Captain Fantastic...

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Captain Fantastic...

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:33 am

Evatt praises Santos as a quality player who is pivotal to the project and calls on him and Geth to lead the squad on a real push.

Nice to read positive stuff after a win.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... do-santos/

GhostoftheBok
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 am

Another piece featuring Santos. The most interesting bit is when Iles adds in that Sarce wanted out as early as December 2020.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... pers-role/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 30670
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:00 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 am
Another piece featuring Santos. The most interesting bit is when Iles adds in that Sarce wanted out as early as December 2020.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... pers-role/
Also confirms there was a bust up of some kind after Plymouth. Which we all knew. In spite of the clubs silence and/or denials.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38005
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 am

I've already managed to forget about Sarcevic. He isn't any part of our future - move on.
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22953
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 am
I've already managed to forget about Sarcevic. He isn't any part of our future - move on.
Speaking as someone who was up till nearly 4am writing a historical football feature, I'd say looking back is a vital part of fandom. (Why, there was a bloke on here only the other day talking about our defence in the first half of last season :wink: )

Football fans are always retrospective, and over time things tend to get simplified. Assuming we don't do something like go down on the last day after being 3-0 up, it feels like The Sarcevic Incident is going to be the thing that sticks in the mind from this season; it's certainly one of the most literally unbelievable transfers I've ever seen. (You may recall I mentioned Stockport's interest on here with an addendum saying "Aye, and we'd be interested in Trent Alexander-Arnold". :oops: )

It polarised the fans, and to an extent still does, especially while the "10" slot remains unfilled – and perhaps even afterwards: as Ghost suggests on another thread, any wobble from Dempsey or AN Other will have some saying Sarce is still missed, especially if we're on a losing run or the gaffer's gobbing off. (This is not new. I'm reminded of Simon Marland's first Wanderers history book, in which he reports that any miss by Lofthouse would have old-timers complaining Albert Shepherd would have broken the net. :mrgreen: )

Anyway, I find it fascinating to read that our skipper was sounding out suitors six months into a two-year contract. I also note he's scored two and assisted none in 14 games so far, two divisions down, so maybe the footballing decision was right even if it was reached in haste. The team has moved on, even if the fans look back. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38005
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:25 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:39 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 am
I've already managed to forget about Sarcevic. He isn't any part of our future - move on.
Speaking as someone who was up till nearly 4am writing a historical football feature, I'd say looking back is a vital part of fandom. (Why, there was a bloke on here only the other day talking about our defence in the first half of last season :wink: )

Oh, I don't disagree. I do, however, take issue with you missing my BC reference in the match thread title, but that can wait :D .

Although I'm sure yesterday's post was more to do with Evatt's stubbornness, no?

Mate, nobody drones on about one Friday evening in Hull quite like me, but players are transient, like it or not. The 12 year old me actually cried when Worthy left. It was akin to what I would come to understand as the death of a relative.

But I won't be the only one on here who said we needed to sign Matt Clarke, or that Djorkaeff had another season in him.

I guess sometimes we all need to have faith in those who work with these guys on a daily basis, and although I regularly doubt Evatt's thought process, I think he called it right on Sarcevic. We haven't, and I don't believe we will miss him.
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22953
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:25 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:39 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:06 am
I've already managed to forget about Sarcevic. He isn't any part of our future - move on.
Speaking as someone who was up till nearly 4am writing a historical football feature, I'd say looking back is a vital part of fandom. (Why, there was a bloke on here only the other day talking about our defence in the first half of last season :wink: )
Oh, I don't disagree. I do, however, take issue with you missing my BC reference in the match thread title, but that can wait :D .

Although I'm sure yesterday's post was more to do with Evatt's stubbornness, no?

Mate, nobody drones on about one Friday evening in Hull quite like me, but players are transient, like it or not. The 12 year old me actually cried when Worthy left. It was akin to what I would come to understand as the death of a relative.

But I won't be the only one on here who said we needed to sign Matt Clarke, or that Djorkaeff had another season in him.

I guess sometimes we all need to have faith in those who work with these guys on a daily basis, and although I regularly doubt Evatt's thought process, I think he called it right on Sarcevic. We haven't, and I don't believe we will miss him.
I noted the BC reference with a smile :D

For me, the Sarce argument (Sarcegument?) is very present and topical because it colours people's perceptions of the manager, one way or other. Doesn't take a mind-reader to see which side I'm on - as I said right away, once players are gone, they're gone, we move on with the badge and those currently honoured to serve.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22429
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm

I think we clearly have missed him but only temporarily. Sheehan getting injured went also Lee and MJ missing. We've now signed Morley and hopefully one more and then we'll be more than reet.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 11748
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:54 pm

We wouldn’t have missed him had we the signings we have now…it was the timing for me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 30670
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:37 pm
I think we clearly have missed him but only temporarily. Sheehan getting injured went also Lee and MJ missing. We've now signed Morley and hopefully one more and then we'll be more than reet.
We still haven’t got a player who offered the qualities Sarce did.

I don’t think many would have batted an eyelid if he went in January. It was the timing and obvious the result of a bust up.

It’s the fact they didn’t just say there was a disagreement and Sarce has gone as a result and tried some BS stuff to pretend it was just normal.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27570
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 pm

Of course there are always the hard tangible things like 2 goals and 0 assists, but as a sort of aside, didn't Stockport go top, last night?They were 10th when he joined them if memory serves...Of course all of that could be in spite of Sarce... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38005
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 pm

We still haven’t got a player who offered the qualities Sarce did.
Wouldn't you agree that we have by far and away a more cohesive unit now? I would.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 27570
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 pm

We still haven’t got a player who offered the qualities Sarce did.
Wouldn't you agree that we have by far and away a more cohesive unit now? I would.
There have been numerous other additions and a change in formation - but yes.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 22953
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 pm
Of course there are always the hard tangible things like 2 goals and 0 assists, but as a sort of aside, didn't Stockport go top, last night?They were 10th when he joined them if memory serves...Of course all of that could be in spite of Sarce... :-)
They may have done - I don't tend to look at non-league tables, I just wondered how he was doing.

Sounds like the long throw la' is doing well as manager. Helps to have coin, too.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 30670
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:15 pm

We still haven’t got a player who offered the qualities Sarce did.
Wouldn't you agree that we have by far and away a more cohesive unit now? I would.
On the basis of the last two games sure. But start of the season we were flying too. I guess I just mean that sort of number 10 driving force who can ghost past a player every so often is something we’d love in the squad.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8504
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:09 pm

We certainly missed him, his drive, his goals and as you say his ability to occasionally ghost past a player. I dont think the club did anything wrong though. Usual dressing room omerta meant they were hardly likely to admit to a row between coach and player. Move him on and manage without him as best as you can. They did that.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38005
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:14 pm

"omerta". nice person :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 40430
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:14 pm
"omerta". nice person :lol:
That made me raise an eyebrow too. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 40430
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:25 pm

Mate, nobody drones on about one Friday evening in Hull quite like me, but players are transient, like it or not. The 12 year old me actually cried when Worthy left. It was akin to what I would come to understand as the death of a relative.

But I won't be the only one on here who said we needed to sign Matt Clarke, or that Djorkaeff had another season in him.
Cue for a good thread. Purely a personal thing, but I was fed up a few times when we let players go. I think the most marked for me was Per Frandsen going to Blackburn. I was double delighted when we bought him back. Kev Nolan was another I was really sad to see depart; he was all Bolton.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 pm
Location: Bolton

Re: Captain Fantastic...

Post by Mar » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:07 pm
Cue for a good thread. Purely a personal thing, but I was fed up a few times when we let players go. I think the most marked for me was Per Frandsen going to Blackburn. I was double delighted when we bought him back. Kev Nolan was another I was really sad to see depart; he was all Bolton.
I suspect Nolan knew the writing was on the wall, or at least not at the level that we should be aiming toward.

Okocha, Bergsson, sad to see both of those go but their time was up. Least with Nolan there was plenty left to go.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests