Doing it by numbers..V Shrewsury away Sat 22nd Jan. 3'oclock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Doing it by numbers..V Shrewsury away Sat 22nd Jan. 3'oclock

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:47 pm

One thing I did notice; we seemed to do a fair bit of chasing runners who had plenty space to do it in. When we press up we tend to leave much more space behind than the opposition allow us. I've noticed the same thing in a few games. Our defence played well enough and M.J seemed to tackle with gusto today, but also looked a bit off pace at times. It's harder for a big lad to chase pacey forwards especially if they push too far up.
The amount of crosses into our box gave me a bit of a twitch at times. I was totally chuffed with Fossey who policed the right wing so well.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:29 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:26 pm
Picky, but I honestly thought the ball in was a little behind him and he did really well to check and hit it....
It was a superb effort, but it was also one of the few times we found a forward, to feet and in space. It came from us playing pass and press stuff rather than lumping it down field.

We're working a lot on shape at the back; you can see that. I have no problem with us drilling that into the players and worrying less about other aspects; but I think we've seen in the past two games that it means we are giving up too many chances.

Shrewsbury especially was a very large slice of luck to go with any judgement (and Evatt made a huge error in the first half with his midfield shape).

When the lads are comfortable in this shape and are getting it down and passing it, as Evatt has said we need to start doing, we will look a lot better over the 90.

Regardless, that goal was special and when you factor in the birth of his second kid he must be flying right now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:22 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:29 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:26 pm
Picky, but I honestly thought the ball in was a little behind him and he did really well to check and hit it....
It was a superb effort, but it was also one of the few times we found a forward, to feet and in space. It came from us playing pass and press stuff rather than lumping it down field.

We're working a lot on shape at the back; you can see that. I have no problem with us drilling that into the players and worrying less about other aspects; but I think we've seen in the past two games that it means we are giving up too many chances.

Shrewsbury especially was a very large slice of luck to go with any judgement (and Evatt made a huge error in the first half with his midfield shape).

When the lads are comfortable in this shape and are getting it down and passing it, as Evatt has said we need to start doing, we will look a lot better over the 90.

Regardless, that goal was special and when you factor in the birth of his second kid he must be flying right now.
Football is a simple game. Keep it out of your net. We had enough numbers back to do that mostly. A few scary moments. And then find a way to score. We did.

There are parts that we need to work on. Ways out that I think need to get better. But with earlier balls not more sideways passing.

But this league is about competing, standing up to it then finding some quality.

We’ve done that in the last two and won. Clean sheets as Evatt says were the bedrock of promotion last season and have to be the starting point.

More 1-0’s will do nicely.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:28 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:46 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:44 pm
Sunderland haven't lost away since November 2nd.

Nice easy win for us next game.
We'll shit 'em :wink:
Im going. It'll be wank
Can we pay you not to?
I'll chip in!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:28 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:46 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:44 pm
Sunderland haven't lost away since November 2nd.

Nice easy win for us next game.
We'll shit 'em :wink:
Im going. It'll be wank
Can we pay you not to?
I'll chip in!

He can be bought for fray bentos pies!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:22 am
Football is a simple game. Keep it out of your net. We had enough numbers back to do that mostly. A few scary moments. And then find a way to score. We did.
Chess is a simple game. Keep your king out of check and figure out a way to checkmate your opponent.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:50 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:22 am
Chess is a simple game. Keep your king out of check and figure out a way to checkmate your opponent.
:lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:50 pm

Golf and snooker are simply tidying up. No bad thing.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:29 am
What we've seen the last two games is 2 wins, 6 points. 3 goals for. None against. Sorta the point of professional sport.

I'll take thar over 40 chances and 2, 2-0 defeats.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:23 pm

I don't think anyone would disagree but I think we're in slight danger of losing sight of the fact that playing well and creating changes tends to correlate pretty strongly with winning. No harm in winning without playing well. You're going to struggle if they're the only games you win though.

Of course a big part of playing well is defending properly and there's a been a gigantic improvement there. Still work to do on getting rid of the bathwater though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:51 pm
So now it’s the other side. Hold firm. Do the dirty.

Very good free-kick purchase from Charles. Clever lad. I like him a lot.
Yeah I'm a big fan too so far. Precisely the sort of little shitbag we've been crying out for. (I think) Ghost compared him to a lower league Suarez which I think seems fair so far. Always busy and scurrying about, really good feet and looks electric around the box. Good signs bearing in mind he's had no football.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:50 pm

The ball to Charles was behind him
It wasn't behind him. That would be basically impossible as Charles is literally facing Afolayan, who plays in onto his right foot. Anyway, it was an absolute beauty :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:48 pm

"We scraped a win against Shrewsbury, let's not improve."

It's bold.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:23 pm
I don't think anyone would disagree but I think we're in slight danger of losing sight of the fact that playing well and creating changes tends to correlate pretty strongly with winning. No harm in winning without playing well. You're going to struggle if they're the only games you win though.

Of course a big part of playing well is defending properly and there's a been a gigantic improvement there. Still work to do on getting rid of the bathwater though.
I'm not suggesting we shouldn't create chances. :-)

Something that correlates a lot stronger to winning is keeping a clean sheet and scoring at least one! At time's we're absolutely in danger of losing sight of that fact.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:48 pm
"We scraped a win against Shrewsbury, let's not improve."

It's bold.
As suggested by precisely no one?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:26 pm
(I think) Ghost compared him to a lower league Suarez which I think seems fair so far. Always busy and scurrying about, really good feet and looks electric around the box. Good signs bearing in mind he's had no football.
I've been so impressed with him. Great attitude and plenty of ability. He has plenty of improving to do, but his work rate is making up for a lot of his lack of sharpness. He makes chances for himself, which is huge for us. What we need to see from him and whoever his partner is is the ability to attack the balls that are coming in from Morley, Fossey and John. There are some major things we need to improve, but also some small issues that will immediately improve us if we can sort them.

If we can add Dempsey's own brand of hard working, skilful shithousery then we're going to be horrible to play against. Teams will have to work very, very hard to beat us if we can maintain that defensive shape and have those two harassing everyone.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:52 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:23 pm

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't create chances. :-)

Something that correlates a lot stronger to winning is keeping a clean sheet and scoring at least one! At time's we're absolutely in danger of losing sight of that fact.
Can something be said to correlate to itself :D ??

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:29 pm
Can something be said to correlate to itself :D ??
Lonely blokes watching Babestation?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:08 pm
I've read this thread back. Did you think when I said we were "giving up too many chances" I meant we weren't creating enough? I meant we were giving the opposition too many openings.

We are focusing on shape and it's too mechanical to allow us to play fluidly, which is costing us possession. That's letting the opposition set up too many attacks. If we can get the shape to just be automatic and then start to play our passing game we will keep more clean sheets, not fewer.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:42 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:08 pm
I've read this thread back. Did you think when I said we were "giving up too many chances" I meant we weren't creating enough? I meant we were giving the opposition too many openings.

We are focusing on shape and it's too mechanical to allow us to play fluidly, which is costing us possession. That's letting the opposition set up too many attacks. If we can get the shape to just be automatic and then start to play our passing game we will keep more clean sheets, not fewer.
I did indeed think you were referring to the other end of the pitch. Evatt said after Ipswich that there was a lot more work to do and I don't disagree. But there's a fair bit less of it to do from a clean sheet than a 2 goal deficit. I neither object to us passing nor to us creating chances but they're a means to an end.

Yesterday probably wasn't our finest passing 90, but as long as they were nil we were still in it and made it count. Bearing in mind we leaked 5 to a non-league team, that felt (as with last week) to be a step in the right direction.