Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 05, 2021 8:18 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:14 pm
I'm slightly perturbed by how low morale within the squad seems to be, or at least how low Evatt's comments seem to suggest it is.

Hopefully he can shake them out of it.
Good managers get a reaction. Doubt we’ve ever been as low as losing to Burton....week later....pitch invasion. That really was against all odds and form too.

I think the big thing for Saturday is picking those that have the balls and fire to do it. We need people to stand up like lionhearts to get the job down not those who wilt away under pressure. Hopefully Evatt will select the right sorts and we get the job done.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 05, 2021 8:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:24 pm
And as well as he defends I'm not sure Doyle stops their centre back with a run at the back post.
No, but maybe someone who was marking someone else does. Obviously Doyler isn't nine foot eight, but he's been back for just about every other corner this season so obviously there's some merit in him being there - especially when they've already overloaded by lobbing the goalkeeper up.

I've said many times on here that football is about players and space, and that the teams who succeed are the ones who best plug the defensive spaces, find the attacking ones or preferably both. At times this spring we've plugged the defensive gaps as well, IMO, as any Parky or Sam team, and combined it with bursts of attacking intent as promising as Rioch or Todd. But that one decision struck me immediately as unwise, in my gut and my head, and I was almost instantly devastated that it worked out that way.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 pm

All fair enough, I'm not saying they definitely would still have scored, just that it's not certain they wouldn't. I still think it was worth the risk, guaranteed promotion if it comes off, a slight decrease in the odds of promotion if it goes wrong (which, unarguably, it did :D)
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 06, 2021 9:00 am

T minus 54 hours.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 am

https://help.nowtv.com/article/sports-membership

Day pass = £9.99 or you can get the month (but seemingly sign up to 3 months) if you are feeling negative and want the play offs - they will all be on sky I think.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 am

Day pass = £9.99 or you can get the month (but seemingly sign up to 3 months) if you are feeling negative and want the play offs - they will all be on sky I think.
I'm going to tempt fate and say the single day's pass will be plenty 8) :pissed:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu May 06, 2021 9:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:19 am

I'm going to tempt fate and say the single day's pass will be plenty 8) :pissed:
I've made a note of this, and hope we don't have to come back to it! :-)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 06, 2021 9:44 am

I have already ticked one superstition off 😄

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm

Evatt seems to now be suggesting last week was down to complacency. I hope so as that’s much more easily fixed than stage fright.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 pm

I think they viewed it as a free hit. When it went 1-1 we looked devoid of inspiration. Certainly nobody wanted to step up to the plate.

5 subs for the last time on Saturday - hope we use them properly if we need to. We could, for example, start Jackson and John, and if it’s 0-0 or worse bring Dapo on at half time. And still have Miller, Arthur/Elbo, Delf to go...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri May 07, 2021 6:35 am

Had a dream last night that we lost 4-0. Feelings comparable to that Stoke game.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 07, 2021 9:08 am

jimbo wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:35 am
Had a dream last night that we lost 4-0. Feelings comparable to that Stoke game.
Back on the Wee Beastie, you! :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am

Bah - I forgot T minus 30...

So T minus 29:25...

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm
Evatt seems to now be suggesting last week was down to complacency. I hope so as that’s much more easily fixed than stage fright.
Might explain the second half then.

Thinking it was job done.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 07, 2021 9:59 am

DJBlu wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:35 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

You like to think as a supporter that complacency is never a factor but looking at games we've struggled in during the 'run' Colchester, Grimsby, early doors against Harrogate and Walsall, games perhaps where the players felt we just had to turn up to win.

So perhaps second half was that. Though I rather suspect it was less 'we've done this relax' and more excitement getting the better of them or adrenaline perhaps not being controlled. I once heard Big Sam talk about big game prep and he said one of the big things is to not let adrenaline levels be too high pre match as it causes mental and physical tiredness and you wonder if that's what happened last week. Over excited adrenaline high first half, half time starts to lower and second half is flat......only probably needs to happen to 3 or 4 and suddenly you're up against it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 07, 2021 11:11 am

DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not sure how you fix one of football's greatest intangibles that has no specific measures. Like commitment, playing for the shirt, wanting it more than we did, they were up for it.

"Oh I know what I'll do, I'll impress upon them to want it more, and for a full 90 minutes"

"Run a lot"

"Tackle harder"

Maybe "chuck some tea-cups and express more than a mild displeasure"....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 07, 2021 11:50 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:11 am
DJBlu wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not sure how you fix one of football's greatest intangibles that has no specific measures. Like commitment, playing for the shirt, wanting it more than we did, they were up for it.

"Oh I know what I'll do, I'll impress upon them to want it more, and for a full 90 minutes"

"Run a lot"

"Tackle harder"

Maybe "chuck some tea-cups and express more than a mild displeasure"....
All intangibles yet the best managers manage to get teams to put these sorts of performances it. Look at Lampard at Chelsea, hapless. Tuchel comes in and suddenly they look organised, disciplined, totally committed and with a very clear tactical plan.

I believe a lot of the issues we had second half was down to how we play or try to and it not really being suited to the circumstances or situation. Exeter were always going to come at us hard and perhaps had we soaked it up for 15 minutes, re-assessed and hit the on the break as the game went on we might have done better. We did that second half against Salford so are capable of it. I suspect the mood was less conducive to playing like that Saturday though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 pm

I think that explanation is more likely than "complacent"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 pm
I think that explanation is more likely than "complacent"
Yeah that was Evatt's word - I guess it depends how you mean. Like I say I doubt anyone went 'we've done this boys lets just mess about second half'.

Probably more a case of the occasion sapping a bit of energy and not really knowing how to deal with the second half. For a team that likes to pass it I've noted that as soon as games get stretched it really does not suit us at all. Perhaps second half against Exeter we should have compressed the game and asked them to break us down.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 07, 2021 1:47 pm

So, after all the debating,are we sort of agreeing that there is actually no magic formula to winning, nobody knows the answer and tossing a coin has as much chance of being right as anybody here? In short, we cheer, shout "COME ON YOU WHITES and just and hope for the best? Guess that's about it. ae:)
Attachments
alfwhite.jpg
alfwhite.jpg (145.51 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?