Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:19 pm

Xav coming in to start would surprise me, more so at RWB. It's not his kind of position, even in our system, and he's just back from injury. After all of Evatt's talk about "building them up and no breaking them down" it'd be very odd to see him throw the kid right into 90 minutes on that Burton pitch.

Unless we switch to a 4 at the back, my team is the same as Brommers' with Gordon coming in for John (as I said earlier).

Would love to be in a position to give Xav half an hour or so towards the end, without it being a desperate throw of the dice.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:22 pm

Pitch looks a shocker as well. Definitely some merit in getting it forward as early as possible and playing in the final third. Definitely not a pitch to risk injuries on. That being said I would be disappointed to see such an obviously poor replacement as Gordon start. So I’m probably less up for changes than some.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:26 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:22 pm
Pitch looks a shocker as well. Definitely some merit in getting it forward as early as possible and playing in the final third. Definitely not a pitch to risk injuries on. That being said I would be disappointed to see such an obviously poor replacement as Gordon start.
Do you think John should play 90 minutes every game until the end of the season, regardless of fitness? Or do you want him to try Sadlier?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:28 pm

Do we want to risk upsetting Sadlier so soon in to his BWFC career seeing as he hated that position of LWB at Rotherham?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:30 pm

On Dion Charles: at Oxford there was a point, not long before he came off, when he sprinted at absolutely top whack a full 30 yards to challenge their left-back, more or less in front of our dugout. I felt like I'd rarely ever seen a Wanderer run that fast and hard even when going in the right direction, let alone tracking back. He can't possibly keep that up and I don't think it's any accident that he's been subbed in eight of his nine appearances (the exception being Shrewsbury, where he was too busy scoring a worldie). In fact, Evatt has subbed him on 78 minutes in each of the last three games, which might be a curious coincidence, but it could also be Dion hitting a wall.

It's not just about players running out of breath, either - if they're in the red zone we might start losing them to muscle injuries.

I get the idea of reverting to the back four but for now I'm intrigued by Brommers' idea of getting Aimson in the back line for Burton's aerials, and sending Gethin up the wing. Might even give him and Marlon 45 each. In most cases I doubt we'll see players "rested" entirely out of the 18, it'll be a breather on the bench.

As for LWB - I have a funny feeling he might try, in a home game against lesser oppo (so maybe this weekend v Wombles or the following Tue v Lincoln) he might try Dapo or even Xav on that left-hand side. Dapo could do it passably, IMO - obvz not his best position but basically in our game it's offer high width and track back, both of which he does brilliantly. A good opponent might pick it apart but as I say, against a lower-third team when we're still shit-or-busting after 3pt hauls, it might be tempting.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:31 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:28 pm
Do we want to risk upsetting Sadlier so soon in to his BWFC career seeing as he hated that position of LWB at Rotherham?
It's a very fair question but (as with my point on Dapo above) I think playing LWB for Bolton and Rotherham are very different things indeed.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:52 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:26 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Pitch looks a shocker as well. Definitely some merit in getting it forward as early as possible and playing in the final third. Definitely not a pitch to risk injuries on. That being said I would be disappointed to see such an obviously poor replacement as Gordon start.
Do you think John should play 90 minutes every game until the end of the season, regardless of fitness? Or do you want him to try Sadlier?
Not sure, Sadlier might be worth a go, didn’t look particularly disciplined in the sub appearances. I just don’t rate Gordon. With us being on a roll I’d like to keep winning…but yeah not at the expense of breaking players. Rather play Gordon for one game now than be forced into him playing more later on.

I guess what I’m saying is I get why people are saying play him but I’d be disappointed to see his name on the team sheet.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:52 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:26 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Not sure, Sadlier might be worth a go, didn’t look particularly disciplined in the sub appearances. I just don’t rate Gordon. With us being on a roll I’d like to keep winning…but yeah not at the expense of breaking players. Rather play Gordon for one game now than be forced into him playing more later on.

I guess what I’m saying is I get why people are saying play him but I’d be disappointed to see his name on the team sheet.
I think we can all see when someone is clearly looking a bit shagged. But tbf, the only two people who know are the player and Evatt/management team. My view is we play our strongest XI. Where Evatt thinks that's not possible, I'm sure he'll let us know, through his selection. Regarding John, last season, he played 21 times after joining us in Jan - so I think he'd good for it :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:19 pm
Regarding John, last season, he played 21 times after joining us in Jan - so I think he'd good for it :-)
Hadn't he had an injury-racked couple of seasons? Certainly he got injured very quickly after joining us - same week Kioso was recalled by Luton, IIRC, basically kiboshing both Evatt's wingbacks at once... without which we might not have switched to a back four and who knows how things would have unfolded.

Quick check: he joined on Jan 7th and didn't start a game until Feb 13th. A year yesterday. Happy anniversary, Dec. I liked the way he hurtled round the net to celebrate his goal at Oxford with the away fans. More, please!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:27 pm

That is all correct, I think, but just means that his 19 starts and 2 subs appearances were in a shorter space of time :-)

If I'm still working at 22:30, he can run up and down the park for a few more 90 minutes yet. :-)

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:29 pm

1000_F_336781806_N8vJtOtvU2mzT0FZ5K3i2Wp5Nk9zqiM3.jpg
1000_F_336781806_N8vJtOtvU2mzT0FZ5K3i2Wp5Nk9zqiM3.jpg (424.71 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Will be busting this bad boy out for the game, if you fancy a place on it then same place as before!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:43 pm

'Tis a thing of beauty...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:43 pm
'Tis a thing of beauty...
A joy to behold... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:22 am

Where's the coffee table table to put brew, hobnobs and feet on?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:25 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 pm
Quick check: he joined on Jan 7th and didn't start a game until Feb 13th. A year yesterday. Happy anniversary, Dec. I liked the way he hurtled round the net to celebrate his goal at Oxford with the away fans. More, please!
Dec has already had injuries this season.

I really like him and I'd love for him to play every game, but I'd rather he missed one game than tweaked his hamstring and missed 6.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:02 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:25 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:52 pm
Dec has already had injuries this season.

I really like him and I'd love for him to play every game, but I'd rather he missed one game than tweaked his hamstring and missed 6.
I'm sure that Evatt will make that call, as he sees fit, and doubt anyone would disagree that missing one game > missing 6. If we left it to the forum, we'd have half the team out rested.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:20 am

Admin-DJBlu wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:29 pm
1000_F_336781806_N8vJtOtvU2mzT0FZ5K3i2Wp5Nk9zqiM3.jpg

Will be busting this bad boy out for the game, if you fancy a place on it then same place as before!
Oh, you must live on Tottington Road, DJ. Why didn't you say? 😊
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:42 am

My view is we play our strongest XI. Where Evatt thinks that's not possible, I'm sure he'll let us know, through his selection. Regarding John, last season, he played 21 times after joining us in Jan - so I think he'd good for it :-)
[/quote]

That's my view too. Its a long-shot to go for the play-offs but if we are to have any chance we need our best players on the pitch again tonight.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:30 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:19 pm
Xav coming in to start would surprise me, more so at RWB. It's not his kind of position, even in our system,
As I mentioned in the Oxford thread, on the subject of Amaechi reclaiming a spot, Evatt told the MEN that "he could play one of the wing back positions or even play as a number 10".
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:51 am

Gudnib wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:42 am
My view is we play our strongest XI. Where Evatt thinks that's not possible, I'm sure he'll let us know, through his selection. Regarding John, last season, he played 21 times after joining us in Jan - so I think he'd good for it :-)
That's my view too. Its a long-shot to go for the play-offs but if we are to have any chance we need our best players on the pitch again tonight.
[/quote]
I think the point people are making is that if we are to make the playoffs we'll need to win lots of games, not just tonight's. As such, it's going to be important to manage our squad to try and minimise the chance of injury to our best players and ensure they're available for as many matches as possible. In addition, as DSB alludes to above, it's likely that some players who would be automatic starters if fully fit, likely won't be fully fit after playing a lot of games in a short space of time, and thus we may well be better starting with back-ups who are 100% (especially given that many of those back ups are now also pretty good players).