The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 pm

Out of interest, and almost forgotten in the wage-ceiling hoo-ha, strikes me that the loans being restricted to 6 months might not necessarily affect us that much. In fact, if I were managing a Premier League club (perish the thought), I'd quite happily hedge my bets on sending promising young players to Bolton; I'd quite like the option of recalling them in the winter window for a better destination - be that because the team is struggling or the club collapsing. I don't think the £4,500 ceiling would nix too many deals for young pups.

Which might be a very good thing, because borrowed young pups might be the best we can hope for unless things change. This year's Tammy Abraham would be lovely, although a kiddie Kakuta is more likely.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:12 pm
Maybe the confusion comes because it's an annual salary cap, so we could theoretically pay a player 12 months' wages in six months.
Forget that. I haven't yet seen the new rules but last year's say "employee costs of a player signed are less than £600,000 per annum (or pro-rata)”, so that's out.

The other loophole is if we manage to palm off a high earner - essentially now either Amos or Pratley - I believe we could pay someone 75% of their pay packet. Trouble is, I doubt they'd let us shift Amos and give his wage to a striker; Pratley for a new midfielder is perhaps more feasible, but we'd still them be short of middlemen - beyond Prats, Karacan and Vela, we're into kids or square pegs.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:22 am

Charlton Fan site reporting an interest in Amos, please cross all fingers!!

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish ... &time=0523

"The rumour mill was doing overtime on Thursday.

Bolton's former Manchester United keeper, Ben Amos, has been linked with a move to The Valley.

Amos is thought to be a high earner, and the Trotters will be anxious to move his wages off the books.

He had several loan spells during his seven year stint at Old Trafford before joining Bolton on a permanent basis in2015.

Amos spent last season on loan at Cardiff. If his salary is as high as is rumoured, a move to The Valley would likely be on a loan basis."
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

^^ Thinking that Charlton will be operating under the same L1 budgets as everyone else, I'd be delighted if they could actually afford him. He has no major reason to leave for less...

I have my fingers well and truly crossed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am
^^ Thinking that Charlton will be operating under the same L1 budgets as everyone else, I'd be delighted if they could actually afford him. He has no major reason to leave for less...

I have my fingers well and truly crossed.
Best we'll do with Amos is shift a portion of his wages. We'll have to subsidise any move. Which will likely be a loan.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Goalkeeper @Amos_40 has joined @SkyBetLeagueOne outfit @CAFCofficial in a season-long loan deal. #BWFC
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Personally I am delighted to see Amos move to Charlton. The further Amos is away from being selected to play in our goal, the less danger there is to my long term health. And any contribution to his wages has to be good news.

It has certainly gone mysteriously quiet on the salary cap/embargo front, as well as the new signings front, which clearly may be connected. It is kind of in the nature of a BWFC supporter to enjoy being the underdog, and on that basis we are certainly going have a whale of a time this season. Coming twenty-first this season would be a wonderful achievement.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Ken column: confident of getting "three or four" more in before the window shuts in a month. Some talk of Amos as our biggest earner, which is a little rude to reveal, but the tone is less confrontational than of late. Perhaps not uncoincidentally, there's no mention of the embargo.

http://bit.ly/2w9nI1h

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:02 pm

According to Lee Anderson we are signing two that played last night, but confirmed that they wouldn't be for the 1st team

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm

HAHAHAHASIF Amos is our most highly paid player. F*ck me, 8 good games on loan and we throw 4 years and a five-figure P/W contract at him. And we still had Bogdan and Lonergan on the books - more expensive weren't they?

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm
HAHAHAHASIF Amos is our most highly paid player. F*ck me, 8 good games on loan and we throw 4 years and a five-figure P/W contract at him. And we still had Bogdan and Lonergan on the books - more expensive weren't they?

Bogdan had gone by then, and I think that we pretty much offered Amos the contract that Bogdan rejected. I have to admit, I thought that it was a good bit of business at the time.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 am

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm
Ken column: confident of getting "three or four" more in before the window shuts in a month. Some talk of Amos as our biggest earner, which is a little rude to reveal, but the tone is less confrontational than of late. Perhaps not uncoincidentally, there's no mention of the embargo.

In fairness (and I'm not into the Club "outing" what folks earn in this way) we could deduce that iirc from the thing that was reported in the press..

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:59 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm
To be fair, I for one absolutely backed the signing of Amos at the time. He'd had a cracking loan period with us, as did Spearing.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:03 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 am

In fairness (and I'm not into the Club "outing" what folks earn in this way) we could deduce that iirc from the thing that was reported in the press..
Yep, we could, but that's different to officially confirming it. But I understand that if he'd modified it to a safer "one of our top earners" that might have started another witch hunt - and underestimated his own good work, not something on which Ken's keen.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:03 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 am

Yep, we could, but that's different to officially confirming it. But I understand that if he'd modified it to a safer "one of our top earners" that might have started another witch hunt - and underestimated his own good work, not something on which Ken's keen.
As an aside, we seem to have lost last week's horror at Big Ken, commenting on how we played - which sorta suggests it's ok and long as he says we played well... :-)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:42 pm

I wish he'd just STFU and get on with his proper job.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:00 pm

I can't confirm this – I can't see his protected tweets, as I've not penetrated his intimate circle – but I'm told Nixon has tweeted that we're hoping to tie up deals for Bruce Jr and J-Lowe, presumably afore the action starts this week.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:00 pm
I can't confirm this – I can't see his protected tweets, as I've not penetrated his intimate circle – but I'm told Nixon has tweeted that we're hoping to tie up deals for Bruce Jr and J-Lowe, presumably afore the action starts this week.
"Working on Bruce and Lowe"...

Apparently, Rob Atkinson "promising CH from Basingstoke", twins Michael and Charlie Telfer (midfielders) - I'm guessing we're hoping they're identical and it will only count as one signing and wage and the EFL won't notice...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm
Apparently, Rob Atkinson "promising CH from Basingstoke", twins Michael and Charlie Telfer (midfielders) - I'm guessing we're hoping they're identical and it will only count as one signing and wage and the EFL won't notice...
Some confusion here, methinks. Rob Atkinson - not "Ron Atkinson", as I've just typed, perhaps through decades of habit – played for our XI the other week (Stockport?) in a back three. Ball-playing centre-back or left-back. He's a twin - his brother Michael, who can play across midfield, was an unused sub in the same game. Charlie Telfer is a 22yo midfielder who's played for Rangers, Dundee Utd and Scotland U21, although presumably not all at the same time.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:32 pm

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:09 pm
Some confusion here, methinks. Rob Atkinson - not "Ron Atkinson", as I've just typed, perhaps through decades of habit – played for our XI the other week (Stockport?) in a back three. Ball-playing centre-back or left-back. He's a twin - his brother Michael, who can play across midfield, was an unused sub in the same game. Charlie Telfer is a 22yo midfielder who's played for Rangers, Dundee Utd and Scotland U21, although presumably not all at the same time.
I think you may be correct. I was confused reading it and may have recanted it slightly incorrectly...

What he actually says is this.

"Bolton could sign THREE of the Trialist Brothers who have been playing. And working on Bruce and Lowe. All the best...."

And

"Bolton. Want Rob Atkinson. Promising centre half at Basingstoke. Plus twin brother Michael. And Charlie Telfer. Midfield." :-)