Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

In here you'll find all the moaning, groaning and excitement that comes with following a live game.

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Excitement, Hope, Fear, Joy, Pain; Aiming for Moore; WBA v BWFC 4/8/18 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:29 pm
Interesting to hear from Parky that Murphy was training with Leeds U23s side and didn't get a proper preseason. Gives me real hope for that player, now. Will look to see him kick on when he's fully fit.
He looked really good until he tired I thought. Very good on the ball. Hasn’t had a proper pre season and it showed. However been here a day yet you wouldn’t know it. Slotted right in.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

What I liked was the balance in the team. It allowed the midfield 3 to get through so much work too.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Crewe background hasn't he? Never a bad sign.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:07 pm
He looked really good until he tired I thought. Very good on the ball. Hasn’t had a proper pre season and it showed. However been here a day yet you wouldn’t know it. Slotted right in.
I agree, he looked just the ticket. Good touch, forward passing and used his body well. I was worried about him physically in this league, as he was dead on his feet in the second half. However, with PP saying that's due to his preseason I'm excited by him now.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:17 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:50 pm
And back just in time for them to score an equaliser. :evil: Wife's okay but in pain and now I'm in pain. We were doing so well up to this. Buckley clears, they come again and.....1-1 at the break.
Glad she's okay - I did something similar three weeks ago and spent a week in the hospital with a concussion and irregular heart beat. Came home with a pacemaker and still get dizzy but that might be today's win. :pissed:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 am

Sorry, Tango, I hadn't read the whole thread and missed the part where you said your wife was feeling unwell. Best wishes on a speedy recovery for her.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:56 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 am
Sorry, Tango, I hadn't read the whole thread and missed the part where you said your wife was feeling unwell. Best wishes on a speedy recovery for her.
Cheers Ghost, and all for the good wishes. She's fine now but at 74 a heavy fall and the shock take a bit more getting over than when younger. She tripped up a step into the kitchen and went full length across the penalty area. All okay now. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:47 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm
Who did those player ratings? Wheater on a 7? He was the best player on the park. Buckley on an 8 when he was at fault for the goal? If that's from the Bolton News Iles wants shooting.
At fault for the goal? Do explain? 30 yards out and showed his man inside into a packed midfield. Exactly what he's supposed to do. :|
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:54 am

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:47 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm
Who did those player ratings? Wheater on a 7? He was the best player on the park. Buckley on an 8 when he was at fault for the goal? If that's from the Bolton News Iles wants shooting.
At fault for the goal? Do explain? 30 yards out and showed his man inside into a packed midfield. Exactly what he's supposed to do. :|
It was a wonder strike but Buckley rather half heartedly tracked his run then stopped and left him in a lot of space. In fairness I think by that point Murphy had tired so no pressure was applied to the ball.

If there is any negative from Saturday it was Buckley's performance. He sure worked hard, really hard. But he's unfit that lad. Badly unfit.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 am

Not to mention he showed him onto his weaker foot. When somebody scores, there doesn't have to be anybody at fault. He did everything that he was supposed to. Leave it upto the gods then.

A fantastic goal and not one you can pin on Buckley

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:57 am
Not to mention he showed him onto his weaker foot. When somebody scores, there doesn't have to be anybody at fault. He did everything that he was supposed to. Leave it upto the gods then.

Wouldn't say he was "at fault" but there was no pressure on the ball. First 10/15 minutes that doesn't happen. Lack of fitness for Murphy (understandable) and Buckley (why?) contributed to it IMHO. I'm not convinced it was unavoidable. You see strikes from 25/30 yards where pressure is applied that fly in. They are the unavoidable ones. That Barnes shot was superb, and its nitpicking to criticise. But still I bet Parky looks at it and says to Buckley and Murphy - that shouldn't happen.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:05 pm

Aye, anyone looking at that and pointing fingers is being very harsh. Absolute worldy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 pm
boltonboris wrote:

Wouldn't say he was "at fault" but there was no pressure on the ball. First 10/15 minutes that doesn't happen. Lack of fitness for Murphy (understandable) and Buckley (why?) contributed to it IMHO. I'm not convinced it was unavoidable. You see strikes from 25/30 yards where pressure is applied that fly in. They are the unavoidable ones. That Barnes shot was superb, and its nitpicking to criticise. But still I bet Parky looks at it and says to Buckley and Murphy - that shouldn't happen.
I bet if he went on the outside of him, crossed it with his strong foot and they scored, he'd be getting dragged into his office. You've played right? You know that whilst everyone should take responsibility, you absolutely do push players into others players areas int he hope they sort them out. He's done what he's coached to do. 30 yards out on his bad foot, I'd be saying "f*ckin go on lad, send that into the stands" which he does 19 times out of 20

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:40 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 pm
boltonboris wrote:

I bet if he went on the outside of him, crossed it with his strong foot and they scored, he'd be getting dragged into his office. You've played right? You know that whilst everyone should take responsibility, you absolutely do push players into others players areas int he hope they sort them out. He's done what he's coached to do. 30 yards out on his bad foot, I'd be saying "f*ckin go on lad, send that into the stands" which he does 19 times out of 20
If he'd gone on the outside Taylor would have been picking him up. He passed him onto Buckley as Barnes cut inside. Buckley was there but just let him get a yard or two ahead of him.

Watch it again - stop it at a few points. Buckley doesn't deliberately leave him in space. He just doesn't do enough initially then doesn't have the legs to get there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:59 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:19 am

Magennis is a god who will be sold for 6mil in January and then we'll have to bring in some shit, lower league player like Josh Magennis. - You think he was that good? He had a thankless task to be sure patrolling the whole attacking half of the field and competing physically with the big bullies but that's a TS job. Suppose I'm just used to SKD. I mean I see why they played him, none of the others could have done as well but... So far I only have him worth a million. Of course if he gets to 10 goals, you'll be spot on.
I like him sure. He's a rare beast, a 30-year-old with upside.
Magennis is 27. If he can play like that every week or thereabouts then he'll be better than Madine. Simple as. He has pace, so you can hit the ball over the top and he's a threat. His pace was a surprise. If we supply him with crosses I think he'll head goals in. Suspect his finishing with feet will be sub par but he cost £200,000.

I was quite surprised how quickly he covered ground on Saturday.

But to me its clear he now knows what he is, won't overcomplicate it and could become a real hero here if he repeats Saturday's efforts throughout the season.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:26 pm

Another thought: Ameobi's cross for the first goal was awesome. Playing as an inverted winger with his biggest threat being coming inside on his left foot, he outpaced two defenders, put in a great cross with his weaker foot, all whilst trying to shake off a hip injury that ultimately forced him off. That is the first assist of that kind I can remember him providing. If he can do that kind of traditional winger stuff, get himself into the box more and score goals as he did in one of the pre-season games, as well as coming inside and shooting and crossing as he did last season, he is going to be a top player. I just hope his injury isn't serious.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:56 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 am
Cheers Ghost, and all for the good wishes. She's fine now but at 74 a heavy fall and the shock take a bit more getting over than when younger. She tripped up a step into the kitchen and went full length across the penalty area. All okay now. :wink:
Dangerous places kitchens. My fall was there too - but I just passed out landing flat on my back and getting a concussion. I'm 74 too but the coincidences stop there. Luckily I'm not married to Tango.... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:58 pm

I'm no fan of Buckley but to start calling him out for their goal is basically ridiculous. Let's give credit where it's due, eh? We're unlikely to see a better strike in this division all season. When we're leaving players on their own in the six yard box, and we will, that's the time to start calling people out.

Was Ameobi's cross for the first the fault of two Baggies' defenders?
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:00 pm

On Buckley, I just don't agree with the "he did all he was supposed to" bit. Taylor handed the young lad off so he could track the overlap, having already closed the space down when he went for the cross, and thus there was no outside run for Barnes to make. The options were a ball to the overlap or coming inside and Buckley was flat-footed. Barnes steamed past him and Buckley puts him under no pressure.

It was a worldy, absolutely. Buckley would usually get away with it, no question. But in this league, against the "top" sides, it's moments like that that really make a difference. He's got to at least get near the lad. Will has yards on him when he starts the run but his body position is all wrong and he runs away from the player (to the 18 yard box) and not with him (towards the space).

I get that that might sound harsh after we've won, but I hope PP is drilling that into the lads in training now. I agree with what Insane said about Buckley being knackered and maybe in the first 15 minutes he goes with Barnes there. Given the kid's record, you'd imagine Phil had spent the build-up to that game telling them not to let him have free efforts.

I'm not saying Buckley needs slating. It was one mistake and he worked hard, but the idea that anyone would give him an 8 when Wheater got a 7 was just odd to me. Ultimately, you can pick apart any goal for the errors made; but when you make a mistake for a goal you've got to hold your hands up and learn from it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:58 pm
I'm no fan of Buckley but to start calling him out for their goal is basically ridiculous. Let's give credit where it's due, eh? We're unlikely to see a better strike in this division all season. When we're leaving players on their own in the six yard box, and we will, that's the time to start calling people out.

Was Ameobi's cross for the first the fault of two Baggies' defenders?
I guess though Buckley who initially tried to track him then ran out of puff - and him scoring a worldy is one thing.

If Buckley does the same and the player drives into the space at goal and a scrappy goal results we'll have the same issue.

Point is he wasn't "to blame" for the goal, but definitely didn't track the run properly especially as he had a yard on Barnes at the start.

The more worrying thing for me is how tired he was before even half time.