Which muppet can we appoint next?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Which muppet can we appoint next?

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
"We're pretty much there, everything should be completed by the end of the week
If you want to be pedantic, close of play Saturday, but we all know BWFC don't work Saturdays, or at least they didn't last season.
No-one has ever said "should be done by the end of the week" and ended up finishing it on Monday/Tuesday? Getting things completed and unveiling a new manager at a press conference/PSG are probably not the same thing either.

I'd rather they take their time and get the right manager than rush it through.
They've had months.

This is the third or fourth time they've announced a "timescale". Nobody forced them. Remember Anderson wrote in the program weeks ago we already have a manager in place...

Taking their time won't guarantee the right appointment and as the Bolton News has said, it is questionable whether they are taking their time because they want the right man or whether it is a lot of procrastination.

End of the day, I'm not forcing them to keep putting a timescale on things. If they write in the program that a manager is in place and "already working on planning to next season" and then that turns out to be absolute, utter bollocks, it isn't anyone's fault but theirs is it?

All I'm saying is, lets see if they manage to keep to their latest declaration. I hope so because then they can crack on with getting that embargo lifted and some players signed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:12 pm

Be honest:

Anyone else a bit pigged off that Evans isn't being interviewed? I didn't expect to react like that, but I have. I guess it's about my desire to find the right man for the club. I'll have to work on persuading myself we didn't want him anyway.

(Although that story does contradict several earlier BN pieces, so I'm not 100% sure I believe he's out of the question.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Be honest:

Anyone else a bit pigged off that Evans isn't being interviewed? I didn't expect to react like that, but I have. I guess it's about my desire to find the right man for the club. I'll have to work on persuading myself we didn't want him anyway.

(Although that story does contradict several earlier BN pieces, so I'm not 100% sure I believe he's out of the question.)
I think that he might have done a job. However, whether he has the right personality to bring through the kids and nurture them with a few experienced old heads I'm not sure.

He certainly is one of the better qualified options though. Seems an unpleasant character but he'd have been our "unpleasant character" if he did well here.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:28 pm

I'm very pleased.

#teamAdkins
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Said it before, I'll say it again.

They are looking for a yes man, they are not confident enough to trust anyone who will not broach their interfering.

Neither of the two feckers inspire on football matters.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:40 pm

I suppose it's symptomatic of the current game but it still shocks me when I hear of directors, owners whatever, identifying which players they want for the new season. Leave that to the bloody manager. I can't imagine Rioch working like that.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I suppose it's symptomatic of the current game but it still shocks me when I hear of directors, owners whatever, identifying which players they want for the new season. Leave that to the bloody manager. I can't imagine Rioch working like that.
Much of our current financial problems are as a result of that approach.

Coyle/Freedman/Lennon signed players to long contracts who were then not wanted by subsequent managers (plus the only decent permanent signing they mustered between them was Holden).

If this new approach means we're signing decent players and then are getting in a manager to work with those players I have no issue with this method. It also seems to work well for the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea, Swansea and Southampton.

Don't ask me what happens if Anderson & Son + Holdsworth can't pick a decent player though...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I suppose it's symptomatic of the current game but it still shocks me when I hear of directors, owners whatever, identifying which players they want for the new season. Leave that to the bloody manager. I can't imagine Rioch working like that.
Yeah but Rioch was a product of a different age, when alcohol was encouraged and he sent Jason McAteer over the road for the lunchtime pies. Pies!

Loved Bruce to bits, still do, and I'd love us to hire another of his type (stern but protectively patriarchal, wants attacking football) but things have moved on a bit. Remember that if the situation were the same he'd have been trusting the Warbies, whereas we have football men (ex-player, ex-agent) so it's not a like-for-like comparison. Recruitment in those days was phoning fellow managers asking who was available (for them and elsewhere), then sending some old guy in a flat cap to watch people in the reserves. Now there are videos of literally thousands of players worldwide - and I don't mean YouTube clipreels, I mean 90-minute footage following them round and available via interfaces that let you examine his tackling/heading/clearances or whatever your criteria. I've seen the Wyscout system (others are available) and it's terrifyingly in-depth; it's not possible for one man to do it alone, especially when he's also supposed to be taking training, picking the team etc etc. It's fine by me if Deano wants to get involved in player suggestion; what would be more worrying is if the manager isn't allowed a say at all, but has there been any indication at all that that would be the truth?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Loyal White wrote:Coyle/Freedman/Lennon signed players to long contracts who were then not wanted by subsequent managers (plus the only decent permanent signing they mustered between them was Holden).
Jesus, there's a thought. Surely there's some others in there but I can't think of any... (scurries to the record books)

EDIT: Best candidates are Klasnic, Wheater, Eagles, Feeney and Danns, but the tail-off demonstrates our decline...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Loyal White wrote:
Much of our current financial problems are as a result of that approach.

Coyle/Freedman/Lennon signed players to long contracts who were then not wanted by subsequent managers (plus the only decent permanent signing they mustered between them was Holden).

If this new approach means we're signing decent players and then are getting in a manager to work with those players I have no issue with this method. It also seems to work well for the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea, Swansea and Southampton.

Don't ask me what happens if Anderson & Son + Holdsworth can't pick a decent player though...
This approach would be fine if there was a clear structure with a Director of Football or head of recruitment who was clearly responsible (and suitably qualified) for identifying and recruiting players.

But we don't seem to have that. And the question is, are we signing the best players we can or is it just whoever Ken used to represent/deal with?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Loyal White wrote:Coyle/Freedman/Lennon signed players to long contracts who were then not wanted by subsequent managers (plus the only decent permanent signing they mustered between them was Holden).
Jesus, there's a thought. Surely there's some others in there but I can't think of any... (scurries to the record books)

EDIT: Best candidates are Klasnic, Wheater, Eagles, Feeney and Danns, but the tail-off demonstrates our decline...
Trotter, you forgot Trotter!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Enoch wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:

Trotter, you forgot Trotter!
Not yet I haven't.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:26 pm

100% agree. I have mooted Evans several times on here.

Failing Evans it has to be Cotterill for me. He was working under constraints with a club in the exact same position that we now find ourselves in and he returned said club back to the championship at the first time of asking and in some style. We are not talking about something someone achieved 4/5 years ago which was the last time Adkins had any success we are talking last season. Fingers crossed for Cotterill if Evans isn't in the frame.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:19 pm

enrdentw wrote:

100% agree. I have mooted Evans several times on here.
Failing Evans it has to be Cotterill for me. He was working under constraints with a club in the exact same position that we now find ourselves in and he returned said club back to the championship at the first time of asking and in some style. We are not talking about something someone achieved 4/5 years ago which was the last time Adkins had any success we are talking last season. Fingers crossed for Cotterill if Evans isn't in the frame.

It seems perverse to piss about for so long and not interview one of the best lower league managers in recent history just as he becomes available.
Like DSB I'm not convinced thru won't squeeze him in, so to speak.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Right I know this isn't going to be popular. And I know I'll be accused of being a wum. And i know it'll never happen. And I know that Kangana has the sharpest set of knives west of Paris, and will use them. But the only man who can sort this is Gary Megson.

There I've said it.
Businesswoman of the year.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:34 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Right I know this isn't going to be popular. And I know I'll be accused of being a wum. And i know it'll never happen. And I know that Kangana has the sharpest set of knives west of Paris, and will use them. But the only man who can sort this is Gary Megson.

There I've said it.
Wash your mouth out! You're right it's not popular, not with me anyway

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:46 pm

^^ he's pissed, or he's been hacked :shock:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Not pissed. Been thinking it for a while but didn't want to suggest it.

Best man by far for our situation.
Businesswoman of the year.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:22 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Not pissed. Been thinking it for a while but didn't want to suggest it.

Best man by far for our situation.
Pfffft.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:24 pm

I've just seen on Twitter that Iles is on holiday this week. Nailed on, therefore, that there'll be an appointment announced before he's back on Monday.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!