Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1655
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Here it is, the first game of the 2018/19 Championship season at the Hawthorns against newly relegated West Bromwich Albion.

It has been a long summer after 2017/18 culminated in one of the most emotional and exciting games in the history of our great club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ykY03lFzM

If there was one thought most fans agreed on after that game, it was that we had some good fortune to stay up and needed to add more quality to improve in 2018/19. Parky clearly agreed and chose not to retain the majority of the squad who were out of contract, with the stated intention of aiming to improve on each one who had left. At this moment there are signs at least on paper that we are achieving that. Wildschut, Oztumer, Owlkowski, Donaldson look better than Morais, Chris Taylor, Flanagan and Wilbraham. Magennis, Wilson, Hobbs and Lowe look solid additions. Sammi Ameobi was retained amid strong interest from other Championship sides. We still need a reserve goalkeeper, more strength at left back and in cetnre midfield, but the signs are encouraging.

West Brom and rookie manager Darren Moore are in the usual tricky situation for relegated sides of highly paid players who are unsettled, and trying to integrate new signings whilst mounting the promotion challenge that their fans expect. At this moment, established Premiership performers Salamon Rondon, Jay Rodriguez, Craig Dawson, Ahmed Hegazi, Nacer Chadli and Matt Phillips all remain despite strong interest from elsehwere. Goalkeeper Ben Foster has left for Watford, whilst centre half Johnny Evans has left for Leicester. Goalkeepers Sam Johnstone (ManU), Jonathan Bond (Reading), centre half Kyle Bartley (Swansea), full backs Connor Townsend (Scunthorpe), Tom James (Yeovil), winger Harvey Barnes (Leicester) have all arrived.

In our last pre-season game at Peterborough it appeared that Parky is taking an attacking approach to this season with a 4-2-3-1 of;

------------------------Alnwick----------------------
Owlkowski-----Wheater-----Beevers----Taylor
-------------Lowe----------------Vela---------------
-----Ameobi-----------ALF-------Wildschut------
----------------------Donaldson---------------------

If we approach the WBA game in the same way it certainly won't be boring. We look vulnerable through centre midfield but also have creativity, pace and goals in the team. Could be a 5-1 home win, but as one of the 2000+ traveling contingent I am choosing hope over fear and going for a spectacular WBA 2 Bolton 4!! COYW.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37953
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:14 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:33 pm
Here it is, the first game of the 2018/19 Championship season at the Hawthorns against newly relegated West Bromwich Albion. It has been a long summer after 2017/18 culminated in one of the most emotional and exciting games in the history of our great club.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ykY03lFzM
Could you repeat that please..? :oyea:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

GhostoftheBok
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:33 pm

No idea how this one with turn out. I just hope we have a go and it's a decent match. I think they're beatable, but they finished last season well with Moore. Obviously expecting a 4-0 win, but will settle for 3-0.

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8170
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:07 pm

Cant see anything other than a pasting. Be nice to win more than once away this season but this is a big ask.

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 653
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:14 pm
Location: London

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:09 am

Can't see anything but a 4-0 defeat - but that doesn't mean doom and gloom. It is a very very difficult opening day fixture, and I am putting it in the same bracket as Wolves away last season. A West Midlands trip to be enjoyed without much expectation.

If they put in a shift though, and come out with anything better than a toning, I will be pleased.
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6890
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Bonus game this one. Expecting nowt at any of the relegated sides this year.

Could be a gubbing but irrational pre season optimism says we could just as easily nick it!

0-3 loss or 1-0 win
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25399
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:01 pm
Bonus game this one. Expecting nowt at any of the relegated sides this year.

Could be a gubbing but irrational pre season optimism says we could just as easily nick it!

0-3 loss or 1-0 win
Aye, think its one of those where we might just catch them at the right time. Either that or they absolutely murder us.

I'd be happier if we were a little more settled and prepared but there you go.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3902
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: Swashbucklin in Brooklyn

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:01 pm

A cagey 1-1 draw for me. Let's be honest, anything better than 2 points from the first 11 matches is an improvement!
Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life.

User avatar
mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:12 am
Location: Shivering in the Shaky Isles Godzone NZ

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by mullayo » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:01 pm
Bonus game this one. Expecting nowt at any of the relegated sides this year.

Could be a gubbing but irrational pre season optimism says we could just as easily nick it!

0-3 loss or 1-0 win

Given they've had 5 pre-season games and averaged 3 goals per, I think this is pretty realistic.
The difference this year is our bench offers a lot more firepower and more flexibility tactically too.
I hope Parky isn't afraid to change gears when things aren't working.
What could've happened; did.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37953
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Defining element here might be their familiarity with each other as a side (five wins says they're pretty familiar) against a collection of "Hi, my name is xxxxxx "on matchday in our dressing room. Our lads overall have hardly had very much time together as yet. That said let's start with the hope that what we have is a lot better than last season in the main. A miracle last minute salvo was all we had between us and Division One, so onwards and upwards.. :oyea:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12957
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:56 pm

We'll make a fist of it, but they've got more than us, so they'll pick us apart

2-0
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

User avatar
mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:12 am
Location: Shivering in the Shaky Isles Godzone NZ

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:15 am

Predicted West Brom XI (4-4-2):

----------------Johnstone---------------------
Gibbs------- Dawson-----Bartley------Nyom
Phillips---Morrison----Livermore -----Brunt
-------Robson-Kanu------- Rodriguez------


----------------------------------VS-------------------------------

--------------------Alnwick----------------
Olkowski----Wheater-----Beevers----Taylor
-------------Lowe----------Murphy-----------
-----Ameobi--------Vela-------Wildschut------
------------------Magennis---------------------
What could've happened; did.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 37953
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:27 am

Not sure he'll drop Alf, he scores goals. Will be interesting to see though. If we got M essi today, I doubt we'd throw him straight in tomorrow.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:12 am
Location: Shivering in the Shaky Isles Godzone NZ

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Rejoice I have found a ray of hope.
Here is our last season lineup and the reason we only got 2 points in 11 games.

--------------------Howard----------------
Darby--Dervite---Wheater---Beevers--Taylor
---------Vela---------Culen--------Karacan------
-------------Madine---------Alf-----------

Who'd win versus today's squad?

--------------------Alnwick----------------
Olkowski----Wheater-----Beevers----Taylor
-------------Lowe----------Murphy-----------
-----Ameobi--------Vela-------Wildschut------
------------------Magennis---------------------
What could've happened; did.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19772
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:39 pm

Christ, this is tomorrow isn't it?

I'm not ready.

We'll get humped. Difference between our slightly upgraded League 1 team and their slightly downgraded Prem team is going to be too much. Concede early and we'll get pasted. Keep it tight and they might only nick it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25399
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:47 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:39 pm
Christ, this is tomorrow isn't it?

I'm not ready.

We'll get humped. Difference between our slightly upgraded League 1 team and their slightly downgraded Prem team is going to be too much. Concede early and we'll get pasted. Keep it tight and they might only nick it.
We've signed a lot of players and god knows how it will work out in the long run.

And yes, West Brom are streets ahead of us (and a lot of the division) quality wise.

But are we "a slightly upgraded league one team"? I think last year we were that. Now we've signed players in the main with championship or higher experience and pedigrees.

I'm not talking the "Wheater has played in the premiership" nonsense argument. But people from the top flight in Germany, players with over 100 games at this level in recent times etc....

Sure Magennis looks a classic league one player but even he's played in a major international tournament, and scored, against Germany.

We'll see how it all goes and I'm far from thinking we'll be fine. But the pedigree is higher than it has been for a while, on paper at least.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19772
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Ok. We're a slightly upgraded, slightly upgraded League 1 team :D.

But point taken. I actually think we'll be ok if we get the bodies in we all know we need. We've got a proper manager who I really rate and that gets you a hell of a long way. I worry about goals, and currently depth, but the rest of the team looks decent.

Not enough for the teams at the top though, and I expect West Brom to be right up there.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25399
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:05 pm
Ok. We're a slightly upgraded, slightly upgraded League 1 team :D.

But point taken. I actually think we'll be ok if we get the bodies in we all know we need. We've got a proper manager who I really rate and that gets you a hell of a long way. I worry about goals, and currently depth, but the rest of the team looks decent.

Not enough for the teams at the top though, and I expect West Brom to be right up there.
I worry about most things. Goals, midfield (we looked lost without Henry and I'm unconvinced he's been replaced), back four lack of pace.

The division is stronger this year. Once again I'm struggling to see 3 we'll finish above but hopeful we might just about manage it once again.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1655
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:05 pm
Ok. We're a slightly upgraded, slightly upgraded League 1 team :D.

But point taken. I actually think we'll be ok if we get the bodies in we all know we need. We've got a proper manager who I really rate and that gets you a hell of a long way. I worry about goals, and currently depth, but the rest of the team looks decent.

Not enough for the teams at the top though, and I expect West Brom to be right up there.
I worry about most things. Goals, midfield (we looked lost without Henry and I'm unconvinced he's been replaced), back four lack of pace.

The division is stronger this year. Once again I'm struggling to see 3 we'll finish above but hopeful we might just about manage it once again.
I worry about us, and our midfield also, but I don't think the league is stronger this year. Villa, QPR, Norwich, Birmnigham, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City are all weaker right now imho. I don't think the three who came down will be as strong as the three that went up. The three that came up might well be more competitive than the three that went down, so it might well need more points and more quality to stay out of the bottom three. I think we are much better, and will add a few more, and will be in the 14th-18th range. We will need some luck tomorrow though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25399
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:05 pm
Ok. We're a slightly upgraded, slightly upgraded League 1 team :D.

But point taken. I actually think we'll be ok if we get the bodies in we all know we need. We've got a proper manager who I really rate and that gets you a hell of a long way. I worry about goals, and currently depth, but the rest of the team looks decent.

Not enough for the teams at the top though, and I expect West Brom to be right up there.
I worry about most things. Goals, midfield (we looked lost without Henry and I'm unconvinced he's been replaced), back four lack of pace.

The division is stronger this year. Once again I'm struggling to see 3 we'll finish above but hopeful we might just about manage it once again.
I worry about us, and our midfield also, but I don't think the league is stronger this year. Villa, QPR, Norwich, Birmnigham, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City are all weaker right now imho. I don't think the three who came down will be as strong as the three that went up. The three that came up might well be more competitive than the three that went down, so it might well need more points and more quality to stay out of the bottom three. I think we are much better, and will add a few more, and will be in the 14th-18th range. We will need some luck tomorrow though.
Those clubs are definitely weaker. But even so I don't see us finishing above many of them. QPR possibly.

The relevant bit for us is that last year you had basket case Sunderland, Burton and Barnsley. Burton and Barnsley had roughly the same budget we did, but arguably less of a draw for players. This year you have Wigan and Blackburn in their place who are far more competitive with us.

Rotherham an unknown quantity but finish below them and it is inevitable.

Its a tougher league to stay up in. I hope we are better than last season and I have little doubt we eventually will be once things click into place. But its relative. I think we'll need to be better simply to be where we were. And that was very, very close.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest