Match Thread - Sheffield United (H) - 6 Aug 2016. 15:00.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Match Thread - Sheffield United (H) - 6 Aug 2016. 15:00.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:15 pm

The ball ran across our area a couple of times but apart from the weak header by Clarke about 10 minutes in I don't recall these clear cut chances folk are talking about. Did Howard have a difficult save to make? Pratleys 2 efforts were the nearest to a 2nd goal
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Thought first 20 were ropey. We looked a bit like last season. Couldn't keep the ball and seemed like they were going through us at will.

Just about hung in there and it allowed Parkinson to tweak a few things.

From there I thought we looked every bit the organised, pragmatic, disciplined outfit I'd hope we would finally be. Can see that we are more physical and certainly thought Beevers and Wheater were both outstanding at the back after the opening.

Buxton looks solid and surprising he lasted the game. Midfield was a mix, Spearing looked every bit back to his best. Pratley tried hard. Vela was generally poor. Did not look like he has the legs to really make an impact.

Taylor barely got the ball and Wilson out of position did a job as best he could. His long throws were decent though and pretty nice to see us look effective from those and set pieces. Once we started throwing the ball at Madine I thought he played well. I mean never looked like scoring but he worked the line very well and actually retained the ball at times.

Blow clearly the two injuries to Spearing and Pratley. Pratley I wouldn't expect to see him again this season. Think we can survive that but I hope Spearing's was precautionary because he was excellent.

I'd love us to grind out a load of 1-0's like this. Can't see us scoring many as it stands so we might have to. If there is any way of bringing more in we definitely need a forward with some pace and ideally some goals.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:The ball ran across our area a couple of times but apart from the weak header by Clarke about 10 minutes in I don't recall these clear cut chances folk are talking about. Did Howard have a difficult save to make? Pratleys 2 efforts were the nearest to a 2nd goal
Saw it reported that they didn't have a single effort on target according to the opta data....

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:16 pm

twilight wrote:

Not working for me??
I've fixed Bijou's link, should be reet now. :)
Businesswoman of the year.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Thank you!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:The ball ran across our area a couple of times but apart from the weak header by Clarke about 10 minutes in I don't recall these clear cut chances folk are talking about. Did Howard have a difficult save to make? Pratleys 2 efforts were the nearest to a 2nd goal
Clarke's was probably the clearest cut of the three and none of them were on target. Some bugger would've probably buried all three last season...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Saw it reported that they didn't have a single effort on target according to the opta data....
They cut the ball across our goal 3 times, minimum. That no-one connected was amazing. As W4E says, last year a couple of those would have gone in. For that period were not in control at all.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:37 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
They cut the ball across our goal 3 times, minimum. That no-one connected was amazing. As W4E says, last year a couple of those would have gone in. For that period were not in control at all.
I agree that for 20 minutes we struggled and yes they flashed some decent balls across.

Thankfully we sorted it and got going. Their keeper made the only save of the game.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Pratley's looked bad the minute he went down. Shame because I thought him and Spearing had pretty good games. It'd have been between those two for motm for me.
Parky hasn't written him off yet...
PHIL PARKINSON: "Darren felt a crack. Hopefully it is not too bad. We’ll have to wait and see. He ran himself into the ground today for the team. He was up against John Fleck who can really dictate play, but I think he overpowered him. Fingers crossed he’ll be alright."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:51 pm

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Pratley's looked bad the minute he went down. Shame because I thought him and Spearing had pretty good games. It'd have been between those two for motm for me.
Parky hasn't written him off yet...
PHIL PARKINSON: "Darren felt a crack. Hopefully it is not too bad. We’ll have to wait and see. He ran himself into the ground today for the team. He was up against John Fleck who can really dictate play, but I think he overpowered him. Fingers crossed he’ll be alright."
He couldn't say much else. Be hugely surprised if it wasn't long term.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:52 pm

aye - look on the bright side! :D

("feeling a crack" - even leaving smutty minds aside - doesn't always mean breaking a bone...)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:57 pm

thebish wrote:aye - look on the bright side! :D

("feeling a crack" - even leaving smutty minds aside - doesn't always mean breaking a bone...)
Breaking a bone, especially a hairline fracture, might be the best outcome. Better than knee ligaments possibly.

Anyhow, hope he's ok, but I'd be surprised beyond belief if it is not pretty serious.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:27 pm

^^ go on. Say it. You're worried aren't you ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:41 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ go on. Say it. You're worried aren't you ?
Disappointed for Pratley. Not worried. We've got Parky.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:36 pm

The Good:
Spearing
Howard
Beevers and Wheater's solidity
Proctor’s cameo
Parky’s substitutions
Seeing the game out when we went down to ten men
The clean sheet
A win against the favourites for the title despite our best player being out injured
The atmosphere

The Bad:
The chaotic first twenty minutes
Pratley’s injury
Having no real width
The space between the midfield and the one man up top
The lack of pace and urgency going forward
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:12 pm

^^^ especially agree about the void between Madine and anyone following up.

Interestingly that ceased when Proctor came on as he looked to link up.

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:16 pm

Looks like it was recorded on a potato.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:58 pm

Interesting point from HG earlier. If Pratley is out long term, it might be that insurance would cover his wages. That might give us some leeway in bringing one or two in.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:aye - look on the bright side! :D

Breaking a bone, especially a hairline fracture, might be the best outcome. Better than knee ligaments possibly.

Anyhow, hope he's ok, but I'd be surprised beyond belief if it is not pretty serious.

surprised "beyond belief"???

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:34 pm

I know you're rather speculating yer holiness, but it was one of them the second he went down, that any bugger who saw it said ouch to themselves. It took them 5 minutes to get him on the stretcher. None of which is medical evidence but it didn't look good.