No More of the usual, please - Morecambe (H) Tue 16 Aug @7.45pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Result prediction

Poll ended at Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:50 pm

Bolton by 3+
21%
Bolton by 2
36%
Bolton by 1
29%
Draw
7%
Morecambe by 1
7%
Morecambe by 2
No votes
Morecambe by 3+
No votes

Total votes: 14

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: No More of the usual, please - Morecambe (H) Tue 16 Aug @7.45pm

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:35 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:32 am
The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:17 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:15 am
Thought aimson was excellent. Not sure santos gets straight back in.
Aimson was excellent, but pretty sure Santos does get straight back in.
That's my question. I wasn't there last night but all the reports/comment say that he was excellent.
Could there be a case for playing them both? But then who misses out?
Might depend on the opponent - Wednesday are one of the best squads in the league - how are they aerially?

Aimson is more suited to the central centre half in the three because the other two are expected to push on and start attacks with the ball at their feet.

It’s a tough message to him to say come in, and no matter how well you play you are dropped when our captain who managed to get two bookings in a half last week will be straight back in. I think on merit he keeps his place…but I get that it won’t necessarily work like that - get the captain back in etc.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:47 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:03 am
Morecambe aren’t exactly the most threatening going forward, especially without Stockton, so I don’t think it’s sensible to judge Aimson’s merits relative to Santos on that one performance.

Overall Santos is the better player, the club captain, and will remain an automatic starter for the foreseeable future.
We can judge them both against Port Vale where Aimson looked the more assured defender.

Santos is better on the ball. Defensively I think Aimson is better. So I don’t think it’s as clear cut. Especially given the form Aimson is showing.

I fully expect Evatt to pick Santos but we won’t find out whether that’s the right call till after the result.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 am

Well, I mean we won't find out ever. That's not how it all works.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:56 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:46 am
Well, I mean we won't find out ever. That's not how it all works.
Needs some FACTS!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:00 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:03 am
Morecambe aren’t exactly the most threatening going forward, especially without Stockton, so I don’t think it’s sensible to judge Aimson’s merits relative to Santos on that one performance.

Overall Santos is the better player, the club captain, and will remain an automatic starter for the foreseeable future.
I doubt anyone would (judge merits on one game). From a shaky start ball playing (rather than defending) last season, Aimson's become more comfortable on the ball and he is less "clumsy looking" than Santos. I doubt Evatt will drop Santos if he's available.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:12 am

Aimson has looked much more assured in the middle of the three than he has on the right of it, where he is more called upon to create and pass. He defended really well, on the floor and in the air, against the limited attacks of Vale and Morecambe.

Before the game, our boi Rioja was concerned about Aimson being run at by Cole Stockton, who is hardly a snake-hipped whippet. That didn't worry me but I would be more concerned by Wednesday's wider armoury. Immense target man Michael Smith is still out injured, so that's a thing, but they still started last night with Callum Paterson and Lee Gregory, hardly midgets, although neither has scored yet in four games. Indeed, apart from a Josh Windass pen, all their goals have come from midfielders - Tyreeq Bakinson, Fisayo Dele-Bashiru (2), Marvin Johnson and Dennis Adeniran in the cup.

If it were me, I would play Santos as he has a wider skillset. Aimson deserves applause and should be introduceable for Santos at any time, including mid-match, but I would reinstate the skipper.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:49 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:12 am
Aimson has looked much more assured in the middle of the three than he has on the right of it, where he is more called upon to create and pass. He defended really well, on the floor and in the air, against the limited attacks of Vale and Morecambe.

Before the game, our boi Rioja was concerned about Aimson being run at by Cole Stockton, who is hardly a snake-hipped whippet. That didn't worry me but I would be more concerned by Wednesday's wider armoury. Immense target man Michael Smith is still out injured, so that's a thing, but they still started last night with Callum Paterson and Lee Gregory, hardly midgets, although neither has scored yet in four games. Indeed, apart from a Josh Windass pen, all their goals have come from midfielders - Tyreeq Bakinson, Fisayo Dele-Bashiru (2), Marvin Johnson and Dennis Adeniran in the cup.

If it were me, I would play Santos as he has a wider skillset. Aimson deserves applause and should be introduceable for Santos at any time, including mid-match, but I would reinstate the skipper.
I think that’s fair enough, santos when he’s on it is definitely the more complete player given his ability on the ball and the added height. When he’s not on it is when we have problems. And you can cite instances last season, funnily enough Sheffield Wednesday away where he switches off in key moments in the box and we concede. I feel Aimson is a more solid customer but won’t hit the same heights as Santos when he’s at his best.

I do think though that if you are running a squad in the way Evatt talks about it’s really difficult If someone is left out having had two virtually flawless performances straight away to make way.

But I expect Santos to play. I just am not as convinced by him as Evatt and others seem to be. Not that I don’t think he has everything to be a superb defender I just find his actual defending a bit inconsistent and not always as assured or composed as is ideal. I also think his red at Port Vale is not something we can just pretend was not to some extent his own fault and a lack of control. It absolutely was and I’d probably say if that happens it’s up to the player to win their place back rather than by default.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:15 am

Whilst Aimson was solid defensively last night, he did play a suicidal ball in the first half which Morecambe failed to capitalise on.

Clearly two very different players, but for me Santos dominates far more games than Aimson does, even if he can chuck in the odd mistake.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:49 am
I do think though that if you are running a squad in the way Evatt talks about it’s really difficult If someone is left out having had two virtually flawless performances straight away to make way.
See, I find this interesting on a couple of levels. Had we lost last night (or they'd snatched a draw), in a similar performance, I'm fairly sure I'd have been saying "but we didn't have our strongest available team out"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:35 am

It would be harder to 'drop' Aimson if we weren't making five changes for some games. Evatt has said several times he'll rotate his squad, everyone will get game time, etc.

I note he half-apologised to Sadlier for not getting him on earlier.

“It’s important because we have so many games that we have to manage the workload. We have players returning. Lloyd (Isgrove) and Josh Sheehan played in the B team today and came through fine, it’s great to see them back. Young George (Thomason) will be back against Aston Villa after suspension as well, and then Dion (Charles) is back for Saturday. Eoin Toal is back training tomorrow, so all of a sudden again it’s getting more difficult, but it’s the nature of the beast. I’m delighted with what we’ve got available.

“I think Will [Aimson] is a really good player and I think he’s an important part of the squad. “e are blessed that we have some really good options all over the pitch. Kieran Sadlier, I’m wanting him to get on to create something for us and attack, and it’s just so tough when it’s so tight to make those decisions because Kieran’s more of an attacker. He's a great player and a big player for us as well so I just want them all to stick with it. It's early days, we are only five games in but there are lots of positives and if they all stick together, it is going to be a good season - but there is a long way to go.”

Interesting tone to that - essentially calling for patience. And certainly not saying "We're No.1" with the big foam hands.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... wednesday/

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:51 pm

Bradley:
"That’s my second. I am buzzing. I try to get myself into the box and thankfully it fell for me and I managed to tuck it away.

"Coming here I knew it would be a big step but obviously the gaffer has helped me, but Geth (Jones) has been a massive help too during the games, so it has helped me already. I'm loving playing with him, those triangles on the right-hand side. He helps me a lot, talks me through the game, gives me bits of advice during games.

“Probably the physical side of things has surprised me a bit but I feel like I've dealt with it well. I think before the first few games I was nervous. Now I'm feeling more comfortable among the lads so I'm definitely getting better, game by game, and hopefully it continues that way.

"The support all the way through at Bolton is unbelievable. They never stop singing, do they? It has been brilliant and scoring in front of them was superb, too."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-24778997

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:18 pm

Just catching up on last night's comments as I didn't get back from the game until gone 11.
Anyway, really surprised at the praise Dempsey is receiving he was on the left for the first half hour or so and I thought he presented zero threat unable to cross or pass with his left foot. He then switched to the right , swap with kachunga, and he was a different player. Second half he linked well with Bradley.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:00 pm

Amazing game by Bradley. Was a class above. Very difficult for Sadlier to get in even in rotation. Top side Sheffield Wednesday next followed by a Premier side on TV. What should Evatt do? Bring in Sadlier for one of them? Which one? And Isgrove who I rate is back. Spoilt for options.

I do believe we need an additional quality player in the middle to make good our drive to automatic promotion. We are a good team but yesterday showed me that with all the possession we needed someone who can make something happen out of nothing. Bradley, Trafford and maybe Dapo. We need one more.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:50 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:18 pm
Just catching up on last night's comments as I didn't get back from the game pub until gone 11.

Fixed that for you :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:13 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:00 pm
Amazing game by Bradley. Was a class above. Very difficult for Sadlier to get in even in rotation. Top side Sheffield Wednesday next followed by a Premier side on TV. What should Evatt do? Bring in Sadlier for one of them? Which one? And Isgrove who I rate is back. Spoilt for options.

I do believe we need an additional quality player in the middle to make good our drive to automatic promotion. We are a good team but yesterday showed me that with all the possession we needed someone who can make something happen out of nothing. Bradley, Trafford and maybe Dapo. We need one more.
I’d let Sadlier have a go at LWB maybe not on Saturday…maybe against Villa…

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:15 pm

Derek Adams claims Morecambe could have had one, and possibly all three points against the Whites on Tuesday. Source, Manchester Evening News. Gee, we had a lucky escape then. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:27 pm

Did Trafford really kick the ball out the stadium? :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:47 am

jmjhb wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:27 pm
Did Trafford really kick the ball out the stadium? :D
Aye, wasn't across the full apex though. The mouse.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:29 am

I know it’s not nice to see someone other than Jonny Evans seriously injured but I did have a good chuckle at their left back just getting absolutely burned by Bradley to the point he’s pulled a muscle. Outrageous! We can’t keep him quiet for long I am afraid - he’ll be getting some kicks soon.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:41 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:29 am
I know it’s not nice to see someone other than Jonny Evans seriously injured but I did have a good chuckle at their left back just getting absolutely burned by Bradley to the point he’s pulled a muscle. Outrageous! We can’t keep him quiet for long I am afraid - he’ll be getting some kicks soon.
We can't keep him quiet at all. I went to the offie near me after the match to be greeted by the bloke behind the till with "Bradley scored again for you, he's sick, innit"