Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by The_Gun » Tue May 18, 2021 3:32 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:11 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:21 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:09 pm
Brommers! BROMMERS!!
Portsmouth local paper The News says "it’s understood that Bolton are one side who are potential suitors" for their recent release Andy Cannon, who is a midfielder not a useful armament. Ashton lad, 25, played 101 third-tier games for Rochdale then another 63 for Pompey. Also presumably the recipient of plenty of headlines along the theme of "You're fired".

Right-footed I assume as he's also played on the right side and a RB. Kenny Jackett said he saw him as an attacking midfielder, which implies he'd played a bit further back for Dale.
Good to see Chris Markham's been reading the blog :D

The rumour could be just that, but it's a move that would make sense. Manchester lad, good L1 experience and has only just turned 25.

Made 24 starts for Pompey this season mainly in the left centre-mid position (but right-footed), in more of a defensive role judging by his stats and some game footage.

https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2021 ... dfielders/
Sounds like he would be direct competition for MJ, so isn't it very unlikely he'd come here to warm the bench?
I can see what you're saying butI reckon he'd still be a good signing. Direct competition for Lee/MJ, bags of L1 experience and can play multiple positions too. I think that whoever is signed this summer Evatt will tell his squad that no one is safe and every starting spot is earned on merit.
Given what you shared on your blog, Brommers, he looks to be direct competition for MJ only, and whilst he might be a good signing from our perspective, if I'm his agent I'd look at the fact that MJ started every game for us after joining and query whether this would be a sensible move.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 3:38 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:32 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:11 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:46 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:21 pm
Tue May 18, 2021 12:09 pm
Brommers! BROMMERS!!
Portsmouth local paper The News says "it’s understood that Bolton are one side who are potential suitors" for their recent release Andy Cannon, who is a midfielder not a useful armament. Ashton lad, 25, played 101 third-tier games for Rochdale then another 63 for Pompey. Also presumably the recipient of plenty of headlines along the theme of "You're fired".

Right-footed I assume as he's also played on the right side and a RB. Kenny Jackett said he saw him as an attacking midfielder, which implies he'd played a bit further back for Dale.
Good to see Chris Markham's been reading the blog :D

The rumour could be just that, but it's a move that would make sense. Manchester lad, good L1 experience and has only just turned 25.

Made 24 starts for Pompey this season mainly in the left centre-mid position (but right-footed), in more of a defensive role judging by his stats and some game footage.

https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2021 ... dfielders/
Sounds like he would be direct competition for MJ, so isn't it very unlikely he'd come here to warm the bench?
I can see what you're saying butI reckon he'd still be a good signing. Direct competition for Lee/MJ, bags of L1 experience and can play multiple positions too. I think that whoever is signed this summer Evatt will tell his squad that no one is safe and every starting spot is earned on merit.
Given what you shared on your blog, Brommers, he looks to be direct competition for MJ only, and whilst he might be a good signing from our perspective, if I'm his agent I'd look at the fact that MJ started every game for us after joining and query whether this would be a sensible move.
Given we'll be playing better teams in league one and more physical teams I can well imagine there are times we'll want the 2 in midfield to be the more solid defensive and physical types. So I don't really get why he'd 'only be direct competition'. It also to me seems that if MJ is injured we have absolutely nobody else of that type on the books so another midfield player of that ilk seems an essential to me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 18, 2021 3:48 pm

Think for Cannon we also have to factor in that he explicitly wants to move back up north, a la Sarce. If his family is around Manchester then he’s got a choice between us, Wigan and (if their wage structure allows) Accy, maybe Crewe if he’s south Manc, or dropping into D4.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 18, 2021 4:28 pm

HULL CITY, promoted back to the second tier:
• released: left-back Max Clark
• Extensions offered: goalkeeper George Long and centre-back Reece Burke; talks continue.
• Extensions triggered: Josh Magennis (altogether now....) and Alfie Jones.

CHARLTON AFFLETIC, not promoted back to the second tier:
• released: Deji Oshilaja, Andrew Shinnie, Darren Pratley (ooh!), Erhun Oztumer (hmm), Marcus Maddison (oh)
• extensions offered, negotiations ongoing: Ben Amos (really?!), Chuks Aneke, Jake Forster-Caskey, Adam Matthews, Jason Pearce, Ben Watson

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue May 18, 2021 6:00 pm

Tue May 18, 2021 3:01 pm
Mar wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:49 pm
Paul Mullin, of Cambridge promotion fame and L2 Golden Boot Winner is out of contract at the end of the season.

Sounds like its worth a gamble given he's got 34 goals in 50 last season.
Not only that but he offered his services to us last summer - he’s a Scouser so it’s the old geography again innit. But the question would be - given his underwhelming previous goal return, did he overachieve last season? And with only one striker starting berth, would he come?

I suspect he would come. If he's a scouser and keen on coming last season then he'll have ties up north. Eoin Doyle is turning 34 next season so you would suspect that time is on Mullin's side in terms of getting into our side, if not this coming season but the season after.

And regarding the underwhelming previous goal return, I suspect that there would be a few punters still interested even if it didn't work out. Heck the chance of signing a player of the season on a free transfer, we could do a lot worse. Madine had a shocking return prior to joining us and he managed to make it work enough to get a decent transfer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:00 pm
Mar wrote:
Paul Mullin, of Cambridge promotion fame and L2 Golden Boot Winner is out of contract at the end of the season.

Not only that but he offered his services to us last summer - he’s a Scouser so it’s the old geography again innit. But the question would be - given his underwhelming previous goal return, did he overachieve last season? And with only one striker starting berth, would he come?

I suspect he would come. If he's a scouser and keen on coming last season then he'll have ties up north. Eoin Doyle is turning 34 next season so you would suspect that time is on Mullin's side in terms of getting into our side, if not this coming season but the season after.

And regarding the underwhelming previous goal return, I suspect that there would be a few punters still interested even if it didn't work out. Heck the chance of signing a player of the season on a free transfer, we could do a lot worse. Madine had a shocking return prior to joining us and he managed to make it work enough to get a decent transfer.
Madine had 26 goals from 60 odd games at Sheffield Weds better than 1 in 3 starts . If that’s a ‘shocking return’ then goodness knows what you will think is ‘good’.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue May 18, 2021 6:41 pm

Speaking of Madine, just watching Oxford Blackpool play off , cracking game some talent on show. Madine currently bench warming.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 6:47 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:41 pm
Speaking of Madine, just watching Oxford Blackpool play off , cracking game some talent on show. Madine currently bench warming.
It’s a bit scary watching this as the gap between the absolute rubbish we’ve played this season and this is rather large. Rather large indeed.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Tue May 18, 2021 6:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:47 pm
knobpolisher wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:41 pm
It’s a bit scary watching this as the gap between the absolute rubbish we’ve played this season and this is rather large. Rather large indeed.
True, to compete we would have to play like the Crawley match. Of course these are amongst the best div 1 has to offer but great pace to the game and excellent attacking capabilities
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Ibahjanner
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Ibahjanner » Tue May 18, 2021 7:08 pm

A player most of us down in plymouth would welcome back but would more likely sign for you being one of your ex youngsters is Oscar threkheld. Released by Salford but likes getting forward in rhe right wing back position. Also had spells as defensive midfield for us

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 18, 2021 7:13 pm

Cannon is an interesting link and would indicate a similar tactic to last summer, where we had a look at all the released players who had had a crack at getting out of our division the season before - before branching out. Pompey only just fell short of the play-offs and Cannon was a reliable squad player for them. I can't say I have seen much of him after he left 'Dale, but I wouldn't argue with getting in a player of his age who has good experience in the division.

On Mullin, after the season he just had you take him. I think he could play with Doyle, as he is more of a runner than Eoin and (at least last term) he scores more varied goals. I'd love to see some real pace and physicality added to our attack, but if we signed Mullin I'd not be naysaying just because he's a typecast lower league forward. He may or may not have just had a one-off season, but he'd certainly be worth the risk if the manager thinks his face would fit. Going up with the league's two top scorers couldn't be a bad thing. Also there's the age issue. If he came in and did well we'd have a goal scorer who might carry us right through this rebuild period over the next 5 years. Doyle can't offer that - nor can he offer resale value.

The most important thing is maintaining the core of the side that went up, which would include John if he fancies it. Given the issues he's had finding stability you'd hope that he would. He's obviously good enough.

The obvious issues with the squad are long term goalkeeper, depth at fullback, genuine pace going forward and someone in the middle who can put his foot on the ball and take a team apart. Fullback depth is vital, the others we may be able to patch up and still have a good crack at it. If we can cover a few bases and sign one or even two "x factor" players then we can use the loan market for the rest. We are in a much, much better position now than 12 months ago.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 18, 2021 7:28 pm

Ibahjanner wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:08 pm
A player most of us down in plymouth would welcome back but would more likely sign for you being one of your ex youngsters is Oscar threkheld. Released by Salford but likes getting forward in rhe right wing back position. Also had spells as defensive midfield for us
I like Oscar. There are reasons clubs might not pick him up, though.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue May 18, 2021 7:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 pm
Mar wrote:
Mar wrote:

Madine had 26 goals from 60 odd games at Sheffield Weds better than 1 in 3 starts . If that’s a ‘shocking return’ then goodness knows what you will think is ‘good’.
Sounds like you were shocked.

I was leaning more to the following:
2011 18 in 38 (Sheff Wed)
2012 4 in 35 (Sheff Wed)
2013 2 in 7
2014 8 in 41

4 in 35 is a massive drop off in form from a player who scored 18 in 38 for Madine.

Mullin's previous success record was 25 in 122 games for Morecambe and 8 in 37 for Tranmere. Given his current record theres enough there to warrant some interest.

I'm also seeing reports that he was in the same youth team as Raheem Sterling. Perhaps he was in the same time that MJ Williams was around. Hard to tell.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 7:53 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:42 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 pm
Mar wrote:
Mar wrote:

Sounds like you were shocked.

I was leaning more to the following:
2011 18 in 38 (Sheff Wed)
2012 4 in 35 (Sheff Wed)
2013 2 in 7
2014 8 in 41

4 in 35 is a massive drop off in form from a player who scored 18 in 38 for Madine.

Mullin's previous success record was 25 in 122 games for Morecambe and 8 in 37 for Tranmere. Given his current record theres enough there to warrant some interest.

I'm also seeing reports that he was in the same youth team as Raheem Sterling. Perhaps he was in the same time that MJ Williams was around. Hard to tell.
The point is his goal scoring record wasn’t shocking. The drop coincides with SW playing at a higher level.

As for Mullin he’s just too similar to Doyle for me. Evatt will want a more physical option I am sure.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 18, 2021 8:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Lighten up. You're like a dark cloud on a summer's day mate. Not assembled the squad and still buoyant from what we've just achieved and already you're off with the pessimism with the season start months away.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 18, 2021 8:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:22 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Lighten up. You're like a dark cloud on a summer's day mate. Not assembled the squad and still buoyant from what we've just achieved and already you're off with the pessimism with the season start months away.
No pessimism from me. We will be fine next season. In a way it will be a relief to see some good sides rather than the absolute dross we’ve faced this season. It shows there is a gap that needs bridging and that means some key additions. But tonight was just a reminder of what we have to face. I’m looking forward to it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 18, 2021 8:34 pm

Marcus Madison returns to football with non-league Spalding United.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 am

Rumours picking up pace that we're after Joel Dixon from Barrow who's out of contract. If true I think he'd choose us over them because of the Evatt connection and the fact we're L1. Don't know too much about him but Evatt rates him and he would certainly give Gilks some serious competition. I also can't see him being an expensive signing and would certainly have some resale value.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 19, 2021 9:39 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 am
Rumours picking up pace that we're after Joel Dixon from Barrow who's out of contract. If true I think he'd choose us over them because of the Evatt connection and the fact we're L1. Don't know too much about him but Evatt rates him and he would certainly give Gilks some serious competition. I also can't see him being an expensive signing and would certainly have some resale value.
I'm generally a bit 'hmmm' about signing players from Barrow just because Evatt knows them. Tom White a good example. He knew him. He got him. It wasn't great. I think Gilks, Baps etc are different because whilst Evatt knows them they've played at a high level and therefore their experience alone adds a lot. But lads from Barrow are untested at this level and I'd have to ask is he really the best keeper out there possible or just an easy option?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed May 19, 2021 9:43 am

I can see where you're coming from but I'd rather take a "hungry" player like Dixon with a point to prove than the possibility of another Amos. Remember how that turned out?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: