Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Posted a picture of Ireland and said he could be in a Bolton shirt soon. Nixon says a deal is close.

I assume Ireland would compete with Vela for a place. Ozzy is what a football writer would call "tenacious." He'll follow people if he loses the ball, but he's not in any way defensive from anything I've seen or heard. Proper number 10.

I don't see the transfers we're doing thus far pointing as anything other than 4-3-3, but I suppose that could change. Ireland would be a superb signing in that system, if he has recovered from that broken leg. He's hardly played since that injury and I've have real doubts about him hitting any kind of level.
------------------Alnwick------------------------
Olki----------Whe---------Evers-------Antonee
--------Ireland-----Lowe-----Ozzy-------------
--------Ameobi----ALF-----Wildschut----
--------------------------------------------
Like this clog the mid - let Lowe hack and Ozzy be tenacious and Ireland nuisance value. Overlapping fullbacks and attacking dribbling wingers?
I'd like to see Ireland play the Girona game before I signed him.
Last edited by mullayo on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What could've happened; did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm

Ref the Alf comments; what we need more than any other single thing is somebody to score goals. Nothing else, systems, set ups or superstars can hide the fact that goals are what we didn't have last season (two in five minutes last game don't count because they are in the "miracle" category :wink: . Whatever else Alf does, (and he's a grafter) get the ball to him in the box and he can score goals and, with better quality players around him I reckon he'll do that. In his own way he's the best we've had at that since Klasnic. Don't let him go.

Oh, and as for agents, all they care about is their bank balances. xxxx em, I'd ban the lot of them. .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:23 pm
IDK about Ireland rather have the Aussie I reckon

Old, 32 next month
Slow,
Can't head, 5ft 9in
Can't defend,
Not a goalscorer:19 goals in 245 games
Not an assist maker: 27 assists in 245 games
Massive wages $32.5K GBP
Problem child
Injury problems horrific leg break in 2016
Younger than Milligan and about as quick. Better goal and assist rates. In addition he's played at a top level his whole career, whereas Milligan has never played in a proper league. They are totally different players and not really comparable.

All our possible midfield signings are "issues" players and I have reservations about them all.

I'd like to have one more "decent age" midfielder in, but if our choices are Milligan, Ireland and O'Neil then it depends what they're for. Milligan and Ireland could both be excellent signings, but come with major caveats.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm
Ref the Alf comments; what we need more than any other single thing is somebody to score goals. Nothing else, systems, set ups or superstars can hide the fact that goals are what we didn't have last season (two in five minutes last game don't count because they are in the "miracle" category :wink: . Whatever else Alf does, (and he's a grafter) get the ball to him in the box and he can score goals and, with better quality players around him I reckon he'll do that. In his own way he's the best we've had at that since Klasnic. Don't let him go.

Oh, and as for agents, all they care about is their bank balances. xxxx em, I'd ban the lot of them. .
I'm with you Tango. With Wildchild, Oz, Ireland and SAmeobi screaming about it will just give ALF more opportunities to take advantage of. Smart player needs minutes. Our attack is going to be dribbling anyway not aerial. Got two of the highest dribbles per game players in the league. Lots more longshots half-saved for ALF to pounce on.

I also agree about goals. Like Moneyball. Why I don't mind Ozzy - he has goals in his tiny body. An extra six or seven goals this season and we're safe.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:09 pm

I rate Alf. Been a fan of his since he was at Stockport. However, he's never a lone striker and it looks more and more likely that we intend to play 4-3-3. 20 or 30 years ago I think Alf is a top division poacher in a 4-4-2; but nobody plays like that anymore. I'd like to keep him. I think he's a superb threat to have on the bench - clearly not where he wants to be, though.

I could see Alf fancying a crack at Scotland. He could score for fun up there for 3-4 years and start almost every game. "Old fashioned" 4-4-2s are still going up there and he'd thrive, just like Kris Boyd does.

You'd have to build the team around Alf this season for it to work and we're not. Everything we are doing says we want a target man.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 pm
mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:23 pm
IDK about Ireland rather have the Aussie I reckon

Old, 32 next month
Slow,
Can't head, 5ft 9in
Can't defend,
Not a goalscorer:19 goals in 245 games
Not an assist maker: 27 assists in 245 games
Massive wages $32.5K GBP
Problem child
Injury problems horrific leg break in 2016
Younger than Milligan and about as quick. Better goal and assist rates. In addition he's played at a top level his whole career, whereas Milligan has never played in a proper league. They are totally different players and not really comparable.

All our possible midfield signings are "issues" players and I have reservations about them all.

I'd like to have one more "decent age" midfielder in, but if our choices are Milligan, Ireland and O'Neil then it depends what they're for. Milligan and Ireland could both be excellent signings, but come with major caveats.
Ireland gets you a goal and an assist in every 13 or so games (at his average mins of 62). ALF has 12 goals in 34 Premier League starts at 6.5 times Ireland's rate. Milligan scores goals at almost 2 to one on Ireland albeit at a lower level but he plays deeper and it's not his job. It is Ireland's.

I'm betting a defensive mid will likely save more than two goals in the same span of 13 games.
Miligan is one year older but World Cup level fit.
He is also faster,
5cm taller,
stronger 12kg heavier,
Can head the ball
Can tackle, mark and be an all around better defender
He will be a lot cheaper
He will bring grit, toughness and leadership to the club. Ireland has a flash car.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I think Parky is morphing into Ossie Ardiles! Ireland would add some more quality and creativity, but what about the defence, particularly defensive midfield? I hope we have a couple more lined up for this position, and central defence, because at this moment we are going to concede three goals per game.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:34 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Ireland gets you a goal and an assist in every 13 or so games (at his average mins of 62). ALF has 12 goals in 34 Premier League starts at 6.5 times Ireland's rate. Milligan scores goals at almost 2 to one on Ireland albeit at a lower level but he plays deeper and it's not his job. It is Ireland's.

I'm betting a defensive mid will likely save more than two goals in the same span of 13 games.
Miligan is one year older but World Cup level fit.
He is also faster,
5cm taller,
stronger 12kg heavier,
Can head the ball
Can tackle, mark and be an all around better defender
He will be a lot cheaper
He will bring grit, toughness and leadership to the club. Ireland has a flash car.
I'm a bit lost with some of the guesswork you're doing here. Having watched Ireland and Milligan both play (Milligan far less than Ireland, obviously), I don't see Milligan and Ireland as much different in terms of pace. Do you have some kind of statistical comparison from a source somewhere? Again, we are comparing apples and oranges here. Milligan is a defensive, utility mid. Ireland is a midfielder whose game has always been about operating and retaining the ball in the middle third of the pitch. He's a passing, give-and-go player.

Of course Milligan is likely to be better at defending, that's his role. If you want us to sign a defensive midfielder, then by all means say Milligan is your man. We have three midfield slots, though, and they can't all be for defensive players (unless you're Gary Megson).

On Milligan being much cheaper, I can't say I'm convinced. Ireland has shopped himself around looking for a contract and is now willing to come in, it seems, on trial. Milligan just had a solid World Cup showing and reported has a number of offers but would prefer England. If anything, I'd say Ireland is likely to be cheaper.

Fitness is my big concern with Ireland. That'll be up to the coaches and medical team. He had injury issues before he broke his leg (and wasn't in good form) and I think he's only played a couple of games in 2 years. That's the huge question mark over him and also why he'd likely not cost a lot.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:41 pm

I would like to see us sign 2 more mids, as it's where I see the least depth if we are playing with 3 in there. For me, it needn't necessarily be either Milligan or Ireland (add in any names you fancy here, as it's all speculation) - both together would fit.

The reason I'd really want Milligan is that he can play right across the back as well.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:41 pm
I would like to see us sign 2 more mids, as it's where I see the least depth if we are playing with 3 in there. For me, it needn't necessarily be either Milligan or Ireland (add in any names you fancy here, as it's all speculation) - both together would fit.

The reason I'd really want Milligan is that he can play right across the back as well.
I think that its a shoe in that we will sign Hobbs at CB....

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:51 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:46 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

We still need to add versatility to the squad, to my mind anyway. Been a while since we had a decent utility man. If we got Hobbs we'd have 3 experienced CBs, one with a major injury history. We'd still need cover over and above the youth lads.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:51 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

We still need to add versatility to the squad, to my mind anyway. Been a while since we had a decent utility man. If we got Hobbs we'd have 3 experienced CBs, one with a major injury history. We'd still need cover over and above the youth lads.
I totally agree....even if we sign Ireland & Hobbs we would still need another CB, LB, midfielder, striker & goalkeeper....however, I suspect at least 2 or 3 of these would be loans, I suspect the club are chasing Everton to get Robinson back on loan.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:51 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I totally agree....even if we sign Ireland & Hobbs we would still need another CB, LB, midfielder, striker & goalkeeper....however, I suspect at least 2 or 3 of these would be loans, I suspect the club are chasing Everton to get Robinson back on loan.
Could be, but as I said the other day I regard waiting for Everton to make a decision on Robinson as a dangerous game when there are good players out there. I mentioned Miquel Nelom a while ago and the Dutch press linked us to him today. Has a couple of caps for Holland and is a good footballer with a bit of pace to him. If we wait for another week for Everton (if we are waiting on Robinson) and they then decide to keep him there, we are screwed. Indications in the Liverpool paper are that Robinson may well be part of their Premier League squad this season.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:10 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:06 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:41 am
mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 am
http://www.footymad.com/hibernian/news/ ... ndex.shtml

Lennon and Hibs after ALF!
Can't see it happening.

The thing with le Fondre is, I still can't work out how we'll be able to find him a starting place. It's common knowledge that we're trying to spend what little money we have on a centre-forward, and judging by the names rumoured, whoever we sign will be of the target man mould that Parky's so keen on. This, along with the signings that we've made to date, suggests to me that we're setting up to play the same 4-2-3-1 that's been good for us but with players of an improved standard, and with added creativity now Oztumer's in there.

So it all depends on how happy le Fondre is to go through a repeat of last season, and I think it's safe to say that the answer to that is "not very".
We have a skeleton squad and I don't see him getting us a decent fee from Hibs. You'd just loan him away for wages?
I think a smart player like him would thrive in our new wing-based attack.

I desperately want him to stay and I'd hope that we wouldn't move him on unless he forced it, but he'll want to start and if we spend money on a forward I think it's unlikely that he will.

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:32 pm
get the ball to him in the box and he can score goals

That, thus far, has been the problem.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:24 am

My worry with Ireland is KenAn and LeeAn will sign him because he's a 'name' or the'y've heard of the country and he'll Rodwell us to relegation.

He was on 32.5K how low will he go? 5K? 10K? 15K?
Every 5K being another player. The opportunity cost could be huge here.

If we pay him low and bonuses for goals and appearances I don't mind so much. What do we do with Oz? If they're on the field together I fear we'll be overrun in the midfield. If you take off the rose-tinted spectacles he's a crocked luxury player with the sub-par scoring and assist rate OF A DEFENSIVE MID with none of the skills.

We were terrible across the board last season and I think we've addressed the attacking lacking more than the defensive woes. We've got Olki in but already had Little. And no Antonee yet - so effectively the back five are worse. For me another defensive mid is the main priority, followed by left back. Everyone's forgotten faster younger centreback as well...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 am

Reported through Nixon (take from that what you will) that Ireland with his injury concerns was not on 32.5k a week, more like 5k. That's well within our wage budget. Since we've been pretty keen to sign players who fit within our strict-ish wage budget there is no way on Earth that he's been offered a prince's ransom to come to BWFC.

The biggest wage we have is Amos, now part of his is being paid by Millwall, Sameobi is probably our top earner
Pfffft.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am

TKIZ! wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 am
Reported through Nixon (take from that what you will) that Ireland with his injury concerns was not on 32.5k a week, more like 5k. That's well within our wage budget. Since we've been pretty keen to sign players who fit within our strict-ish wage budget there is no way on Earth that he's been offered a prince's ransom to come to BWFC.

The biggest wage we have is Amos, now part of his is being paid by Millwall, Sameobi is probably our top earner
For $5Kpw i'd take him. A gamble but with a potential payoff. Something different again. Parky is not going to want for tactical options (tactical nous mayhap).

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am

Lee Anderson Tweeted "eyes on me late eve". Would normally suggest a signing today, probably after the game this afternoon.

Ireland perhaps?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Considering the amount of times in the past we were "undone" by the likes of Ireland, Danny Murphy, Stephen Reid and even our onetime own Claus Jensen, it would be nice to think we had a couple (one even) of gamechangers and midfield generals in the side. It's all very well to keep chanting about strikers, wingers and central defenders, but midfiled is where most of today's football is played. Okay, we'll never see a DeBruyn, Messi, Xavi or Iniesta in a Wanderers shirt, but not since Holden and Mark Davies have we been any sort of a force in the middle third. Hoofball is a hammer in the toolbox, but there are a lot of spanners, pliers and technical stuff needed in there too to do a job. I don't care who they are, what they look like or what their track-records, politics or religions are. If they play good football, get em in and let's start winning again. Start today. Come on you Whites.... :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:59 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am
Lee Anderson Tweeted "eyes on me late eve". Would normally suggest a signing today, probably after the game this afternoon.

Ireland perhaps?
Even by his p***k-teasing standards, he'd normally point to the official account if there was going to be an announcement. Maybe they're planning to sign one or more up after the Girona game, in which case he'll do his emoji tomfoolery this evening and make us wait until Monday for the actual announcement to come out? :conf: