For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Citing a "well-placed Arsenal source", this website says Arsenal are "hopeful" BWFC will to accept Arsenal's second bid of "up to £1.5m including add-ons" for Rob Holding. Or, as the story calls him on one occasion, Harding.
(The writer Wayne Veysey is an old hand, a Nixon type, rather than a wet-eared greenhorn. But there's nothing to say Nixon types don't file copy to fill pages.)
"Up to"1.5 mil "including" ad-ons. In this day and age for a man a money club like Arsenal want it's a bit of a joke. If we were still in the Chapionship even they'd have to part with far more. Just taking advantage of our misfortunes I reckon. If they want Holding, make em pay his worth. What can we replace for 1.5m?
The flip side is if we were in the premiership paying more than £1M for a player who's played what, 20 odd matches in his life for a team that finished bottom of the championship, and miserably so, people would be questioning why we're doing it, that we lack ambition and are spending far too much for an unproven player....
To flip it back again, didn't we pay close to, or over a million for a few kids we stole from other clubs? Odelusi or Obadeyi was it from Coventry? Mavies from Wolves? I'm sure there were others we splashed big cash on during our premiership days who were described as potential but then never made it. TV money has gone stratospheric since so we should be able to hold out for much more (didn't Everton pay around£3m for Stones?). Whether our desperation means we'll snatch at the first offer though....
But the value isn't dictated by the money around, it is dictated by how much someone wants to pay. And indirectly by how desperate the selling club are to sell....

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:15 pm

Didn't we pay 1m for Conolley (or whatever he was called) who didn't get a look in? Anyway, Wenger should be charged a premium on top of whatever we can get elsewhere.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:16 pm

^ ^you reckon? Its always seemed to me at any rate, that any increase in tv revenue sees transfer fees quickly increase too. It's a difficult balancing act for the club that's for sure. They try and hold out for big money, nobody else shows an interest and then he fails to develop in the way we hope. His wages must be amongst the lowest in the first team so I don't see it as such a problem if it plays out like that. Lets say a minimum of£3M or Arsenal and anyone else can do one.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:^ ^you reckon? Its always seemed to me at any rate, that any increase in tv revenue sees transfer fees quickly increase too. It's a difficult balancing act for the club that's for sure. They try and hold out for big money, nobody else shows an interest and then he fails to develop in the way we hope. His wages must be amongst the lowest in the first team so I don't see it as such a problem if it plays out like that. Lets say a minimum of£3M or Arsenal and anyone else can do one.
What if, there is a significant hole in the budget that needs filling? I suspect we will sell off Holding because we need the money to pay the wages of the likes of Pratley et al who we can't shift....

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Lennon got the Hibs job... the least he can do is come and buy Pratley for £10 mil!!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:35 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Lennon got the Hibs job... the least he can do is come and buy Pratley for £10 mil!!
Good. He can take Twatdick or whatever he's called with him.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:56 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:^ ^you reckon? Its always seemed to me at any rate, that any increase in tv revenue sees transfer fees quickly increase too. It's a difficult balancing act for the club that's for sure. They try and hold out for big money, nobody else shows an interest and then he fails to develop in the way we hope. His wages must be amongst the lowest in the first team so I don't see it as such a problem if it plays out like that. Lets say a minimum of£3M or Arsenal and anyone else can do one.
What if, there is a significant hole in the budget that needs filling? I suspect we will sell off Holding because we need the money to pay the wages of the likes of Pratley et al who we can't shift....
Darren is going, don't worry. I've got my best people working on it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Darren is going, don't worry. I've got my best people working on it.
I'll buy you an Internet pint if he's gone by page 30. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:38 pm

When did we last sign a player? I honestly can't remember.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:59 pm

LeverEnd wrote:When did we last sign a player? I honestly can't remember.
Momentous Madine?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:10 am

Shola Ameobi, methinks...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:15 am

Heard a rumour from someone I know with decent links to some staff at the club, Steve Cotterill announced tomorrow, press conference Monday/Tuesday.

Same person was bang on about Freedman but also told me we were getting Chris Coleman when it turned out to be Megson....We shall see...think I'd prefer Adkins personally....

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Heard a rumour from someone I know with decent links to some staff at the club, Steve Cotterill announced tomorrow, press conference Monday/Tuesday.

Same person was bang on about Freedman but also told me we were getting Chris Coleman when it turned out to be Megson....We shall see...think I'd prefer Adkins personally....

Is it Marc Iles? :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Heard a rumour from someone I know with decent links to some staff at the club, Steve Cotterill announced tomorrow, press conference Monday/Tuesday.

If the club predicted I had 48 hours left to live I'd probably book a fortnight's holiday. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:

If the club predicted I had 48 hours left to live I'd probably book a fortnight's holiday. :wink:
:grin: Even TD is cynical now....

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

And what would you do for the other 2 years? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:58 pm

Decent links indeed. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:48 pm

I see that this Robson-Kanu boy that's just scored for Wales has no club. Isn't he about as good as we can hope for?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:55 pm

I'd take him. Bit of a joke him playing international football but he's quick, decent in the air, works hard. Doesn't score enough but could be a decent foil if we can get goals from midfield.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:02 pm

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a championship club. Played a lot of games at that level, still quite young and playing internationally. Would be nice though.