Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:42 pm
What a result. Got to say Parky got the tactics right. They were way to physical for us if he didn't start all those DMs.
I've got to say Gary O'Neill still got it - enough for a closeout sub anyway. Perfect sub in that pressure cooker, just chased and positioned well and calmed everyone down.

Man of the match: Lowe

Ratings
8 AlnwicK -not much to do but looked very composed. Goal was unstoppable. One of our top 5 or 6 players
9 Olki. Close for MoM. Classy, composed and good passer as well. One of our best players.
7 Wheater: Made a couple of crucial challenges -wasn't really tested one-on-one as our deep lying formation cluttered the box. Lucky cause their strikers looked good.
7 Beevers same as above.
7 Taylor is limited and tiny but tries hard and is defensive first and foremost which we needed today. Had a torrid time but their ball carriers are really strong.
9 Lowe. Must have had 10 intercepts. The deep formation suits him just sits in the crowd and lunges out to intercept
7 Murphy largely anonymous but competent enough and chased. His size we need.
8 Vela ran all day. That's his thing and we need it as we're undersized and under-powered.
8 Sameobi, most ball-skilled player on the park. Injury is a big worry.
8 Buckley was there to do a job which was run about on D which he did. Starting Wildschut would have been disastrous until they wear down.
7 Magennis got the goal and competed for bunch of headers and won most of them.Not the most skilled but god knows we need his muscle.

Subs
7 Noone deserved to be subbed in. He ran about and harried so did a good job. Not the best option taker and not|SAmeobi level.
8 Gary O'Neil. Filled the gaps. glue guy. His lack of power was fine against a tiring side. More constructive than just a destroyer type. I was underwhelmed by his signing but he has bench value as a closer.
7 Wildschut came on and looked a little lost until he tucked the goal away. Had one great dribble so potential is still there.

Them. They have six or seven players that would walk into our starting lineup. Uniformly strong and powerful looked like an Argentinian rugby team. They dominated possession and passed it about but we had the better chances and won more headers once we got over our fear.
Who did those player ratings? Wheater on a 7? He was the best player on the park. Buckley on an 8 when he was at fault for the goal? If that's from the Bolton News Iles wants shooting.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:42 pm

That was an excellent team performance and the work rate was exceptional. WBA will play much, much better than that this season; but we looked like a unit.

Wheater was MOM for me, but there were a few who ran him close. Lowe was immense.

Every new signing looked the part today and that's huge. They're all team players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:42 pm
That was an excellent team performance and the work rate was exceptional. WBA will play much, much better than that this season; but we looked like a unit.

Wheater was MOM for me, but there were a few who ran him close. Lowe was immense.

Every new signing looked the part today and that's huge. They're all team players.
Agree with this and your post above. No idea what Mullayo watched (I do rather unkindly wonder if he’s on some sort of mind altering drugs and if he is I want some of the same) but we out muscled a ‘premiership side’ today. Classic away performance. But set pieces we looked very dangerous. And our first goal a superb move.

West Brom created nowt. But for a wonder goal they offered fck all. They need to sign 4/5 ‘championship players’ because they looked like they were our for a stroll. Won’t trouble top few unless they get some proper experience at this level in. Frankly today was hard to see them in the top 6. Way way off the top few from last season.

We were absolutely excellent and deserved very inch of it. Buckley our weak link - he works hard but does little. And was that tired after 30 minutes I thought he might pass out.

Lowe and Murphy were both superb. Lowe in particular. Wheater and Beevers also top draw. Anyone who doesn’t think they play together week in week out if fit doesn’t know football.

Magennis is quick. He’s no big lump, he’s mobile. And works so damn hard. He’s probably paid his fee back already.

Pawel a true hero in the makin potentially. Taylor was excellent at left back aside from the odd moment where he tucked too far inside.

Oh and O’Neil added something when he came on.

On that performance you can see why Henry isn’t coming back.

Fancied us for a surprise point today. Did even better.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:21 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Wheater and Beevers also top draw. Anyone who doesn’t think they play together week in week out if fit doesn’t know football.
I'm one of those. It's not that I think they can't play together, I just think they have similar weaknesses and they will find themselves exposed if we ever try to step up. Away from home, like today, not much of an issue. At home, if we want to push up, the lack of pace is a major issue.

Not a night for the critical stuff, that'll keep. Tonight is about having a drink and basking in that result.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Gutted at missing the first two games this season due to holiday. Landed at innsbruck airport at 4.40pm and straight on the beeb website to read "West Brom in search of a winner" - 2 minutes later and I'm punching the air! Up yours BBC!

Enjoyed a relaxing read through the match thread afterwards. Great stuff and a superb 3 points.

Oh, & get well soon Mrs Tango!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Aye, saw that, headline to the live text was something like "can West Brom find a winner?". Wankers.

Still hasn't sunk in. Maybe we're like Burnley last year who after not being able to buy an away win were suddenly incredible.

Let's just hope it doesn't tempt our esteemed chairman into thinking we've already got enough!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 pm
Gutted at missing the first two games this season due to holiday. Landed at innsbruck airport at 4.40pm and straight on the beeb website to read "West Brom in search of a winner" - 2 minutes later and I'm punching the air! Up yours BBC!
Enjoyed a relaxing read through the match thread afterwards. Great stuff and a superb 3 points.

Cheers Harry. She's had two knee ops in the last 18 months and the fall really shook her up. Seems fine now and we kindly didn't score whilst I was off air. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:54 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 pm

If we win the next one. Don't come back from holiday. The words everyone wants to hear.
Oh, & get well soon Mrs Tango! X2
Last edited by mullayo on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 am

West Brom fans aren't very impressed. All of a sudden they want to sell everyone.
Could be some more bargains about.
They've got good players but we just turtled on defence and they couldn't draw us out of our shell.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:27 am

Alright, I've had a sleep and it's technically "tomorrow." Some of the bad/worrying stuff from the game today.

Alnwick still looks iffy with balls into the box.
Olkowski doesn't seem to fancy headers.
Wheater and Beevers dropped very, very deep at times to avoid having to deal with Rodriguez running in behind them and it pulled the entire team back. That was fine in this game, but in other matches we will want to push forward and it'll likely mean gaps in the lines.
Taylor did very well, but he was again exposed for pace a few times and that remains a worry.
Murphy doesn't look fully fit yet. That may be his preseason, or may be the player. Hard to say.
Lowe gets through so much work that I'm worried we may have to pay him as two players, thus ruining our budgets.
Vela still isn't making goal-scoring runs. That may change at home, who knows.
Ameobi took a knock and Noone, though he was okay, still can't play football if anyone is within 6 yards of him.
Buckley works hard, but just doesn't have the engine to do it for one half, never mind two.
Magennis is a god who will be sold for 6mil in January and then we'll have to bring in some shit, lower league player like Josh Magennis.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:19 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:27 am
Alright, I've had a sleep and it's technically "tomorrow." Some of the bad/worrying stuff from the game today.
Awesome analysis to address.

Alnwick (pronounced Annick apparently) still looks iffy with balls into the box - possibly because Wheevers have retreated so far he doesn't know his zone. Also he ain't the tallest or thickest of keepers.

Olkowski doesn't seem to fancy headers. - small potatoes for me because he's busy, defensively about and is classy on the ball and has vision and passing ability.

Wheeevers dropped very, very deep at times to avoid having to deal with Rodriguez running in behind them and it pulled the entire team back. That was fine in this game, but in other matches we will want to push forward and it'll likely mean gaps in the lines - agree. West Brom didn't know how to break down the turtle - just passed it around the outside or passed it back to Brunt trying to draw us out.

Taylor did very well, but he was again exposed for pace a few times and that remains a worry - I think "Taylor Did Very Well" will be his autobiography title. An overachieving tryhard you feel bad blaming.

Murphy doesn't look fully fit yet. That may be his preseason, or may be the player. Hard to say - Agree again. He's not the most naturally athletic but I pray and hope his current half-a-step slowness is because he's only had two pre-season games and has been training with the under 23s - which was a bit rank really.

Lowe gets through so much work that I'm worried we may have to pay him as two players, thus ruining our budgets - Lowe surprised me he broke up so many attacks. I wasn't expecting so much out of him but maybe the compact nature of our D suited him this week.

Vela still isn't making goal-scoring runs. That may change at home, who knows - Vela runs. Like Forest Gump does. He's one of the only ones who doesn't need subbing. That's his true value. Only allowed 3 and need them all.

Ameobi took a knock and Noone, though he was okay, still can't play football if anyone is within 6 yards of him - agree wholeheartedly with this. Ameobi has talent. Noone has energy. Which often goes haring off in the wrong direction.

Buckley works hard, but just doesn't have the engine to do it for one half, never mind two - Buckley is Taylor's older brother. He made one gut busting support run and surprised me with his pace. Rest of the time he played at half that, Wildschut averages 52 mins per career appearance and Buckley's role is to play D and simply to set the table for Wildchild to snaffle a winner - Worked at West Brom.

Magennis is a god who will be sold for 6mil in January and then we'll have to bring in some shit, lower league player like Josh Magennis. - You think he was that good? He had a thankless task to be sure patrolling the whole attacking half of the field and competing physically with the big bullies but that's a TS job. Suppose I'm just used to SKD. I mean I see why they played him, none of the others could have done as well but... So far I only have him worth a million. Of course if he gets to 10 goals, you'll be spot on.
I like him sure. He's a rare beast, a 30-year-old with upside.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:31 am

Some further thoughts from the Smethwick End:

This was a typical BWFC away performance under Parky. Cautious, disciplined, men behind the ball, slow the game down, contain the opposition. The kind that was guaranteed to end in a 2-0 defeat last season. The difference with this one was better in midfield so we didn't just give it straight back when we won it, and it appeared a bit more confidence and belief, perhaps signs of a decent pre-season. And possibly the ineptness of WBA.

Olkowski based on the two games I have seen him is a Premiership right back. Quick, tenacious tackler, awesome in the air, carries it well, can see a pass. If he can stay consistent for the whole season, it will be one of the best pieces of transfer business ever.

Defending set pieces. Last season we struggled with this without Madine. Olkowski and Magennis however are really important additions from this perspective. They both want to attack the ball and can both move quickly to get to the ball. It means Wheavers can be their static selves and we look really solid. This will be really important going forward I feel.

Buckley had a good game. Did all the work defensively and looked bright and inventive when he had it. Everytime he showed promise last season he either got injured or had a poor game the next game. I hope he can string some consistent performances together because I think he can be a good player.

The midfield is vastly improved. Lowe is a great addition. We keep the ball better, and Lowe is a more mobile version of Henry. Maybe we don't need him back.

Wheavers played well. They cut out dangerous crosses at the front post, something imho they often failed to do last season. Perhaps the fact they weren't under that much pressure due to us keeping the ball better helped.

Magennis is the perfect CF for a Parky team. And Parky might be the perfect manager for Magennis. He is strong, mobile, works hard and fights for every ball that comes up to him. Great debut and it took all of 20 minutes for him to acquire his "Super Josh Mcginlay", I mean Magennis, song.

WBA were poor. It was like a team of 11 decent footballers turning up on the morning of the game and just figuring it out on the pitch. Occasionally some good individual play, but no cohesion, no spirit. They tried to play through us but at a really slow pace. And they did us a big favour going 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. I think Morrison playing in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-5-1 would have been a real test for our midfield.
Moore has a difficult job there.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:39 am

Oh & get well soon Mrs Tango...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:31 am
Some further thoughts from the Smethwick End:

This was a typical BWFC away performance under Parky. Cautious, disciplined, men behind the ball, slow the game down, contain the opposition. The kind that was guaranteed to end in a 2-0 defeat last season. The difference with this one was better in midfield so we didn't just give it straight back when we won it, and it appeared a bit more confidence and belief, perhaps signs of a decent pre-season. And possibly the ineptness of WBA.

Olkowski based on the two games I have seen him is a Premiership right back. Quick, tenacious tackler, awesome in the air, carries it well, can see a pass. If he can stay consistent for the whole season, it will be one of the best pieces of transfer business ever.

Defending set pieces. Last season we struggled with this without Madine. Olkowski and Magennis however are really important additions from this perspective. They both want to attack the ball and can both move quickly to get to the ball. It means Wheavers can be their static selves and we look really solid. This will be really important going forward I feel.

Buckley had a good game. Did all the work defensively and looked bright and inventive when he had it. Everytime he showed promise last season he either got injured or had a poor game the next game. I hope he can string some consistent performances together because I think he can be a good player.

The midfield is vastly improved. Lowe is a great addition. We keep the ball better, and Lowe is a more mobile version of Henry. Maybe we don't need him back.

Wheavers played well. They cut out dangerous crosses at the front post, something imho they often failed to do last season. Perhaps the fact they weren't under that much pressure due to us keeping the ball better helped.

Magennis is the perfect CF for a Parky team. And Parky might be the perfect manager for Magennis. He is strong, mobile, works hard and fights for every ball that comes up to him. Great debut and it took all of 20 minutes for him to acquire his "Super Josh Mcginlay", I mean Magennis, song.

WBA were poor. It was like a team of 11 decent footballers turning up on the morning of the game and just figuring it out on the pitch. Occasionally some good individual play, but no cohesion, no spirit. They tried to play through us but at a really slow pace. And they did us a big favour going 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. I think Morrison playing in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-5-1 would have been a real test for our midfield.
Moore has a difficult job there.
Anyone who didn’t go - this is the perfect write up.

It helps counter the drug induced Mullayo ramblings and the nonsense that Olkowski doesn’t like headers (he won about 3 in the first 15 alone) :wink:

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am

I'm still in pleasant shock, chuffed to bits :)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 am
the nonsense that Olkowski doesn’t like headers (he won about 3 in the first 15 alone) :wink:
He also pulled out of 2 50/50s in the air. Did the same in a friendly. It might just be a case of getting used to the style of football compared to the German top flight and it was a case of looking for stuff to be picky about when he played so well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 am

mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:19 am
You think he was that good?
No, I was kidding. It was tricky to be critical of any of the new players and it was easier to take the piss on Magennis and Lowe, especially given how high everyone was after the match.

Magennis was what we all hoped he might be in this team, which was a focal point who would chase a stick someone threw for their dog. He took his chance and I'm delighted for him. Seems like he has a top attitude.

All the new players were above where I expected them to be in the first game. They were where I hoped they might be by January.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm

twilight wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am
I'm still in pleasant shock, chuffed to bits :)
This, what a win - I'm absolutely buzzing....I would have settled for a point though

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:34 pm

What a nice touch for Stelios to travel down and be with the B olton Fans at West Brom. Bolton still has a big pull on its past heroes. http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... with-fans/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Interesting to hear from Parky that Murphy was training with Leeds U23s side and didn't get a proper preseason. Gives me real hope for that player, now. Will look to see him kick on when he's fully fit.