The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Promotion Commotion Transfer Thread 2017

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:19 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:13 pm
https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... midfielder

I'm hoping this happens. That would be our midfield sorted imho.
Makes perfect sense if Pratley is out a while. He's the type we need. I do wonder what happened to him as he was on the radar of a few big clubs a while back.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:19 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Makes perfect sense if Pratley is out a while. He's the type we need. I do wonder what happened to him as he was on the radar of a few big clubs a while back.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toumani_Diagouraga

Went to Leeds from Brentford for £600,000 in the 2016 JTW. Signed a 2.5 year deal, but fell out of favour there under Monk last season. Ended up at Ipswich on loan for the 2nd half of the season, and then terminated his Leeds deal by mutual consent at the start of this season. Ended up a free agent and eventually at Plymouth. He was one I was hoping we would sign when we had a terrible midfield in September, but we went for Henry, obviously a good move. If this happens we will have decent cover in that area.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 am
Newcastle Chronicle says Blackburn and Bradford want to borrow Adam Armstrong, "while there is also some interest from the Championship.”
BN now saying similar:

“NEWCASTLE United have recalled Adam Armstrong from his loan spell at Wanderers.
Phil Parkinson had hoped to keep the 20-year-old striker for the second half of the season but sources on Tyneside suggest he will be loaned out in League One, with Bradford City and Blackburn Rovers mentioned as potential candidates.”
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toumani_Diagouraga

Went to Leeds from Brentford for £600,000 in the 2016 JTW. Signed a 2.5 year deal, but fell out of favour there under Monk last season. Ended up at Ipswich on loan for the 2nd half of the season, and then terminated his Leeds deal by mutual consent at the start of this season. Ended up a free agent and eventually at Plymouth. He was one I was hoping we would sign when we had a terrible midfield in September, but we went for Henry, obviously a good move. If this happens we will have decent cover in that area.
Sounds good to me, although Marc Iles has tweeted "Been told there is nothing in the reports linking Wanderers with Plymouth midfielder Toumani Diagouraga."

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:40 pm

I predict this is going to sparser than any previous Transfer Window by a country mile.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Pratley out for 6+ weeks, Henry out for two or three.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... Wanderers/

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 pm

fAAAACk
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:57 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Doesn't look like he's signing for us. Superagent has stated he has signed for Fleetwood

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm

From a couple of Iles tweets and replies, sounds like Sunderland are sniffing round Vela but haven’t bid. More in the paper tomorrow.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Would it? Who the Dickens is he?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:34 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... in_FA_Cup/

No direct quotes but we hope to have the Hammers back by next week's league game, Antonee possibly even before Everton. Vela has missed training all week with a virus. Makeshift midfield permed from Karacan, Derik, Jeff King and Jack Earing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:38 am

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:34 am
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... in_FA_Cup/

No direct quotes but we hope to have the Hammers back by next week's league game, Antonee possibly even before Everton. Vela has missed training all week with a virus. Makeshift midfield permed from Karacan, Derik, Jeff King and Jack Earing.
I've had a virus all week, so has the wife. The dog is singularly unimpressed; he wants his two walks a day regardless and the shopping, both local and in town, and jobs around the house go on, come what may. Snowflake.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 am

I already have a feeling of unease about this TW. Losing Armstrong isn't a disaster, but it is one less squad player for the rest of the season. It sounds like Robinson will be retained which is vital, and Cullen and Burke will be back next week. I would be very happy, and slightly surprised if Burke does come back. Given West Ham are playing youngster Declan Rice in some Premiership games, Burke surely can't be far away from their first team? It wouldn't surprise me if Burke plays in their FA Cup tie against Shrewsbury and impresses and they keep him for the rest of the season.

Our midfield is reaching crisis point again. Pratley will miss 7-8 games minimum, and Henry will miss the Brentford game, and possibly the Ipswich game. Brentford are in good form, and have good players, we will struggle to get anything there regardless, but the Ipswich game is one we should be looking to win, but that won't happen without Henry and Pratley playing. Sign Diagouraga or someone like him Ken!!

Barnsley are reportedly splashing their new found riches on the kind of player we need, 6ft 5in striker Kieffer Moore, who has 13 goals this season for Rotherham on loan from Ipswich, and are interested in £7m Middlesbrough striker (and Canon Slade alumni) Ashley Fletcher on loan, again someone who looks like he would be good cover for Madine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Moore.html

It kind of feels like we are 1-0 down after twelve minutes, and under the kosh, and the crowd are getting restless. Early days in TW terms but issues.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:33 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 am
I already have a feeling of unease about this TW. Losing Armstrong isn't a disaster, but it is one less squad player for the rest of the season. It sounds like Robinson will be retained which is vital, and Cullen and Burke will be back next week. I would be very happy, and slightly surprised if Burke does come back. Given West Ham are playing youngster Declan Rice in some Premiership games, Burke surely can't be far away from their first team? It wouldn't surprise me if Burke plays in their FA Cup tie against Shrewsbury and impresses and they keep him for the rest of the season.

Our midfield is reaching crisis point again. Pratley will miss 7-8 games minimum, and Henry will miss the Brentford game, and possibly the Ipswich game. Brentford are in good form, and have good players, we will struggle to get anything there regardless, but the Ipswich game is one we should be looking to win, but that won't happen without Henry and Pratley playing. Sign Diagouraga or someone like him Ken!!

Barnsley are reportedly splashing their new found riches on the kind of player we need, 6ft 5in striker Kieffer Moore, who has 13 goals this season for Rotherham on loan from Ipswich, and are interested in £7m Middlesbrough striker (and Canon Slade alumni) Ashley Fletcher on loan, again someone who looks like he would be good cover for Madine.

It kind of feels like we are 1-0 down after twelve minutes, and under the kosh, and the crowd are getting restless. Early days in TW terms but issues.
Not to mention the rumours flying around that we're in an embargo again.....rumours the club have yet to comment on!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
I understand the worry, but I'm not arsed about Arma, bless him. Interesting to read that Bradford don't think they could afford the wage percentage Newcastle would ask them to pay. Remember Ken's quotes about the need to shave off the unnecessary wages: “The combined salary of these [unused squad] players adds up to a lot of money and means instead of looking at a striker at £8-12,000 a week we could be looking at a Premier League striker who isn’t figuring for his team or maybe a player at one of the top Championship clubs."

Yes I agree it's one fewer squad player, but did he really bring so much to the table that we should exclude ALF from the matchday squad? Considering he was only ever going to be a wide player and we have Buckley, Ameobi, Morais and Noone, I think we have depth of options there relative to other positions – notably up front, where (according to Iles this morning) we "ideally want an out-and-out striker with physical presence".
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
It sounds like Robinson will be retained which is vital, and Cullen and Burke will be back next week. I would be very happy, and slightly surprised if Burke does come back. Given West Ham are playing youngster Declan Rice in some Premiership games, Burke surely can't be far away from their first team? It wouldn't surprise me if Burke plays in their FA Cup tie against Shrewsbury and impresses and they keep him for the rest of the season.
IMO they'd be slightly daft to be impressed on the strength of one game against third-tier oppoes. He hasn't yet consistently convinced at second-tier level, either here or at Wigan; clubs will want their youth prospects to prove themselves at successively harder levels before throwing them in against Mo Salah. Besides, if their defence needs help I'm sure Moyes will have a few more experienced names in mind: Alfie Mawson has been mentioned.
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Ken's on the record as saying we need a strong midfielder. Karacan can press his claim tomorrow but he'd have to utterly excel to eliminate that particular problem, now exacerbated and accelerated by the injuries to the old geezers.
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

We can't change what other clubs do, and we can't fight in the same market. Yep, keep an eye on them, but we should focus on the things we can change.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:54 am

Mainly agree with that DSB. Though there is a risk that West Ham want to keep Burke or Cullen or both and that could leave the squad short with no guarantee we can get equivalent quality in this window. Mind neither were exactly wanted here a week or two back.

The bigger worry for me is Prats and Henry being out. Can we go and find replacements, at least one is crucial. And some cover for Madine.

And can we avoid selling key players? Its a huge month and I'm not sure which way it will go, I doubt anyone is.

I'm not bothered about Armstrong, though I will say his pace did offer something we don't have elsewhere. If I had a choice I'd rather have kept him over Le Fondre who offers absolutely jack shit to us now.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 am

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am
IMO they'd be slightly daft to be impressed on the strength of one game against third-tier oppoes. He hasn't yet consistently convinced at second-tier level, either here or at Wigan; clubs will want their youth prospects to prove themselves at successively harder levels before throwing them in against Mo Salah. Besides, if their defence needs help I'm sure Moyes will have a few more experienced names in mind: Alfie Mawson has been mentioned.
Not sure DSB. He was outstanding against Hull, and has the ability to play in a defence against some of the lower Premiership teams I think. And it seems they only currently have Reid and Ogbonna has recognized CH's. They have been playing Cresswell in there when they have gone 3-5-2, and at times young Rice. At the very least, Burke would be a decent option on the bench. I hope Moyes agrees with you :)
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am
We can't change what other clubs do, and we can't fight in the same market. Yep, keep an eye on them, but we should focus on the things we can change.
Agree, but there is a finite amount of players out there that fit the bill, and the two Barnsley are after are precisely the type we need if we are to get good cover for Madine, which unless we get really lucky and he stays fit and in form for the next 20 games is crucial. I am not necessarily expecting us to find £750k for a fee (though really if we are fully functioning Championship club, it is surely a decent investment, but as BWFCI alludes to we probably aren't), but Fletcher was one of the names I thought of when I was thinking who we might go for.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:37 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 am
(Burke) was outstanding against Hull, and has the ability to play in a defence against some of the lower Premiership teams I think. And it seems they only currently have Reid and Ogbonna has recognized CH's. They have been playing Cresswell in there when they have gone 3-5-2, and at times young Rice. At the very least, Burke would be a decent option on the bench. I hope Moyes agrees with you :)
There's James Collins, and Jose Fonte is expected back in a fortnight. I see what you mean but with respect, Brizzle, you're citing one game against a team which is currently sliding into the Third Division – I hardly think there'll be red lights flashing at the Ammers Academy. While managers might take a punt on attackers, they tend to want defenders to prove themselves, and he just hasn't yet at this level. After playing in our first nine league games (in which we garnered two points from 27) he's been dropped and kept out of the first team by David Wheater and Mark Beevers; he's been unused for 12 of the last 17 games. Add in that he only appeared in 10 of relegated Wigan's 46 league games last season - he struggled with injury, admittedly, but even when fit tended to be used at right-back - and this is hardly the CV of a lad who's bursting into a Premier League line-up.

Personally I like him as a Bolton player and think he could end up in the Premier League, but imagine being a West Ham fan battling relegation; if they're truly short of defenders, would they be delighted to rely on a kid who's been on Bolton's bench? It'd be like us a couple of years ago being told "It's alright, Cian Bolger's coming back from Colchester"... :D

As I say, you might be right and it's very hard to predict what will happen with variables like Moyes, Gold, Sullivan and Brady involved. But my strong feeling is that he won't play a league minute for West Ham this season. He's 21
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:06 am
there is a finite amount of players out there that fit the bill, and the two Barnsley are after are precisely the type we need if we are to get good cover for Madine, which unless we get really lucky and he stays fit and in form for the next 20 games is crucial. I am not necessarily expecting us to find £750k for a fee (though really if we are fully functioning Championship club, it is surely a decent investment, but as BWFCI alludes to we probably aren't), but Fletcher was one of the names I thought of when I was thinking who we might go for.
Yeah, I agree. I read somewhere in the BN this morning that it's loans only rather than a "permanent" signing. Which, in truth, might give us a puncher's chance if Parky can persuade the player involved - Fletcher, for instance, might rather come home for a few months than be loaned out to another new town.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am

Bolton fan too, I think.

Though not enough to stop him signing for United, mind.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:54 am
can we avoid selling key players? Its a huge month and I'm not sure which way it will go, I doubt anyone is.
That's the big question, in comparison to which worrying over Reece Burke seems trivial. Ken and PP have certainly made the right noises about wanting to keep their best players; that can always be a negotiating tool, but it also raises the chance of fan disapproval if stars do leave.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Though there is a risk that West Ham want to keep Burke or Cullen or both and that could leave the squad short with no guarantee we can get equivalent quality in this window. Mind neither were exactly wanted here a week or two back.
With promising kids, these things are fluid. Between September and January some might prove themselves so obviously beyond U23 football that big clubs want them to get real-men experience, so it's a ring-round of the managers - or rather academy managers, like Parky's mate at West Ham - to see who might be productively thrown into a second-tier battle. If the Hammers want to keep those two on board (which I doubt) or send them elsewhere (more likely IMO, as per Arma/Toon) then we just have to look elsewhere, it's not like they're the only impressive kids in big academies. Had we been in this situation/division last year, we might have borrowed Mason Holgate from Everton or Joe Gomez from Liverpool.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The bigger worry for me is Prats and Henry being out. Can we go and find replacements, at least one is crucial. And some cover for Madine.
Ken (and presumably Parky's backroom team) was already prioritising exactly those positions before the double injury, so I'm sure it hasn't got any less urgent.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I'm not bothered about Armstrong, though I will say his pace did offer something we don't have elsewhere. If I had a choice I'd rather have kept him over Le Fondre who offers absolutely jack shit to us now.
You don't have that choice, and neither do we, having signed a permanent contract with ALF. I wonder how much of Ken's "unused players" sermons are about him; you'd imagine he knows our main system doesn't suit him, but then he seems to think Man City's midfield is stuffed with six-foot box-to-boxers...