Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1198
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:12 am

Nixon is reporting we're close to finalising the signing of Joel Dixon, ex-Barrow goalkeeper and now a free agent. If true, I imagine his signing has long been planned and would explain our goalkeeper signings last summer.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20456
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:58 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:12 am
Nixon is reporting we're close to finalising the signing of Joel Dixon, ex-Barrow goalkeeper and now a free agent. If true, I imagine his signing has long been planned and would explain our goalkeeper signings last summer.
With much well-earned respect, Nicko, that's a bit too Long View Of History for me.

All the noises Evatt made last summer were about winning the league, so he expected to be third-tier by now; surely it's way too bold to hire a 'placeholder' goalkeeper when you're targeting triumph just so you can bring in a GK who, let's face it, hadn't played a league minute at that point.

I'm sure Evatt had Dixon (and other lapsing contracts) in mind and there's no denying last summer's signings were short-term, but I do hope it wasn't just biding our time for Dixon. That seems... risky.

User avatar
brommers95
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:20 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... on-barrow/

A deal is understood to be close – but The Bolton News understands that Dixon is not the next signing currently expected through the doors at the UniBol this summer.


Interesting...

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20456
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:12 pm

It IS interesting because the other carefully-worded Iles pieces could be (perhaps unkindly) construed as guesswork, but that implies knowledge. It's certainly not "Bolton. After player. Bit in paper."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28545
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:58 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:12 pm
It IS interesting because the other carefully-worded Iles pieces could be (perhaps unkindly) construed as guesswork, but that implies knowledge. It's certainly not "Bolton. After player. Bit in paper."
With the current ownership and management Marc Iles is the unofficial voice of the club. He will be getting nods and winks and know when to push stuff out. This is not the days of Gartside where the BN was kept at arms length or indeed Ken where the BN was given false information by the club and then criticised quite loudly in public. If Iles says something then, with the usual caveats of 'things can change from writing a story to it being published to the actual potential news happening' its almost certainly correct.
If he writes something is close then I'd assume its not guesswork.

irie Cee Bee
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:22 pm

Seems to me lles knows whats going on inside BWFC but has been told by the Club to keep quiet. He has only come out with the Dixon story today because Nixon has "buss" it, and it is true, and so, lles cannot afford to be late to the party in this game of journalism. He also appears to know that we are about to sign another player this week. He knows who it is but cannot say. Thats my reading on things.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20456
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:25 pm

Andy Cannon, whose link with us was laughed off by Evatt, has joined Hull.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28545
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:43 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:22 pm
Seems to me lles knows whats going on inside BWFC but has been told by the Club to keep quiet. He has only come out with the Dixon story today because Nixon has "buss" it, and it is true, and so, lles cannot afford to be late to the party in this game of journalism. He also appears to know that we are about to sign another player this week. He knows who it is but cannot say. Thats my reading on things.
Of course. He knows a lot but can't print what he's not given the nod too. Its how local journalists work with clubs often.

Spartan2
Promising
Promising
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 pm

Dixon is a worrying one, according to the stats he's worse than Gilks, hopefully not because we need to massively improve on Gilks if we're going to do anything next season.

In fact he's statistically worse than Crellin.

https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-r ... on_id=2020

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 28545
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 pm
Dixon is a worrying one, according to the stats he's worse than Gilks, hopefully not because we need to massively improve on Gilks if we're going to do anything next season.

In fact he's statistically worse than Crellin.

https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-r ... on_id=2020
I have absolutely no idea how any of that data shows that and frankly Gilks will be absolutely fine next season and his leadership was a big part of why we improved. He was player of the season for me (and I note the radio manchester team too). Far far from our biggest issue.

Spartan2
Promising
Promising
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 pm

He's not as bad as Crellin, I read the table wrong. But he is statistically worse than Gilks which is my main concern.

Gilks isn't a good keeper, I think the reason people think he is, is because he replaced Crellin which was a massive improvement. But beyond being better than the worst keeper we've ever had, he's just an average League 2 keeper. We should be looking for significantly better IMO.

irie Cee Bee
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:48 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 pm
He's not as bad as Crellin, I read the table wrong. But he is statistically worse than Gilks which is my main concern.

Gilks isn't a good keeper
Seriously??!!! You say this with a straight face Spartan?? OK, so since Gilks is so bad, who is a good one that we should be going after??

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1561
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:02 pm

There are a few sides to this.

First, yeah I was hoping to get a better keeper in. I'm not going to lie, that's just how it is.

However, we know Evatt doesn't feel like his system needs a top keeper behind it - if he did, Crellin would never have been the option. Crellin could use his feet a bit and that was enough. If you're not conceding shots then what does it matter who is between the sticks so long as they're average for the division? I don't agree, but I do think that's how Evatt feels about it. Could be wrong, but hey ho.

Evatt has been saying Gilks will be first choice next season and we just have to believe him. Dixon then comes in as a long term back-up goalie. Coming from Barrow you'd think he'll be okay with that and it means that Evatt can look at the market again next summer and see whether a good player is available then.

Lastly, if Dixon is 6'4" I'm 7'2". I assume his agent wrote his bio, as with Sheehan.

User avatar
brommers95
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by brommers95 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:34 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 pm
He's not as bad as Crellin, I read the table wrong. But he is statistically worse than Gilks which is my main concern.

Gilks isn't a good keeper, I think the reason people think he is, is because he replaced Crellin which was a massive improvement. But beyond being better than the worst keeper we've ever had, he's just an average League 2 keeper. We should be looking for significantly better IMO.
Inclined to agree with this. In terms of pure shot stopping ability Gilks had an average season which was no bad thing - 'average' was more than welcome after the Crellin experiment. The organisation that he brings to the team however can't be measured by stats.

I'm not convinced Gilks is the GK a promotion chasing L1 team should be relying on, but can see sense in sticking with him for now for defensive continuity/familiarity.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20456
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Dixon doesn't exactly look short... but again, I wouldn't know him if I shared a lift with him.
.
217912316.jpg.gallery.jpg
217912316.jpg.gallery.jpg (55.79 KiB) Viewed 197 times
.
Max Power, mentioned briefly on here if only for the fun of it, has returned to Wigan.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1561
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:51 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:34 pm
I'm not convinced Gilks is the GK a promotion chasing L1 team should be relying on, but can see sense in sticking with him for now for defensive continuity/familiarity.
Especially if, as Evatt's comments would seem to indicate, the plan is to bring Johnston in for Baptiste. We need to add quality to the side to compete, for sure, but we still need continuity.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1561
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:49 pm
Dixon doesn't exactly look short... but again, I wouldn't know him if I shared a lift with him.
Na, I don't think he's short - I just don't think he's 6'4". I recall him being Dwarfed by Santos at corners and I think Santos' 6'5" is accurate. I could be wrong.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25479
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:54 pm

There were certainly a few bits to Gilks. If memory serves he made way more critical saves than cock-ups. And he helped organize the rabble that was in front of him. Vocally.

Spartan2
Promising
Promising
Posts: 265
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:53 pm

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:56 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:48 pm
Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 pm
He's not as bad as Crellin, I read the table wrong. But he is statistically worse than Gilks which is my main concern.

Gilks isn't a good keeper
Seriously??!!! You say this with a straight face Spartan?? OK, so since Gilks is so bad, who is a good one that we should be going after??
Obviously I can't tell you who we should be going for.

But I can't see how an aging semi-retired GK who is average for League 2, who is rooted to his line on crosses and corners, who we brought in as a coach can possibly be a success in a higher division against significantly better players. Just my opinion, I hope I'm wrong I hope Dixon is a lot better than the stats would have it, but it seems unlikely.

irie Cee Bee
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:59 pm

I strongly doubt we would have been promoted if Gilks had not come out of retirement. I give him a lot of credit for our defensive stability as those same players in front of him were there with Crelin and we were leaking plenty goals. As such to me, and from what I saw, outside of one or two mistakes which all players make, he is a good keeper.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests