Lion tamers or clowns? Bolton v Millwall Tuesday Apr 10th 8 pm. .

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Lion tamers or clowns? Bolton v Millwall Tuesday Apr 10th 8 pm. .

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:50 pm

We're asking this set of players, being put out in this negative a fashion, with this little confidence, to win 50% of their remaining games.

Not scored in 3 games. Haven't scored more than one in a game since before Christmas - that's 20 games ago. It beggars belief, to be honest.

I thought home form would decide it. If it does, we are gone. It's suddenly all about winning on the road twice in 4 games.

I wasn't at the game tonight. God help me, I'll be at the Barnsley game. I'm fully expecting to be in the drop zone by the final whistle. I'm naturally optimistic about football, but we are awful.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:31 am

Starting to doubt parky now. What exactly are our tactics? What is the aim, what are we trying to achieve minute to minute on the pitch? Because all I can see is long balls to Alf who has three!! Defenders around him all of whom were a foot taller, this isn't a tactic that will ever work so we need to fecking do something different. Were not going to pass and move, the players we have can't play that way, it's not desire, or bottle they're just not capable. Asking them to pass on the ground is like asking Alf to play a target man it's not happening, at all. So as were definitely going to hoof it on Saturday can we play a forward whose height in feet begins with a fecking 6, that's not a massive ask!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:37 am

Losing to top six contenders, indeed any top end clubs, in our present circumstances is the norm rather than the unexpected. Our plight is due to all those soft goals we gave away amd matches we lost that maybe should have won in the first three quarters of the season. Blaming Parky for the current show is like blaming a one-armed golfer for not winning the Open. The club is in a mess that only capital can save. We'd better hope the pound fairy flies in from somewhere during the break because we can't go on forever on hope. Parky isn't the root of our problems by any means.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am

We started well. First 20 minutes we played some football and got at them. Sadly it also looked like they would trouble us at the back.

The pivotal moment was ALF fluffing his lines clean through on goal. From then on Millwall took over the game more and more and after they scored, you knew that was absolutely that. Parky went for it with the changes second half, Clough and Morais coming on left us absolutely wide open and Millwall drove buses through us. Anyone who questions why Clough isn't playing, watch his pathetic efforts second half yesterday. Shirks challenges, doesn't commit and runs with the ball like a headless chicken straight into trouble.

8 goals in 14 since our top scorer left. Not more than 1 goal in any game since. It tells a story. There simply are not enough goals in this side.

The team selection - Derik is the worst midfield player I've ever seen. Why Parkinson plays him is beyond me. You can literally watch him hide behind opposition players so as not to get the ball. He has no intensity - nothing. An absolute shirker. Taylor was exposed for his lack of pace. Robinson cannot defend but given our entire 11 lacks pace HAS to come back in.

Beyond that I don't think there are many options for Parky. As I said when Madine left, our problem was we're left with a side of non-scorers - ALF may get a few but simply isn't suited to our team and we don't have the players to change the game in any way. Really ALF needs a partner we don't have.

The two games we've won since losing Madine have both to an extent been freak results. They weren't a pattern you could repeat. We won them by scoring basically our only chance of the game and the opposition not creating much. But most of the time teams will score against us and we'll not convert our one chance or it will come at the wrong time.

I can't see anything but an embarrassing defeat at Barnsley and similar home to Wolves where they will seal their promotion and have a party. More gutwrenching pain. We'll probably beat Burton who will be gone by then and then probably draw with Forest. Doubt that will be enough. Its the most optimistic I can be right now. Thanks Ken for selling BIg Gaz. Going well. But at least the accounts will be a better read eh? Lots of consolation there.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks Ken for selling BIg Gaz. Going well. But at least the accounts will be a better read eh? Lots of consolation there.....
I'm wondering what else he could have done. Maybe we should remember Madine wanted and chose to go? Maybe we should remember he was head-hunted not advertised for sale, and maybe the answer to it all is give the six mil? or whatever back and have him back? No money to pay him, or the bills of course, but hey, we'd have him back in the side even if we were back in court Monday to fight another round with the Inland Revenue.?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:10 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:05 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks Ken for selling BIg Gaz. Going well. But at least the accounts will be a better read eh? Lots of consolation there.....
I'm wondering what else he could have done. Maybe we should remember Madine wanted and chose to go? Maybe we should remember he was head-hunted not advertised for sale, and maybe the answer to it all is give the six mil? or whatever back and have him back? No money to pay him, or the bills of course, but hey, we'd have him back in the side?
So Ken says. I'm sure he wouldn't have turned down doubling his salary. Fair play. That's different to selling him because he threw a strop and put a request in. We know why he was sold, and its the same reason we've not invested in this team at all. Because Ken bought the club for £1 and simply wants to run it without any additional cost to him, so he can sell it on for a nice tidy profit. That means we need to sell a player every year to cover costs.

As for the rest, seems we have a few other players in the side who "want to go". Pity they are still here.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:48 am

throwawayboltonian wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 am

Time is running out for us with some unfavourable fixtures and I'm beginning to think it's more likely that we'll go down than stay up.
We are already in a stay-up situation right now; it's the chasers (of which in reality there's only one, ie Barnsley) that are the ones who have to win. A draw leaves it as is and only a win for them will do or they'll probably go down. Thus, it's really in our hands more than ever. We just cannot lose but we won't win if we keep thinking negative and looking over our shoulders. Brum are just one point in front of us, Reading three. If we win, and both lose the game changes. We have to find a way of winning, its that simple. Bring Robinson at least back in, forget about Zac Clough who's just a visitor and accept the fact that Alf will only score with a big lad to win the ariel balls we so love to wallop forth. Toshack and Keegan, Quinn and Phillips, Big Kev and anybody...are the methods to follow when our optionless tank is empty. Sammi is no front man and needs to be running at defences to operate best. Wheats and probably Burke in the c.d. roles and Vela to get kick up the buttocks and reminded he's being paid to play football. Last season two central defenders scored 15 goals between them, mainly from set pieces, this season...one?

Amen.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:48 am

Time is running out for us with some unfavourable fixtures and I'm beginning to think it's more likely that we'll go down than stay up.
We are already in a stay-up situation right now; it's the chasers (of which in reality there's only one, ie Barnsley) that are the ones who have to win. A draw leaves it as is and only a win for them will do or they'll probably go down. Thus, it's really in our hands more than ever. We just cannot lose but we won't win if we keep thinking negative and looking over our shoulders. Brum are just one point in front of us, Reading three. If we win, and both lose the game changes. We have to find a way of winning, its that simple. Bring Robinson at least back in, forget about Zac Clough who's just a visitor and accept the fact that Alf will only score with a big lad to win the ariel balls we so love to wallop forth. Toshack and Keegan, Quinn and Phillips, Big Kev and anybody...are the methods to follow when our optionless tank is empty. Sammi is no front man and needs to be running at defences to operate best. Wheats and probably Burke in the c.d. roles and Vela to get kick up the buttocks and reminded he's being paid to play football. Last season two central defenders scored 15 goals between them, mainly from set pieces, this season...one?

Amen.
Just to be clear, if we draw at Barnsley its then out of our hands as they have a game in hand. So would overtake us with that.

Who is the big lad you want to play up with ALF? We haven't got one....

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

Amen.
Just to be clear, if we draw at Barnsley its then out of our hands as they have a game in hand. So would overtake us with that.

Well, we've got Wheater... can't be any fecking worse than nobody.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

As much as he has struggled since he has returned (and barely had a chance tbf, 5 minutes here and there or half an hour when you're losing is tough), Clough has to play. We're desperately short of quality on the final third and he and Sammi and the only players capable of creating something out of nothing. Not like Buckley or Noone have done anything.

Derik is fecking worse that Pratley for Christ's sake and should never be seen again.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Amen.

Hmm. A slow lumbering centre half up front....I mean last 10 minutes when we're losing, sure. Start him up there against Barnsley? Smells like suicide to me.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 pm

I'd be tempted to play a 3-5-2 & for a big lump up top use Wilbraham with Alf alongside. Morais and little as wingbacks. Middle 3 of Henry and two other useless feckers that claim to play that position
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 pm
I'd be tempted to play a 3-5-2 & for a big lump up top use Wilbraham with Alf alongside. Morais and little as wingbacks. Middle 3 of Henry and two other useless feckers that claim to play that position
3 at the back is suicide also. As we saw at Derby.

Old man Wilbraham is a waste of time.

We have officially run out of steam and options.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm

It's a very simple problem of mathematics: we don't score enough and we concede too many.

As noted above, we haven't scored more than one goal in 19 league games. (This includes five games with Gary Madine, in which we scored 0, 1, 1, 0, 1.) We've failed to score in eight of those games, but three of those have been this week.

In the same time, we've kept six clean sheets (and won five of those games 1-0, drawing the other at Norwich).

In the same timeframe (ie since Boxing Day, inclusive), Barnsley have played 18, won 3 games (1-0 at Sunderland, 2-0 at Birmingham and the other day at home to Blades), scored 2+ on three occasions, failed to score five times and kept four clean sheets.

But it's really about us. We've lost two knacks simultaneously: keeping clean sheets and scoring from somewhere (a 38-year-old, a 15-yard ALF header). Both are possible this weekend. I would hope we're spending some serious time working on set-pieces because they might save our arse.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm
It's a very simple problem of mathematics: we don't score enough and we concede too many.

As noted above, we haven't scored more than one goal in 19 league games. (This includes five games with Gary Madine, in which we scored 0, 1, 1, 0, 1.) We've failed to score in eight of those games, but three of those have been this week.

In the same time, we've kept six clean sheets (and won five of those games 1-0, drawing the other at Norwich).

In the same timeframe (ie since Boxing Day, inclusive), Barnsley have played 18, won 3 games (1-0 at Sunderland, 2-0 at Birmingham and the other day at home to Blades), scored 2+ on three occasions, failed to score five times and kept four clean sheets.

But it's really about us. We've lost two knacks simultaneously: keeping clean sheets and scoring from somewhere (a 38-year-old, a 15-yard ALF header). Both are possible this weekend. I would hope we're spending some serious time working on set-pieces because they might save our arse.
We've also lost some spirit. However, I cannot help but come back to, when you barely score enough goals, losing your top scorer who has 10 goals and 5 assists in January, when at the time the nearest to him had 3....is suicide.

Throughout the team we lack goals at this level.

Set pieces is bang on. They're our best chance yet last night they were utterly abysmal. Morais has to play and has to get his delivery right.

Since Madine has gone the two games we've won have been ones nobody expected us to. Therefore little pressure. Yet the ones we expect to or need to have been ballsed up to the max. The lack of bottle in the squad rears its head again.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Oh aye it's no magic formula but games where we need to score/win for me needs 2 up top. Against Wolves let's get all 11 behind the ball and hope to hang on for a 0-0.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 pm

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Oh aye it's no magic formula but games where we need to score/win for me needs 2 up top. Against Wolves let's get all 11 behind the ball and hope to hang on for a 0-0.
I'm hoping that Wolves will have the league wrapped up and nothing to play for by the time that fixture comes around, and it'll be a repeat of Peterborough last season. Can't see it happening, but I can always hope...
Don't think that is possible now is it?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Amen.

Hmm. A slow lumbering centre half up front....I mean last 10 minutes when we're losing, sure. Start him up there against Barnsley? Smells like suicide to me.
We either lump it long and have ALF and somebody else up front - and as you've pointed out Wlbrahahahabum is next to useless, so as I said Wheater is much better than nobody else. Or we play it along the deck and have Ameobi and Clough up front, with Robinson and Little as link ups with the 'defence'. I'd have Morais in with either set up. But whichever we need to try one or the other. To make myself crystal: what we've been doing ain't working and given what we've got the alternatives are lump it up to Two Big'uns, or pass it along to Two Speedy'uns.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm hoping that Wolves will have the league wrapped up and nothing to play for by the time that fixture comes around, and it'll be a repeat of Peterborough last season. Can't see it happening, but I can always hope...
As long as the thought of John McGinlay stays in Wolves memory they won't give us the time of day. Beating them is the only option. Don't forget..we are the one and only Wanderers....gulp... :shock:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:30 pm
Don't think that is possible now is it?
Wolves could be up by Saturday night.

If they win tonight they’ll be 12pts clear of third-placed Cardiff (who have five games left) and 11 clear of Fulham (who have four to play).

If Fulham and Cardiff both lose on Saturday, Wolves will still be 12pts clear of Cardiff (who’ll then have four games left) and 11 clear of Fulham (who’ll then have three left and thus couldn’t catch Wolves). That would see Wolves promoted on Saturday teatime without playing (Fulham kick-off at 5.30).

They could wrap up the title at home to our dear friends Birmingham this Sunday – in those circumstances a draw would suffice, putting them an uncatchable 13pts clear of Cardiff.

It's got so many ifs that Occam's got a beard – it'd need four results to go in their favour - but it's possible. Whether it would stop them being able to swat us aside is quite another question.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.