Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:06 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:41 am
mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 am
http://www.footymad.com/hibernian/news/ ... ndex.shtml

Lennon and Hibs after ALF!
Can't see it happening.

The thing with le Fondre is, I still can't work out how we'll be able to find him a starting place. It's common knowledge that we're trying to spend what little money we have on a centre-forward, and judging by the names rumoured, whoever we sign will be of the target man mould that Parky's so keen on. This, along with the signings that we've made to date, suggests to me that we're setting up to play the same 4-2-3-1 that's been good for us but with players of an improved standard, and with added creativity now Oztumer's in there.

So it all depends on how happy le Fondre is to go through a repeat of last season, and I think it's safe to say that the answer to that is "not very".
We have a skeleton squad and I don't see him getting us a decent fee from Hibs. You'd just loan him away for wages?
I think a smart player like him would thrive in our new wing-based attack.
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:31 am

Hibs wouldn't be offering much, you'd think. It'd be a good move for Alf. He'd play more and score loads in Scotland. He's very much Plan B here.

Whether it'd be a good thing or not depends on PP and what he thinks could be done with the cash. I like Alf and think he's a good option to have, but he doesn't fit the style of play under PP currently and so he is expendable. There's actually no player I'd be worried about selling at the moment, so long as the money was reinvested.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:44 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:31 am
Hibs wouldn't be offering much, you'd think. It'd be a good move for Alf. He'd play more and score loads in Scotland. He's very much Plan B here.

Whether it'd be a good thing or not depends on PP and what he thinks could be done with the cash. I like Alf and think he's a good option to have, but he doesn't fit the style of play under PP currently and so he is expendable. There's actually no player I'd be worried about selling at the moment, so long as the money was reinvested.
A month ago I'd agree but "At the moment" with a week to go I'm worried they wouldn't get a replacement.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 am

Can't see ALF starting and so if he's thrown on as an impact sub, seems we have a ready made replacement in Hall. Clearly far less proven so I guess it comes down to wages and whether our 3rd choice is so much better than our 4th choice as to be worth it.

This all presupposes we get a main man no9 but tbh if we don't this is all irrelevant anyway...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 am

Mark Milligan midfielder, 32, Convict. According to LOVS

The Shackle-Dragger has spent his entire career playing in Oz, Asia and the middle east, most notably for Newcastle Jets, Shanghai Shenhua and Melbourne Victory.

He’s also played 71 times for Australia, including all their games at the World Cup in Russia. We've been after him for a year or so. Article in The Sun on June 27, 2017.

HOWEVER, HIS AGENT IS UNIMPRESSED: “There has been talk about Bolton Wanderers wanting to do something but at this stage they’re having some problems with their financial situation,” Farah told AAP.

“So from Millsy’s perspective, unless they’re able to be in a better position financially I don’t think he’d be wanting to take any risks with his last few years of his career.”

As an Aussie he'll be great at cheating and at least fit after appearing at World Cup. GOD knows we need another mid.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm more concerned at his agents comments. How many others are warning their clients off us? I was hoping the club's latest statement and the signing of Wildschutt had put all that to bed
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Milligan's played his entire career as a centre mid, and been pretty average I would say. When he was linked last year with us, I wasn't impressed.

But he played all 3 games at the WC as a centre back, and was damn good. Apparently his first games ever in that position. Against the WC winners, he was excellent, likewise vs Denmark.

Could start either position for us, but would prefer him as a centre back. Right now, I'd take him.

Decent pace for his age, and will run all day.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:32 pm

We've been linked to Miquel Nelom, who I mentioned earlier in the thread as being someone I'd hope we'd look at. Very good footballer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:33 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm
Milligan's played his entire career as a centre mid, and been pretty average I would say. When he was linked last year with us, I wasn't impressed.

But he played all 3 games at the WC as a centre back, and was damn good. Apparently his first games ever in that position. Against the WC winners, he was excellent, likewise vs Denmark.

Could start either position for us, but would prefer him as a centre back. Right now, I'd take him.

Decent pace for his age, and will run all day.
I'd have concerns about a 5'10" centre back in the Championship, but his versatility is a big deal. I'd happily take him at the club.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Trent Sainsbury would be the Australia centre back to get (was on loan at Inter Milan), but looks to be heading to QPR or Villa.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:08 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:13 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:46 pm
what with being a bit busy just now I didn't know we'd signed anybody, yet Isles is saying that this Dutch fella's our fifth signing.

Can someone do me a favour and point me in the direction of who we've signed and what it is that they do please?

Very much obliged.
Just to add to the full brief you've already had from the other chaps, I find the Wiki page for the season quite handy for keeping track of transfers. Shows you the outs as well as the ins, and obviously links off to the player pages, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018-19_B ... .C._season
Cheers Chaps.

Ah yes, I knew about Donaldson but he'd slipped my mind.

That's a great link, Fella. I didn't know that page existed. Many thanks
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:57 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:56 pm
Trent Sainsbury would be the Australia centre back to get (was on loan at Inter Milan), but looks to be heading to QPR or Villa.
Trouble there is that he was bought as an investment by his current club. So you're looking at all his wages, plus a sizeable fee and then if you want to keep him they'll want a lot more. Chinese loan farms are going to become an issue in the next 10 years, I think.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:32 pm
We've been linked to Miquel Nelom, who I mentioned earlier in the thread as being someone I'd hope we'd look at. Very good footballer.
Need a left back. He's free. He's 27. He can speak dutch to Wildchild. Sign him up Ken.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Missed one: Dujon Sterling

Chelsea's latest ascending star has revealed he came close to signing for Bolton, but ultimately signed with League One newcomers Coventry City.
The 18 year-old is described as having "staggering speed" and can play anywhere on the right. The 5ft 11in wingback has played twice for Chelsea seniors and has represented England up to U19 level.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:03 pm

So after the Girona game they're going to make decisions on Walker, Hobbs, Cotterill, O'Neil etc.?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:08 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:03 pm
So after the Girona game they're going to make decisions on Walker, Hobbs, Cotterill, O'Neil etc.?
I'd be shocked if Cotterill was still on a for a deal, unless Buckley or Noone are leaving.

Walker, Hobbs and O'Neil are all viable, you'd think. I'm hoping we might see a surprise face or two as well.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Marc Iles hinting at Stephen Ireland coming in.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:17 pm
How? A player from a former premier league team?
I know you wanted a passer with vision Ghost so he's right up your alley but what formation do you see fitting him in?
And what about Ozzy? Can he defend, tackle, header etc.?

------------------Alnwick------------------------
-------------Whe---------Evers---------------
Olki---------Lowe-----Ireland------Antonee
------Ameobi-----Ozzy------Wildschut------
---------------------ALF-------------------------

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:44 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:17 pm
How? A player from a former premier league team?
I know you wanted a passer with vision Ghost so he's right up your alley but what formation do you see fitting him in?
And what about Ozzy? Can he defend, tackle, header etc.?

------------------Alnwick------------------------
-------------Whe---------Evers---------------
Olki---------Lowe-----Ireland------Antonee
------Ameobi-----Ozzy------Wildschut------
---------------------ALF-------------------------
Posted a picture of Ireland and said he could be in a Bolton shirt soon. Nixon says a deal is close.

I assume Ireland would compete with Vela for a place. Ozzy is what a football writer would call "tenacious." He'll follow people if he loses the ball, but he's not in any way defensive from anything I've seen or heard. Proper number 10.

I don't see the transfers we're doing thus far pointing as anything other than 4-3-3, but I suppose that could change. Ireland would be a superb signing in that system, if he has recovered from that broken leg. He's hardly played since that injury and I've have real doubts about him hitting any kind of level.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:23 pm

IDK about Ireland rather have the Aussie I reckon

Old, 32 next month
Slow,
Can't head, 5ft 9in
Can't defend,
Not a goalscorer:19 goals in 245 games
Not an assist maker: 27 assists in 245 games