Blades to boycott over ridiculous ticket prices!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Blades to boycott over ridiculous ticket prices!

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:17 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:If you set a standard price, then when nobody turns up you drop it to buttons, ST holders complain - and understandably so, as they're the ones who committed first and hardest.

In a market of elastic demand, it makes complete sense to me to have grades (and flexibility within them). I'd argue the top one is too high - £30 is an emotional barrier - but I'd also argue we'd be daft to charge the same price for a November midweeker against MK Dons and a late-April promotion decider against Bradford. (Hypotheticals but you get the point.) Remember that last time we were in this division there was a big swing between gate figures – 4,000 in October, 20,000 in May – and it wasn't a smooth graph reflecting a rise up the table.
I reckon they must do some sort of elasticity analysis. If you were to get 10,000 @ £30 you'd need 15,000 @ £20 to not lose out and I doubt you'd get that much of a swing.

I obviously couldn't be arsed, but it'd be interesting to see a graph of ticket prices vs attendances for last season.
That would be interesting. Different seats would be different amounts so you're really just looking at which band the game is. Is there a website that shows this?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Apropos of little, here's our attendances last time we were in this division.

The reds are midweek games (which didn't seem to matter much); Swansea's orange because it was Easter Monday.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:42 pm

As a general rule, fans have to vote with their feet. I've refused to go to many a match on the principle of it not being value for money even though I could afford it. It's all situational and dependent on what you think value is. So I'm fully with the Sheffield United fans. All this exploiting fans loyalty is complete garbage. You have a free will not to go, it doesn't make you less of a fan.

In the case of the premierleague, they know they can charge ludicrous prices because there's an army of either day trippers or foreign fans to fill the seats. The local fans are the losers of globalisation. Like with anything(stocks, housing, even premierleague TV deals), when prices are overpriced, we'll see a correction eventually. Bolton prices have been steep for far too long IMO. Maybe after this season, we will see that correction.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:02 pm

We could do worse than look at Parkys previous club. Season tickets for adults £149. Juniors £99. Average gate last year was I think 18000. This is a side without a history of high support that's spent the bulk of its lifetime in the lower divisions. I don't know if it would work for us but it shows it can be done
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:We could do worse than look at Parkys previous club. Season tickets for adults £149. Juniors £99. Average gate last year was I think 18000. This is a side without a history of high support that's spent the bulk of its lifetime in the lower divisions. I don't know if it would work for us but it shows it can be done
And as Iles points out, before their rich new owners they were relative paupers in the transfer market.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:42 am

Apparently Sheffield Utd have sold 3000 tickets. Glad we didn't drop the prices. And those who argue half the prices to get more fans in, this is why clubs model the optimal price to maximise revenue.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Apparently Sheffield Utd have sold 3000 tickets. Glad we didn't drop the prices. And those who argue half the prices to get more fans in, this is why clubs model the optimal price to maximise revenue.
No Shit Sherlock. Twice as many at half the price would still "maximize" the same amount of Revenue - but yes, trying to get 6,000 away fans in would be some feat for a season's opener.... ;-)

Seriously, this is against an average of around 1600-1700 Sheff Utd away fans a couple of seasons ago...

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2015/fo ... 98261.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good show by them. :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:We could do worse than look at Parkys previous club. Season tickets for adults £149. Juniors £99. Average gate last year was I think 18000. This is a side without a history of high support that's spent the bulk of its lifetime in the lower divisions. I don't know if it would work for us but it shows it can be done
And as Iles points out, before their rich new owners they were relative paupers in the transfer market.
Genuine question as I dont know - Are Bradford loaded? They must have some clout to do a deal like that on ST's but it's been running for a couple of seasons now and I haven't noticed them spending loads on transfers
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Genuine question as I dont know - Are Bradford loaded? They must have some clout to do a deal like that on ST's but it's been running for a couple of seasons now and I haven't noticed them spending loads on transfers
Probably because of their low ticket income
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Apparently Sheffield Utd have sold 3000 tickets. Glad we didn't drop the prices. And those who argue half the prices to get more fans in, this is why clubs model the optimal price to maximise revenue.
No Shit Sherlock. Twice as many at half the price would still "maximize" the same amount of Revenue - but yes, trying to get 6,000 away fans in would be some feat for a season's opener.... ;-)

Seriously, this is against an average of around 1600-1700 Sheff Utd away fans a couple of seasons ago...

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2015/fo ... 98261.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We gave them just over 3000 tickets and are giving them few hundred more. Ultimately I suspect we will be slightly better off with 3000 at full price as presumably 6000 at half price would add some cost to policing bill etc...and I doubt we'd get that many anyways.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

they're only coming to watch Trotter... :oyea:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Aye so if that isn't worth every bit of £15 a ticket, nothing is.

Norpig
Promising
Promising

Post by Norpig » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:29 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

they're only coming to watch Trotter... :oyea:
Fall on his arse AGAIN! :roll: