Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:23 pm
Garner was piss poor at a couple of clubs, but has generally had a very solid career. Remains to be seen how badly that fractured skull has affected him, but given that he's seen as having had a poor season at Ipswich and still has 1 in 3 I'd welcome him. Another local lad too, along with Lowe. Should see them settle very quickly.

Watched his Preston highlights, got real talent. Nuggety, busy and combatative (gets more yellows than goals) player that buries the ball in the corners.

Fox in the box, very good header for short-ish (we have Oz now) striker and good longshot as well. In the championship 32 goals (at 1 goal every 368 minutes) and 15 assists along with 39 yellows and 2 reds.

If he was 26 and didn't have fractured skull I'd snap him up... On A FREE. But 30, albeit a whole year off last year, and paying a substsntial fee... Hmm....
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am

Were he 26 and on a free we'd get nowhere near him.

What can (hopefully) be taken from this is that we are actively in the hunt for a proper centre forward. I do wonder how we are intending to play, though. Are we sticking with one up top or moving to a two? Donaldson, Alf + another experienced striker would indicate we might look to play 2 strikers fairly often, given that we are short on funds and have lads on pro deals who will need games.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:08 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am
Were he 26 and on a free we'd get nowhere near him.

What can (hopefully) be taken from this is that we are actively in the hunt for a proper centre forward. I do wonder how we are intending to play, though. Are we sticking with one up top or moving to a two?

Donaldson, Alf + another experienced striker would indicate we might look to play 2 strikers fairly often, given that we are short on funds and have lads on pro deals who will need games.

If we can't get away with my 4-2-4-1, I reckon 4-2-3-1 away and something more attacking at home. 4-3-3?

Joao, Oz, Alf, Garner are all more AMs than out-and-out wingers or target strikers. Even Donaldson is more leggy and late arriving than a target man.
Or an ATTACKING 4-1-3-2?

--------------Alnwick---------------
Little----Whea---vers----Taylor
---------------Lowe -----------------
SAmeobi-----Vela/Oz------J.Tex/Oz
-----------ALF-----Oz/Garner--------

Bench: Garner, Donaldson, Turner, Darby, CB
Last edited by mullayo on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:11 am

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... -wolves-fl

Cristian Ronaldo is buying us!? He'd be rich enough... Or his agent is anyway...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:27 am

Never in a million years are Garner and Alf attacking mids. They're just about the most strikery strikers who'll ever strike.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:34 am

Miguel Veloso is available on a free. Listed as a Defensive Midfielder and also a client of Jorge Mendes
Pfffft.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:54 am

We've been trying to get Miguel Veloso to Bolton for about 10 years, if you buy the rumours. If it finally happened I'd probably die laughing.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:18 am

Me too, just think it's funny that if this Mendes story has any credibility (which I don't think it has) we'd have the option of some pretty cracking players, a la Wolves
Pfffft.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:07 pm

I don't trust any agent as far as I can throw them, including the current owner. I've nothing against anyone, but nothing will get me "believing" until everything is signed and official. Mendes or anyone else, if they bring sensible investment, is welcome. I'll not hold my breath.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:45 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... by-bolton/

Parky talking up Amos but he's crying inside. Translation: "Take him please I beg you, for the love of all that's holy..."

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:36 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... ning-camp/

Now Ily Billy is saying no new signings until THIS Saturday.

As David Brent would say: This has been a wash out, none of best people have turned up

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:20 am

If Amos wasn't on (for us) a huge deal I think he'd be there pushing for a starting spot again. Whatever went on with him mentally, he's not a bad player.

As for signings and people "jetting in" for trials, I love a bit of speculation but I'll wait for the shirt and smiles pictures before getting at all excited. Glad to see foreign players on the list of links, though. For me we need 4-5 more first team players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:16 am

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:36 am

As David Brent would say: This has been a wash out, none of best people have turned up
Think you're reading something that isn't there.

Says we hope to have more new faces "by Saturday". That means they hope to sign some more this week. We already have 3 new faces and its only just July.

Chill.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:16 am
mullayo wrote:

Says we hope to have more new faces "by Saturday". That means they hope to sign some more this week. We already have 3 new faces and its only just July.

Chill.
Possibly more like 5. Johnson and Pritchard are training with the first team, it seems.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:28 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:25 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
mullayo wrote:

Chill.
Possibly more like 5. Johnson and Pritchard are training with the first team, it seems.
Forgive my ignorance here, but who?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Chill.
No, just reminding everyone what was actually written last week:
Wanderers are looking to bolster their squad with a couple of new signings closer to home by the weekend
With no new signings "by the weekend" or over the weekend I was expecting some action this early doors this week. Maybe they passed on big mystery guy cause he weren't fit enough?

And Chiori Johnson fullback? And Joe Pritchard lightweight mid from Tottenham. Makeweight 20-somethings, filling the squad until better players arrive I assume.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 am

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:41 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Chill.
No just reminding everyone what was actually written last week:
Wanderers are looking to bolster their squad with a couple of new signings closer to home by the weekend

And Chiori Johnson fullback? And Joe Pritchard lightweight mid from Tottenham. Makeweight 20-somethings, filling the squad until better players arrive I assume.
Yeah, but things change. And given it was a throwaway line with little to no information I don't think much should be read into it.

Signings take time, I'm sure they've got their targets lined up and behind the scenes deals will be lined up and ready. But still a lot of people are involved in the process so things take time.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 am

Yeah, but things change. And given it was a throwaway line with little to no information I don't think much should be read into it.

Signings take time, I'm sure they've got their targets lined up and behind the scenes deals will be lined up and ready. But still a lot of people are involved in the process so things take time.
Yeah, I'm easily bored and excitable so I clung to that sentence like a virgin on a promise ... And then Hope (Akpan) appeared at training, someone else saw Ethan Ebanks-Landell (strangely in the same photo)... Others probably saw Bigfoot or Nessie... The tension was ratcheting up... And now nothing, they're just going to pretend it never happened... But I remember!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am

Both Johnson and Pritchard were well regarded by their clubs until they got injuries. Arsenal and Spurs both underwent changes to their academy management after those players joined and they went from on the verges of a first team chance in the cups to outsiders.

I assume they're in for the U23s, but seeing them in the team this season wouldn't surprise me. I don't see us signing anyone that has no chance of getting a game, we've no spare cash for that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:42 am

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:20 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:44 am

Yeah, I'm easily bored and excitable so I clung to that sentence like a virgin on a promise ... And then Hope (Akpan) appeared at training, someone else saw Ethan Ebanks-Landell (strangely in the same photo)... Others probably saw Bigfoot or Nessie... The tension was ratcheting up... And now nothing, they're just going to pretend it never happened... But I remember!
Truth is it could have been anybody. Probably someone on trial. Perhaps someone just being offered the chance to train to keep fit.

But still. Remember that the club could sign players tomorrow, but they will be constantly weighing up options and evaluating deals. Sometimes you don't just jump in for target C, because target A might suddenly be available and is a better player.

We seem to finally be at the point where we're financially stable enough to have SOME choice rather than just having to take whoever is cheap enough and on offer.