Wycombe to bury you, not praise you. Wycombe (h) Sat 6 Aug @3pm.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Wycombe to bury you, not praise you. Wycombe (h) Sat 6 Aug @3pm.

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:02 pm

Hardly a football game played without both teams having a couple looks at goal. However yesterday, we played at a couple levels above Wycombe. We played some really great stuff. And might I add, scored a few beauties.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:54 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:32 pm
DadBod was struggling with a niggly foot injury in pre-season as well wasn't he? So might be a little behind the rest.
Yeah I think Bodvarrson is just a bit further behind in development though Baka also missed some of pre season.
Evatt:
We wanted some energy at the top end of the pitch and Baka can give us that.

Jon has been nursing a few injuries during pre-season, nothing really major but enough for him not to get up to full speed. The last week, we’ve seen a significant difference in him.

He’s a great man first and foremost. He’s really honest and we’ve been discussing his body and speaking about the injuries he’s been carrying because he just doesn't want to let anybody down.

He loves being here. It’s kind of a home for him now and we know how important he’s going to be for us, so we don’t really need to take risks when players aren’t 100 per cent.

But he showed what he can do when he came on and moving forwards he’ll be a huge player for us.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... t-wycombe/

Worth noting a big run of games coming up from here to Sep 3rd. If we beat Salford in the League Cup - and Worthy won’t countenance any alternative - then we’ll be playing four Tuesdays in a row as well as the Saturdays in between. Everyone will get time on the pitch.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:01 am

As a "candle in the wind" fan these days I'll be in the minority I know, but for me a cup run is far less important than a good league showing. Consistency and improvement must be the targets and getting rid of the "soft goals" tendency that can't be denied we still had last season. Do that and the rest will follow. Amen. ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:11 am

The thing I most like about our four strikers is they all offer something different and I think you can pair any two of the four effectively. Afolyan clearly benefitted from Baka leading the line but also his pace in behind. Charles never stops and can benefit from Afolyan’s vision or the target option with Bod or have him and Baka running all over teams together.

You can have two big men up top because Baka can play on the shoulder and Bod can drop deeper with his football intelligence.

Dapo can play with anyone as he drops into spaces and that works with any of the other three.

It’s really quite a four. I hope we can keep them for the season. It’s without doubt the best set of strikers we’ve had since the premiership days and probably since Big Sam was here and arguably as a set even before that.

It really excites me that we can throw any challenge at a team and can switch if it’s not working. We can go direct. Play over the top. Down the sides. Throw the crosses in. We aren’t restricted there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 am

Yeah - I'm quite happy about our front players. I was concerned about 10, but Dempsey seemed to come in for Lee and do ok. :-) Defensively, we've looked pretty solid generally (all defenses are going to have a few scary moments) and we've conceded 1 in two games which is where we need to be. There was a scenario we were contemplating maybe 1 point or 0 from first two games - we have 4. I think as long as we keep the "start" going this side of Christmas, we'll be in pretty good shape.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:09 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 am
Yeah - I'm quite happy about our front players. I was concerned about 10, but Dempsey seemed to come in for Lee and do ok. :-) Defensively, we've looked pretty solid generally (all defenses are going to have a few scary moments) and we've conceded 1 in two games which is where we need to be. There was a scenario we were contemplating maybe 1 point or 0 from first two games - we have 4. I think as long as we keep the "start" going this side of Christmas, we'll be in pretty good shape.
Quick tactical note that Evatt described Saturday's midfield formation as MJ sat so both Morley and Dempsey could make forward runs - in other words the Klopp-style "two free 8s". Evatt noted we can play one behind two like that, or a '10' in front of two.

And as with the forward options - we now have five subs per game so we can, if the manager chooses to, change things quite early on.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:24 am

It’s not just this month that’s tough

Right through to the end of September we are playing last year’s top teams (or those relegated from championship
What goes around may still come around

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:25 am

Right through to the end of September we are playing last year’s top teams (or those relegated from championship
I will be happy if we are in the top 6 on September 30th
What goes around may still come around

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:32 am

bw@bw wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:24 am

Aye. Quantity as well as quality of opponents, too: we have another two midweekers in September. So if we beat Salford we will have six midweekers in seven - 14 games in 50 days.

Opponents range from last season's contenders (Wycombe, Wednesday, MK Dons, Plymouth, Pompey) plus Posh through Charlton, Cheltenham, Morecambe and Port Vale to cup oppos Salford, Tranmere, Crewe and whoever we'd play if we beat Salford. And being Bolton, you could make a case for us losing any one of those...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:09 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 am
Quick tactical note that Evatt described Saturday's midfield formation as MJ sat so both Morley and Dempsey could make forward runs - in other words the Klopp-style "two free 8s". Evatt noted we can play one behind two like that, or a '10' in front of two.

And as with the forward options - we now have five subs per game so we can, if the manager chooses to, change things quite early on.
Again I thought we looked better without a number 10. The two 8’s had more freedom off the ball which made us more fluid and it let Dapo drop into the holes where he found space from the centre backs.

I prefer that setup and it would accommodate Sheehan better than anything else we’ve played too.

Still come back to, MJ has no backup or replacement especially if we play the single pivot as Evatt described. MJ also had his best game for us in a long while Saturday and clearly that setup suits him down to the ground.

But we need another for me.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:30 pm

Cracking weather, cracking performance.

Rode our luck once or twice, but we were good value and very, very convincing in the end.

No point over summarising.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:13 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:30 pm
Cracking weather, cracking performance.

Rode our luck once or twice, but we were good value and very, very convincing in the end.

No point over summarising.
This.

But just to say that could have been 6-3 easily. Excellent game. Good atmosphere. Shit ref.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:41 am

Alternative Wycombe commentary from an old friend.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:57 am

The Draco comparison is rather amusing.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:59 pm