January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:18 am

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:27 pm
Yes, how I read it as well. Looks likely that John and Baka will leave, possibly Sadlier.

Will be slightly sad to see John leave as he was a big part of that great run to win promotion from League Two. There’s a good player in there but I don’t think he’s in the right head space/has the right attitude - it’ll likely hold him back his whole career.

Baka, thanks for the memories and the chant, but if we want to have any hope of getting promoted out of this league we need much better than him even as a rotation option.

Evatt seems to like Sadlier as an impact sub and will probably want to keep him around, but he clearly doesn’t fit into the current system so can see him requesting a move to get regular football.
Yes to all that, I'd imagine.

There's been a feeling for a while now that all was not well with John and, as Worthy said, it's hard to see Sads being happy when he's getting the same deal that caused him to leave his previous club. Baka is on that list of "if you can improve on him why wouldn't you?" players.

I think you could form an argument for them all having been misused/unlucky/etc this season, but ultimately it doesn't matter and none of them is so good that we have to stress about it.

Their positions/roles, though, we do have issues in. We have to improve the squad and that means players shipping out.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:39 am

Cheltenham Town fans are crossing their fingers the Nlundulu rumor is true, which doesn't really fill me with confidence, neither does the fact he's got 6 goals in his career so far. I cant really see a good reason to have 6 average forwards rather than one or two good ones, and a few to make up the numbers but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:55 am

Most important transfer news so far - great to see Ghost back.

In this morning’s news, Evatt confirms Baka as a biddee: “We have had bids for Baka but at the moment they don’t meet our valuation, so that is the way it stays.” Baka was signed on a free and is out of contract in summer.

Also, Rotherham’s manager has quoshed the Eaves rumour: “It's news to me. Tom tore his hamstring the other day. "It's not a massive tear but it's not a small tear either. It's one of those mid-range ones." You know the type.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... rd-others/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:01 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:39 am
Cheltenham Town fans are crossing their fingers the Nlundulu rumor is true, which doesn't really fill me with confidence, neither does the fact he's got 6 goals in his career so far. I cant really see a good reason to have 6 average forwards rather than one or two good ones, and a few to make up the numbers but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I've heard the opposite from a few Cheltenham fans, so not sure what the common opinion is there if you've heard them wanting rid.

Regardless, I'd assume Markham and Evatt would say it's not about what he's done there, but rather what he'd do here. Same went for Santos, Dapo, Dad Bod etc. Though they've not all been hits. Far from it.

Iles is reporting we have "bids" in for Baka, but that they don't yet meet our valuation. Actual cash bids. For a Bolton player. It's a whole new year, boys.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:04 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:55 am
Hello, DSB. Nice to be back. I've been frantically busy for a bit, but it's calmed down a bit now. The January window seems as good a time as ever to pop back up.

Any substantial links other than Nlundulu knocking about?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:12 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:04 am
Hello, DSB. Nice to be back. I've been frantically busy for a bit, but it's calmed down a bit now. The January window seems as good a time as ever to pop back up.

Danny Ward…

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:12 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:04 am

Yeah, I've been absent myself for a couple of months. Hope all good for you. As you say, window is a good time to return; a faster news agenda helps avoid the sadly typical "You're wrong" / "No YOU'RE wrong" discourse.

Not that I've seen. Links with Danny Ward and Tom Eaves that felt more like 2+2 fillers. Evatt denied the Ward rumour, Matt Taylor (the Rotherham boss not our old mate) denied the Eaves one. And that is pretty much it so far.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:44 am

Evatt is suggesting multiple clubs have offered cash for Baka? Blimey.

My guess is it’s more likely that one club (Salford?) have made a tiny bid, and we’re trying to drive the price up. Regardless, if we could get more than £100k for him that would be a bit of a result.

John has another year left on his contract so in theory would be a more valuable asset, but given he’s clearly completely out of favour we’re not exactly in a strong bargaining position. I’d be happy with any kind of fee for him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:48 am

Baka has pace. But this season he’s looked clumsy and not like scoring much. So I do think getting a fee albeit a small one and finding an ‘upgrade’ makes sense.

The lad at Cheltenham sounds like he would be an upgrade even if not a massive one. The issue being whether he’d get enough game time here.

For me and I offer this opinion with caution, our best front pairing is JDB and Charles.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:48 am
Baka has pace. But this season he’s looked clumsy and not like scoring much. So I do think getting a fee albeit a small one and finding an ‘upgrade’ makes sense.

The lad at Cheltenham sounds like he would be an upgrade even if not a massive one. The issue being whether he’d get enough game time here.

For me and I offer this opinion with caution, our best front pairing is JDB and Charles.
This really. A bit underwhelming but still a slight potential upgrade on our 3rd (4th?) choice forward, and at this stage, only temporary.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:25 am

I may be reading too much into this, but in this year's BWFC Calendar, I note that Bakayoko features alongside the loanees and Dixon in the earlier months. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:32 am

Baka is clearly behind Dapo as well as Charles and Bod.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:16 am

Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:32 am
Baka is clearly behind Dapo as well as Charles and Bod.
I think we need to find a role for Dapo because I don’t think up front works well for him enough times. He is ok when there is space to play into but when it’s tight it simply doesn’t suit him. Nor does it suit Charles either but that’s a different story.

Charles looks noticeably better when he has a partner who can do the dirty back to goal work. For me at least.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:14 pm

Here's a bit of a radical thought. If Evatt is genuinely interested in Nlundulu he could view him as another project, a la Dapo. If that's the case, and here comes the curve ball, could Dapo be one of the ones who could leave? It's obvious Dapo works best wide left but we don't play that system anymore and he certainly isn't a LWB. As has already been mentioned he's also hit and miss as an out and out striker or as a no10. When Evatt came in much was made about Moneyball. It hasn't happened yet so could this be the first test of that?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:25 pm

Interesting hypothetical sonic. I'm sure we would be open to the possibility and I could see it happening for a few reasons, when playing our system the players shine and look like a decent addition that would help other teams. Think Fossey, Dapo, Baka....

When their stock is at a premium so will any wage demands they could get so the players wouldn't want to miss the opportunity. Its a job at the end of the day. I suspect Baka looks a decent prospect to a few given how well he played last season so you could see that panning out rather than him signing a contract again with us.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:12 pm

Connor Wickham's contract at FGR has come to an end and he's now a free agent.

Probably doesn't fit our profile, but for a short-term deal, I think there's a player in there worth the punt. 9 Goals this season
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:41 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:12 pm

Probably doesn't fit our profile, but for a short-term deal, I think there's a player in there worth the punt. 9 Goals this season
Interesting he's left. As you say, doesn't really fit the stated profile - he's 30 in March - but an intriguing freebie.
sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:14 pm
could Dapo be one of the ones who could leave?
I do wonder - Rangers scouts have been watching us, and while there was rumoured Trafford interest (curious considering he extended his City contract in summer), could they have been rewatching Dapo, who they were linked with last year?

I've said before and a 3-0 win doesn't change it - I'm not seeing many options the "big team" scouts could be looking at. Which is not to say the players aren't good enough or can't be coached, just... it's not a squad brimming with surefire higher-tier players. Dapo seems most likely.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:06 pm

Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:41 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:12 pm

Interesting he's left. As you say, doesn't really fit the stated profile - he's 30 in March - but an intriguing freebie.
sonicthewhite wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:14 pm
could Dapo be one of the ones who could leave?
I do wonder - Rangers scouts have been watching us, and while there was rumoured Trafford interest (curious considering he extended his City contract in summer), could they have been rewatching Dapo, who they were linked with last year?

I've said before and a 3-0 win doesn't change it - I'm not seeing many options the "big team" scouts could be looking at. Which is not to say the players aren't good enough or can't be coached, just... it's not a squad brimming with surefire higher-tier players. Dapo seems most likely.
Take Dapo out because I don’t think he’s been great this season but we know he can be brilliant in the right role there are only two (actual not loanee) Bolton players I think clubs higher up the ladder should be interested in….

See if you can guess which ones….

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:06 pm
Take Dapo out because I don’t think he’s been great this season but we know he can be brilliant in the right role there are only two (actual not loanee) Bolton players I think clubs higher up the ladder should be interested in….

Great game. I would guess Toal because he hasn't really enraged you yet and Aimson because he's not Santos :mrgreen:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:03 pm

Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:06 pm

Great game. I would guess Toal because he hasn't really enraged you yet and Aimson because he's not Santos :mrgreen:
Sadlier, because he's better than Evatt. Or whatever it was he said.