January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:28 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:21 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:19 am
If that was to happen I think we'd have to blame ourselves. The onus is on us to have a contingency plan in place.
That's always the case, but it's not like you can say to a decent player "Just sit there whilst we try and sign someone better." Lads who are known to be available (and who have quality to them) tend to have more than just you after them.

I'm certain they'll have irons in the fire, but we are clearly focused on one man for now.

I doubt we'd put it quite explicitly as that but I'm sure players and agents know the score with this kind of thing.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:33 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:28 am
I doubt we'd put it quite explicitly as that but I'm sure players and agents know the score with this kind of thing.
I'd guess the most likely back up options would be loans. I can't see us just dropping our interest in Dempsey if we don't get him this window.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:03 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:33 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:28 am
I'd guess the most likely back up options would be loans. I can't see us just dropping our interest in Dempsey if we don't get him this window.
I wonder about Shipley, who is similarly lapsing in contract and more out of favour. His left-sidedness means he might not “clash” with getting Dempsey in summer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:07 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:03 am
I wonder about Shipley, who is similarly lapsing in contract and more out of favour. His left-sidedness means he might not “clash” with getting Dempsey in summer.
I like Shipley and would love to see him here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:36 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:07 am
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:03 am
I like Shipley and would love to see him here.
Certainty feels like a back-up plan, and one we might hear more of if Gills drag their feet. Wouldn’t be the first time a buying club had let slip an interest in an alternative. I can also imagine both players in next season’s squad.

The danger would be if other clubs then step up (and Gills back down). We wouldn’t be guaranteed to get Dempsey in summer; we’d have to hope he stayed - at a relegation rival. Such is the juggle.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:43 am

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:36 am
I can also imagine both players in next season’s squad.
Next season's squad is something I've been giving a lot of thought to and there are too many variables for me to feel confident about anything.

Without Dempsey signing we already have 5 midfielders who have started first team games this season contracted beyond summer and that's counting Dapo as a forward and ignoring Darcy.

If Dapo counts as a forward we have 5 of those going into next season.

Only 3 definite centre backs, though. Also only one certified wingback and then arguably Izzy. The Jones and his perfect versatility, the sexy bastard.

Very much a summer of the defence, you'd imagine.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:16 pm

Dempsey starts for Gills.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:20 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:16 pm
And ends up on the losing side again. That may just spur him on to force the matter from his end.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:02 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:20 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:16 pm
And ends up on the losing side again. That may just spur him on to force the matter from his end.
Evatt confirms there has been no progress in last couple of days: “We want the player and we have made an offer but we are still waiting to hear back from Gillingham. We will pursue it as best we can within reason. He is a player we want and like and we feel light in that midfield area.”

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:43 am
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:36 am
I can also imagine both players in next season’s squad.
Next season's squad is something I've been giving a lot of thought to and there are too many variables for me to feel confident about anything.

Without Dempsey signing we already have 5 midfielders who have started first team games this season contracted beyond summer and that's counting Dapo as a forward and ignoring Darcy.

If Dapo counts as a forward we have 5 of those going into next season.

Only 3 definite centre backs, though. Also only one certified wingback and then arguably Izzy. The Jones and his perfect versatility, the sexy bastard.

Very much a summer of the defence, you'd imagine.
There were a couple of times today, where he came comfortable second on headers. Not a criticism of Gethin as a thoroughly decent human being, but a CB, he ain't.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 pm
There were a couple of times today, where he came comfortable second on headers. Not a criticism of Gethin as a thoroughly decent human being, but a CB, he ain't.
Perfect he ain't, but he plays well in the wide role. Never a centre back in a million years in a two, but he offers enough elsewhere for us to lump that issue for now. Worth looking at in the summer, for sure.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:36 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:22 pm
Perfect he ain't, but he plays well in the wide role. Never a centre back in a million years in a two, but he offers enough elsewhere for us to lump that issue for now. Worth looking at in the summer, for sure.
I could see a team, looking to exploit it before the end of the season,,,be amazed if they don't...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:36 pm
I could see a team, looking to exploit it before the end of the season,,,be amazed if they don't...
Shrews did, certainly. Had their lads move off onto him and Johnston as much as possible. Team's also target Williams' lack of mobility, but we have lived with that for a while. There are going to be trade-offs in League One and I think, at the minute, Jones is (forgive the joke) head and shoulders above the other options we have and I can't think of an obvious improvement to make this window.

As I say, I think there are options we could look at in the summer.

I won't be shocked if Evatt sticks with Jones through into next season in that role, but equally I won't be shocked if he gets someone else in.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:56 am
The dick move here from Gillingham would be to wait until after their last game of the month on the 29th before rejecting the bid we made and giving a possible relegation rival no time to sort a replacement.

Hopefully we get it over the line.
If I'm sat in Gillingham's seat at the table (and assuming I didn't need the wonga) that's precisely where I'd go. Not a dick move at all...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:49 pm
I won't be shocked if Evatt sticks with Jones through into next season in that role
Through to summer, perhaps.

One of the benefits of playing Geth as third CB is that it's easier to switch formation mid-game, perhaps without even making a sub. If you play a third "proper" centre-back - say, Aimson - you have much less ability to change.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:47 am

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 pm
Through to summer, perhaps.

One of the benefits of playing Geth as third CB is that it's easier to switch formation mid-game, perhaps without even making a sub. If you play a third "proper" centre-back - say, Aimson - you have much less ability to change.
Also hard to build a squad for two quite different systems. Saying "we can switch from 5-3-2 to 4-3-3" sounds great, but those two systems typically require very different squads.

Players like Gethin and Fossey bridge gaps somewhat.

Hopefully that's also true of Dapo. I wouldn't want him to get anywhere near a '10' or striker role in our 4-3-3, where he's very much a winger; but in this 5-3-2 with it's potential for a 10-to-false-9 player he might do very well.

The fun thing about Charles' goal is that other teams now have to look at shutting him down as well as Dapo. They can't double up on both, so there should be gaps to exploit at times.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:09 pm

Ipswich have recalled Simpson. That's a shame. I was really hoping they'd lost their minds and didn't rate him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm

Good spot from Lion of Vienna writer Matt Wood that Shrewsbury left-sider Nathanael (yes, that's how it's spelt) Ogbeta, who made a pest of himself running at us with and without the ball yesterday, is out of contract in summer.

Moreover, he's a local lad (to us), being Salford-born. Having played for England U17, U18 and U20, he was at Man City until 363 days ago, when he joined the Shrews on an 18-month deal. This, I would take it, means nobody would be owed much (if anything) in development fees: surely that would have been for City to claim from Shrews, who can hardly claim dominion after a year.

Played left-back for City and plays wing-back for Shrews, so there's good flexibility there. One more thing: he was born in 2001 so he will still be technically underage next season, thus not counting against the EFL limit. I don't know how good he's been generally - although I see some positive reports - but if he passes muster I wouldn't be upset to see him coming over in summer to replace Liam Gordon and challenge Declan John.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:15 pm

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:02 pm
Good spot from Lion of Vienna writer Matt Wood that Shrewsbury left-sider Nathanael (yes, that's how it's spelt) Ogbeta, who made a pest of himself running at us with and without the ball yesterday, is out of contract in summer.

Moreover, he's a local lad (to us), being Salford-born. Having played for England U17, U18 and U20, he was at Man City until 363 days ago, when he joined the Shrews on an 18-month deal. This, I would take it, means nobody would be owed much (if anything) in development fees: surely that would have been for City to claim from Shrews, who can hardly claim dominion after a year.

Played left-back for City and plays wing-back for Shrews, so there's good flexibility there. One more thing: he was born in 2001 so he will still be technically underage next season, thus not counting against the EFL limit. I don't know how good he's been generally - although I see some positive reports - but if he passes muster I wouldn't be upset to see him coming over in summer to replace Liam Gordon and challenge Declan John.
If we persist with this system I’d have thought he’s exactly the sort we need at LWB. I think Gordon’s improved. Do I fancy him as a LWB in league one? Not much tbh.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:15 pm
If we persist with this system I’d have thought he’s exactly the sort we need at LWB. I think Gordon’s improved. Do I fancy him as a LWB in league one? Not much tbh.
I bear Liam no ill will, and thank him for his efforts, but he's 23 in May and like you I'm not entirely sure he's good enough for this division, let alone potentially the next one up.

If we want to improve we need to constantly seek better players for every position, and particularly ones with headroom to improve. Again, I don't know much about Ogbeta but the City/England past suggests technical proficiency to add to the direct running that made me twitch a couple of times yesterday.

You also imagine he might be reasonably easily tempted away from Shrewsbury (town and club) for Bolton, partly for family reasons, partly for ambition. Nothing against the Salop side but I think we, too, have headroom to improve.

Coming to the end of my shift now but at some point I'll check Ogebta's stats, although playing for a Cotterill side rarely helps yer numbers.