Will we be beating the Blues, or singing the blues? BWFC v Birmingham 3/4/18 8pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Will we be beating the Blues, or singing the blues? BWFC v Birmingham 3/4/18 8pm

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:17 pm

We are back on it tomorrow as we take on Birmingham, one place below us and three points behind, in what looks the most crucial game of he season thus far.

This has been a season of turmoil for Birmingham. They are currently on their 3rd permanent manager, and are 4th bottom despite spending £15m on new players in the summer, and are the league's lowest scorers. Garry Monk who nine months ago was revered as the Leeds manager who had brought respect and hope back to Elland Road, and then was the man Steve Gibson mistakenly entrusted to "smash the Championship" is now the man Birmingham have turned to in a desperate bid to avoid the drop to L1. There are signs it is working as they have won their last two home games 3-0 v Hull, and 1-0 v Ipswich.

For us, we are in the final stretch of our attempt to make a miraculous recovery from a terrible start. Henry is a crucial and it would be good if he could be fit from his tight hamstring that meant he couldn't play against Leeds. Pratley also missed Leeds but otherwise there are no reported injuries so we should be able to field a competitive side.

Birmingham have sold out the 4800 away end, and over 20000 are expected for the biggest crowd of the season so far. This is going to be tense. If we lose we are right back in danger, particularly if the signs of life shown at Barnsley and Sunderland gather momentum. They will be optimistic and confident, it is going to be tough. I see a 0-0 which wouldn't be a disaster. COYW.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Will we be beating the Blues, or singing the blues? BWFC v Birmingham 3/4/18 8pm

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Proper, PROPER 6 pointer this. Anything less than a win could prove to be our undoing, but 3 points tomorrow and a point apiece at Burton and Barnsley away should be enough to guarantee safety. Lose this and with 2 tough matches coming up, we could be sucked right back into the danger zone. They have their tails up and I expect a really cagey performance from both teams,as they try to hold out for a point and catch us on the break. I'm going for 2-0 to us in a comfortable win.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Will we be beating the Blues, or singing the blues? BWFC v Birmingham 3/4/18 8pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:24 pm

I remember going to two "last game of the season" matches against Brum. One, they were already going down as relegation victims. Hope we can forget about all the rest of the teams around us, play football and win. Nothing else really matters and excuses won't do any good. We must win, well or ugly regardless. We must, so we will.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 pm

I'm going. Proper fairweather(!) fan these days. Can't get to Saturday fixtures so have to settle for the midweekers. That this one is a reduced price affair is a bit of a bonus! COME ON YOU WHITES!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:33 pm

Assuming Pratley and Henry are classed as fit to play, how do you see the line-up tonight? Kyle Walker (who I'd almost forgotten about) and Connor Hall, Zac Clough and Wilbraham are all fit and pushing for places according to Parky and no team injuries are being mentioned elsewhere. Good sort of selection headache really, so how are you filling the sheet?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Although it'd be lovely to pick Kyle Walker, I imagine it wouldn't go down well with the Football League and Pep Guardiola...

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:06 pm

I probably wouldn't play him up front either :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:45 pm
Although it'd be lovely to pick Kyle Walker, I imagine it wouldn't go down well with the Football League and Pep Guardiola...
Okay, his lad then. My error, I meant Tyler... :oops:

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:38 pm

I'd like to see Antoneeee back (if he's available? post USA). Much as I like Taylor he's been caught out at crucial moments last couple of games. Prefer we play on the front foot tonight n'all. Working tonight but will be tuning into Tango if the broadcast's available

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:41 pm

As I think I said elsewhere, although Monk has had a couple of good results, tactically he might suit us more than Cotterill, who would have come to defend stoutly and hope to nick something; that's generally our plan, so when someone else does it to us - like Burton did at ours - we're not quite sure what to do.

With Birmingham having won their most recent two games, being backed by a big travelling support and managed by a good-time guy wanting to maintain momentum, I'd expect them to come at us rather than sit back – and that will suit Parky. We might wish to tweak our personnel; Henry is always a miss, Pratley offers a quicker out-ball than Vela, and after the full-backs suffered at Leeds we might want to bring Antonee Robinson and/or Mark Little, who would also offer a quicker transition from our defence to attack. That extra (counter-)attacking potential might make up for any slight shortcomings in their defensive games compared to the doughtier Taylor and Flanagan.

And despite those wins, Birmingham are not Holland 74. They put consecutive wins together against Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday in late Jan/early Feb, and then lost seven on the bounce. Their recent victims were a Hull side who'd switched off somewhat after pulling clear of the dots, and an Ipswich side who'd switched off entirely after announcing they were going to dump Mick Mac in summer. I would fully expect Bolton to be better than either of those opponents, and I would reason that this is likely to be enough. A draw is not a disaster but I'd like to put this to bed tonight; as noted on the other thread, with the two teams directly above us travelling to Villa and Wolves, we could not only put ourselves a distance above the drop-zone but also clamber back over some human shields in the meantime.

COYWM.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:38 pm
I'd like to see Antoneeee back (if he's available? post USA). Much as I like Taylor he's been caught out at crucial moments last couple of games. Prefer we play on the front foot tonight n'all. Working tonight but will be tuning into Tango if the broadcast's available
Aye, I'll be bumbling happily along, getting names and spellings wrong and swearing occasionally when all doesn't go to plan.
Come on you Whites... :wink:

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Tonight is a massive one for both teams which shall be a test for Parky.

Wanderers will have to score more than their usual one if they are going to beat this stubborn lot, and that is asking something. I fear for the club should we lose tonight.
Hopefully the fans will give as much support for the Whites as the Brummy fans will. Looking forward to a very tense evening.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 pm

:-D Thanks (R)TD

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:37 pm

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 19.36.39.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 19.36.39.png (153.67 KiB) Viewed 9716 times

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 pm

As anticipated if Henry was fit (he is) and a strong-looking bench. Thought Robinson might have come in at left back, but Andy Taylor is captain tonight. So, all that's left is to say...COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:01 pm

No Barcelona stuff and trying to walk it in boys. See the goals, do a Richard Sneekes and "Shoot"....And we're off in front of a healthy, noisy crowd (5,000 Brummies apparently) Music blaring and mic lads all fired up....Come on....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Wolves 1-0 Hull (Jota 18'p)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:07 pm

We go....the visitors give us our first goal kick after a quick dash at us. Sammi chases, we get a throw. Flanners, gets it back but they wallop it clear and Burke knocks it out for a throw. We lose out and they try to feed Duuke. We clear and Henry comes in like a Sam missile and gives one away. Back and forth, they break and sally at us and....they get a corner when mic man says it should be a goal kick. In and....Ben clears. Sammi goes and....goes down. They break and..Derik does well for us. Oh. we go to Bury..goody.

Meanwhile, Alf tries, Morrison clears...back it goes, cleared again and.....Alf is given offside.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:12 pm

Madoma and Adams get a mention, then we sally and they scramble clear. Taylor, Buckley, Derik, Taylor......et.....Vela, Burke.....Henry.....Buckley, Taylor Beevers and.....here, there and everywhere. They come now and Morrison figures. Harding clears to Juke....and Adams is offside. Free kick us. All that passing sounds very nice, then Alf goes and...goes down. No cigar. Vela, Morrison, Juke......and Henry gets a whack off Juke and we get a free kick. Flanners and....in and...out for a goal kick.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Reading down to ten men at Villa - Dave Edwards second yellow on the half-hour