Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:13 pm

Nigel Jemson.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:02 pm

Robert Fleck
Andy Dibble
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:21 pm

Danny Butterfield
Owen Garvan

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:37 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:02 pm
Robert Fleck
Andy Dibble
What?! Andy Dibble was one of our all time best ever loan signings.it was the first time I ever got to truly appreciate the effect that a competent keeper could have on a defence.
May the bridges I burn light your way

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:37 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:02 pm
Robert Fleck
Andy Dibble
What?! Andy Dibble was one of our all time best ever loan signings.it was the first time I ever got to truly appreciate the effect that a competent keeper could have on a defence.
There were still too many WTF moments when he was in goal. He wasn't known as Calamity for nowt :lol:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:35 pm

Blimey. Not my recollection of Dibble at all. He was excellent and way too good for the 3rd division.

Speaking of goalkeepers there is another loan category - those who look great on loan and are then bloody awful when they make the move permanently. Step forward Ben Amos
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:49 pm

Dibble was magnificent for us. Unfortunately for him always remembered for the Gary Crosby incident.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:38 pm

Dibble was one of the best keepers I’d seen play for us at the time. I’ve no idea where the idea he wasn’t brilliant comes from.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:20 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:05 pm

There were still too many WTF moments when he was in goal. He wasn't known as Calamity for nowt :lol:
Well, Sonic, I can only conclude that you've somehow confused the redoubtable Andy Dibble with the hapless Billy Crellin 🤔

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:15 am

Charlie "The Vampire" Wright... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:23 pm

"Why Bolton Wanderers can't keep Conor Bradley's talents a secret!"

Plastering it all over the headlines in the Bolton News might be one reason. Then again, which football manager doesn't already know any way. Might better understand it if he were ours and we were trying to sell him? He isn't and we're not. Enjoy him while he's here.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:23 pm

Plastering it all over the headlines in the Bolton News might be one reason. Then again, which football manager doesn't already know any way. Might better understand it if he were ours and we were trying to sell him? He isn't and we're not. Enjoy him while he's here.
I doubt Jurgen Klopp and his academy adjutants would forget all about him but for the Bolton News coverage.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:27 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:23 pm

I doubt Jurgen Klopp and his academy adjutants would forget all about him but for the Bolton News coverage.
Yeah or anybody else who might have been keeping tabs...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:24 pm

I must say, 45 minutes into Saturday's game and my 'nae Fossey' anxiety was assuaged massively.
We can only hope that Bradley doesn't end up in the seats courtesy of today's Graham Barrows.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:17 am

Evatt says there may be more ins and outs before the window closes. Can't really see any obvious candidates to be shipped out, other than maybe B team players on loan.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... nt-window/

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:45 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:17 am
Evatt says there may be more ins and outs before the window closes. Can't really see any obvious candidates to be shipped out, other than maybe B team players on loan.

Only first team ones that spring to mind could probably be Aimson and Kachunga and only if who we brought in are significantly better and maybe Thomasson out on a loan. Not saying I'd want to se the back of them just that they're the most likely based on current first team pecking order.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:04 am

The_Gun wrote:

My guess is John would be one we’d like to move on and upgrade on. His recurring back injury seems to restrict him and I think the style of play Evatt desires is hard for John to always match with the running and workrate needed.

And there are whispers of interest in him.

Frank Drebin
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frank Drebin » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:12 am

IIRC wasn’t David (diddsy) Lee initially brought in on loan and then became permanent. Fossey would and should have done the same. However more than happy with Connor Bradley but he obviously won’t become permanent.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:23 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:45 am
The_Gun wrote:

Only first team ones that spring to mind could probably be Aimson and Kachunga and only if who we brought in are significantly better and maybe Thomasson out on a loan. Not saying I'd want to se the back of them just that they're the most likely based on current first team pecking order.
Sounds about right. Like TG says, no obvious dead wood to be actively looking to shift, but if better players were available you'd imagine they'd be the 3 to make space.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:31 am

Frank Drebin wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:12 am
IIRC wasn’t David (diddsy) Lee initially brought in on loan and then became permanent.
Yep, Frank, that's right. Phil Neal couldn't afford Didsy, but we bought him after his electric loan spell – and a juicy home FA Cup draw v Liverpool, back when the Cup mattered.

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:23 am
sonicthewhite wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:45 am
The_Gun wrote:

Sounds about right. Like TG says, no obvious dead wood to be actively looking to shift, but if better players were available you'd imagine they'd be the 3 to make space.
Isgrove, maybe? Not dead wood but upgradable, to use the wise verb of this chap:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:04 am
My guess is John would be one we’d like to move on and upgrade on. His recurring back injury seems to restrict him and I think the style of play Evatt desires is hard for John to always match with the running and workrate needed. And there are whispers of interest in him.
I don't buy that he'd ship Declan John unless we have a sudden ability to upgrade significantly. You've noted that we're already underpowered out wide, and it seems Dec's most recent absences haven't been about an overarching injury weakness like an ongoing back or hammy problem, but short illness/knocks. Indeed, he started every game last season from 23rd October onwards except one - Wigan away, a back knock picked up on the day before the game. Three days later he played the full 90 v Pompey, so it's clearly not crippling. If he's not playing every game now, it's due to being rotated out, not being unavailable.

More worryingly as a fan, but reasonable as a business, is the possibility of selling someone who is very much live wood, should the offer get high enough.

On a wider point, we don't need to make space in terms of squad numbers - I think we're still 3 under. I might be tempted to think we could be nearing our (self-imposed) wage ceiling, but clearly the money was there to offer Tucker, Barky and possibly Butcher.

I suspect the incomings may be another big-club loanee of genuine talent - the bar is high now with Bradley and Traf – but we're open to ideas and possibilities. It's not a bad place to be in.