Evatt on the promised land...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Evatt on the promised land...

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:42 am

Tin hats on, lads, Evatt's said we will be in the Prem within 5 years...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... statement/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Evatt on the promised land...

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:00 pm

Jesus. It’s him, it’s in his DNA and whilst he is here he gets backed and I want him to do well. But he loves a good quote to hang himself by!

Here’s one to hang my self by - I hope he’s still in charge in 5 years, as it will mean he’s at least some way towards hitting that target.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:18 pm

I think having that mentality is in itself a good thing provided he hasn't lost sight of the reality of our position as it stands today. He may think there are mitigating circumstances (and, to a degree, there are) but the fact remains we're currently just three points above the relegation zone.

The question of whether it's clever to make these claims in public is a different matter. It's one thing to set a standard, quite another to add pressure.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:53 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:00 pm
Jesus. It’s him, it’s in his DNA and whilst he is here he gets backed and I want him to do well. But he loves a good quote to hang himself by!

Here’s one to hang my self by - I hope he’s still in charge in 5 years, as it will mean he’s at least some way towards hitting that target.
I don't think he's here next season. There's an air of things not being right and I don't think he can sort it. Was wrong last season though, so fingers crossed. 🤞

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:32 pm

He's a long way to go to catch Keith Hill up with his verbal bollocks. He seems to be having a good go though.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:39 pm

I'm confused as we're half way through a season does he mean we'll be there by 2027 so, promoted from the Champ in 2026 or that our Champo promotion will be 2027. Bookie's asking....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:53 pm

Saying you have a vision for the premiership is a good thing.

I have no problem with this.

The outburst after Sheffield Weds however was just shooting yourself in the foot with a shotgun. And wasn’t anything calculated about raising confidence. It was a manager who immediately after a frustrating defeat let their emotions get the better of them. And it had a knock on effect.

Evatt misjudged what this league is. But if you aren’t trying to get bolton to the premiership within 5 years then you shouldn’t be here. We want ambition. What we don’t need is ego or whatever in the way of that ambition.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:54 pm

Makes me cringe when I read his quotes. Seems to believe the "Secret" theory of speaking it into the "universe" and it will become it a reality. At least he is no longer talking about promotion this season anymore.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:58 pm

He's cringe at at times. All part of this business school v dodgy cosmos stuff. Hard edge of ambition v Yank style positive mental attitude.

But I couldn't care less if it works. And you probably have to have that ambition in some form or another
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:30 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:42 am
Tin hats on, lads, Evatt's said we will be in the Prem within 5 years...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... statement/
Champions League winners after what - seven? Eight? All something to look forward to. Cheers Evatt. Who'd have thought you were managing a Cumbrian pub side a few ago :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:30 am
Champions League winners after what - seven? Eight? All something to look forward to. Cheers Evatt. Who'd have thought you were managing a Cumbrian pub side a few ago :roll:
European football via a domestic cup? I'd take a 5th FA Cup win, if he's offering.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:36 pm

He needs David Icke as his assistant, former footballer could come in handy.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:53 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:00 pm

I don't think he's here next season. There's an air of things not being right and I don't think he can sort it. Was wrong last season though, so fingers crossed. 🤞

I know what you mean, but, assuming we stay up this season, then there's no reason to sack him and I don't see anyone else coming in for him (apart from Everton).

Getting to the Prem in five years is going to require either Sharon winning the Lottery or selling a couple of players for BIG MONEY. Neither of which is happening my lifetime.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:20 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:59 pm
I know what you mean
I genuinely don't. I've had a few people say "there's something not right at the club", but I don't see it.

The lads aren't falling out with each other. Nobody is blanking the manager when we lose. There's no briefing against him to the local rags, as we got under other managers.

It looks like there was a blow up around Sarce, which was stamped out immediately. Key players signed new deals to show support for the manager.

The only issue is results - which is obviously the most important thing, but not always a sign of rot.

On the board side they've made money available and publicly praised the manager.

The general trend of the club over the past 18 months has been up.

Where's the issue that has Evatt out? Other than most managers will be out of a job within a year.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:24 pm

http://b-ac.es/dffa7

Evatts dream is to be the first manager to take a club from League two to the Premier League.

Some wonderful quotes in here, I’ll give the podcast a listen.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:10 am

Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' each night .........Dusty Springfield 1964

All Good words to pursue Ian. Words to hang your hat on and also that invite support rather than scorn. We all want to do well, we all have hopes and dreams, but we can't predict where we'll be in five months never mind five years. Four Seasons were much more realistic " Let's hang on to what we've got!" . Latin version Festina Lente (make haste slowly) goes back to the B.C era, but still applies as wise words. Profit and Prophet sound the same but are miles apart. Who, after all, will be playing for us in five years, might even be The Lionesses. :lol: . My mother (R.I.P.) used to you the expression "Laughing on the other side of your face" She was a realist, my mother.

Quien Sabes? meanwhile, COME ON YOU WHITES! :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?