FA Cup 1st Round Replay..: Stocky Tony’s County Away..Stockport replay Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: FA Cup 1st Round: Stocky Tony’s County (H) Sun 7th Nov @ 3pm

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:59 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:27 am
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:06 am
A disappointing result no doubt, but one that I think can be attributed to personnel issues rather than coaching or structural problems.
The problems have been all season. Either we've miscalculated on the players we've kept and signed OR the coaching of them is not up to it in terms of their defensive shape and roles.

But its 1 or 2. And both come back to the management. The problems off the ball aren't new - they happened right at the start of the season and have continued since. Our defensive record is a shambles.
Yes. If this was one poor defensive display, it wouldn't really be a problem, we'd put it down to a bit of Izzy and Gordon and maybe a mistake from Thomason. Say "we'll that was a bit shit" and await the next game. As it stands, I'm not at all convinced we'll not ship 2 in the replay, whatever our personnel situation looks like.

Reality is we've shipped 2 or more 10 times and kept a clean sheet, just 5 in 22 games and three of those 5 were in the EFL Cup/Trophy...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:02 am

Couple of observations (yes, I did see the game courtesy of D.J.B.)

Being brutally honest we were a bit lucky not to lose yesterday, because a pretty poor (and fortunate) goal from Kachunga (did the keeper have a hole in him?), a soft mistake, some powder-puff defending and a goal from Doyle's endeavour and effort, more or less summed up the game. I'm amazed at Ian Evatt claiming we bossed anything because Stockport opened us up like a can of sardines and their front man bossed us. They also deserved their two well-worked goals. ( It hurts to admit that) Not sure why anybody can claim Doyle is lacking, because possession stats don't actually equate to anything without goals. He needs a big rough front man alongside him, not a Kachunga.The ref too can't escape some criticism because some of his decisions (missing that blatant hand-ball for one and two soft yellow cards).

I'm no authority due to absence, but when I do see Baptiste he frightens me. Far too fond of the square ball and back pass a la Rio Ferdinand and at times his hot potato get shut smacks of panic. There are times when passing is the answer, and others when putting the laces through the ball is the best option.

That's about it. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:27 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:02 am
Couple of observations (yes, I did see the game courtesy of D.J.B.)

Being brutally honest we were a bit lucky not to lose yesterday, because a pretty poor (and fortunate) goal from Kachunga (did the keeper have a hole in him?), a soft mistake, some powder-puff defending and a goal from Doyle's endeavour and effort, more or less summed up the game. I'm amazed at Ian Evatt claiming we bossed anything because Stockport opened us up like a can of sardines and their front man bossed us. They also deserved their two well-worked goals. ( It hurts to admit that) Not sure why anybody can claim Doyle is lacking, because possession stats don't actually equate to anything without goals. He needs a big rough front man alongside him, not a Kachunga.The ref too can't escape some criticism because some of his decisions (missing that blatant hand-ball for one and two soft yellow cards).

I'm no authority due to absence, but when I do see Baptiste he frightens me. Far too fond of the square ball and back pass a la Rio Ferdinand and at times his hot potato get shut smacks of panic. There are times when passing is the answer, and others when putting the laces through the ball is the best option.

That's about it. :wink:
Ian Evatt side's don't do that. Its not what he wants.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 am

Daring to watch the highlights, notable that Dapo was crucial to both our goals, from central positions. I know he’s not a No10 but there are times I’d like his influence nor to be confined to one side of the pitch. Obviously having him behind a striker with two wide men would make us even more open but there might be times that call for it (teams sitting back, or us chasing the game).

Apparently he created the most chances yesterday. We need to create chances. We also need to take them. And of course stop conceding.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:18 am

He's not a 10, but he's probably to best 10 we've got. We might need to play him there for a bit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:19 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 am
Daring to watch the highlights, notable that Dapo was crucial to both our goals, from central positions. I know he’s not a No10 but there are times I’d like his influence nor to be confined to one side of the pitch. Obviously having him behind a striker with two wide men would make us even more open but there might be times that call for it (teams sitting back, or us chasing the game).

Apparently he created the most chances yesterday. We need to create chances. We also need to take them. And of course stop conceding.
I don't see why Dapo can't play as a number 10 if we sit Lee and MJ in midfield. Perhaps play Sheehan off the left to drift inside and bring Dapo in but also provide protection to his full back and I've no idea who on the right but there we are.

I think that would probably be a stronger way to play than Dapo off the left which is a bit one dimensional at times and is partly why we don't create that many early chances as once he cuts in there are only two options.

The priority has to be finding a way to play with more compactness and less stretching out the side because its clear we're struggling with that defensively right now. We're not likely to bag 3 or 4 per game (and no side will consistently) so in this difficult period we need to dig in and look for the marginal 1-0/2-1 wins. Its that simple. Football cannot always be pretty sometimes you've got to simply fight for the results.

EDIT: And entirely agree with Worthy IF we are playing a number 10 I don't see another option.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:31 am

I’ve said for at least a month I’d like to see last season’s “box” of two DMs in front of the centre-backs. I wonder whether there might be a slight disconnect though between those two and Dapo at 10. And if we’ve also got two strikers wide - presumably two from Kacha/Baka/Delf - then it’s still a front-foot formation.

I still suspect the best formation for the players we have right now is a back three but I totes understand people’s reservations.

But our problem IMO isn't formations, it’s transitions. Too often we’re too slow when we win the ball - and far far too often we’re way too slow when we lose it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:35 am

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:31 am
I’ve said for at least a month I’d like to see last season’s “box” of two DMs in front of the centre-backs. I wonder whether there might be a slight disconnect though between those two and Dapo at 10. And if we’ve also got two strikers wide - presumably two from Kacha/Baka/Delf - then it’s still a front-foot formation.

I still suspect the best formation for the players we have right now is a back three but I totes understand people’s reservations.

But our problem IMO isn't formations, it’s transitions. Too often we’re too slow when we win the ball - and far far too often we’re way too slow when we lose it.
There isn't anything wrong with getting players behind the ball being compact and looking to expose teams when their attacks break down with a front 4.

In fact I'd say for all the talk our better results tend to have arisen that way more than just 70% of the ball and leaving large gaps.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:41 am

Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:31 am

Yup. Additional player in the centre (deep mid or back three) and more sprints solves 90% of our defensive issues.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:09 pm

Tough gig next round for whoever wins...Rotherham away

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:13 pm

Probably the worst draw possible besides Wigan :roll:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:16 pm

Shocker

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:21 pm

Away to a small name with a very good side. Awful draw and one they are definitely favourites for right now.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:44 pm

Urgh. Rotherham away. Despise draws against teams in the same league as we're already playing them twice in a season so to get a team near the top of the table makes this a terrible draw. Ah well, like the league cup all over again.

That being said the stats for the last match:

19 - 8 Shots
5 - 3 Shots on target
0 - 2 Goals
72 - 28 Possession %
539 - 216 Passes
82% - 66% pass accuracy
8 - 16 fouls

We've got reason to be positive for the cup match. Just got to be more clinical.

Dodger
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Dodger » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Stockport replay now Wednesday 17th live BBC 2

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:35 pm

Dodger wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:09 pm
:pissed: Cheers

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:35 pm

Dodger wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:09 pm
Welcome to the forum Dodger :pissed:

Worth noting that both clubs receive a broadcast fee of £32,500 for the game being on TV.

"This time next year, we''ll be millionaires"

https://www.thefa.com/news/2021/nov/09/ ... d-20210911

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:44 pm

We'll really have to be up for this one. Stockport on T.V will be like the World Cup, not the F.A.Cup to them. No use thinking about Rotherham unless we earn it and earn it we'll have to do. Let's hope a few lessons have been learned about tightening up our
defence, because unless they have, Mr Evatt's heroes won't be bossing anything. We're good enough to win this, so let's do it. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:15 pm

Well at least if we get done by the non leaguers we'll get paid for it. Not that I'm feeling downbeat or anything. 1🥺

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:44 pm
We'll really have to be up for this one. Stockport on T.V will be like the World Cup, not the F.A.Cup to them. No use thinking about Rotherham unless we earn it and earn it we'll have to do. Let's hope a few lessons have been learned about tightening up our
defence, because unless they have, Mr Evatt's heroes won't be bossing anything. We're good enough to win this, so let's do it. :oyea:
The lesson they will have learnt is to kick the living s*!t out of Dapo. I hope he survives in one piece.