January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:58 pm

Number Nine... Number Nine... Number Nine...

18-month contract.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/januar ... -on-board/
Wanderers have completed the permanent signing of striker Jon Dadi Bodvarsson to add further international quality to Ian Evatt’s squad.

The Icelander arrives from Championship side Millwall as the Whites’ fifth signing of the January transfer window and becomes Wanderers’ new number nine after agreeing an 18-month contract at the University of Bolton Stadium.

Bodvarsson, 29, has been capped 62 times by his country and continues an illustrious line of his countrymen to sign for Wanderers, led by Premier League stars Gudni Bergsson, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Gretar Steinsson.

“It’s taken some hard work from all sides and we’re delighted to have him on board,” said Wanderers’ boss Evatt. “Jon has bought into the project and the club and what we’re trying to do and the history of the club has kind of helped us with this one, with the amount of Icelandic players we’ve had in the past.

“Jon watched a lot of Bolton growing up. He was almost a fan. So it’s great to have him on board and add some more strength to our squad. He’s an international player, played in the World Cup and is only 29 with loads to offer. He brings a lot of experience, a lot of good qualities to this team and we’re excited to have him. He’s another piece to the jigsaw.”

As well as his international pedigree – which includes appearances in the 2016 European Championships and the 2018 World Cup Finals – Bodvarsson also brings vast Championship experience and a goal-scoring track record from four different countries. After starting his career with hometown club Selfoss and firing them to promotion to Iceland’s top tier, Bodvarsson moved to Norwegian club Viking and then onto Germany with Kaiserslautern.

His first taste of English football came when he joined Wolverhampton Wanderers in August, 2016 before signing for Reading 12 months later.

Bodvarsson – whose arrival takes Wanderers’ number of Icelandic players past and present close to double figures – scored 17 goals in 55 appearances for the Royals, with his 10 goals in 2017/18 making him joint top scorer for the Championship side.

The frontman then joined Millwall in July, 2019 and made 78 appearances for the Lions, including 69 in the Championship, with half-a-dozen goals coming in his first season at the New Den.

A starting member of the Iceland side that knocked England out to reach the quarter-finals of the 2016 Euros in France, Bodvarsson remains part of his country’s plans and scored in a 1-1 draw against Uganda in one of two friendlies played by Iceland last week.

And after ending his stay in South London, the striker – who is technically strong with a fantastic work ethic and impressive physical presence – will now add an extra dimension to Wanderers’ attacking options following the arrival of new striking colleague Dion Charles from Accrington Stanley earlier in the window.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:45 pm
To be fair Worthy, the fact that Salah/Firmino/Mane are nearing 30 is the main reason that their contract extension negotiations are taking so long. Were they 26, Liverpool would be happier to sign off the expense – and they'd be happier to sign the contract, knowing it wouldn't be their last big payday.

That said, I don't worry that turning 30 is going to be a big problem for Bod. I worry about us over-committing, but not because of that birthday. I don't think Bod has ever relied on a blistering turn of pace.
All a bit moot now.

I don't doubt that age is a factor. Just that it shouldn't be viewed as a huge risk because someone's 30. Yeah, take into account they're 30 and they already run like a 40 year old, but 30 in itself isn't the inhibitor, plenty of great players given great service aged over 30. What they might ask for as a player who's 30, might of course be an inhibitor - but that's little different than any other negotiation where, what someone is asking isn't aligned to what you want to offer...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:02 pm
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:45 pm
To be fair Worthy, the fact that Salah/Firmino/Mane are nearing 30 is the main reason that their contract extension negotiations are taking so long. Were they 26, Liverpool would be happier to sign off the expense – and they'd be happier to sign the contract, knowing it wouldn't be their last big payday.

That said, I don't worry that turning 30 is going to be a big problem for Bod. I worry about us over-committing, but not because of that birthday. I don't think Bod has ever relied on a blistering turn of pace.
All a bit moot now.

I don't doubt that age is a factor. Just that it shouldn't be viewed as a huge risk because someone's 30. Yeah, take into account they're 30 and they already run like a 40 year old, but 30 in itself isn't the inhibitor, plenty of great players given great service aged over 30. What they might ask for as a player who's 30, might of course be an inhibitor - but that's little different than any other negotiation where, what someone is asking isn't aligned to what you want to offer...
Oh for sure. As I say, it doesn't worry me.

18-month contract confirmed. Sounds about right. 2.5yr would have worried me more, but just in case his face doesn't fit rather than expecting his leg to fall off.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:04 pm

Pitch(edge), Shirt, Grin.
Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 17.04.14.png
Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 17.04.14.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 1312 times

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:05 pm

I suppose we have to take into account he’s played in a World Cup. It’s somewhat of a coup from that perspective.

I do find these social media announcements of signings increasingly cringeworthy.

But hope he does well here. Sounds keen. Seems the right sort. Fingers crossed all round.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:05 pm

Like every other signing, I'm sure people will watch and make up their own minds up :-)

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 pm

Still waiting over Dempsey, per IE, with a reported bid of 150k plus bonuses on the table...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... e-dempsey/
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:20 pm

^^ More mention of "being held to account in the right way"....seems fairly apparent someone issued a proper old fashioned bollocking! :-)

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:05 pm
Like every other signing, I'm sure people will watch and make up their own minds up :-)

A Millwall-supporting mate has already made his mind up: "Probably be ok in League One." (That came after he told me any number of Millwall fans had been willing to drive JDB to the UniBol!)
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:57 pm

Decent pedigree, we love an Icelander. New number 9, what’s not to like!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:05 pm
I suppose we have to take into account he’s played in a World Cup. It’s somewhat of a coup from that perspective.

I do find these social media announcements of signings increasingly cringeworthy.

But hope he does well here. Sounds keen. Seems the right sort. Fingers crossed all round.
I loved the description “nearly a fan”. Stretching it a bit!!

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:58 pm
“Jon watched a lot of Bolton growing up. He was almost a fan.
'almost' eh, lol

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:26 pm

Welcome, Dad Bod.

I find myself unconvinced but intrigued.
I'm wondering if, rather than any physical quality, his main asset might prove to be nous: more intelligent movement, better positioning, improved technique, etc.

The omens are good. We rarely sign a bad Icelander and the last centre-forward to join us from Milwall did rather well.
Last edited by nicholaldo on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:27 pm

anyway, apropos of nothing and definitely off-topic:

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:48 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 pm
Still waiting over Dempsey, per IE, with a reported bid of 150k plus bonuses on the table...

Feels like it’s a classic case of brinksmanship from Gillingham’s owner. They’ll still see us a relegation rival which is probably why they’re not giving us a yes or no.

Making us wait benefits them in one of two ways - we either up our offer or we hold firm and we miss out on alternative targets. They can then reject the offer towards the end of the window.

If they haven’t accepted the bid by Monday I think we should move on to other targets. Not sure we should be paying anymore than £150k for a player out of contract in 5 months.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:56 pm

Sweet Jesus, we’re a League one side who have managed to pull in an international striker under 30 and not some no mark who once played three matches for Burkina Faso under 23’s. This one is a real, live, current international. I’m not really sure what some of you want or expect?! If he’s sh1te, he’s sellable or releasable. Signing any striker is a gamble, but as gambles go, this one seems to be half decent with very little risk.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:01 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:48 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:10 pm

Feels like it’s a classic case of brinksmanship from Gillingham’s owner. They’ll still see us a relegation rival which is probably why they’re not giving us a yes or no.

Making us wait benefits them in one of two ways - we either up our offer or we hold firm and we miss out on alternative targets. They can then reject the offer towards the end of the window.

If they haven’t accepted the bid by Monday I think we should move on to other targets. Not sure we should be paying anymore than £150k for a player out of contract in 5 months.
Depends how badly Evatt wants him :conf:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:23 pm

Have never seen him play myself but I am happy that we have been able to pull this off. We have been clamoring for a physical #9 based on what we needed, and we have got one ! An International with experience. I have no doubt he is a better no. 9 hold up player as per his pedigree a la Kevin Davies than Baka who cannot do that from what I have seen. The perfect foil for Charles. Cant wait to see them play together.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 pm

I’m impressed by the fact he’s clearly taken a massive pay cut to come here. Hopefully he feels like he’s been freed from the shackles of a high wage and the weight of expectation that came with being quite a high profile signing at Millwall.

Like ICB says, I think he’ll be an upgrade on Baka. Tentatively positive about this one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:29 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:56 pm
Sweet Jesus, we’re a League one side who have managed to pull in an international striker under 30 and not some no mark who once played three matches for Burkina Faso under 23’s. This one is a real, live, current international. I’m not really sure what some of you want or expect?! If he’s sh1te, he’s sellable or releasable. Signing any striker is a gamble, but as gambles go, this one seems to be half decent with very little risk.
Got to say I was thinking this. I know nowt about him nor any of our other signings beyond what you can glean online.

But football fans and Bolton fans right now are an odd bunch.

Sign a 26 year old striker who hadn’t played all season from Accrington and has had one good league season in his life for what for us represents a sizeable fee…yay get the bunting out.

Sign a kid from Rochdale a few places off the bottom of the league pyramid again for a fee with pretty mixed reviews from, not far off non league Rochdale fans…yay superb

Sign someone from the championship on a free who has 60 odd international caps and played in a World Cup. Boooo. Boooo.

No idea what’s going on but seems the complete reverse of a decade or two ago when no mark signings were dismissed immediately and a name no matter how ludicrous was lauded. Weird.