Lion tamers or clowns? Bolton v Millwall Tuesday Apr 10th 8 pm. .

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Lion tamers or clowns? Bolton v Millwall Tuesday Apr 10th 8 pm. .

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Really no laughs left now; no excuses, no explanations and nothing but 90 minutes of effort and a win will do. Millwall have the form, pushing for the play-offs and look a bookie's banker bet. We, meanwhile....have slipped down the snakes and not a ladder in sight. For what it's worth, Keith Stroud is the ref tomorrow; don't know if that's good or bad but he has a bit of a controversial history with some iffy decisions. Seems to like yellow cards if stats are anything to go by?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lion tamers or clowns? Bolton v Millwall Tuesday Apr 10th 8 pm. .

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Bad news: "Wanderers will have to face Millwall without skipper Darren Pratley, who is struggling with a shin injury despite having two painkilling injections into the site."

Also bad news that this is bad news, but y'know.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... val_fight/
I feel we have got the players to get ourselves out of the situation but I feel we have got to rediscover some belief. After the Villa game people were starting to look towards the summer holidays, thinking it was job done. In my mind I knew there was work to do, and that teams around us would pick up points, which they have done.

We were beaten [at Derby] because we gave two soft goals to a very good team. Millwall is a huge game now. Whatever system we play, whatever way we play – long ball, short ball, whatever, I am not bothered. I just want to see more resilience.

[Do the players believe?] You’ll have to ask them. Of course I believe we can stay up. We have had some good victories against better teams in the league, certainly at home, but we have to get our heads together and make sure everyone understands what is required. We need more belief. We have been in some tricky situations in my two years at the club, this is another one, but we will dig ourselves out of trouble.
Oh but hang on, BREAKING NEWS OFF THE TWITTERS from Iles: "Wanderers team news: Both Pratley and Morais showing progress after injury. Neither now ruled out for Millwall. Obasi groin injury means he won't be involved."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Is this Obasi fella going to figure at all, or are we just collecting names?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 pm
Right from the off it seemed a curious one. Parky was incredibly cautious - didn't he say something like "Don't expect him in the first team any time soon"? – and that led to the predictable but understandable claims that Ken had signed him without Parky's consent, the manager's not in control of signings, etc etc.

It's the type of signing that only very irregularly "works", but when it does it's worth the misses. Sam regularly took a chance on who's-he signings, and he had far more Pierre-Yves Andrés than Florent Lavilles. And that's when we had (some) money to spend. We're proper Poundland, us.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:02 pm

They've got to lose sometime...unbeaten in the league this calendar year.

1-0 to the Whites.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:02 pm

1-0 to the Whites.
OH YOU'RE SUCH A PREDICTABLE DOOM-MONGeh?! :D

They seem to be made of strong stuff, and titfers off to them for how well they've done. But they've built their success on long-ball football and frankly I fancy our chances more against that than those clever bastards who "pass" and "move" around us.

Ugly home goal off someone's dick in the 15th minute, 80 minutes of panic thereafter, Millwall goal disallowed, hold on, Wheavers clean sheet, Sweet Caroline, level on points with Reading (who lose at Fulham) and four clear of Barnsley (who scab a draw at Ipswich), hope.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:02 pm

1-0 to the Whites.
OH YOU'RE SUCH A PREDICTABLE DOOM-MONGeh?! :D

They seem to be made of strong stuff, and titfers off to them for how well they've done. But they've built their success on long-ball football and frankly I fancy our chances more against that than those clever bastards who "pass" and "move" around us.

Ugly home goal off someone's dick in the 15th minute, 80 minutes of panic thereafter, Millwall goal disallowed, hold on, Wheavers clean sheet, Sweet Caroline, level on points with Reading (who lose at Fulham) and four clear of Barnsley (who scab a draw at Ipswich), hope.
Ha. Well I think I'm more worried about Saturday than tomorrow. Obviously on form, paper, logically all those things Millwall should absolutely batter us tomorrow. But that might take the pressure off. Who knows?

What I do know is that as bad and worried as we may feel now, win tomorrow and Saturday and we're probably a point or two from relaxing.

However, lose both and we can probably dust off the maps to Southend and Bradford.....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 pm
However, lose both and we can probably dust off the maps to Southend and Bradford.....
Those maps aren't dusty – we went there last season, you big silly.

If you want dusty maps: the three teams in Division Four's auto-promotion slots are Accrington, where we haven't played since 1926; Luton, where we haven't played since 1997; and Wycombe, where (unless I'm mistaken) we've never played. The play-off positions are currently held by Exeter (1992), Notts County (1995), Lincoln (1993) and Coventry (last January), with Mansfield (1993), Swindon (2016), Carlisle (1988) and Colchester (1987) hoping to join in.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 pm
After Derby, I was getting round to thinking... would it not be worth a punt to at least have him on the bench, in the interests of having *something* new/different up front to make the opposition take a second glance?

But as Iles via DSB states, it won't be happening... against Millwall, at any rate. He wasn't on the team sheet for the U23's draw last Thursday, so presuming he was injured before that one? Meaning he wasn't an option for Derby (that's *if* PP had been contemplating naming him in the 18).

Whatever happens over the next four games, I envisage a 3-3-4 being rolled out against Forest, with Obasi, Alf and Zach scoring a brace apiece in a 9-1* win, while Wilbrahimovic wraps up his hat trick in the 93rd minute, breaking down in tears as he questions whether it was the right decision to sign a pre-contract agreement with PSG after all.

*Beevers fluffs a simple clearance in the 3rd minute to let them in. I am a realist, after all.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Tomorrow will be a big ask, but i'm predicting a nil nil boreathon whih will do little to ease the nerves. This is going down to the last day, having to beat Forest or do better than Barnsley/Burton/Brum.

I asked Marc Iles about Obasi yesterday. Groin strain apparently.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:57 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Whatever happens over the next four games, I envisage a 3-3-4 being rolled out against Forest, with Obasi, Alf and Zach scoring a brace apiece in a 9-1* win, while Wilbrahimovic wraps up his hat trick in the 93rd minute, breaking down in tears as he questions whether it was the right decision to sign a pre-contract agreement with PSG after all.

*Beevers fluffs a simple clearance in the 3rd minute to let them in. I am a realist, after all.
Frankly my dear that's ludicrously unrealistic. Zach (and Tyler) will be "cup-tied".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Mmmmm, I wonder if Clough will be on the bench again? Maybe, maybe not. But if he is I'd like to put a tenner on (with appropriate odds of say, evens) that he gets less than ten minutes on the pitch.
Ladbrokes have refused the bet though.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:56 pm

All good things must come to an end, like Millwall's unbeaten run. 1-0 Bolton

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 pm

We have a history of ending people's winless runs, not their winning runs. Saying that, I'm going to miss this game and we apparently play better when I'm not there - thus I'll go 2-1 win. Hope, rather than conviction.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm

The thuggish, violent, loutish c*nts are on a right old roll. They'll come here and take the game to us - we'll be powerless to withstand for long. 3-0 to them, I think. I hate these horrible c*nts with a passion that knows no bounds.

PS, With the exception of Danny Baker. He's my favourite broadcaster :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Never let it be said Bruce holds a grudge! :lol:

1-0 win tomorrow. Alf converts the only chance we create. Another nervous 96 minutes ensues
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Can't see us winning a single game now, just more long balls to ALF. If Obasi is injured can't we try wheater up front, he's obviously not a natural forward but he'll win more headers than he loses, and that might be enough to create some chances.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 am

Sticking Wheater up front would be admitting defeat. I like Wheats, he's a good lad, but I can't imagine much worse than having him trundling about aimlessly in the final third for 90 minutes. I'd rather they took one of the lads from the reserves than stuck him up top.

One of the reasons we go long is that the midfield are bottling it. The lads at the back get the ball and our midfielders go and stand behind an opposition player to make sure nobody passes to them. They don't want the ball. For all his faults, the only mid I see demanding the ball is Derik. If some of the lads in the middle of the park stood up and asked for it to feet, showed themselves as options, we might see less of the front to back stuff. We're a team with no belief in our ability to play with the ball. One reason to play Clough is that he will always ask for the ball and try to play. Whether you rate him or not, he's not shy of getting on the ball and trying to make things happen.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:57 pm
palindromeofbolton wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Frankly my dear that's ludicrously unrealistic. Zach (and Tyler) will be "cup-tied".
Oh Gawd, that's right. In that case, Howard replaces a concussed Alnwick midway through the second half but, having taken Kenny's motivational missives about playing for a new contract to heart, insists on playing in a CF role in order to realise the 3-3-4 PP had been dreaming of all season. He goes on to score in the 71st and 88th, while also setting up Obassi who lands one of his with a full volley from the centre circle five minutes from time.

Is my premonition watertight now? :shock:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:12 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:43 pm
The thuggish, violent, loutish c*nts are on a right old roll. They'll come here and take the game to us - we'll be powerless to withstand for long. 3-0 to them, I think. I hate these horrible c*nts with a passion that knows no bounds.

PS, With the exception of Danny Baker. He's my favourite broadcaster :)
Is there a story here?? There must be a story........ :grin: :lol:
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.