January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:38 pm
Almost impossible to tell from a few stats without seeing them play. Especially young players.
Spot on. Take a long while and a lot of in person scouting to get a proper idea of a youngster and even then you're usually wrong by some metric or other.

I think he has ability. When I watched him for the Arsenal youth side, some time ago, he worked hard and combined well with the lad we have now and the lad currently ripping up in the Prem.

The best option is to sign him up, keep Xav and then use them to lure in Saka once we get to the Prem in 2 years. Easy.

User avatar
Little Green Man
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4471
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Justin Edinburgh

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:17 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:16 pm
jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:31 pm
Politic recalled…..







….. so we can sell him to someone else.
Cremonese in Serie B apparently
I imagine they've booked him into the Excelsior.*






*One for fans of Cabin Pressure.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22977
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:45 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:59 pm
The best option is to sign him up, keep Xav and then use them to lure in Saka once we get to the Prem in 2 years. Easy.
Were we to do that, there’d be complaints about a lack of physical presence. :D

Gary Madine’s contract is expiring.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27590
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:28 pm

^^ Then we'd be like minor fcking Arsenal...bastards would arseache that the ref was allowing our luvvies to get tackled, saying shit like "it's a bit cold for 'em" and we'd sound like a right set of soft arses...

Jaysus wept.

That Icelandic chap. Used to the cold, is he?

GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:54 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:28 pm
That Icelandic chap. Used to the cold, is he?
Na. Very much an Indoor Icelander.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22977
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:42 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:28 pm
^^ Then we'd be like minor fcking Arsenal...bastards would arseache that the ref was allowing our luvvies to get tackled, saying shit like "it's a bit cold for 'em" and we'd sound like a right set of soft arses...

Jaysus wept.

That Icelandic chap. Used to the cold, is he?
Mate, the evidence round here seems to show that soft arses will always arseache about something. :D

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22977
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am

CODE: SELECT ALL Sports Editor of the South London Press says "Bolton are progressing with their attempts to land Jon Dadi Bodvarsson." "negotiations with Bolton Wanderers have progressed at the start of this week."

Also interested to see that Matt Smith, the 6ft6 Millwall forward who used to bully us for QPR, is probably dropping down two divisions to join Salford. He's 33 in summer and not, I fancy, an Evatt player. But certainly a target man.

GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:26 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am
Also interested to see that Matt Smith, the 6ft6 Millwall forward who used to bully us for QPR, is probably dropping down two divisions to join Salford. He's 33 in summer and not, I fancy, an Evatt player. But certainly a target man.
Permanent deal for a 33 year old on a high wage. I don't think that's our future.

I'd love to know if Dad Bod is seen as a possible free transfer for the summer, or is intended as a stop-gap.

I feel like Charles, Baka, Dapo and Kachunga all being contracted beyond the summer means anyone getting a deal would have to be pretty special or a young lad with a lot of potential.

The_Gun
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:43 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:26 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:17 am
Also interested to see that Matt Smith, the 6ft6 Millwall forward who used to bully us for QPR, is probably dropping down two divisions to join Salford. He's 33 in summer and not, I fancy, an Evatt player. But certainly a target man.
Permanent deal for a 33 year old on a high wage. I don't think that's our future.

I'd love to know if Dad Bod is seen as a possible free transfer for the summer, or is intended as a stop-gap.

I feel like Charles, Baka, Dapo and Kachunga all being contracted beyond the summer means anyone getting a deal would have to be pretty special or a young lad with a lot of potential.
You'd presume stop-gap, but it seems a bit of an odd one to me given we're likely going to have to pay him good wages and we have no realistic chance of getting playoffs this season.

GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:44 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:43 am
no realistic chance of getting playoffs this season.
Oh ye of little blind optimism.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22977
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:59 am

Bod’s getting no game time at Millwall. Contract ending. Suits all parties to do a six month loan and see where we stand in summer.

The_Gun
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 pm

Aye, maybe we view him as someone good enough to help take us up next year. I will reserve judgment until I've seen him in a Bolton shirt anyway.

Iles is intimating that Bod and Dempsey are the two we remain in the running for, which suggests we won't be bringing in extra cover at DM or CB. That wouldn't necessarily be too much of a worry now we've shown we can successfully play with a back three, however, another injury to MJ would leave us looking at Tutte or Johnston in the middle of the park.

Edit: That's assuming that Tutte is back fit shortly, of course.

GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:35 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:30 pm
another injury to MJ would leave us looking at Tutte or Johnston in the middle of the park.

Edit: That's assuming that Tutte is back fit shortly, of course.
Na. With a back 3 we are much less reliant upon MJ. Dempsey can play that deeper role as a terrier alongside Morley if need be. In an ideal world we'd loan in someone like Jamie Bowden, who Spurs just recalled from Oldham, to challenge MJ; but we should be fine.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22977
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm

I’d also be slightly happier with Brocky (on the right) and Baps (middle) as emergency cover in a back three. Interestingly in this morning’s piece Iles mentions Baps as a trusted leader off-field, though Evatt doesn’t namecheck the auld fella.

User avatar
brommers95
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:45 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm
I’d also be slightly happier with Brocky (on the right) and Baps (middle) as emergency cover in a back three. Interestingly in this morning’s piece Iles mentions Baps as a trusted leader off-field, though Evatt doesn’t namecheck the auld fella.
Speaking of Brockbank, it's interesting to note that Kevin Davies' agency uploaded some clips of the young defender last week, I assume with a view to getting him a move either this window or in the summer.


GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm
I’d also be slightly happier with Brocky (on the right) and Baps (middle) as emergency cover in a back three. Interestingly in this morning’s piece Iles mentions Baps as a trusted leader off-field, though Evatt doesn’t namecheck the auld fella.
Yes, I was wondering about whether Brockbank might finally find a role that suits him in this system. Also wondering where Senior would fit into it.

Obviously the really tricky one is Dapo. Charles has been signed for a reason and Evatt obviously wants another target man type, which has always been part of his "ideal" side...so with Lee playing as he is, where does Dapo go? I mean, "on the bench", I know; but that's not sustainable.

GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:57 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:45 pm
Speaking of Brockbank, it's interesting to note that Kevin Davies' agency uploaded some clips of the young defender last week, I assume with a view to getting him a move either this window or in the summer.
He's too old to be a youth option now and he's clearly not going to break into the starting 11. It's best for his career if he moves on before next season.

We need to look at getting a proper "prospect" in to replace him (could be Senior, but not sure there).

Shadrach Ogie, Connor Taylor...those sorts. Lads who are physically and technically a level above Brocky, as much as I like the lad personally.

User avatar
brommers95
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by brommers95 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:57 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:45 pm
Speaking of Brockbank, it's interesting to note that Kevin Davies' agency uploaded some clips of the young defender last week, I assume with a view to getting him a move either this window or in the summer.
He's too old to be a youth option now and he's clearly not going to break into the starting 11. It's best for his career if he moves on before next season.

We need to look at getting a proper "prospect" in to replace him (could be Senior, but not sure there).

Shadrach Ogie, Connor Taylor...those sorts. Lads who are physically and technically a level above Brocky, as much as I like the lad personally.
Yeah I think it’s pretty clear that his Wanderer’s race is run. I also think Senior will be released this summer (I believe his contract is due to expire).

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 13239
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:59 am
Bod’s getting no game time at Millwall. Contract ending. Suits all parties to do a six month loan and see where we stand in summer.
Not if they want Money for the loan - Talk of them wanting £100k!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 pm
Not if they want Money for the loan - Talk of them wanting £100k!
Can't see that. It's the equivalent of an extra 6-7k per week over the rest of the season. That's double what some of our best players are on and then we'd also be contributing to his wages.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 14 guests