Ken Anderson - Old Owner (Definitely. For Ever ..... )

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: Ken Anderson - New Owner (Definitely. For Now ..... )

Post by TKIZ! » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 pm

So, I've had time to constructively analyse this latest piece of news and consider my reply. So, here goes:

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Pfffft.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm

The sooner we get away from this shambolic disaster of an ownership the sooner we'll be Bolton Wanderers again. The whole thing was a white elephant from day 1. Previous running of the club can't be excused in shovelling all the blame on K.A, but he surely could see what a pig in a poke he might be taking on?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm
The sooner we get away from this shambolic disaster of an ownership the sooner we'll be Bolton Wanderers again. The whole thing was a white elephant from day 1. Previous running of the club can't be excused in shovelling all the blame on K.A, but he surely could see what a pig in a poke he might be taking on?
Personal opinion: He spied a bargain (and a patsy in Deano). Thought he could become the hero, cut costs, do deals, good chance of going back up, then flip it for a profit.

What happened then is the weird bit. I mean, for much of last season he pointedly called off the sale because it was distracting. Did he genuinely think he could run it profitably in this mad division where no f*cker makes a profit? Did he fall in love with the two hits of adrenaline and ego that comes with running a football club on the up? Did he think he could find another patsy, a rich one this time, who'd let him be the Gartside to their silent-partner Eddie? Did he ask too much and run out of options?

And, most pertinently, what now? It feels like the end-game, although that's not new. I genuinely don't know how he thinks we're going to afford the rest of the season. The latest winding-up order is in and it's less than a month since the big EFL cash slice came in. Now, I know that winding-up orders aren't necessarily reflective of available cash, and indeed the ones last month got paid off, but it's a bad sign that it's happening again already - it hardly smacks of a club running serenely.

Maybe it's Ken hiding bills behind the mantelpiece clock, or trying to parcel existing debts into the sale - and maybe that's why the 'English' bidders walked last Saturday (any news yet of this mooted 'later this week' return to the table?). At some point, though, it's all going to be laid out for bidders to see. And while he's trying to get the best result possible - for the club, of course, but not uncoincidentally for himself - he can't duck and dive forever, because I can't see a world in which we don't hit the wall at some point before next August, so he's only wasting his own precious time.

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 am

What I don’t understand is how is he still at an ‘advanced’ stage of talks with two interested parties? Surely the end is nigh and they can just sit tight, wait for admin and then pick us up for a snip..

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:57 am

Joggers Nipple wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:43 am
What I don’t understand is how is he still at an ‘advanced’ stage of talks with two interested parties? Surely the end is nigh and they can just sit tight, wait for admin and then pick us up for a snip..
It's not always beneficial to wait for a club to go into admin. For a start, we might well be docked 12 points for next season, which would make re-promotion very difficult indeed.

Joggers Nipple
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Joggers Nipple » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:57 am
Joggers Nipple wrote:
It's not always beneficial to wait for a club to go into admin. For a start, we might well be docked 12 points for next season, which would make re-promotion very difficult indeed.
I never thought of that, I just presumed the points penalty would kick in this season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:18 pm

"Advanced stage of talks" means we can ignore everything till the word "talks" disappears. Something about having to buy whisky? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Joggers Nipple wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:13 pm
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:57 am
Joggers Nipple wrote:
I never thought of that, I just presumed the points penalty would kick in this season.
Some clubs were gaming the system by judging when best to swallow the punishment: if they were going down anyway, might as well hasten into admin before the end of the season. This happened with Leeds in 2007 (although they were then docked points again the following season, which stopped them getting re-promoted from the third tier). By 2009 clubs had to go into admin by March to take the points hit that season, and a curious but necessary system evolved designed for maximum punishment: if the docking got you relegated, so be it; if it didn't, it would be applied the following season instead.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/40660 ... istration/

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Ken has also made sure that he's a 'secured creditor'. He 'loaned' the club the five million needed to stave off the previous administration run. This means that even though the five million is due soon, it's due from the club and not him. This makes the sale even more difficult because if I'm getting this right Eddie's trust is owed money and then Ken is as well, even though it's not his money. Is that right?

On top of that Prescot Cables and Brett Warburton are owned money which means Ken will continue to move the goalposts until he makes a tidy profit from the sale, which as a businessman with no ties was always going to be his goal
Pfffft.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 pm

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 am

TKIZ

Yes, but it's the same money. I lend you ten quid which you then lend to a mate. Your mate owes me nothing; you do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm

The BN's version of the Don't Shit Where You Eat story is live.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17 ... n-council/

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Was having a discussion about Ken over the weekend. Without going into it too deeply it was around the question of:

Given his apparent reluctance to sell, or attempt to manage the business properly, maybe what motivates Ken is nothing to do with wealth or success, certainly not BWFC, but attention? He might just want to be in the news, super narcissism Trumpian style? It might explain the following (these are just the ones that stand out):

1.) Turning a small debts owed to former players into major dramas that explode on social media and make the national press. Same with debts to caterers and marketing companies. Even in times when there shouldn't have been cash flow problems.

2.) Seemingly having the money to pay Blumarble but then turning it into an existential crisis.

3.) When things were going well, taking credit for it in his columns.

4.) His prolific media presence when Forest Green's chairman criticized him. Similar when others have criticized him. I think he actually stated the old "no such thing as bad publicity" line in one of his columns.

5.) Turning down bids, not appearing to pursue bids when it would be logical for him to be doing so, not doing the mundane stuff like paying people on time without it making the media.

The worrying aspect of this theory, is that a.) He has a past history that involve corrupt practices involving liquidating businesses, and b.) The drama and newsworthiness of our situation will only increase the bigger the crisis becomes.

I have thought this for some time, but perhaps not to the extent that it might be his only or totally dominant driver? After all he is probably personally financially protected, and never going to be famous again so lets just have some fun and garner some fame and notoriety with this little toy?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:48 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Was having a discussion about Ken over the weekend. Without going into it too deeply it was around the question of:

Given his apparent reluctance to sell, or attempt to manage the business properly, maybe what motivates Ken is nothing to do with wealth or success, certainly not BWFC, but attention? He might just want to be in the news, super narcissism Trumpian style? It might explain the following (these are just the ones that stand out):

1.) Turning a small debts owed to former players into major dramas that explode on social media and make the national press. Same with debts to caterers and marketing companies. Even in times when there shouldn't have been cash flow problems.

2.) Seemingly having the money to pay Blumarble but then turning it into an existential crisis.

3.) When things were going well, taking credit for it in his columns.

4.) His prolific media presence when Forest Green's chairman criticized him. Similar when others have criticized him. I think he actually stated the old "no such thing as bad publicity" line in one of his columns.

5.) Turning down bids, not appearing to pursue bids when it would be logical for him to be doing so, not doing the mundane stuff like paying people on time without it making the media.

The worrying aspect of this theory, is that a.) He has a past history that involve corrupt practices involving liquidating businesses, and b.) The drama and newsworthiness of our situation will only increase the bigger the crisis becomes.

I have thought this for some time, but perhaps not to the extent that it might be his only or totally dominant driver? After all he is probably personally financially protected, and never going to be famous again so lets just have some fun and garner some fame and notoriety with this little toy?
And that's "without going into it too deeply" is it?... :pissed:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Iles mentions reports that there may be a new bidder at the table, possibly from Turkey

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Oh aye
And Nixon’s doing the thing where he pretends he knows something and says dead cryptic stuff so when something happens he can claim ITK.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 pm
Oh aye
And Nixon’s doing the thing where he pretends he knows something and says dead cryptic stuff so when something happens he can claim ITK.
Nixon’s the one who has told Iles.....

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:25 pm

Yep. I guessed as much. They have a race to say it in print. Just Nixon gives it this smug I knew all along thing (cos it’s his job of course). Can be irritating!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:50 am

Spotty mentions reports that there may be a new bidder at the table, possibly from Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:50 am
Spotty mentions reports that there may be a new bidder at the table, possibly from Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.
Its also increasingly clear that we can't make the end of the season out of admin without a sale....as I said a few weeks back.....

:wink: