Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should BWFC sack Phil Parkinson?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 69

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Re: Should Phil Parkinson be sacked?

Post by nelson66 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Just changed my vote too.....
Taxi for Parky
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm

No then and no now. He knows how to get us out of Division 3 :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Today was it for me too. Time to go
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:40 pm

twilight wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:37 pm
Sorry..I voted yes. We know all our problems off the pitch, no money, transfer embargo etc etc BUT, we could at least try and be a compact unit, make it difficult for the opposition to get down our half of the pitch. We are just an absolute shambles in midfield and toothless up front, and it ends with Parkinson I'm afraid, its a result business and we need investment and at least need to look competitive on the pitch
My sept 2017 quote...sound familiar? The writings been on the wall all season

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm
No then and no now. He knows how to get us out of Division 3 :)
Who's going to be there to witness it? we will have no fans left!!

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:16 pm

It's ok saying he knows how to take us up, but he don't know how to keep the team there. Sack him.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Questions, questions. If we should be lucky enough to stay in this league, Parky will have done a job against massive odds. It sticks out so far that nobody needs to ask that not being able to score goals is just as much our downfall as having them scored against us. Parky was dealt a Wild Bill Hickock hand and no funds to play it with from the off this season.. So he got it wrong and it wasn't for wanting it that way, which manager does that? He tried. His cards weren't good enough to compete and he doesn't play in the games. Bottom line; we need some better players.

What he isn't for me, is the man to take us forward from here and for that we need a manager with fire in his belly. Be a gentleman at home and with the family; be an animal at the club. Football is a rat race with no quarter. Kevin Nolan is a good shout for me, but even he will need a team to achieve anything and that needs funds. Mick Mac or Tony Pullis I've never liked, but it isn't a personality contest and they have some desire and fire. Either, or similar is what we need. I'd have Kev Nolan with Kevin Davies as under manager. They would be my choice.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:58 pm

I was a no and am now an undecided. Generally I think he's done OK (low expectations this season), but the last few weeks has felt like he's lost the plot. I'm leaning towards get rid, but will allow a little reflection before looking for the bedsheets (they're in the shipping container, somewhere at sea).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:50 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:19 pm
Back then, 12 voted yes, 34 no. Now?
...it's 20 v 29.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:58 pm
I was a no and am now an undecided. Generally I think he's done OK (low expectations this season), but the last few weeks has felt like he's lost the plot. I'm leaning towards get rid, but will allow a little reflection before looking for the bedsheets (they're in the shipping container, somewhere at sea).
It does seem like he has lost the plot but I would imagine that's the same with some of the players. Personally I feel that Parkinson's strengths far outweigh his weaknesses and given what he has done with such limited resources and turbulent times I would like to see him stay on. We don't get rid of players because a bad run of form so lets not do the same with a manager.

Regardless of whether Parkinson manages to keep us up I would like to see him at the club next season.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:51 am

Has he been sacked yet ?

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:34 am

I would have replaced him after we got promoted. His record spoke for itself - essentially a lower division manager with no evidence he could mentally adjust to life in the Championship.
Whilst some may say that would have been unfair, it was obvious to me that the lack of resources at the club meant that we needed a manager who could bring the existing squad together and motivate them to get results. It seems to me that everything we have seen since then indicates that he places no value in creating a team which plays for each other but like to divide by having favourites and freezing others out.
He has to go. I like the suggestion of giving David Lee the opportunity - should he wish to take it - to take on the manager's role.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:34 am
I would have replaced him after we got promoted. His record spoke for itself - essentially a lower division manager with no evidence he could mentally adjust to life in the Championship.
Whilst some may say that would have been unfair, it was obvious to me that the lack of resources at the club meant that we needed a manager who could bring the existing squad together and motivate them to get results. It seems to me that everything we have seen since then indicates that he places no value in creating a team which plays for each other but like to divide by having favourites and freezing others out.
He has to go. I like the suggestion of giving David Lee the opportunity - should he wish to take it - to take on the manager's role.
That would've been madness. You can argue he has brought the team together but has yet been unable to get things fully finished.

For all we know the problems behind the players performances might be something completely out of Parkinson's hands, e.g. wage disputes.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:16 am

Mar wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 am
bedwetter2 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:34 am
That would've been madness. You can argue he has brought the team together but has yet been unable to get things fully finished.

For all we know the problems behind the players performances might be something completely out of Parkinson's hands, e.g. wage disputes.
So who made him start with 7 defensive minded players yesterday, with a team so defensive yet again we didn't even have a single shot on target - is that not Parkinson's fault.

As a manager he should know his players - he should be close enough to the players to gauge which players may have been affected by contact issues (if any at all), and which will run through brick walls & try for 90 + mins - most fans had a good idea about how the game would pan out as soon as the team was announced at 2pm, why did Parkinson not see that.

Keep chopping & changing like he has is madness....just listen to him talk, its hardly motivational.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Careful now – if we request a motivational manager who loves to attack, we know where that goes...
download.jpg
download.jpg (6.99 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
...but obviously there's a happy medium, and I'm not talking about Derek Acorah.

I dunno, I think Parky's still getting some unfair jibes. I don't think he can be castigated on one hand for having favourites and freezing people out while also on the other for having a bingo machine. That's not to say I think his selections have always been wise, and yesterday's sickened me. But let's just say he certainly hasn't sat on his hands.

However, yesterday, he reverted to almost caricaturable type by going safety-first against a team who've been pummelled from pillar to post all season. And what's worse is that it wasn't just the wrong decision tactically: it was the wrong ethos, one which will only serve to isolate him from the supporters. The BN"s fan-writer Alan Houghton sums it up:

"It was the most spineless, gutless and clueless performance it has been my misfortune to witness. Where was the passion? Where was the commitment? Where was the spirit? Only one team wanted this match and they were in yellow (...) We can accept results, whatever they are, if we feel the team have given their all. We expected the team to have a go and we ended up losing this match with hardly a whimper."

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... nderers_0/

As the bloke at the beginning of the post shows, "going for it" isn't always the answer. But fans will much more easily accept a defeat with spirit and attacking intent than a meek inglorious surrender. Parky needs to note that next week against a Forest side who won't be easy to break down: they've just recorded their 6th and 7th clean sheets in 19 league games under Karanka, during which they've failed to score themselves 13 times. That's their business; Ken's business plan presumably relies on us staying up – and it'll be interesting to hear the tone of his next column.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:17 pm

Saying nothing that every fan doens't already know, but de-facto is: There are 24 managers in the Championship. Some have plenty money to spend on players, some have some, and we had/have none at all. Not that much of a surprise after court and Inland Revenue attacks that a club of loan and low wage ( if living in big houses and driving prestige cars can ever be considered low-wage) free transfers players, in enormous debt and the club itself sold for the sum of one pound should be in danger of relegation. Motivation must be at an all time low both for players and manager. Despite all this, the main relevant fact for our current staus quo is that we're just not good enough to compete consistently in this league and that if we don't win our next game and Barnsley and Burton do, that next game will be our last game in the Championship, and not an opinion in the world can change that.

Burton and Barnsley must lose, we must win. The rest only goes in the "to be continued" if that happens. As how best to spend the next six days, I'd offer the suggestion of a trip to Lourdes.

Amen.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:30 pm

It's infuriating that he doesn't know when to go on the attack. I wonder whether our start to the season is still playing on his mind - a lack of defensive midfielders in the team was undoubtedly a major reason behind our nightmare beginning - but since then he's insisted on playing them regardless of current form, regardless of opposition, regardless of required results. And when he does that, he leaves us with only the flaky Ameobi and the ever-willing but physically-challenged ALF as attacking and creative outlets.

"Bingo Machine" is the only way to describe Parkinson's team selections since the international break. Back four, back three, wing backs, full backs, midfield three, midfield five. Wheater, Burke, Dervite, Flanagan, Little, Robinson, Taylor, Vela, Pratley, Karacan, Derik, Noone, Morais, Buckley - all have been in and out of the team seemingly regardless of previous form or performances. The only constants have been;
Alnwick (understandable, given his form - but recently has seemed more susceptible to the mistakes expected of a traditionally nomadic keeper)
Ameobi (again, understandable, considering that he's the only unpredictable player we have)
ALF (pretty much our only striking option, but crying out for a partner)
Henry (surely based only off early season form, because he's been very poor recently)
Beevers (who has been woeful for long periods)

And the flip side of that are players who have been frozen out inexplicably. Clough, Walker, Charsley, even Jeff King and Connor Hall, to a certain extent. I get that we don't see the players in training, but surely these players aren't just sitting on their arses?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:36 pm

What about Little....he was playing well earlier in the season

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:12 pm

In an aside earlier this week, Iles said that Parky sees Little more as a wingback than a full-back. Telling: defenders are for defending. Do Not Pass Go.

From what I saw of Charsley, he was alright but hardly Pele. Jeff King might turn into a lower-division player but he's not as good as the players Parky's picked should have been.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:36 pm
What about Little....he was playing well earlier in the season
This is one of the key factors for me. Little playing really well and we were winning, Flanagan comes in and we stop playing well and he persists with Flanagan, almost as if he's fallen out with Little after he got sent off. It's not like Little has been brilliant since being back in the side but I would've thought he would've stuck with the players that he was doing well with.