For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: For new signings, ask the man from the Pru

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:39 am

Collins played far more often at CB though. But yeah you get the feeling there'll be a touch of make do and mend about the cover LB. which is even more worrying if we're playing a narrow midfield, although I do expect wide reinforcements by the end of the month (cue BWFCi pointing at the balance sheet).

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Aye agreed. Though as you say there'll be making do. Certainly no longer the luxury of 2 proper 1st teamers per position. I'd have hoped we'd keep a few more kids around to cover but seems not. Versatility could be the watch-word.

Didn't we keep one of the young full-backs? Garrett maybe? Or all gone?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:Aye agreed. Though as you say there'll be making do. Certainly no longer the luxury of 2 proper 1st teamers per position. I'd have hoped we'd keep a few more kids around to cover but seems not. Versatility could be the watch-word.

Didn't we keep one of the young full-backs? Garrett maybe? Or all gone?
All gone. Including Garrett.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Would you say this is true? Amos, Spearing, Pratley and Mark Davies are likely on £3m - £3.5m per year between them? Dervite, Moxey and Trotter were signed before our most severe financial troubles and so must be on competitive championship salaries? £500k per year maybe? So those 7 players prob constitute a full, typical league one budget?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:08 pm

The Oracle linking us (Swindon and Aberdeen) with Lloyd Jones from Liverpool. Not made a first team appearance for Liverpool but has been on loan at Blackpool, Accrington and Cheltenham. 6 feet 3 inch centre half.
Alan Nixon
‏@reluctantnicko

Liverpool. Live interest in young centre half Lloyd Jones. Bolton. Swindon. Aberdeen. All want on loan.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:25 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Would you say this is true? Amos, Spearing, Pratley and Mark Davies are likely on £3m - £3.5m per year between them? Dervite, Moxey and Trotter were signed before our most severe financial troubles and so must be on competitive championship salaries? £500k per year maybe? So those 7 players prob constitute a full, typical league one budget?
Even worse than that. I did the maths for this a while back, champ:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Mind you, in all seriousness, remember that (per Mail on Sunday) the average League One player wage is £69.5k pa or £1,337 per week – which means that if The Sun's numbers (below) are correct, our four main earners are pulling in the equivalent of a 49-man League One squad. Add in the other five names listed below, and those nine players are earning the equivalent of an 84-man squad. Which would indeed be fairly huge, especially as we've got another 14 players in the tour/matchday squad.

(Players on tour not listed above: Will Jaaskelainen, Alex Finney, Lawrie Wilson, Mark Beevers, Rob Holding, Filip Twardzik, Josh Vela, Chris Taylor, Tom Walker, Kaiyne Woolery, Max Clayton, Zach Clough, Conor Wilkinson, Jamie Proctor)

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:Would you say this is true? Amos, Spearing, Pratley and Mark Davies are likely on £3m - £3.5m per year between them? Dervite, Moxey and Trotter were signed before our most severe financial troubles and so must be on competitive championship salaries? £500k per year maybe? So those 7 players prob constitute a full, typical league one budget?
Even worse than that. I did the maths for this a while back, champ:
Yeah, based on those figures, those 7 players Bristol mentioned (in total just shy of 5m per year) are an equivalent of around 70 L1 players.

Or 15 Championship players. Sheesh when you put it like that...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks. I didn't think that Derik or Madine were on that much. That is close to £6m pa for 9 players. I don't think any other team in L1 will be saddled with anything close to that level of financial baggage that we have with those players. Indeed you could probably say that about many championship clubs. Really, if those players are to justify their salaries then they should propel us to the L1 championship with distance to spare. Sadly, I suspect that will not be the case. I guess we can't blame the owners or the league for not allowing us to add to the wage bill at this time, and we just have to get through this season when we can jettison all the big earners except for Amos and Pratley. An amazing £4.5m pa saving!!

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:44 pm

Wheater on a one year contract!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:51 pm

malcd1 wrote:The Oracle linking us (Swindon and Aberdeen) with Lloyd Jones from Liverpool. Not made a first team appearance for Liverpool but has been on loan at Blackpool, Accrington and Cheltenham. 6 feet 3 inch centre half.
ticks all of BWFCi's boxes :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:53 pm

plymouth wanderer wrote:Wheater on a one year contract!
Says who?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Says who?
Plymouth Wanderer...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Says who?
Burnden Aces, categorically; no confirmation from club yet, it's not in/on BN, Iles is on holiday

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Says who?
Burnden Aces, categorically; no confirmation from club yet, it's not in/on BN, Iles is on holiday
Burnden aces? I mean I'd be surprised if we didn't sign Wheater. He's clearly not been bumming around here this long without some sort of promise he'd get a deal. If he does sign though it would be the first thing Parky has done that I'd question.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'd be surprised if we didn't sign Wheater. He's clearly not been bumming around here this long without some sort of promise he'd get a deal. If he does sign though it would be the first thing Parky has done that I'd question.
I don't think you can prove he had any sort of promise. Maybe he genuinely likes the club, his family is settled, etc.

Like I said when he came back on trial: there are better defenders and worse defenders out there. I'm slightly worried that he can't possibly be on a "real" League One wage but obviously he fits Parky's parameters.

I'm just worried as to Bruce Rioja's reaction... :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:30 pm

^^ and Worthy's...arrrrgh

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'd be surprised if we didn't sign Wheater. He's clearly not been bumming around here this long without some sort of promise he'd get a deal. If he does sign though it would be the first thing Parky has done that I'd question.
I don't think you can prove he had any sort of promise. Maybe he genuinely likes the club, his family is settled, etc.

Like I said when he came back on trial: there are better defenders and worse defenders out there. I'm slightly worried that he can't possibly be on a "real" League One wage but obviously he fits Parky's parameters.

I doubt he'd hang around 3 or 4 weeks if he didn't feel a deal was quite likely.

Can't prove it I just suspect that to be the case.

For me he's injury prone and slow. When fit he's decent, I just worry he's never fit and also I'd prefer a little mobility alongside Beevs.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Says who?
It was supposedly based on a tweet from the guy filling in for Iles, however he's now deleted it.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I doubt he'd hang around 3 or 4 weeks if he didn't feel a deal was quite likely.

For me he's injury prone and slow. When fit he's decent, I just worry he's never fit and also I'd prefer a little mobility alongside Beevs.
Better than heading down the local gym Shirley?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:36 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Better than heading down the local gym Shirley?
Yes but I'm sure someone would have had him.