Match Thread - Sheffield United (H) - 6 Aug 2016. 15:00.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Match Thread - Sheffield United (H) - 6 Aug 2016. 15:00.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:No, not loads. You've done what you often do and headed to the far end of the scale. I was sat right behind our goal and they didn't look very far off the two that flashed across the box. Not far off at all. That they had those chances is pretty indisputable. They were as Bobo said in the first 20 mins after which we settled down. On a different day one or all three might have gone in. They didn't and we're happy.

I will be happy if we restrict every team we play to that number and quality of chances.

Whilst I agree they were on top for the first 20 minutes and yes they could have scored I still think we were defensively very good that game and to stop any team having any efforts on target should be applauded.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Didn't they have a header which Howard saved by simply sticking his arm up and the ball went over for a corner.

That was an effort on target.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:No, not loads. You've done what you often do and headed to the far end of the scale. I was sat right behind our goal and they didn't look very far off the two that flashed across the box. Not far off at all. That they had those chances is pretty indisputable. They were as Bobo said in the first 20 mins after which we settled down. On a different day one or all three might have gone in. They didn't and we're happy.

I will be happy if we restrict every team we play to that number and quality of chances.

Whilst I agree they were on top for the first 20 minutes and yes they could have scored I still think we were defensively very good that game and to stop any team having any efforts on target should be applauded.
Yes yes. I'm applauding.

Had we been two down after 20 I wouldn't have been. And no, I wouldn't want to give every team three chances like that in the first 20.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:32 pm

How did Howard look, by the way?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:44 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Didn't they have a header which Howard saved by simply sticking his arm up and the ball went over for a corner.

Was it going in or across goal? Opta stats claimed Sheff Utd only team to have no efforts on target yesterday.

danardif1
Reliable
Reliable

Post by danardif1 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Didn't they have a header which Howard saved by simply sticking his arm up and the ball went over for a corner.

Was it going in or across goal? Opta stats claimed Sheff Utd only team to have no efforts on target yesterday.
Is that because we defended well or that they were shite? They underwhelmed last season but are reputed to be one of the better teams in the division, so how do we gauge this result?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:How did Howard look, by the way?
Well ... as per statistics hardly tested.

I felt he was slow to come & claim high balls. We'll see but for me needs to be more decisive.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:34 pm

danardif1 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Is that because we defended well or that they were shite? They underwhelmed last season but are reputed to be one of the better teams in the division, so how do we gauge this result?
Too early to say. As said elsewhere had they scored early doors would have been a different game.

We looked far more organised and defensively sound especially after the first 20 minutes. But still looks like goals will be a major issue.

As Parky says we need a few more additions. This squad isn't finished yet. If there isn't the chance to bring more in I feel we will do well to battle to a mid table position.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Stop saying "early doors"!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

See the video highlight. 2nd half. Big nets. It was on target.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Early doors.
Businesswoman of the year.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:37 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Early doors.
I preferred your prediction yesterday to those of last year where you were wrong so often.

Frankly, I'm surprised we retained you mid-season..Are you on pay-for-performance ?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:53 am

No matter what happened early doors we still held out late doors and got the points. Doors.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:57 am

Diana Doors

Alberto Contadoors

Corridoors

Matadoors

Door-a the Explorer

Ecuadoors

Toreodoor

Aaahh, Con-door!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:58 am

I thought we looked pretty comfortable throughout. Let them have the ball knowing full well they'd do very little with it.

Would go as far as saying man for man, they're as bad as anything we've played for a decade or 2, but this level is a know low in that time, so to be expected.

Because of the above, I was actually concerned that we didn't take the game to such a limited team and don't think we'll do very well with that kind of set up

early days though and I know they're gelling etc.

Vela was a passenger again except for a couple of tidy touches. Can't see what he's going to offer in the middle of the park. Was like playing with 10 men in the first half.

Madine worked hard for his standards, but he's not a lone striker in a million years. Not physical enough and incapable of creating things for himself.

Having a defender on the wing was a bit strange and not something I want to see too often, especially if Taylor continues to be as ineffective on the other side. Didn't get into the game and showed no appetite to want to
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Jim Morrison and the Doors. Late Doors. :|
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

n035209
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by n035209 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:44 pm

Howards a Puncher. Unnerving!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:52 pm

boltonboris wrote:I thought we looked pretty comfortable throughout. Let them have the ball knowing full well they'd do very little with it.

Would go as far as saying man for man, they're as bad as anything we've played for a decade or 2, but this level is a know low in that time, so to be expected.

Because of the above, I was actually concerned that we didn't take the game to such a limited team and don't think we'll do very well with that kind of set up

Vela was a passenger again except for a couple of tidy touches. Can't see what he's going to offer in the middle of the park. Was like playing with 10 men in the first half.

Madine worked hard for his standards, but he's not a lone striker in a million years. Not physical enough and incapable of creating things for himself.

Having a defender on the wing was a bit strange and not something I want to see too often, especially if Taylor continues to be as ineffective on the other side. Didn't get into the game and showed no appetite to want to
Agree about Taylor. He looks slow and weak and I'm not sure what he will create. Might just need a bit longer to sharpen up. Would hope that we will be a bit more adventurous against Fleetwood in the next home game and see Davies rather than Wilson in.midfield. Apparently Buxton is injury prone so Wilson will get games as 2nd choice. He worked hard sat but didn't like him there. Was there a problem with davies or just tactical?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:00 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I thought we looked pretty comfortable throughout. Let them have the ball knowing full well they'd do very little with it.

Agree about Taylor. He looks slow and weak and I'm not sure what he will create. Might just need a bit longer to sharpen up. Would hope that we will be a bit more adventurous against Fleetwood in the next home game and see Davies rather than Wilson in.midfield. Apparently Buxton is injury prone so Wilson will get games as 2nd choice. He worked hard sat but didn't like him there. Was there a problem with davies or just tactical?
I think it was a pragmatic decision. It worked and we won, but I don't think it'll exactly endear him to the fans if it persists, nor do I think that should be the way we set up in future.

It was important to get a good start and if that meant making sure we had the best chance of keeping them at nil, I accept that.

I don;t think it'll make us any more likely to win in future though, as you can;t really rely on a 20 yards volley nestling in the far corner everyweek. We need players who can keep the ball and move, mixed in with the graft.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:06 pm

I think all people want is a winning side. Balls to the rest of it. But yes we won't win like that every week.

However I think the basic solid setup is a must. Add some extra creativity for sure but this is a league for grinding out results.

Fans were happier Saturday than I've seen them in years.