Pre-season 2022/23

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Pre-season 2022/23

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:15 pm

Bayern Munich it wasn't. Goals were decent but League two ain't going to be a cake walk, new players or no. I played in a few rough leagues, but never cease to be amazed at what refs let players get away with in today's game. Nobody wants a knitting circle, but it isn't surprising so many injuries happen. We've already had a history (still having) of the physio hall of fame and it needs taking to task. No amount of wrongs can ever make rights from any side, and right now (for me) we're just any side who sure aren't going to score many 9-0's this season. Credit to Stockport who certainly weren't overwhelmed by the mighty Wanderers. Back to the drawing board Ian.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:32 am

Think I'll wait for the highlights, with the best will in the world.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:28 am

Not much to learn from that.

Negatives:

We need a new LWB because DJ is crap. Baka is one of the worst technical footballers i've ever seen, his second touch is usually a tackle etc, an absolute donkey of a football player, still he's quick and seems to get a fair few tap-ins so... Still not sold on Sadlier yet, doesn't seem like he has any intention of making an impact on a game.

Positives

Aimson looked comfortable and played well. Dempsey looked good, sharp. Bradley nice goal, looked good to me, very attacking. Everyone else just played as you would expect from last season.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:31 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:28 am
Not much to learn from that.

Negatives:

We need a new LWB because DJ is crap. Baka is one of the worst technical footballers i've ever seen, his second touch is usually a tackle etc, an absolute donkey of a football player, still he's quick and seems to get a fair few tap-ins so... Still not sold on Sadlier yet, doesn't seem like he has any intention of making an impact on a game.

Positives

Aimson looked comfortable and played well. Dempsey looked good, sharp. Bradley nice goal, looked good to me, very attacking. Everyone else just played as you would expect from last season.
Blimey :shock:

It's a PSF. Result is totally irrelevant. All about getting the fitness levels and understanding up.

DJ is bloody great. Baka, apart from all those pesky goals he keeps scoring, is developing into a fine player and if he continues to improve we'll have a real asset on our hands.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:02 am

Match was good. Number of times Baka got into shooting opportunities bodes well as does the execution down that left side. Didn't see much from the right side so maybe it was just an uneven split.

Dion Charles had a goal ruled out on 33 mins rather unfairly I thought but I've seen those given both ways.

We looked good attacking and it took a fine effort for them to equalise. All in all not a bad showing. Just need a bit of composure from Baka when shooting as most of his shots went over the bar , his build up and reading was good though so more positives than negatives for me

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:59 am

Think I may have been forgetting that Stockport are effectively on a level with us and would want to win as much as we did. A case of the singer, not the song being to blame. I do not however, forget that every precious point counts . Okay, this was a sort of unfriendly friendly (is there such an animal?),with nothing at stake, but it's never too soon to start winning. In effect, this season may well be a re-run of the last one with a few different singer in the choirs and no doubt a few surprises. Such is football.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:59 am
Think I may have been forgetting that Stockport are effectively on a level with us and would want to win as much as we did.
You cant go around saying things like that! Blasphemy!

On a serious note the friendly was a good test and was about as competitive as you can get for a pre-season fixture, as we would all expect. Not sure where they are in terms of fitness but i'm sure it did our players a load of good.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:42 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:56 am
Max Conway is getting a decent run out in these friendlies. Are we assuming he’s now the backup LWB to Declan John?
Evatt:
We also have huge belief in Max Conway. We think for a young player he’s got a real chance, we think he’s got a long way to go before he gets to be a first team regular for us, but we see the raw materials there and the potential. We want to create and build our own assets and we think Max is one of those.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... on-pledge/

In the same interview, Evatt also says Iredale will play LWB during pre-season - and during the season itself when occasion demands:
Sometimes in this division as we know when you go away from home, you’re going to face different challenges and it might be that we need a more physical and more defensive minded player in that left wing-back position, so Jack is definitely that and not necessarily losing much quality going the other way.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:42 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Max Conway is getting a decent run out in these friendlies. Are we assuming he’s now the backup LWB to Declan John?
Evatt:
We also have huge belief in Max Conway. We think for a young player he’s got a real chance, we think he’s got a long way to go before he gets to be a first team regular for us, but we see the raw materials there and the potential. We want to create and build our own assets and we think Max is one of those.

In the same interview, Evatt also says Iredale will play LWB during pre-season - and during the season itself when occasion demands:
Sometimes in this division as we know when you go away from home, you’re going to face different challenges and it might be that we need a more physical and more defensive minded player in that left wing-back position, so Jack is definitely that and not necessarily losing much quality going the other way.
Cheers DSB, I hadn’t read that article. Conway and Hutchinson seem like the two most promising youngsters atm. Hopefully we’ll see some of these B team lads in the PJT this season.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:39 pm

Has 'A Trialist' pitched up again yet, this time around?
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:26 am

brommers95 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:53 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:42 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Evatt:

Cheers DSB, I hadn’t read that article. Conway and Hutchinson seem like the two most promising youngsters atm. Hopefully we’ll see some of these B team lads in the PJT this season.
The one I’m most interested in for the B team is the lad who has come from Gillingham, given he has a good level of first team football experience already. Could be in the squad for the pizza trophy or whatever it’s called this year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:57 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:26 am
The one I’m most interested in for the B team is the lad who has come from Gillingham, given he has a good level of first team football experience already. Could be in the squad for the pizza trophy or whatever it’s called this year.
Sithole could be interesting aye - he seems to have the most first team experience. But he’s also trying to get in the deepest part of the pitch, players-wise. Four strikers plus Dapo - and I suspect this lad might be a “wide forward” which we don’t really employ right now. Ilesy pointed out that Sadlier isn’t exactly a natural fit anywhere either.

You would hope the Pizza Plate gave some opps to younger players - again, Conway? - but if we aren’t carrying injuries it’s possible we could just rotate the starters - say for instance rest Dion and Bod and start with Kacha and Baka. Subs could get half an hour and I think with five changes per games we may see more “minutes” subs this season - giving players runouts - although always of course with an eye on the result. It’s a balance - we want promotion and we want cup runs and we want to blood players… but it’s a better balance than having a midfield trio of Thomo, Delf and Johnston…

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:12 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:39 pm
Has 'A Trialist' pitched up again yet, this time around?
Think that'll be quite the quiz question. When did we have a trialist play for us?

Tails07
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Tails07 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:34 pm

Played a secret friendly against Wigan today. Lost 1 nil. Kachunga missed a pen. Wyke scored theirs.

One name I don't recognise second half. "Atkinson" subbed on for Bradley on 60 mins. I assume they mean Aimson and not a new RB!

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/july/f ... thletic-1/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:08 am

Tails07 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:34 pm
Played a secret friendly against Wigan today. Lost 1 nil. Kachunga missed a pen. Wyke scored theirs.

One name I don't recognise second half. "Atkinson" subbed on for Bradley on 60 mins. I assume they mean Aimson and not a new RB!

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2022/july/f ... thletic-1/
Yeah, looks like it:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:54 pm

I would say other than John and Charles that’s the team I am expecting to start the season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:54 pm
I would say other than John and Charles that’s the team I am expecting to start the season.
It’s close to our expected first XI (so far), but we start away at Ipswich, expected to be one of the toughest fixtures; does he play MJ? Or (retain) Iredale as a more defensive LWB option?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:25 pm

I have a hunch he’s going to to try without MJ, probably with him returning to the team at some point to add some steel.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:13 pm

IMG_20220712_141116.jpg
IMG_20220712_141116.jpg (317.07 KiB) Viewed 467 times
Starting XI for today's game at Watford (3pm ko).
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:41 pm

Interesting selection to play a team who were Premier League a couple of months ago.