Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:If this is a second interview then that would mean we'd have had to already approach their clubs in order to speak to them first time round. Which you'd think would mean, that we'd have heard before now who was on the list.

or maybe not - maybe all parties concerned are happy for interviews to take place without any public statements of who is involved - we don't know...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:56 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:How long is Wilder contracted to Northampton for? If we'd have to pay compo I'd look elsewhere. If Rotherham want him does that mean we can have Warnock?
I think I read, but might be mistaken, that Wilder is on a rolling contract and therefore cheaper compensation wise than a more traditional multi-year contract.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:57 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:How long is Wilder contracted to Northampton for? If we'd have to pay compo I'd look elsewhere. If Rotherham want him does that mean we can have Warnock?
Warnock was on Talksport the other day and he said he wanted to manage at Championship level. He sounded like he was staying at Rotherham but had other offers if that fell though.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:21 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Bwfci I think managerial vanity plays a part. They would all love to restore a famous old club to whatever they believe it's rightful place to be. Rotherham is at its absolute limit I'd say, there's a lot more potential here despite the shit we are in.
Wilder is no rookie either, he's managed a lot of games but isn't tarnished by failure like many of the older managers inevitably will be. He's on the up and could bring a freshness as well as his experience. I don't think we are likely to do any better.
*but I know feck all and was delighted we get coyle and lennon
Aye I'm at the same point. I know little about lower league managers but I'm not keen on someone like Cotterill who seems to be in trouble or controversy wherever he goes without ever producing sparkling results in the long run.

I also think Nolan/Reid is a disaster waiting to happen.

But beyond that I haven't a fecking clue who would be best and I had high hopes for Lennon, who was a big name after all. And that was a disaster.

I just found it odd that PT seemed to be saying that we should be getting a "top name" when we're going to be in league one with no money. Why would a big name come here? And beyond that, why would having someone with a name make them more likely to succeed than someone who has done well under similar circumstances that we will be faced with?
I meant 'quality names' not necessarily top names (Pellegrini, Mourinho etc !!) as per KA's numerous press conferences / interviews on Tuesday. I've no issue if its Wilder - it doesn't get my juices flowing personally at all, but he may be the man to turn things around, but even taking into account what he's done at Northampton I'm not sure he can be classed as a 'quality name' ? - I bet few had even heard of him until the last month or so.

From KA's 'quality' shortlist of 3 comment - as a long shot, I was secretly hoping for a Pearson, Monk, Moyes type 'shock' appointment, and would still like Phil Brown

But what do I know I was quite ecstatic (well by my standards !) when we got Lennon....!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:35 am

^ to be fair - Insano also said we should be expecting a manager with lots of experience and a "track record" (presumably a successful track record!)... it's not that much less odd to expect that "in league one with no money", is it?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:35 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Bwfci I think managerial vanity plays a part. They would all love to restore a famous old club to whatever they believe it's rightful place to be. Rotherham is at its absolute limit I'd say, there's a lot more potential here despite the shit we are in.
Wilder is no rookie either, he's managed a lot of games but isn't tarnished by failure like many of the older managers inevitably will be. He's on the up and could bring a freshness as well as his experience. I don't think we are likely to do any better.
*but I know feck all and was delighted we get coyle and lennon
Aye I'm at the same point. I know little about lower league managers but I'm not keen on someone like Cotterill who seems to be in trouble or controversy wherever he goes without ever producing sparkling results in the long run.

I also think Nolan/Reid is a disaster waiting to happen.

But beyond that I haven't a fecking clue who would be best and I had high hopes for Lennon, who was a big name after all. And that was a disaster.

I just found it odd that PT seemed to be saying that we should be getting a "top name" when we're going to be in league one with no money. Why would a big name come here? And beyond that, why would having someone with a name make them more likely to succeed than someone who has done well under similar circumstances that we will be faced with?
I meant 'quality names' not necessarily top names (Pellegrini, Mourinho etc !!) as per KA's numerous press conferences / interviews on Tuesday. I've no issue if its Wilder - it doesn't get my juices flowing personally at all, but he may be the man to turn things around, but even taking into account what he's done at Northampton I'm not sure he can be classed as a 'quality name' ? - I bet few had even heard of him until the last month or so.

From KA's 'quality' shortlist of 3 comment - as a long shot, I was secretly hoping for a Pearson, Monk, Moyes type 'shock' appointment, and would still like Phil Brown

But what do I know I was quite ecstatic (well by my standards !) when we got Lennon....!
Depends entirely on your definition of "quality name" doesn't it? I'm not sure why anyone would want a totally unproven manager in these circumstances like Monk.

Moyes seems almost as unlikely as Mourinho and beyond that, wouldn't guarantee anything, he's hardly well versed with this level of football in recent times.

Pearson would potentially be good but again, seems way outside where we're likely to be shooting right now. Bound to have better offers.

I'd be happy with anyone who has relevant (and fairly recent) experience of managing successfully along the sort of budgetary constraints we will have to endure. I know nowt about Wilder beyond what I've read but he at least ticks that box.

Any manager is a risk but for me we cannot be looking at names used to spending considerable money because they simply won't have that here.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:37 am

thebish wrote:^ to be fair - Insano also said we should be expecting a manager with lots of experience and a "track record" (presumably a successful track record!)... it's not that much less odd to expect that "in league one with no money", is it?
I didn't say expecting. I said that is what we need in an ideal world.

But I think we need to be looking at lower league managers rather than ones used to the premiership!

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Depends entirely on your definition of "quality name" doesn't it? I'm not sure why anyone would want a totally unproven manager in these circumstances like Monk.

Moyes seems almost as unlikely as Mourinho and beyond that, wouldn't guarantee anything, he's hardly well versed with this level of football in recent times.

Pearson would potentially be good but again, seems way outside where we're likely to be shooting right now. Bound to have better offers.

I'd be happy with anyone who has relevant (and fairly recent) experience of managing successfully along the sort of budgetary constraints we will have to endure. I know nowt about Wilder beyond what I've read but he at least ticks that box.

Any manager is a risk but for me we cannot be looking at names used to spending considerable money because they simply won't have that here.
Gene it is then....!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:^ to be fair - Insano also said we should be expecting a manager with lots of experience and a "track record" (presumably a successful track record!)... it's not that much less odd to expect that "in league one with no money", is it?
I didn't say expecting. I said that is what we need in an ideal world.

But I think we need to be looking at lower league managers rather than ones used to the premiership!

which - seems to be what we are doing! :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Any manager is a risk but for me we cannot be looking at names used to spending considerable money because they simply won't have that here.
Indeed. I'm sure Guardiola and Mourinho would be excellent (if despairing) coaches and produce wonderful opposition dossiers but they probably wouldn't succeed if they were asked to stick to players earning £4kpw or less. It's a ridiculous example but on the same scale as a Monk or Moyes.

What we need is someone who maximises resources, and makes players better or replaces them without remortgaging the stadium. Wilder ticks those boxes, although he's not alone.

Overall though, I'm still hoping we wait a wee while and see who else shakes out at the end of the season. Folks like Brown, Keith Hill, John Sheridan are all understandably busy at the moment, but if we sound them out in a month's time it might be a different answer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:11 pm

^^ Sheridan has a fairly good record it seems. Hill worries me because he's only ever been what you'd call successful at one club. Whilst he may have been hard done at Barnsley his essentially one club managerial career would ring alarm bells.

gizmothevoomer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by gizmothevoomer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:36 pm

My own Short list is made up of two magagers with experience and two I believe will prove to be good managers with the potential to manage at the top level given time.

Tony Mowbray
Nigel Adkins

Graham Alexander ( Unlikely to want to move as he has only just been appointed )
Justin Edinburgh

All are in League one currently so have experience of the division, there records suggest given a decent squad we should be in the region of the play offs at least.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:^^ Sheridan has a fairly good record it seems. Hill worries me because he's only ever been what you'd call successful at one club. Whilst he may have been hard done at Barnsley his essentially one club managerial career would ring alarm bells.
Whoever we get we surely have to forget this "magic wand" formula that we will win the league and bonce straight back into the Championship, being a reality. We can't pick and choose our saviours. A half-decent manager who actually wants to come here to restore a level of togetherness and desire amongst the players, get them playing decent football, bring the fans back in and get rid of the current listless attitude of defeat being a given is hat we need and should settle for. We're really at a point now where "Festina Lente" is the only sensible option.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:^^ Sheridan has a fairly good record it seems. Hill worries me because he's only ever been what you'd call successful at one club. Whilst he may have been hard done at Barnsley his essentially one club managerial career would ring alarm bells.
I'd be more worried if Hill had tried (and failed) at Barnsley then had success at Rochdale. More impressive that he took them up (after 40 years in the bottom tier) and established them in the Third, then went to Barnsley, then went back to Dale who were back in the bottom tier and again took them up and established them. I know what you mean - it would be more impressive if he'd done it at two different clubs - but we could do with the sort of guy who picks up bargains. Take Adam Le Fondre - signed for buttons, scored 42 in 112 games; Glenn Murray, who had struggled at all his previous clubs (and under Steve Parkin who initially loaned him in at Dale) but flourished under Hill and scored about 20 in 40 before being sold under financial pressure; Chris O'Grady, unwanted but turned into a £350,000 sale; Scott Hogan, a youth product sold for £750,000; or more recently, Ian Henderson – free transfer, rubbish everywhere else, but for Rochdale it's 50 goals and counting in c.150 games.

And that's without mentioning Craig Dawson. Damn.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Whoever we get we surely have to forget this "magic wand" formula that we will win the league and bonce straight back into the Championship, being a reality. We can't pick and choose our saviours. A half-decent manager who actually wants to come here to restore a level of togetherness and desire amongst the players, get them playing decent football, bring the fans back in and get rid of the current listless attitude of defeat being a given is hat we need and should settle for. We're really at a point now where "Festina Lente" is the only sensible option.
Where in my post did I say there was a magic wand formula? Or talk about going straight back up?

We need a good manager, the best we can get. Surely everyone agrees with that? And that is the discussion as to who that might be.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Where in my post did I say there was a magic wand formula? Or talk about going straight back up?

We need a good manager, the best we can get. Surely everyone agrees with that? And that is the discussion as to who that might be.
Gee, who rattled your cage Insaney? I was but adding a view and did t on the end of your own. It was a very loose and general opinion. Pardon me for breathing....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
I'd be more worried if Hill had tried (and failed) at Barnsley then had success at Rochdale. More impressive that he took them up (after 40 years in the bottom tier) and established them in the Third, then went to Barnsley, then went back to Dale who were back in the bottom tier and again took them up and established them. I know what you mean - it would be more impressive if he'd done it at two different clubs - but we could do with the sort of guy who picks up bargains. Take Adam Le Fondre - signed for buttons, scored 42 in 112 games; Glenn Murray, who had struggled at all his previous clubs (and under Steve Parkin who initially loaned him in at Dale) but flourished under Hill and scored about 20 in 40 before being sold under financial pressure; Chris O'Grady, unwanted but turned into a £350,000 sale; Scott Hogan, a youth product sold for £750,000; or more recently, Ian Henderson – free transfer, rubbish everywhere else, but for Rochdale it's 50 goals and counting in c.150 games.

And that's without mentioning Craig Dawson. Damn.
Well that's won me over to Hill. That's an impressive record
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Gee, who rattled your cage Insaney? I was but adding a view and did t on the end of your own. It was a very loose and general opinion. Pardon me for breathing....
Well that is fine. And apologies if I came off as brusque. But I thought you were suggesting I was expecting immediate promotion. Which is far from the case.

As you say we need the right man for a decent amount of time, there isn't a quick fix, which is why finding the right person is important.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

Ive not heard of him before, does he manage in Serie A?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Well that's won me over to Hill. That's an impressive record
Funny innit. I knew he'd had some players there that went on to relative success, but I'd forgotten about Murray and hadn't heard of a couple of them. Then I got to thinking "Well no wonder he's done well if he keeps having strikers scoring loads." Then I realised that that was a stupid thing to think. :D