table with 42 points from 24 games, just five points behind 2nd placed Bristol City. Fast forward three months and all hopes of promotion have evaporated after a 14 game run of W1 D5 L8. Spanish manager Thomas Christiensen was sacked in February and replaced by Paul Heckingbottom who left Barnsley feeling jilted as he ended his stay there days after signing a new contract. The new manager bounce was modest as a run of W1 D2 L1 was succeeded by one point from their last four games.

We have moved in the opposite direction. At the end of September, fresh out of a damaging transfer embargo, we had two points from eleven games and the chances of us staying up were categorized alongside the chances of Simon Cowell becoming the next Prime Minister, or Bono becoming the next Pope. Yet today we sit in 19th place, six points above 21st placed Barnsley and 22nd placed Birmingham. One half decent final push in these last eight games and we will have survived. It has been a brilliant effort from Parky in particular and everyone involved with the club from the fans all the way up to Ken at the top, and if we pull it off it will surely be one of our best achievements for a long time. Still the job is not yet done, and although at one point this fixture looked like one we could write off as a loss with a view to getting points from a number of easier looking games in the run in, suddenly with the form Leeds are in this looks a possibility. After getting some points with poor performances, performances have improved in the last three games as we reverted to a 4-2-3-1. And with the likes of Flanagan and Kirchhoff bringing a bit more quality around the squad, and ALF doing a sterling job up front, we don't look in bad shape.

This game is headed for a 38000 sell out with BWFC having sold out the 2500 away end. A win here, and we will be out of the tunnel, in the woods, with the guards still sleeping. Can we? can we? Leeds 1-2 Bolton, with the away end going bonkers, and Tango having to douse out the fire on his keyboard!! COYW.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: We've been to Elland back, but the great escape is on! Leeds v BWFC 30/3/18 3pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:46 pm

So wish I could be going to this. Bloody work

They looked such a good side on the opening day I was sure they'd be top 2 or 3 by now.

We haven't won away on the last couple of attempts where we were well capable. I expect that to continue

1-1 draw
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: We've been to Elland back, but the great escape is on! Leeds v BWFC 30/3/18 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Good title, Bristol. I hope we can take the points on this one. Malcolm Alison seems a lifetime ago now. Got to forget about the season start; we're a different kettle of kippers now. Hopes are high...Come on you Whites.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:49 pm
Malcolm Alison seems a lifetime ago now.
You're going to have to explain this one, TD. As far as I can see, Malcolm Allison never played for or managed Leeds.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
You're going to have to explain this one, TD. As far as I can see, Malcolm Allison never played for or managed Leeds.
No indeed,D.S.B. but he was a big fan and made a huge hullabaloo about them being "The best ever")

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
No indeed,D.S.B. but he was a big fan and made a huge hullabaloo about them being "The best ever")
Fair enough.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:20 pm

I was supposed to be going to this one, but the kids have picked up a virus and if I go then the away end will likely catch the plague off me. If I hear any more moaning between now and Friday and I might go and cough on everyone.

Their home form has been garbage recently, so there has to be some cause for optimism.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:20 pm
I was supposed to be going to this one, but the kids have picked up a virus and if I go then the away end will likely catch the plague off me. If I hear any more moaning between now and Friday and I might go and cough on everyone.

Their home form has been garbage recently, so there has to be some cause for optimism.
At the risk of jumping into a dead man's slippers, GotB, should you have a ticket available for sale ......................

Oh, yeah, get well soon and all of that business etc. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:49 pm

Three points here and 3 next Tuesday against Brum in a 6 pointer and I reckon we're virtually home and dry. Mathematic certainty might take another couple of matches.

There has to be cause for optimism here but I'd happily take a point away, even at this stage of the season. We've got the Nigerian to make an appearance yet, have a largely fit squad and they've been garbage recently. The opener at our place left us counting missed chances and was a result of us having failed to capitalise on some great opportunities.

I'm going 2-1 to us and the possibility of an amazing atmosphere on Tuesday night.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:22 pm

Iles tweet: "Some worrying injury news coming from Phil Parkinson's press conference. Darren Pratley and Karl Henry both considered doubtful for the Leeds trip." Kirchhoff & Derik behind Vela then?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:22 pm
Iles tweet: "Some worrying injury news coming from Phil Parkinson's press conference. Darren Pratley and Karl Henry both considered doubtful for the Leeds trip." Kirchhoff & Derik behind Vela then?
Interesting one. See, for me, if Henry was out alone then I'd drop Pratley anyway and run with your suggested set-up.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Hopefully it's fake news

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:47 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:06 pm
Hopefully it's fake news
Parky playing mind games, nevah!. Insupportable.... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 pm

This could be one of those that need a bit of extra looking out for babana skins. We need to ignore talk of Leeds lack of form and remember the Villa Game. Keep a mental picture of Arsene Wenger's "Fxcking Bolton" outburst and be merciless in our approach. It's just about three points, despite any hoo-ha. COME ON YOU WHITES...

:oyea: :oyea:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:46 pm

No Henry and no Pratley. Buckley, Sammy, Kirchhoff, Derik and Vela in midfield and ALF up front. Not sure of a Derik and Kirchoff pairing. Have we got enough steel in the middle?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Having some problem getting fans to the game.Tower claim a motorway accident has closed some routes off and only about a third of the faithful have got there yet. Rough luck on them and hope they get there. Henry more bad news than Pratley even and I hope the replacements work. Decewnt bench, but lets hope we keep the sprak ignited. Come on lads, get in there, Red rose over White.. :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Ready to roll in Yorkie land. Sounds a big home support, but let's get amongst them early. Taylor is capt for the day. And...away we go.....Eltingham is the ref, a card dispenser without a doubt. His fourth game over us this season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Vela stepping up today as the homers get the first goal kick. A bad back from Taylor allows an effort to go wide, but we don't need that. They sally again and get a corner. Short and Flanagan part clears to halfway, but back they come and....score....1-0 them.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Fecking awful defending.

Gonna be one long fecking game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Poor defending and that Mohamadan? fellow capitalises and fires it home. Not the sort of start we had in mind. Off again and...the homers are baying for blood. They come again and..Taylor clears. Buckley wins our first free kick around halfway. And...mic lads chat, then..a throw to us. Flanagan and....in and..goes for a goal kick. A bit of this and that and we get a throw again. Come on mic lads, remember we have no view. Millwall beat Forest 2-0 elsewhere. Vela, Flanagan, Vela, Flanagan and....a corner. Sammi, and....it goes over. Goal kick and...some more chat, then....throw them...Buckley decks one, but we get the throw. Beeversw and Burke sally and...we get another throw well down. Kirchoff loses out and ...they break. Estaban, Dallas, Viera.....Taylor now, Vela, Flanagan, Sammi....Taylor, Buckley and...he gets s afree kick..