Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by The_Gun » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:21 am

Unbelievable result yesterday which really gives me faith in the players we've already brought in. Now let's kick on and bring in some more quality so we can make a real fist of it this year.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:47 am

Glad to see people have taken some hope from the result today.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:08 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:11 am
The financial disparity between us and several sides in our division was never clearer than yesterday. Baggies fans are giving Jay Rodriguez pelters on their forums. They're currently holding out for £25m before they'll sell him to Burnley.

They could have our whole club, lock stock and barrel for that!

Trust in Parky to build a side of hungry has beens and wannabes and hopefully someone we can flog for a Madine style fee
Yeah, they've been acting entitled all right. Too long up in the Prem. They've always been up themselves.

Window closes in 4 days and we've been begging, borrowing, stealing and even striking to cobble together a squad of frees and hasbeens and they're all like, "sell Hegazy", "get rid of Nyom", "send Bartley back", "get three new strikers in"... :crazy:

What world do they live in?
A:The Championship. And if they don't quit whining and adapt they'll never get out.
We were the same when we came down, to be fair. In fact, West Brom and Bolton fans have similar reputations for being whingers and always finding something to moan about. Newly relegated fans are rarely on good form. Understandable. I thought the atmosphere at the start from them was fairly good - better than I expected given they just dropped. Soured a bit thanks to us, though :D It was like a graveyard between their first and our's. Or would have been if not for the away end.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:08 pm
mullayo wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
The financial disparity between us and several sides in our division was never clearer than yesterday. Baggies fans are giving Jay Rodriguez pelters on their forums. They're currently holding out for £25m before they'll sell him to Burnley.

Trust in Parky to build a side of hungry has beens and wannabes and hopefully someone we can flog for a Madine style fee
Yeah, they've been acting entitled all right. Too long up in the Prem. They've always been up themselves.

Window closes in 4 days and we've been begging, borrowing, stealing and even striking to cobble together a squad of frees and hasbeens and they're all like, "sell Hegazy", "get rid of Nyom", "send Bartley back", "get three new strikers in"... :crazy:

A:The Championship. And if they don't quit whining and adapt they'll never get out.
We were the same when we came down, to be fair. In fact, West Brom and Bolton fans have similar reputations for being whingers and always finding something to moan about. Newly relegated fans are rarely on good form. Understandable. I thought the atmosphere at the start from them was fairly good - better than I expected given they just dropped. Soured a bit thanks to us, though :D It was like a graveyard between their first and our's. Or would have been if not for the away end.
Yeah the crowd was awesome. Honestly if MaGenius hadn't scored early doors and given us such a boost could have been a much different game. Such an important result for confidence going forward. Also gets the media off our backs. What strike? What 11 games 2 points? All forgotten and we're moving forward.

If West Brom want to sell a few of their starters we'll take them...
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Gardner news. West Brom have pulled out. He may be for sale. QPR vs Us and aren't they on a transfer embargo?
Which makes us the only permanent option.
I know he's Luke Murphy MK2 but he's 26 and as such an asset with resale value. Not a Henry/Pratley/Kirchoff/. Flick him next year to promoted club if he's average. At this stage we have only a handful coming back. And we're staying up for sure. Third place baby!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:35 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:26 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:08 pm
mullayo wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Yeah the crowd was awesome. Honestly if MaGenius hadn't scored early doors and given us such a boost could have been a much different game. Such an important result for confidence going forward. Also gets the media off our backs. What strike? What 11 games 2 points? All forgotten and we're moving forward.

If West Brom want to sell a few of their starters we'll take them...
Goals change game of course, but West Brom had very little to hurt us with. We were comfortable for the vast majority of the game. They had possession but had nothing to get behind us with or a target to hit.

Hence they managed 3 shots on target and if we are honest they were lucky to go in 1-1 at HT as really we should have made it 2-0 on the break.

Couldn’t have grumbled with a draw but of the two sides we just about deserved to win it. They definitely did not.

And their team needs a rebuild if it is to do anything in the championship. Need a proper striker and a far more combative midfield. Their two strikers yesterday, Rodríguez and Robson Kanu simply won’t cut it in this league. Need far more presence up front. Or genuine pace.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:39 pm

They are getting Dwight Gayle on loan. Much more suited to this league.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Back to BWFC talk, Lee Anderson confirmed the 3 emojis were for O'Neil, backup keeper (presumably Camp) and Zouma for the U23s.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:46 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:30 pm
Gardner news. West Brom have pulled out. He may be for sale. QPR vs Us and aren't they on a transfer embargo?
I know he's Luke Murphy MK2 but he's 26 and as such an asset with resale value. Not a Henry/Pratley/Kirchoff/. Flick him next year to promoted club if he's average. At this stage we have only a handful coming back. And we're staying up for sure. Third place baby!
I'm pretty sure Iles said our name was in the hat because we'd tried to work out a deal earlier in the summer and it didn't work out. So we were interested, but may or may not be now.

I'd take him, if the finances are right. Think he'd be a very good player at this level. Not as talented as Ireland, but much younger and likely to be available for more games.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:48 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:40 pm
Back to BWFC talk, Lee Anderson confirmed the 3 emojis were for O'Neil, backup keeper (presumably Camp) and Zouma for the U23s.
Were the emojis: :roll: :conf: and :hang: ?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:46 pm
mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:30 pm
I'm pretty sure Iles said our name was in the hat because we'd tried to work out a deal earlier in the summer and it didn't work out. So we were interested, but may or may not be now.

I'd take him, if the finances are right. Think he'd be a very good player at this level. Not as talented as Ireland, but much younger and likely to be available for more games.
May well be. But the other contenders have fallen by the wayside leaving us in the catbird seat. Could be an opportunity like Murphy was.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:35 pm
Rodríguez and Robson Kanu simply won’t cut it in this league. Need far more presence up front. Or genuine pace.
Do you mean as a pairing, or individuals? Jay Rodriguez was Burnley's top scorer twice in this division and was in the Championship team of the year. I'd say any suggestion he can't cut it here, even after his injuries, is a bit odd.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm
May well be. But the other contenders have fallen by the wayside leaving us in the catbird seat. Could be an opportunity like Murphy was.
"catbird seat" is one I haven't heard in a while.

Could be a chance, I dunno. I liked him at Villa, but then my most recent memory is of him scoring against us last season so he's now scum until he signs for us.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:03 pm

State of the squad with 4 days to go.
I've added all the current rumours and that would about do it, with 27.

3GK: Alnwick, CAMP?, BWilliams,
3CB: Wheater, Beevers, Hobbs,
3RB: Olki, Little, Darby,
3LB: ELDER? Taylor, Wilson
1DM: Lowe,
3CM: Vela, Murphy, GARDNER?, O'Neill
3AM: Oztumer, IRELAND?, Pritchard
2RW: SAmeobi, Noone
2LW: Buckley, Wildschut,
4ST: Magennis, GARNER? Donaldson, ALF,

I wouldn't bother with Ireland myself. Especially if we get Gardner. Think they're stringing him along a bit.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:57 pm
mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm
"catbird seat" is one I haven't heard in a while.

Could be a chance, I dunno. I liked him at Villa, but then my most recent memory is of him scoring against us last season so he's now scum until he signs for us.
That's dark Ghost, you can't go around hating people that score against us. That's 70 odd people last year alone!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:07 pm
That's dark Ghost, you can't go around hating people that score against us. That's 70 odd people last year alone!
They're all on the list...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:35 pm
Rodríguez and Robson Kanu simply won’t cut it in this league. Need far more presence up front. Or genuine pace.
Do you mean as a pairing, or individuals? Jay Rodriguez was Burnley's top scorer twice in this division and was in the Championship team of the year. I'd say any suggestion he can't cut it here, even after his injuries, is a bit odd.
As a pairing. Though Rodriguez may leave anyway.

We had the best striker on the pitch on the day by a mile. Had he been playing for West Brom they might have won.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:26 pm
As a pairing. Though Rodriguez may leave anyway.

We had the best striker on the pitch on the day by a mile. Had he been playing for West Brom they might have won.
Agree with that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Rodriguez is a premier league player, but as a pair with Robson-Kanu very predictable.

Lumps ftw.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:51 pm

One thing is for sure, it'll be a big call by Parky if he goes 2-up-top against Bristol after we beat West Brom with that formation. Can't see how 4 strikers works unless we play a pairing regularly. Will be interesting.