Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:44 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:12 pm
Given the last 10 pages (didn't count 'em) have been about squad numbers and unknown B teamers. Everyone think we're good to go? I would still like one or two more, CB and either MF or 10.
Good but perhaps not good enough.

Interesting that for today's game at Carlisle - who might tend toward the physical - he's gone with Iredale-Rico-Aimson along the back... but no "destroyer" in midfield, with Thomo/Morley/Dempsey.

I don't hate Aimson but I still think we need an upgrade at RCB – not that Gethin's bad at all, but a bigger lad for competition/option. Further forward, I'd take a genius but I don't think we're shallow now on proper quality.
TBF not sure I've seen enough of Iredale to.judge the DF yet at a competitive level. I think IE thinks with Demps he's covered for MJ DM, but he did seem to get some niggling knocks. Kieran doesn't worry me at 10. Injured Kieran does. I think our strongest XI is in with a playoff shout, I just worry our depth is sufficient.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:13 pm

Just saying Iredale-Santos-Aimson as the biggest back three we can muster, although it may be that Gethin would have played but for a knock.

I still suspect our biggest problem will remain conceding goals we shouldn't, notably from set pieces, but I think our best 18-20 is a good squad. I don't know enough about rivals to compare, but I think we no longer have a clear division between the XI and the backups. Genuinely up for grabs who plays up top, or at 10, or centre-mid. Less so in the back five, including wingbacks, which is why I'd like a new face or two there – another CB (right-sided as we have Johnston and Iredale as lefties), and wingback cover as it's a demanding role to rely on Declan, who's had injury problems, and a kid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:36 pm

Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:13 pm
Just saying Iredale-Santos-Aimson as the biggest back three we can muster, although it may be that Gethin would have played but for a knock.

I still suspect our biggest problem will remain conceding goals we shouldn't, notably from set pieces, but I think our best 18-20 is a good squad. I don't know enough about rivals to compare, but I think we no longer have a clear division between the XI and the backups. Genuinely up for grabs who plays up top, or at 10, or centre-mid. Less so in the back five, including wingbacks, which is why I'd like a new face or two there – another CB (right-sided as we have Johnston and Iredale as lefties), and wingback cover as it's a demanding role to rely on Declan, who's had injury problems, and a kid.
Lordy, that soon came true. Three goals conceded today - two from defensive cock-ups either side of yet Another Set Piece Concession, and this with our three biggest centre-backs on.

I'd rather be happy than right, so I hope this gets sorted.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:28 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... eoin-toal/

Looks like Toal is a step closer to joining a massive club.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:38 am

Eoin Toal, Eoin Toal, Eoin Eoin Toal etc...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:40 am

Toal seems like he should be a good addition to the squad based on the meagre evidence available. Big, seemingly quite athletic and a good age.

I’d be more or less happy with the squad if he’s our only other one in before the season starts, although I do actually agree with Insano that we are perhaps missing a bit of speed and athleticism in the middle of the park. So in an ideal world we’d perhaps add a more mobile sitting player, and for me, also ship Thomason out on a season long loan.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:47 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:40 am
mobile sitting
An interesting concept. It conjurs up an image of Bruce on his mobility scooter dominating the midfield.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:50 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:40 am
Toal seems like he should be a good addition to the squad based on the meagre evidence available. Big, seemingly quite athletic and a good age.

I’d be more or less happy with the squad if he’s our only other one in before the season starts, although I do actually agree with Insano that we are perhaps missing a bit of speed and athleticism in the middle of the park. So in an ideal world we’d perhaps add a more mobile sitting player, and for me, also ship Thomason out on a season long loan.
Interesting with Tomo - he's played a fair chunk of pre-season minutes, indicating he is in the manager's thoughts. He's also in his final underage season, so he wouldn't take up a squad space (not that we're full). Wouldn't surprise me if he hangs about until January and then, if he's not getting much play, is sent on a loan for six months.

Toal seems like a low-risk punt with a potential high value - we'll see. I can't say I'm "satisfied" – I really wanted a killer signing - but I guess we will now have the right number of bodies, even if there are question marks over at least two of the RCBs: Aimson yet to prove himself, Toal moving up the leagues... and Gethin good but not very physical.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:03 am

Looking at the league and the teams in it and summer strengthening I can only conclude it’s going to be a split table like last season where you need more points for promotion and fewer to stay up as I suspect it’s haves v have nots and is becoming more and more championship like.

It means that you can’t afford a slow start or a major blip as catch up is probably not going to be an option. Even with our second half form we couldn’t get into contention as the top were just picking up too many points and I suspect the same this season.

It’s why a fast start is so critical. And DSB is right in that we don’t have that stellar obvious quality signing that I think would offer the hope that we had improved on our quality from last season. I think we are capable of being up there but will rely on key players being on form and luck with injuries.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:34 am

Iredale is better than Liam Gordon or second-season Baptiste. Toal adds depth and potential. Trafford is back. I think we all kinda still pang for Fossey but we have to hope that Evatt/Markham's faith in Bradley is justified.

On the bright side: We're not a bad squad at all. I don't think anyone stands out as poor in a Liam Gordon way - maybe a couple have to prove themselves. We have a stronger 18 or so than any time since Parky's second season.

On the dark side: No marquee signing as such. No major defensive upgrade.

I still suspect our season will be decided by how many sloppy goals we concede.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:47 am

I agree with that - to make me board HMS piss the league I wanted a quality Centre half signing from the championship, experienced head dropping down a level to Marshall our defence in a 3 or a 4. I know nothing about Taol but my worry is he is one to be developed, not the signing I hoped for. Hopefully he is first team ready - I think if Aimson plays the same number of games next season we won’t be any higher than play offs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:37 am

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:34 am
Iredale is better than Liam Gordon or second-season Baptiste. Toal adds depth and potential. Trafford is back. I think we all kinda still pang for Fossey but we have to hope that Evatt/Markham's faith in Bradley is justified.

On the bright side: We're not a bad squad at all. I don't think anyone stands out as poor in a Liam Gordon way - maybe a couple have to prove themselves. We have a stronger 18 or so than any time since Parky's second season.

On the dark side: No marquee signing as such. No major defensive upgrade.

I still suspect our season will be decided by how many sloppy goals we concede.
And I think its fair to say we are in complete agreement.

I think it’s hardly dire. We have a good squad. I just worry that we’re one maybe two experienced quality players short of really competing for automatic promotion.

I expected one or two of those sorts to come in and as they haven’t it feels a little risky to me.

We saw the difference Bod made up top with experience and know how and I hoped for a centre half and a midfield player in that same mould.

I also think that if John or Bradley is out we don’t have adequate cover at wing backs. Putting your wide centre backs there simply isn’t going to cut it and leaves us flat. And that for me is too risky if you intend to mainly play the three at the back system. It’s a blind spot in Evatt for me. Wing back is such a critical role and we have only really one either side who seem natural for the role.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:37 am
Somebody reboot the internet... :mrgreen:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I also think that if John or Bradley is out we don’t have adequate cover at wing backs. Putting your wide centre backs there simply isn’t going to cut it and leaves us flat. And that for me is too risky if you intend to mainly play the three at the back system. It’s a blind spot in Evatt for me. Wing back is such a critical role and we have only really one either side who seem natural for the role.
I too worry about wingbacks. In one way it worries me that on one side Iredale may not be attacking enough, on the other Sadlier may not be defensive enough.

But then, is anyone truly good enough? John has been criticised for not being defensive enough, so was Fossey. It is a very difficult role to fill properly because it needs such a wide skillset - passing, tackling, stamina, speed, recovery, awareness, decision-making, crossing, dribbling.

We won't find a perfect fit at our level - and even at the top level you're somewhat square-pegging it: didn't Conte (having previously used Victor Moses at WB) play Lucas Moura there the other day?

So in one way I worry (like you) that we don't have cover, but look again and we have two on each side, broadly one of each type: Iredale (def) and Dec (att), Bradley (def presumably) and Sads (att). There are question marks there, but there always will be.

Or maybe I'm singing myself to sleep...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:53 pm

Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Somebody reboot the internet... :mrgreen:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I too worry about wingbacks. In one way it worries me that on one side Iredale may not be attacking enough, on the other Sadlier may not be defensive enough.

But then, is anyone truly good enough? John has been criticised for not being defensive enough, so was Fossey. It is a very difficult role to fill properly because it needs such a wide skillset - passing, tackling, stamina, speed, recovery, awareness, decision-making, crossing, dribbling.

We won't find a perfect fit at our level - and even at the top level you're somewhat square-pegging it: didn't Conte (having previously used Victor Moses at WB) play Lucas Moura there the other day?

So in one way I worry (like you) that we don't have cover, but look again and we have two on each side, broadly one of each type: Iredale (def) and Dec (att), Bradley (def presumably) and Sads (att). There are question marks there, but there always will be.

Or maybe I'm singing myself to sleep...
I don’t think a side seriously going for promotion will have Sadlier at rwb too many times. Yes Rotherham played him there a few times and he’s cover for sure.

I just think we’ve lost good balance with Fossey and I’d like another option at least on one side. John is established at what he does but arguably can’t play 46 games. Bradley less established. It’s a critical area and I feel we are just a bit light there. If Bradley and John are on fire and don’t get injured at all it will be fine. But I look at many areas and feel we are adequately covered. Wing back is one where I feel we are not. And that is disregarding quality.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:32 pm

Unless Thomason has improved significantly in the past few months, I don’t think he’s good enough to play for a team with aspirations of promotion from League One.

There’s a player in there, but he still makes a lot of errors, and we’re not in a position where we can afford for him to be learning on the job. Send him out on loan to League Two or the National league and see if he can cut it starting every game. That would also remove the temptation for Evatt to give him game time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:25 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:32 pm
Unless Thomason has improved significantly in the past few months, I don’t think he’s good enough to play for a team with aspirations of promotion from League One.

There’s a player in there, but he still makes a lot of errors, and we’re not in a position where we can afford for him to be learning on the job. Send him out on loan to League Two or the National league and see if he can cut it starting every game. That would also remove the temptation for Evatt to give him game time.
What we lack in midfield is a player who really imposes themselves on the game on and off the ball.

With all the will in the world Thomason isn’t doing that in league one.

Frank Drebin
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frank Drebin » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:25 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:32 pm

What we lack in midfield is a player who really imposes themselves on the game on and off the ball.

With all the will in the world Thomason isn’t doing that in league one.
I agree entirely. I went to Burton away last season and we got brushed aside, we still have a soft centre.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I think it’s hardly dire. We have a good squad. I just worry that we’re one maybe two experienced quality players short of really competing for automatic promotion.

I expected one or two of those sorts to come in and as they haven’t it feels a little risky to me.

We saw the difference Bod made up top with experience and know how and I hoped for a centre half and a midfield player in that same mould.

I think plenty of us are in agreement
We need two Championship quality players for defence and midfield, similar to Bod.
Still good enough to do the job for us, playing Evatt Ball, but not so good that they would get a regular start in the Champ
Also they need to be willing to play for our wages - which are probably a lot less than they have been used to.

I suspect that such players are more likely to come our way at the end of the window, when they and their agent are running out of more lucrative options.
So I am not really surprised that we have not yet seen them arrive.
What goes around may still come around

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:41 pm

bw@bw wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We need two Championship quality players for defence and midfield, similar to Bod.
Still good enough to do the job for us, playing Evatt Ball, but not so good that they would get a regular start in the Champ
Also they need to be willing to play for our wages - which are probably a lot less than they have been used to.

I suspect that such players are more likely to come our way at the end of the window, when they and their agent are running out of more lucrative options.
That’s a fair point I am just not sure Evatt is the end of window wheeler dealer type. I feel he has targets and if they don’t come he doesn’t go for others.

I hope we get those key players and definitely better to be patient and wait if that’s how to get them. I’m just not convinced we are doing that.

Evatt said he wanted two more and one of those is Toal. Which means the couple we need of that sort of level you describe don’t necessarily seem to be on the radar. It could just be Evatt playing it cool. I’m not sitting here sweating. I guess we wait and see.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:41 pm
bw@bw wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:52 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

That’s a fair point I am just not sure Evatt is the end of window wheeler dealer type. I feel he has targets and if they don’t come he doesn’t go for others.

I hope we get those key players and definitely better to be patient and wait if that’s how to get them. I’m just not convinced we are doing that.

Evatt said he wanted two more and one of those is Toal. Which means the couple we need of that sort of level you describe don’t necessarily seem to be on the radar. It could just be Evatt playing it cool. I’m not sitting here sweating. I guess we wait and see.
I think you are right. Evatt and Markham seem to do a lot of research into prospects and how they will fit in with the team and the "project". I do not think they will leap at last minute bargains just because we have a gap.
Maybe that is why we have done better in January. more time to research who is not getting game time at their current club???

Incidentally, does anyone have any reliable figures as to how our wage scales actually do compare to middle of the Championship? How much would a Championship player be giving up to come and join us (unless his club subsidises part of the cost)?
What goes around may still come around